ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th November 2019, 07:04 PM   #1481
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Gad dammit. Once again I am in a position where my job is redefined to include tasks and functions that I didn't sign up for.

T1 agents now provide overflow switchboard assistance. This means taking calls from members of the public. I swore to myself that I would never, ever take calls from the public. Government employees have a Code of Conduct.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 07:07 PM   #1482
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Gad dammit. Once again I am in a position where my job is redefined to include tasks and functions that I didn't sign up for.

T1 agents now provide overflow switchboard assistance. This means taking calls from members of the public. I swore to myself that I would never, ever take calls from the public. Government employees have a Code of Conduct.
Seriously, can they change your job description unilaterally without consultation? Your local rep might have something to say about it...
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 07:10 PM   #1483
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Seriously, can they change your job description unilaterally without consultation? Your local rep might have something to say about it...
Yeah, they can do that. Switch calls come in on our phone system already and the main switch operators are already part of our section - I just need to be added to another queue. In most peoples' estimation it's a very, very minor change. To me, it's feeling kind of catastrophic right now.

It's fine. I'll be fine.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 07:13 PM   #1484
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Yeah, they can do that. Switch calls come in on our phone system already and the main switch operators are already part of our section - I just need to be added to another queue. In most peoples' estimation it's a very, very minor change. To me, it's feeling kind of catastrophic right now.

It's fine. I'll be fine.
Right. Pay-rise it is, then. Added responsibility means a higher grade which is more pay.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 07:21 PM   #1485
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Right. Pay-rise it is, then. Added responsibility means a higher grade which is more pay.
Nope. Then I'd have to re-apply for the job.

Like I said, it really is a tiny, tiny change. Most of the T1s already do it and were hired on that basis. I've been here the longest, so I was hired before the change. Everyone else who was taken on before that has gone. I'm the last one left still functioning under an out-of-date list of responsibilities. I was hoping they'd forgotten about me, and that I'd get an interview and be selected for the T2 position I applied for before they remembered.

- Randall Munroe
Old 5th November 2019, 07:33 PM   #1486
Elvis666
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
It usually means only warnings and no errors on the compile. Well "no" is maybe a little aspirational.
Several decades ago, I worked as a programmer in an insurance company's actuarial department. The company was big on hiring Arthur Andersen consultants to maintain their core mainframe systems. It became a constant headache for those of us in-house, because those consultants had that exact definition of a successfully completed project, compiled with no errors.
Old 6th November 2019, 03:09 AM   #1487
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Nope. Then I'd have to re-apply for the job.

Like I said, it really is a tiny, tiny change. Most of the T1s already do it and were hired on that basis. I've been here the longest, so I was hired before the change. Everyone else who was taken on before that has gone. I'm the last one left still functioning under an out-of-date list of responsibilities. I was hoping they'd forgotten about me, and that I'd get an interview and be selected for the T2 position I applied for before they remembered.
Itís still a change in your terms and conditions. What does your contract say?

It might seem unfair on your colleagues, but if you were hired under different terms, then that should be kept to.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 02:04 PM   #1488
Yalius
Muse

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Itís still a change in your terms and conditions. What does your contract say?

It might seem unfair on your colleagues, but if you were hired under different terms, then that should be kept to.
I'm pretty sure there's a clause somewhere in there mentioning "...and other duties as assigned" or similar. It's not like he's being asked to go put in hours working a crab boat.
Yalius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 06:22 PM   #1489
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

One of the most ominous phrases to overhear as you walk past the roster coordinator's desk:

"...all hands on deck..."

- Randall Munroe
Old 6th November 2019, 06:35 PM   #1490
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).

It's fine. I'll be fine.
Talk to the Practice Manager / HR Manager.

Explain your reasons (you don't have to tell us).

It may be you need more training of many kinds. (Crisis management, code of conduct, guidelines, strategies, etc.)

And/or you could need to get a medical certificate or letter from a medical professional.

DO NOT wing it and risk stress, error, i.e: the main thing the manager would be able to use to provide resources and time is not to risk losing clients, causing complaints and bad publicity.
Old 6th November 2019, 06:51 PM   #1491
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Oh my word. I just made an older woman very happy.

She was having trouble expressing herself, and didn't have a lot of technical expertise. She was having a problem connecting to RAS on her personal device (so I couldn't use remote access). The problem eventually was resolved by downloading a new version of the Citrix Workspace App from citrix.com.

It was a struggle, and it took half an hour, but she was so happy at the end of it. She was so very happy.

- Randall Munroe
Old 6th November 2019, 06:53 PM   #1492
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
Talk to the Practice Manager / HR Manager.

Explain your reasons (you don't have to tell us).

It may be you need more training of many kinds. (Crisis management, code of conduct, guidelines, strategies, etc.)

And/or you could need to get a medical certificate or letter from a medical professional.

DO NOT wing it and risk stress, error, i.e: the main thing the manager would be able to use to provide resources and time is not to risk losing clients, causing complaints and bad publicity.
No, it's fine. Really. I appreciate your concern, I really do, but I'm honestly okay now. I just freaked out a bit at the time.

And you never know - I might get the Tier 2 position I applied for which would avoid the entire situation. I should be hearing about that soon.

- Randall Munroe
Old 6th November 2019, 08:33 PM   #1493
Faydra
sinning sybarite

Good Luck! Hope you get it!
Faydra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 10:14 PM   #1494
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Faydra View Post
Good Luck! Hope you get it!
Thanks. So do I.

