ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 8th November 2019, 07:29 AM   #561
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I'm surprised that I haven't seen any mention of the early reviews of "A Warning", the new book coming out by Anonymous.

The New York Times review is pretty scathing. The author doesn't give any new verifiable information. He does report that senior officials were considering a self-massacre (mass resignations) in the first two years but decided against it. He says he was wrong about the ability of reasonable men to create stability in the information. And he has some particularly scathing discussions of Trump's incompetence and personality deficiencies (see the article in The Post for some choice excerpts). The Times reviewer points out that the criticisms of Trump really don't add any new information to anyone who's been watching him. His supporters will dismiss anonymous accounts, his critics are already aware of his behavior and there's no one left to be educated by this account.

The author does not want Trump removed from office (or impeached, I'd reckon), since that will exacerbate the divisions in our nation. He wants Trump to lose in 2020 soundly. The Times points out as well that the author is apparently an establishment Republican and so it's reasonable to guess that he's concerned about the health of the party as well as the health of the nation.

The reviewer also criticizes the author for deciding the last straw was not Charlottesville nor separating migrant families but disrespecting John McCain after his death by not wanting flags at half-staff.

Obviously, I haven't read the book and I'm not sure I'll bother. I thought the review was pretty convincing. Reading the book would give one the satisfaction of seeing an opinion they largely agree with forcefully argued, but it doesn't seem like there's much more substantial payoff. There is also the concern that while the Times confirms he's a senior administration official, his reports cannot be verified and so should be taken with a large grain of salt.

The best quote I've seen, from the above mentioned Post article and about the early morning Trump tweets:
Quote:
“It’s like showing up at the nursing home at daybreak to find your elderly uncle running pantsless across the courtyard and cursing loudly about the cafeteria food, as worried attendants tried to catch him,” the author writes. “You’re stunned, amused, and embarrassed all at the same time. Only your uncle probably wouldn’t do it every single day, his words aren’t broadcast to the public, and he doesn’t have to lead the US government once he puts his pants on.”
The author does have a way with words.

Last edited by phiwum; 8th November 2019 at 07:36 AM.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 07:38 AM   #562
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I'm surprised that I haven't seen any mention of the early reviews of "A Warning", the new book coming out by Anonymous.
I linked to a Maddow report on it just this morning in this thread.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 08:00 AM   #563
Armitage72
Illuminator

The New York Times review is pretty scathing.

Talk about a conflict for Trump. On the one hand, they're critical of a book that says bad things about him. On the other hand, they're the fake news failing New York Times.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 08:22 AM   #564
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I linked to a Maddow report on it just this morning in this thread.
Ah, yes, I saw that. I didn't bother to click on it since I wasn't in the mood for a video, so it slipped my mind.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 08:23 AM   #565
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Talk about a conflict for Trump. On the one hand, they're critical of a book that says bad things about him. On the other hand, they're the fake news failing New York Times.
No conflict at all. He cites the Times when he likes what they say. They're trustworthy on those occasions.

Look for a tweet that begins "even the failing New York Times..."

Last edited by phiwum; 8th November 2019 at 08:24 AM.
Old 8th November 2019, 08:58 AM   #566
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

The New York Times review is pretty scathing. The author doesn't give any new verifiable information. He does report that senior officials were considering a self-massacre (mass resignations) in the first two years but decided against it. He says he was wrong about the ability of reasonable men to create stability in the information. And he has some particularly scathing discussions of Trump's incompetence and personality deficiencies (see the article in The Post for some choice excerpts). The Times reviewer points out that the criticisms of Trump really don't add any new information to anyone who's been watching him. His supporters will dismiss anonymous accounts, his critics are already aware of his behavior and there's no one left to be educated by this account.

The author does not want Trump removed from office (or impeached, I'd reckon), since that will exacerbate the divisions in our nation. He wants Trump to lose in 2020 soundly. The Times points out as well that the author is apparently an establishment Republican and so it's reasonable to guess that he's concerned about the health of the party as well as the health of the nation.

The reviewer also criticizes the author for deciding the last straw was not Charlottesville nor separating migrant families but disrespecting John McCain after his death by not wanting flags at half-staff.

Obviously, I haven't read the book and I'm not sure I'll bother. I thought the review was pretty convincing. Reading the book would give one the satisfaction of seeing an opinion they largely agree with forcefully argued, but it doesn't seem like there's much more substantial payoff. There is also the concern that while the Times confirms he's a senior administration official, his reports cannot be verified and so should be taken with a large grain of salt.

The best quote I've seen, from the above mentioned Post article and about the early morning Trump tweets:

What were they expecting, to find a nugget of chocolate among the rat turds? He's just upset Trump is making racism look bad.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 10:33 AM   #567
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

I will be announcing the winners of the #MAGACHALLENGE and inviting them to the
@WhiteHouse to meet with me and perform. Good luck!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 10:38 AM   #568
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BadBoy View Post
. . . . This is all just show boating by the Dems to expose as much s@#t on him running up to the next election. I thought there was no way he will actually be impeached - or found guilty, or whatever the terminology is.
No doubt the Dems will embrace whatever political advantage the impeachment and trial might bring them, but that doesn't mean that it is just showboating. If any President committed an impeachable offense, then any party that brought the impeachment might benefit politically in an upcoming election, and seek to maximize that benefit while still addressing the underlying impeachable behavior.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 10:46 AM   #569
Cain
Straussian

I'd guess (and hope) Anonymous did not write this her/himself. Stylometry software has a history of exposing supposedly anonymous people, and it's part of the reason why Snowden insisted journalists not quote him exstensively. Playing the old Deep Throat parlor game, I'd guess it's Kirstjen Nielsen, so basically a ****** person.
Old 8th November 2019, 10:52 AM   #570
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
No doubt the Dems will embrace whatever political advantage the impeachment and trial might bring them, but that doesn't mean that it is just showboating. If any President committed an impeachable offense, then any party that brought the impeachment might benefit politically in an upcoming election, and seek to maximize that benefit while still addressing the underlying impeachable behavior.
It would be very easy for the Republicans to neutralize most of any partisan advantage the Democrats may gain: Join the impeachment process. They can hem and haw about their reluctance and the gravity of their decision, end up on the right side of history, and maybe save their garbage party.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 11:00 AM   #571
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
It would be very easy for the Republicans to neutralize most of any partisan advantage the Democrats may gain: Join the impeachment process. They can hem and haw about their reluctance and the gravity of their decision, end up on the right side of history, and maybe save their garbage party.
Possibly they will, if they recognize Trump as a lost cause.

Hans
Old 8th November 2019, 11:10 AM   #572
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

As much as I don't like the present incarnation of the Republican party, it's important to have an honorable opposition.

Which is the problem with the GOP today. It has abandoned any honor it may have once had. Graham only a few weeks ago said if evidence became available that showed there was quid pro quo trading military aid and only a couple of days ago, Graham said he wasn't going to read the transcripts that prove that.

They close their eyes about climate change and pollution
They closed their eyes about tobacco.
They close their eyes about the opioid crisis.
They close their eyes about guns.
They close their eyes about health care,
They close their eyes about education.
They close their eyes about a crumbling infrastructure.

They close their eyes about Trump and his crimes.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 11:17 AM   #573
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
A RINO, then.
In my somewhat limited experience party affiliations on the local end arenít quite as predictive as they are on the state/national stage.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 11:22 AM   #574
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
As much as I don't like the present incarnation of the Republican party, it's important to have an honorable opposition.

Which is the problem with the GOP today. It has abandoned any honor it may have once had. Graham only a few weeks ago said if evidence became available that showed there was quid pro quo trading military aid and only a couple of days ago, Graham said he wasn't going to read the transcripts that prove that.

Exactly. The main thing to which the Republican Party is in opposition is reality.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 11:40 AM   #575
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I'd guess (and hope) Anonymous did not write this her/himself. Stylometry software has a history of exposing supposedly anonymous people, and it's part of the reason why Snowden insisted journalists not quote him exstensively. Playing the old Deep Throat parlor game, I'd guess it's Kirstjen Nielsen, so basically a ****** person.
Iíve got $2 on Kellyanne.
Old 8th November 2019, 11:52 AM   #576
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Exactly. The main thing to which the Republican Party is in opposition is reality.
This is what bothers me most about politics today. We use to debate about how best to address the issues. But the GOP has changed their strategy. Instead they debate the issues with spin and disinformation.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 12:00 PM   #577
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

But I thought the house (or the other house) wont actually find him guilty? This is all just show boating by the Dems to expose as much s@#t on him running up to the next election. I thought there was no way he will actually be impeached - or found guilty, or whatever the terminology is.
What is wrong with people that they think the Democrats exposing their POTUS is a crook is "showboating".

There was cheating in the 2016 election that Trump's campaign team was involved in (multiple guilty verdicts) and Trump obstructed justice in that investigation on at least 4 occasions, clearly spelled out by Mueller, and more occasions where there is some evidence of obstruction. Read the Mueller report.

But if that's too much trouble read this: A Side-by-Side Comparison of Barr’s vs. Mueller’s Statements about Special Counsel Report to see how Barr lied and quashed the report.

Now Trump is caught red-handed trying to cheat in the 2020 election. It's called abuse of power to use your control of military aid to extort a county to create dirt on your opponent. And despite the GOP talking point that it's just a phone call, and urging them to read the transcript, it is not a transcript, it is a memorandum, and more importantly the more honest people around Trump are testifying against him because it was an illegal quid pro quo and there is a lot more evidence than just the one phone call.

So ask yourself, just how much abuse of power do you want to normalize?
Old 8th November 2019, 12:05 PM   #578
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I thought about this and yes the IRS presumably would have nailed him before he was pres if there are irregularities.
It's a mythological view of the IRS to think they catch billionaire tax cheaters.

Quote:
No, I'm wondering if it will show (declared) income from places (like bad Russians) which may lend more weight to his Russian collaboration etc. It could show income from some very dubious sources. I assume the IRS doesn't care where the income is from, just that he paid all the Tax due.

I think though it's highly likely we will discover he was in fact so in-debt that he paid no tax at all. Wouldn't surprise me if he was far less rich than he makes out. Oddly I don't think it would hurt his base to publish if this were the reason as much as it is hurting him to keep his returns secret and all the rumors and theories it has generated.
So the rumors and theories have a high likelihood of being true then.
Old 8th November 2019, 12:05 PM   #579
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Iíve got $2 on Kellyanne.
It may not be Kellyanne. But I can't see how it couldn't be her.
I can just imagine what it's like in her home after she comes home after spending a day with the loon.
Old 8th November 2019, 12:07 PM   #580
Belz...
Fiend God

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...-having-public

Quote:
President Trump on Friday said there should be no public hearings in the impeachment inquiry as he railed against the process unfolding in the House.

"They shouldn’t be having public hearings. This is a hoax," Trump said as he left the White House for events in Georgia.
Can't have closed-door hearings, can't have public ones.

I love this part:

Quote:
"I’m not concerned about anything," Trump said. "The testimony has all been fine. I mean for the most part, I’ve never even heard of these people. "
Sure you haven't, Donnie.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Last edited by Belz...; 8th November 2019 at 12:09 PM.
Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 12:12 PM   #581
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Quote:
"Iím not concerned about anything," Trump said. "The testimony has all been fine. I mean for the most part, Iíve never even heard of these people. "
Sure you haven't, Donnie.
If it's true, is that really something for a president to brag about?

"What's a State Department, anyway?"
Old 8th November 2019, 12:12 PM   #582
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

And perform?

Whoops, caught red-handed not actually awarding campaign donors the dinner with Trump a winner was promised. Pretend there really was a dinner you intended to award all along.
Old 8th November 2019, 12:16 PM   #583
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
And perform?

Whoops, caught red-handed not actually awarding campaign donors the dinner with Trump a winner was promised. Pretend there really was a dinner you intended to award all along.
As you note they seem to be required to perform for their dinner. Just throwing money at him is insufficient.
Old 8th November 2019, 12:17 PM   #584
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

They also closed their eyes about GW using the Justice Department to affect election outcomes. (Plus more but that's in past threads.)

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 8th November 2019 at 12:49 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 12:57 PM   #585
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

This is what bothers me most about politics today. We use to debate about how best to address the issues. But the GOP has changed their strategy. Instead they debate the issues with spin and disinformation.
True, but I am afraid the Democrats will catch the same disease.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 12:58 PM   #586
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It may not be Kellyanne. But I can't see how it couldn't be her.
I can just imagine what it's like in her home after she comes home after spending a day with the loon.
Her husband?

Which would say a lot about what KaC really thinks in that she comes home and bitches about her day and her boss.
Old 8th November 2019, 01:13 PM   #587
Armitage72
Illuminator

And perform?

From what I can find online, #MAGACHALLENGE is a separate contest involving people posting videos of themselves online, rapping about how great Trump is.
"The MAGA Challenge is a Twitter challenge among Trump supporters, in which they upload Trump-friendly raps to the internet."

A Google search mainly finds people posting their entries rather than information about the challenge itself.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 01:32 PM   #588
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

I just threw up a little in my mouth.
Old 8th November 2019, 01:40 PM   #589
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
It's a reasonable concern. But I don't see much evidence of that. This is not to say they don't occasionally stoop to the same tactics. But I've never seen a trend.
Old 8th November 2019, 02:38 PM   #590
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
It's a reasonable concern. But I don't see much evidence of that. This is not to say they don't occasionally stoop to the same tactics. But I've never seen a trend.
It's ever worth remembering that their target audience is, in fact, different in important ways. Especially when you get to the liberal-conservative divide. "Liberals" tend to be much more sensitive to and wary of being lied to than "conservatives," on average. Democrats adopting GOP dishonesty as a party-wide strategy would mean the death knell of the Democratic Party - and the party leaders know this.

That's not to say that Democratic politicians don't lie at all, of course, and that none of them are corrupt. Both of those things are obviously false. Rather, it means that loyalty to the Party just isn't remotely as much of a thing when it comes to Democrats.

To poke at something else...

NRA drops lawsuit, accepts branding as a Ďdomestic terrorist organizationí by San Francisco

This got a chuckle from me.
Old 8th November 2019, 02:41 PM   #591
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

And perform?

Is having it at the White House appropriate? The juxtaposition of "MAGA" and "White House" in that tweet strikes me as jarring. Just doesn't seem right. It didn't hit me at first, and it would probably never occur to Trump's ethics-challenged crew.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 02:58 PM   #592
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Bolton may not testify in the House investigation.
It's just stunning how many of those with knowledge of what happened are just swarming to testify on behalf of the innocent President.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 03:23 PM   #593
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump says of the Whistleblower's lawyer
Quote:
and his lawyer who said the worst things possible two years ago, he should be sued, and maybe for treason.
Apparently one of the lawyers said in 2017 that he wanted to get rid of Trump.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 8th November 2019 at 03:41 PM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 03:35 PM   #594
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Trump says of the Whistleblower's lawyer and his lawyer who said the worst things possible two years ago, he should be sued, and maybe for treason.

Apparently one of the lawyers said in 2017 that he wanted to get rid of Trump.
Look, you have to admit it's mighty fishy that a whistleblower would choose a lawyer who has expressed negative opinions about Trump. That whole thing makes the impeachment a sham.

An honorable whistleblower would (1) use a lawyer who loves Trump, (2) love Trump and (3) not blow the whistle.
Old 8th November 2019, 03:41 PM   #595
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

fixed quote tag
Old 8th November 2019, 03:58 PM   #596
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Trump War Room (Text TRUMP to 88022)
@TrumpWarRoom
"We created 9,000 opportunity zones...8 million African-Americans live in opportunity zones, yet every Democrat voted against giving these black citizens the future they deserve. The Republicans got it passed." - @realDonaldTrump #BlackVoicesForTrump

"Democrats want to invest in green global projects. I want to invest in Black American communities." -
@realDonaldTrump #BlackVoicesForTrump
Old 8th November 2019, 04:16 PM   #597
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Trump War Room (Text TRUMP to 88022)
@TrumpWarRoom
"We created 9,000 opportunity zones...8 million African-Americans live in opportunity zones, yet every Democrat voted against giving these black citizens the future they deserve. The Republicans got it passed." - @realDonaldTrump #BlackVoicesForTrump

"Democrats want to invest in green global projects. I want to invest in Black American communities." -
@realDonaldTrump #BlackVoicesForTrump
Is this like how he was going to revolutionize healthcare? Or how he was going have Mexico pay to build a wall? Or how it would be impenetrable? Or how he was going to save manufacturing and coal jobs? Or how he was going to be the Infrastructure President? Or maybe how was going to be faithful to his first wife, his second wife or his present wife?

Or just maybe it's like how he would like to shag his own daughter?
Old 8th November 2019, 04:30 PM   #598
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Is this like how he was going to revolutionize healthcare? Or how he was going have Mexico pay to build a wall? Or how it would be impenetrable? Or how he was going to save manufacturing and coal jobs? Or how he was going to be the Infrastructure President? Or maybe how was going to be faithful to his first wife, his second wife or his present wife?

Donnie found some Uncle Toms.No surpise there.
Note the hatred for anything "Green". I honestly think it's because in Donnie's mind, Fossil Fuels are strong and manly, but Renweable Energies are wimpy and faggy.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 04:33 PM   #599
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

He wants to "invest" in creating rat-infested slums, morelike? He and his family have quite the history with that, after all.
Old 8th November 2019, 05:02 PM   #600
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Don't forget how he was going to release his taxes as soon as the audit was done. And how there was going to be a press conference in 'a couple weeks' about Melania's immigration history. That was over 3 years ago.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics