ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Education

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th November 2019, 07:42 AM   #81
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I wonder if my pronunciation of words is the future of English. Like I said above, I moved around a lot during my youth and watched a lot of television, so I have a generic American nonregional accent. I have many if not most of the common word mergers like Mary, merry, marry. My vowels are mostly similar. I soften most hard consonants, like changing the T in "water" to a soft D. I rush through and smooth over syllables that add complexity to words: it's "Wensday" and "Febuary". Every shortcut is taken, every complexity is simplified, and every rough bit is smoothed. The result is I speak very quickly with the least possible effort exerted. That strikes me as very American! I bet this is the trend English will follow up until it splits into entirely different languages.
Old 6th November 2019, 07:48 AM   #82
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Klee-a? I say "nuclear" exactly like the words "new clear".
Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post
Yep, me too. Glenn's from the south of England, they talk funny there.
Cor blimey guvn'r, strike a light and no mistake! We talks proper, we does.

Mr Cholmondley Warner and a short film about that Mr Hitler (who, as it happens, was born a cockney) :

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by GlennB; 6th November 2019 at 07:53 AM.
GlennB is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 07:34 PM   #83
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I'm Australian. I say "New Klee Ya"

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 09:32 PM   #84
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
And how do you say "Australian"?
Old 6th November 2019, 10:10 PM   #85
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
"Uh Stray Yn"

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 10:36 PM   #86
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by jadebox View Post
The one that I notice often is in military shows when a character speaks about "ordinance disposal" or that the "ordinance" will explode. It happens in NCIS about once or twice a season.

But, that may be a case of using the wrong word instead of mispronouncing.

To be fair, it could also be a matter of mishearing. The distinction between the two can be difficult to articulate, and the threshold between not pronouncing it properly and not hearing it properly is pretty slim.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 10:37 PM   #87
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The thread title is literally killing me. It's pronunciation. Pronouncement is something else entirely.

Yes. Thank you.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 10:40 PM   #88
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I was rewatching Star Trek TNG and noticed that Worf pronounces the O in "sensors" where every other actor pronounces the word like "sensers". As it's a sci-fi word for things that don't yet exist I doubt either is the authoritatively correct way, but it is weird and now I can't un-notice it when it comes up. He says it so clearly it sounds like he's trying to correct the other characters!

Perhaps the particular type of sensors being referred to in the TV show don't exist yet, but the usage of "sensors" as devices has been around for quite some time. No reason Worf should be the only one who pronounces it properly. The others are just slurring it.

Old 6th November 2019, 10:50 PM   #89
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
I did a production of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof where every actor spoke with a southern accent, but no two spoke with the same southern accent.

In Atlanta, were you?

Kidding aside, southern accents by actors always tickle me. To start off with there are quite a few more variants than most people realize, which is lucky for the actors, since most of them don't know any southern accent properly, and get by on some sort of generic version that only barely sounds much like any of the real ones.

Tougher still for the actors with actual southern roots, who get cast in a part where they must needs play a character from some other part of the south than where they were raised. This usually isn't noticed by anyone who isn't from the south themselves and can only hear 'southern', but not any variations of inflection or dialect, but it can really stand out for someone who is.

Old 6th November 2019, 11:17 PM   #90
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

"Uh Stray Yn"
Ha, ha, haaa.....
Old 7th November 2019, 12:12 AM   #91
dann
Philosopher

What happened to Nucular?
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 12:22 AM   #92
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by dann View Post
What happened to Nucular?
Last posted in 2015 by the look of it.

- Randall Munroe
Old 7th November 2019, 05:47 AM   #93
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

It's sort of off topic, but this thread reminded me of a period in my life when I started becoming more social and trying to talk more with people I wasn't that familiar with. Having been very shy for most of my life, it was a little difficult for me, and I started to stutter. It's odd because I didn't mind and actually felt good about it because while I was stuttering, at least I was speaking. It wasn't a horrible stutter, but it was certainly noticeable.

That lasted for about 2 years, I think. It was more than ten years ago, so hard to remember exactly.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 06:28 AM   #94
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

"Uh Stray Yn"
As an immigrant I have always found it strange the those who leave the "Uh!" off are regarded as common by those who pronounce the "Uh!"

Also, listening to radio traffic reports I wondered could there really be a road in the Northern Beaches of Sydney called "Wanker's Parkway".
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 06:55 AM   #95
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

"Bee-uh."
Old 7th November 2019, 06:56 AM   #96
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
As an immigrant I have always found it strange the those who leave the "Uh!" off are regarded as common by those who pronounce the "Uh!"

Also, listening to radio traffic reports I wondered could there really be a road in the Northern Beaches of Sydney called "Wanker's Parkway".
When my son was in primary school he had to fill out a sheet about Australian tourist destinations. He asked for advice on what to put down for "Name a prominent Australian natural feature which is a popular tourist destination" and wrote down the response "Esroc".

Professor Afferbeck Lauder lives again.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 07:29 AM   #97
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The thread title is literally killing me. It's pronunciation. Pronouncement is something else entirely.
It is my favorite thing about this thread. I can't even read it. I love it.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 08:30 AM   #98
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
To be fair, it could also be a matter of mishearing. The distinction between the two can be difficult to articulate, and the threshold between not pronouncing it properly and not hearing it properly is pretty slim.
I've attached a screen capture from an episode of NCIS. :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NCIS-ordinance4-6-12-2011-9-20-34-PM.jpg (27.4 KB, 1 views)
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 08:32 AM   #99
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I've been mulling over the thread title. I did prefer "pronouncement" over "pronunciation", but I think a better word may be "enunciation"?
Old 7th November 2019, 08:52 AM   #100
Greebo
Thinker

No one's mentioned "molybdenum" yet - I just end up mumbling when trying to say it. It does come into everyday speech so often for me
Greebo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 09:05 AM   #101
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
No one's mentioned "molybdenum" yet - I just end up mumbling when trying to say it. It does come into everyday speech so often for me
"Moly". As in "MolyDiSulfide".

I applaud ThePrestige's use of "literally" in his post about the thread title.
Old 7th November 2019, 01:53 PM   #102
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I've attached a screen capture from an episode of NCIS. :-)

Pretty sure that isn't a pronunciation issue.

Old 7th November 2019, 05:35 PM   #103
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
"Bee-uh."
I say "beer" more like Beeeh. One syllable, not two.

- Randall Munroe
Old 7th November 2019, 09:53 PM   #104
Steve
Philosopher

We recently spent a very pleasant day in Bah Hah Bah, Maine.
Old 8th November 2019, 07:26 AM   #105
ahhell
Master Poster

I say "beer" more like Beeeh. One syllable, not two.
Wait, I thought you pronounced beer, "fosters"?
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 08:11 AM   #106
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Changing the name of one of the most popular lakes in the area from Lake Calhoun to its original Dakota name Bde Maka Ska met with some resistance.

Nobody still knows where the accented syllables are supposed to be.
Old 9th November 2019, 06:27 AM   #107
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

"Rural". The "rur" trips me up most of the time. It was a running joke in my college history classes that I'd substitute "non-urban" for "rural" whenever I needed to use the word, which comes up a lot in medieval history discussions.

I also have trouble with the penultimate syllable of "particularly", the R and L being so close together. I don't think I have a true speech impediment, I just tend to talk too fast and stumble when I hit certain combinations of sounds.
Rural is definitely the hardest for me. And I used to do lots of appraisals in rural San Diego county
Old 9th November 2019, 06:54 AM   #108
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Changing the name of one of the most popular lakes in the area from Lake Calhoun to its original Dakota name Bde Maka Ska met with some resistance.

I always wonder when people want to change place names to earlier versions why they don't translate them. "We're undoing colonial imperialism by restoring the name of Lake Whiteman to Yamotahominagashaw! Which means 'Deer Lake'." "So, why not name it 'Deer Lake'?" The people who named it were trying to convey it's a lake with deer, they weren't committing to a particular set of syllables regardless of whether anybody knew their meaning.
Old 9th November 2019, 10:25 AM   #109
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I always wonder when people want to change place names to earlier versions why they don't translate them. "We're undoing colonial imperialism by restoring the name of Lake Whiteman to Yamotahominagashaw! Which means 'Deer Lake'." "So, why not name it 'Deer Lake'?" The people who named it were trying to convey it's a lake with deer, they weren't committing to a particular set of syllables regardless of whether anybody knew their meaning.

"Monongahela" meant "river of muddy banks". I think that "Monongahela River" sounds nicer, even if the other is more descriptive.

Old 9th November 2019, 12:40 PM   #110
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Pretty sure that isn't a pronunciation issue.
Yes. It is also evidence, however, that NCIS's issue is using the wrong word rather than mispronouncing it.

Last edited by jadebox; 9th November 2019 at 12:41 PM.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 12:44 PM   #111
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Changing Mt. Rainier back to it's native name of Tacoma always gets a lot of resistance from Seattle for some reason.
Oh, and Seattle and Chief Sealth High School in that burg are both named after the same guy.
Old 9th November 2019, 12:47 PM   #112
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

The native name of Mt. Baker in my state is Koma Kulshan, which means something like Big Breast. Just like the Grand Tetons.
Old 9th November 2019, 02:23 PM   #113
Steve
Philosopher

The native name of Mt. Baker in my state is Koma Kulshan, which means something like Big Breast. Just like the Grand Tetons.
Big Breast would be a great name for Baker. I recommend the change.
Old 10th November 2019, 06:15 AM   #114
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Yes. It is also evidence, however, that NCIS's issue is using the wrong word rather than mispronouncing it.

Spell Check can be a bitch.

Old 10th November 2019, 07:29 AM   #115
elgarak
Illuminator

I was rewatching Star Trek TNG and noticed that Worf pronounces the O in "sensors" where every other actor pronounces the word like "sensers". As it's a sci-fi word for things that don't yet exist I doubt either is the authoritatively correct way, but it is weird and now I can't un-notice it when it comes up. He says it so clearly it sounds like he's trying to correct the other characters!
Real reason: Michael Dorn had to wear false teeth, and some pronunciations are just so to prevent his false teeth falling out.

True reason: He's a Klingon who spoke only Klingon as a small child, then he was raised by Russian Jews! Of course he has an odd pronunciation!
elgarak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 12:43 PM   #116
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

"Rural". The "rur" trips me up most of the time. It was a running joke in my college history classes that I'd substitute "non-urban" for "rural" whenever I needed to use the word, which comes up a lot in medieval history discussions.
Can you say "rural juror"?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 03:14 PM   #117
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Can you say "rural juror"?
Not the "rural" part. I don't have problems with "juror"...although I naturally pronounce it "jur'r". It doesn't feel like I'm stumbling over that one, just skipping the second vowel naturally.
Old 10th November 2019, 05:40 PM   #118
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Wait, I thought you pronounced beer, "fosters"?
Yeah, that's funny every single time I hear it.

You know there's a reason why we send all that **** overseas, right?

- Randall Munroe
Old 11th November 2019, 05:04 AM   #119
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Spell Check can be a bitch.

By coincidence, or perhaps synchronicity, over the past couple of days I have read Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey, the beginning of the Expanse series and an excellent effort of hard SF.

In it I noted two examples of the word "ordinance" when the usage clearly indicated that "ordnance" was the appropriate term.

You would think that with all of the review that a major novel from a top publishing house is subject to that such an error would have been detected and removed, especially with the noticeably martial bent of the story.

Yeah, spell check's a bitch.

Old 11th November 2019, 06:38 AM   #120
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

"Materiel" is another military word that falls to false correction these days.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Education