It will mean that I can't post here as much, though.

- Randall Munroe
Old 6th November 2019, 11:44 PM   #1495
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Thanks. So do I.

It will mean that I can't post here as much, though.

That's okay. You can go ahead and post in some of the other threads instead, if you want.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 12:20 AM   #1496
Orphia Nay
Tagger

No, it's fine. Really. I appreciate your concern, I really do, but I'm honestly okay now. I just freaked out a bit at the time.

And you never know - I might get the Tier 2 position I applied for which would avoid the entire situation. I should be hearing about that soon.
Just be certain you're not saying that because you're also a bit afraid of talking to the HR manager.

Glad you helped the lady.
Old 8th November 2019, 01:08 AM   #1497
This is The End

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Just an FYI, most "registry cleaners" will cause more problems than they solve; especially the general purpose ones that will "make your system run faster and better!". There are decent programs for specific things (clean up poorly uninstalled programs, for example, or specific registry errors), and some that do a guided clean (requiring the user to know what should and shouldn't be removed) that can be better, but the automatic ones that do everything for you? I wouldn't touch one if I had to.

ETA: And that wasn't specifically directed at you or anything, just jumped off your post to talk about the topic

Yep. I assumed the concept of a "smart registry cleaner" being bunk would go without saying in this thread.
Old 8th November 2019, 02:01 AM   #1498
Orphia Nay
Tagger

matt blaze
@mattblaze

15h

"The three most important things experts understand about software security:

1. Software is unbelievably unreliable and insecure.

2. No, really, you have no idea.

3. It’s actually even worse than that."
Old 8th November 2019, 06:21 AM   #1499
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
matt blaze
@mattblaze

15h

"The three most important things experts understand about software security:

1. Software is unbelievably unreliable and insecure.

2. No, really, you have no idea.

3. Itís actually even worse than that."
And have added one more

And people.. well people what more do.you have to say...
Old 8th November 2019, 09:58 AM   #1500
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
And have added one more

And people.. well people what more do.you have to say...
At the root, all errors are user errors...

Old 8th November 2019, 10:39 AM   #1501
Wudang
BOFH

The phrase "idiot user" is a tautology.
PEBCAK.
LART
etc
Old 8th November 2019, 10:47 AM   #1502
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

: D
Perhaps, but I suspect that this is true only for definitions of "user" that are too broad to be useful in problem analysis and resolution.

"Program doesn't work because user can't remember to sign in properly" is very different from "program doesn't work because the developer introduced a bug". Categorizing them both as "user error" makes troubleshooting impossible. The very first thing you'd have to do is establish separate subcategories for "user-user error" and "developer-user error". Ultimately, the super-category of "user error" becomes completely irrelevant.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 10:58 AM   #1503
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Perhaps, but I suspect that this is true only for definitions of "user" that are too broad to be useful in problem analysis and resolution.

"Program doesn't work because user can't remember to sign in properly" is very different from "program doesn't work because the developer introduced a bug". Categorizing them both as "user error" makes troubleshooting impossible. The very first thing you'd have to do is establish separate subcategories for "user-user error" and "developer-user error". Ultimately, the super-category of "user error" becomes completely irrelevant.
My mentor in programming said there are two types of error: DSU and DSP, where DSU id Dumb **** User, and DSP is Dumb **** Programmer.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 11:05 AM   #1504
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
My mentor in programming said there are two types of error: DSU and DSP, where DSU id Dumb **** User, and DSP is Dumb **** Programmer.
That seems a little too simplistic, but is probably useful for prodding inexperienced developers to get more serious about writing good code.

---

ETA: Especially in complex systems. There are whole categories of error that arise not from anyone being dumb, but from developing complex systems with a greater surface area of interactions than can be reasonably comprehended by any one person or group of people. Nobody's being a dumb ****. In fact, a lot of people are being quite smart. But the error arises anyway, because nobody can predict everything in advance and some things only get discovered when a particular use case is invented.

A programmer isn't a dumb **** for failing to predict all the possible use cases of his code in emergent systems of arbitrary complexity.

Last edited by theprestige; 8th November 2019 at 11:08 AM.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM   #1505
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Me: Can I get the asset number of your computer please?

Them: Where can I find that?

Me: It's on a sticker on the outside of your computer.

Them: Um, I can't find one. It doesn't have one.

Me: Every computer owned by the department must have one.

Them: Oh, there's one on my laptop, but that's not...

Me: Yes, the laptop is your computer. That's what I need.

Them: Oh.

- Randall Munroe
Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM   #1506
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Goes along with:

Me: Please reboot your computer.

Them: OK, I turned it off and on again.

Me: GACK! ...OK, let's wait for it to reboot.

Them: Oh it came back instantly.

Me: ...what?? It should still be rebooting now...

Them: No, I turned off the power button on the screen and then turned it back on. That's what you meant, right?

Me: ....*SIGH*...
Old Yesterday, 09:34 PM   #1507
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Just finished my switch assist training. This is fine. It's going to be easy.

- Randall Munroe
Old Yesterday, 10:47 PM   #1508
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Just finished my switch assist training. This is fine. It's going to be easy.
It will all fall apart at the first phone call.

Good luck!
Old Yesterday, 11:01 PM   #1509
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

It will all fall apart at the first phone call.

Good luck!
Well, I answered it wrongly - I answered with my normal Service Desk greeting rather than a switchboard greeting. But as my trainer said, the callers don't usually even hear that.

It's fine. This is easy.

- Randall Munroe

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet