ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , Andrew Bolt , autism , environmental activists , Greta Thunberg

Old 8th November 2019, 04:00 PM   #2561
Stout
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Hey man ! I do appreciate a humerous post now and then. Thanks for this .
You're welcome.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 04:08 PM   #2562
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

You seem to be rather distracted today. You are having trouble writing posts connected to what I have said. Perhaps you are recovering from a really Good Friday night out?
Do you mind just giving an example of what Greta says, people at a massive climate change summit including some of the best climate change scientists may not have already heard.

Sent from my SM-J111M using Tapatalk
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With todayís Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 09:06 PM   #2563
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Do you mind just giving an example of what Greta says, people at a massive climate change summit including some of the best climate change scientists may not have already heard.

Assuming you are referring to the upcoming December summit in Madrid, there would be no purpose in speculating what she might say. If you are interested listen to her speech when she gives it. You may learn something.
Old 8th November 2019, 09:20 PM   #2564
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Assuming you are referring to the upcoming December summit in Madrid, there would be no purpose in speculating what she might say. If you are interested listen to her speech when she gives it. You may learn something.
Figured as much
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With todayís Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 09:31 PM   #2565
Steve
Philosopher

Figured as much
Then asking was a waste of bandwidth.

Perhaps in the interim you could tell us what she will say.
Old 8th November 2019, 10:06 PM   #2566
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Then asking was a waste of bandwidth.

Perhaps in the interim you could tell us what she will say.
Guessing "You need to listen to yourselves"

"The time is running out and we will never give up"

"Even though you have been talking about this from before I was born, you have stolen my dreams. How dare you!!!"

Or something like that

Old 8th November 2019, 10:12 PM   #2567
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Actually she may come up with an idea rather than just spout slogans

"Every child on strike will sign a pledge to never fly or own a combustion car!!!"

Might work

Old 8th November 2019, 10:24 PM   #2568
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
Reduce your carbon footprint in NOT part of Thunberg's message. Thunberg is all about imploring world leaders to listen to the climate scientists and blaming them, along with adults for the current mess we find ourselves in.
Why are you so easy on governments? Germany closed coal and gas fired power plants. Why can’t the US? This would make a massive difference to carbon emissions.

Your broken record request is for each individual to reduce their personal footprint. Yeah, good. I agree. But governments can do much more. And deserved to be blamed for not doing so.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 10:37 PM   #2569
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Why are you so easy on governments? Germany closed coal and gas fired power plants. Why canít the US? This would make a massive difference to carbon emissions.

Your broken record request is for each individual to reduce their personal footprint. Yeah, good. I agree. But governments can do much more. And deserved to be blamed for not doing so.
Please tell me you didn't just compare the US to Germany

The US is about 10 x larger with things like deserts that have no viable renewable energy sources.

Old 8th November 2019, 10:50 PM   #2570
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

The US is about 10 x larger with things like deserts that have no viable renewable energy sources.
Iím really trying to ignore you, but some posts are so ridiculous I canít let them pass.

Yes I compared the US to Germany. They are both very large, sophisticated economies. Germany is without deserts. The US does. Which country do you think has greater capacity for solar power generation?

Greta knows the answer to this, but you clearly donít.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 11:03 PM   #2571
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Iím really trying to ignore you, but some posts are so ridiculous I canít let them pass.

Yes I compared the US to Germany. They are both very large, sophisticated economies. Germany is without deserts. The US does. Which country do you think has greater capacity for solar power generation?

Greta knows the answer to this, but you clearly donít.
The US is nearly 4,000,000 miles in area with 327 million people, made up of several different climates and sun hours and a with heaps having an arid climate

Germany is 357,000 miles and 83 million people and has a fairly mellow climate

Old 8th November 2019, 11:12 PM   #2572
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

The US is nearly 4,000,000 miles in area with 327 million people, made up of several different climates and sun hours and a with heaps having an arid climate

Germany is 357,000 miles and 83 million people and has a fairly mellow climate
And? Which country has the greater capacity for solar power but continues to use coal?

Just back out of this thread slowly and quietly.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 8th November 2019, 11:19 PM   #2573
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

And? Which country has the greater capacity for solar power but continues to use coal?

Given the logistics, probably Germany

Old 9th November 2019, 01:01 AM   #2574
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Of course they'll forget it and make the same choices "we" did. We had all the science yet look what's happened because we all said to ourselves. Climate Change ? That's something for my government to worry about and I want my flights to Hawaii.

We had a local news article last week about a high school group who couldn't go on their cruise to Antarctica because the cruise line they were going to use went bust. The cruise line going bust was the only reason the story hit the news in the first place because parents were concerned about loosing the thousands of dollars they'd paid for their kids to go on that cruise.

I wonder how many of those kids went to see Thunberg's speech in Vancouver ?

Story

This post and the defences of it seem to be a demonstration of the fact that you're proud of the fact that ocean liners are huge climate polluters and Antarctica is at risk from tourism.

That's good you know that.

Sure, the kids (activists or not) would probably roll their eyes and say, "OK, boomer" to you.

But I understand the position you're in, and the societal myths about tensions between generations and the real things that are said to hurt us.

Oh yes, carbon offsets. Even Greta Thunberg knows those ae feeble and ineffective otherwise she'd be flying and using those rather than refusing to fly.

Emulate your heroes people, don't simply buy your way to salvation.
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Maybe Greta should start a GoFundMe to raise money to pay for her carbon offsets, so that she can fly around the world carrying her important message. Surely 16 years old isn't too young to start reasoning through these kinds of problems.

Inequality is when you are left to clean up the mess at the party for US$15 an hour.

I suddenly think of the local group of indigenous Australian corporations who are allowing a new highly-protested coal mine to have a lease on their otherwise unproductive native lands.

The leasing system was created to give indigenous Australians some compensation for being displaced by the British colonialists.

Are GenZ and the dispossessed supposed to live in cardboard boxes and be malnutritioned so as not to take anything from those who live in prosperity?

Are we all "guilty of the sins of our fathers"?

If people expect Thunberg to walk on water, are they also going to do the same?

She should be in school in some capacity though
What school could teach her the enormous things she is learning and in turn, is teaching us?

I say that as a lifelong artist and student of art.

Call it a performance if you like, a publicity stunt, or a religious pilgrimage.

I call it art.

There hasn't been anything like this before.

Robert Hughes wrote an influential book about the history of art - The Shock of the New. This is shocking, and new.

I don't mean Thunberg on her own.

I mean all the Fridays For Future protesters who don't get the media attention she gets but who Thunberg is connected to, and who we can see are connected to our countries, our friends, and to us.

I was talking to a friend today who's just earned her BA in Teaching. We spoke about our favourite teachers, and how at 16 we were horrible, but we had teachers who actually encouraged us to see the faults in things and to think for ourselves. Those teachers were not afraid of admitting fault, because that's not the end of the world. That's how we learn new ways.

Do you have a better annual curriculum for her than this, when you and the rest of the world are trying to be her teacher and/or student?

Because it's literally the end of the world if we don't all learn new ways from what's happening.
Old 9th November 2019, 01:09 AM   #2575
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Fair dinkum. Do you understand nothing about solar power generation?

I give up. As one great philosopher (an ex AFL footballer) once said, donít argue with idiots as they will drag you down to their own level and beat you on experience.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 9th November 2019, 01:16 AM   #2576
sphenisc
Illuminator

I give up. As one great philosopher (an ex AFL footballer) once said, donít argue with idiots as they will drag you down to their own level and beat you on experience.
Allow me...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power_by_country
Old 9th November 2019, 01:21 AM   #2577
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
Proving my point, thanks. Germany 7.3%, US 2.3%.

But my point was about capacity, not generation. The US has enough deserts to power the country.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 9th November 2019, 01:33 AM   #2578
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Um yes

I'm guessing you don't

Old 9th November 2019, 01:35 AM   #2579
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Proving my point, thanks. Germany 7.3%, US 2.3%.

But my point was about capacity, not generation. The US has enough deserts to power the country.
Have a think about geography

Old 9th November 2019, 01:37 AM   #2580
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post

What school could teach her the enormous things she is learning and in turn, is teaching us?

I say that as a lifelong artist and student of art.

Call it a performance if you like, a publicity stunt, or a religious pilgrimage.

I call it art.

There hasn't been anything like this before.

Robert Hughes wrote an influential book about the history of art - The Shock of the New. This is shocking, and new.

I don't mean Thunberg on her own.

I mean all the Fridays For Future protesters who don't get the media attention she gets but who Thunberg is connected to, and who we can see are connected to our countries, our friends, and to us.

I was talking to a friend today who's just earned her BA in Teaching. We spoke about our favourite teachers, and how at 16 we were horrible, but we had teachers who actually encouraged us to see the faults in things and to think for ourselves. Those teachers were not afraid of admitting fault, because that's not the end of the world. That's how we learn new ways.

Do you have a better annual curriculum for her than this, when you and the rest of the world are trying to be her teacher and/or student?

Because it's literally the end of the world if we don't all learn new ways from what's happening.
Actually not a bad point, but she will probably end up anti social and screwed up.

Old 9th November 2019, 02:17 AM   #2581
jeremyp
Muse

Deserts donít need electricity, people do. The majority of the people live in urbanized areas just like in Germany, not in the desert.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 03:06 AM   #2582
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
Deserts donít need electricity, people do. The majority of the people live in urbanized areas just like in Germany, not in the desert.
Then feel free to advise their plan

Old 9th November 2019, 03:17 AM   #2583
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Then feel free to advise their plan
Simple questions.

Can the US generate more solar energy?

If yes (and yes is the only answer) why donít they?

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 9th November 2019, 05:05 AM   #2584
Matthew Best
Philosopher

San Francisco, a city that prides itself on its eco-consciousness, will soon have a giant likeness of Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg gazing upon its downtown, reminding residents to respect the planet.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-san-francisco

At the age of 16, Thunberg has already reached the exalted status of Nobel peace prize nominee, leader of a movement to reclaim the planet for future generations, focus of Donald Trump’s mockery, and hero among progressives and young people.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 06:38 AM   #2585
Stout
Illuminator

Why are you so easy on governments? Germany closed coal and gas fired power plants. Why canít the US? This would make a massive difference to carbon emissions.

I've been on renewable energy (hydroelectric) my whole life so the whole wind/solar issue is rather moot. I could jump on board with it but I'd be basically telling other people, other governments what to do and I'd be firmly in the "what about China, India ? etc." camp which is kind of boring, TBH.

We had our climate strike, our Greta might be coming moment, our bridge blocking by Extinction Rebellion yet getting any sort of meaningful answer to the question "What do you want your government to do ?" is rather challenging.

I get weird things like make shore power hook ups for cruise ships mandatory. Sounds like a good idea on the surface however a cruise shp is in port for, on average, about 5 hours and given that it takes 45 minutes to power down one of these things and another 45 minutes to power one up that means it will only be on renewables for about 3 hours.

If we express those three hours as a percentage of the total time a cruise ship is in operation over a one week cruise period wh have one of those nice sounding but ( in the grand scheme of things ) band-aid on a brain tumor solutions I mentioned earlier.

I pay a carbon tax every time I fill up my tank...I suppose they could raise that but it won't affect anyone's gas consumption do ay significant degree.

I have a no idling bylaw, I can't let my car sit, running and immobile for more than three minutes. Fair enough, I don't do that anyway, no need to.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 07:21 AM   #2586
ThatGuy11200
Thinker

Don't agree with this.

I find the way she comes across is irritating in some of her speeches, but that is due to bad acting and the people that write the script.

She should be in school in some capacity though

not sure why you think people want her to live in a cave.

Just not causing 6 trans-Atlantic flights to not cause 4 would be handy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Sweden

Quote:
Education in Sweden is mandatory for children between ages 6 and 15.
She's 16. It's her choice.

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
'Greta Thunberg effect' ?

I thought her big audience was high school and younger, age kids..

Is the argument, that they are talking their parents into investing in carbon-reducing projects?
As I believe I pointed out earlier in the thread, research has shown that parents' views can be changed by their children.

https://www.newscientist.com/article...limate-change/

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Maybe Greta should start a GoFundMe to raise money to pay for her carbon offsets, so that she can fly around the world carrying her important message. Surely 16 years old isn't too young to start reasoning through these kinds of problems.
That may have been the case for you. Maybe her reasoning skills are more developed than yours were/are.

So you believe that only people at the conference will be able to see what she says? Will the media not report on it? Will there be no videos of it?

It's also not just about spreading her message. She will have the opportunity to meet "the best climate change scientists". Networking can be a very important feature of conferences.
ThatGuy11200 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 09:19 AM   #2587
crescent
Illuminator

I'm just going to continue with the piling on here. I mean, I live in the western U.S., having spent a decade in the deserts of the American Southwest, and now more recently in Colorado. I spend a fair bit of time in Lower Saxony (Germany) as well.

The U.S. has vastly more potential for renewable energy than Germany. Vastly more, a whole lot more, much more. More sun, more wind - a whole lot more of both. The U.S. has not even begun to tap that significantly. In the Southwest, rooftop solar alone could probably generate most of the power needed during the day. Further north, Wyoming is known for its never-ending winds (the Interstate Highways have gates that close when the wind starts to knock the 18-wheeler trucks/articulated lorries over). Yet there are currently few wind towers there. Colorado has relatively less sun than the Mojave Desert where I spent ten years, but even here we get about 300 sunny days a year. Yet one sees few solar cells or wind towers around here or in the places I lived in the deserts of Utah, Southeastern California, or Nevada.

Then I go to Lower Saxony, where is it cloudy and not very windy, and there are solar cells on all the old farm buildings, and wind towers on many ridgelines and in many fields. It is hard to find a spot where no wind towers are visible.

No, not even close.

Have a think about geography
You will need to spell that out more clearly, my perception is that the geography in America is better suited to wind and solar power generation than Germany. This is based on my travels in both nations.

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
Deserts don’t need electricity, people do. The majority of the people live in urbanized areas just like in Germany, not in the desert.
I think we might be getting somewhere. The catch being, a good many of those urbanized areas are in the desert. People live in urbanized areas in the desert. Los Angeles, San Diego, Palm Springs, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Tuscon, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Lubbock, Amarillo, San Bernardino. That tens and tens of millions of people, all living in desert areas with better than 330 days of sunshine per year. Nice spread out American cities with big rooftops and parking lots just waiting to have solar panels installed over them.

And that completely leaves out the wind power potential of the states in the northern part of the west. Southern Wyoming is installing some wind, but that's slated to run power to Las Vegas through DC powerlines that are currently under construction (but behind schedule). They could easily put in more to run power to Denver and the Colorado front range with its four or five million people, it is not that far, or turn them east towards Omaha. Even St. Louis is little further from that part of Wyoming than Las Vegas is, if they can run power to southwest to Vegas, they can run it east to St. Louis and Kansas City.

Then if you go further East in the U.S. you get to climates that more closely resemble a certain European country named "Germany". I would thing if that nation, with its climate and geography can do it, then so can those parts of America that have similar climates and geographic features.

America has not picked the low hanging fruit in renewable energy. Half of our political apparatus seems focused on denying the existence of that low hanging fruit or of the need to use it. If Greta can focus more public perception on the problem and thereby get people to apply political pressure, then I am supportive of that. She's not a scientist, she's a communicator and an advocate which is a role she seems suited for and is doing effectively. She draws attention, gets the younguns' motivated to be prepared to vote until they come of age and to pressure the views and opinions of their parents until then. That's good. She is doing good.

Last edited by crescent; 9th November 2019 at 09:57 AM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 10:09 AM   #2588
Stout
Illuminator

If "the" thrust of a political solution is primarily electricity generation through wind/solar/etc then why did Thunberg spend so much time and energy traveling around Canada which has 67% of it's electricity generated by renewables ?

Seems to me she'd be more effective addressing those countries that are behind the curve rather than preaching to the converted.
Old 9th November 2019, 11:37 AM   #2589
crescent
Illuminator

If "the" thrust of a political solution is primarily electricity generation through wind/solar/etc then why did Thunberg spend so much time and energy traveling around Canada which has 67% of it's electricity generated by renewables ?

Seems to me she'd be more effective addressing those countries that are behind the curve rather than preaching to the converted.
She spent most of her time here in America. Which is very far behind the curve.

She is not perfect. But perfection is not the enemy.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 01:19 PM   #2590
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
She spent most of her time here in America. Which is very far behind the curve.

She is not perfect. But perfection is not the enemy.
Think a few people on here would probably have issues with this statement.

Old 9th November 2019, 01:23 PM   #2591
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Think a few people on here would probably have issues with this statement.
Care to comment on #2587?

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 9th November 2019, 01:25 PM   #2592
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Forgive me if already mentioned but they have painted a 60-ft.-tall and 30-ft.-wide mural of her watching people in judgment.

Actually quite cool, if a bit tacky. Well a lot tacky, but still cool.

https://time.com/5723241/greta-thunb...san-francisco/

She could have used the same size telly video conferencing to the climate change summit.

Last edited by cullennz; 9th November 2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 9th November 2019, 01:27 PM   #2593
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Forgive me if already mentioned
Already mentioned.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 01:32 PM   #2594
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Care to comment on #2587?
You mean apart from me apparently being utterly wrong in figuring the logistics of such a massive country would make renewables more difficult?

Not really, apart from saying I am apparently wrong.

Apologies

Old 9th November 2019, 01:32 PM   #2595
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Greta is watching you. T'was only a question of time.
Old 9th November 2019, 01:33 PM   #2596
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Scientists have been saying the same things to themselves and the general public for decades now, in the hope it may penetrate the skulls of the general public and motivate them to take action. Greta seems to be able to reach out to people more effectively.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 01:34 PM   #2597
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Greta is watching you. T'was only a question of time.
This whole "Russia is anti-science" thing got old way back with Lysenko.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 01:36 PM   #2598
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Scientists have been saying the same things to themselves and the general public for decades now, in the hope it may penetrate the skulls of the general public and motivate them to take action. Greta seems to be able to reach out to people more effectively.
That is awesome, but bares zero relation to answering my question

Old 9th November 2019, 06:07 PM   #2599
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Greta writes:

On Monday my book “No One Is Too Small To Make A Difference” will be released in the United States. This is an updated edition with more speeches, which will be released in other countries and languages soon as well. And all my earnings will go to charity.
Old 9th November 2019, 06:17 PM   #2600
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

What does that have to do with any ******* thing? People go to rallies, summits, conferences, meetings, etc., and no one expects invited speakers to say anything attendees haven't already heard . . . except you when it comes to Greta Thunberg.

People go to these events specifically to hear people give their take on the topic. Greta did that. There were actually 5 summits that week. Climate, universal healthcare, sustainable development,financing and development, and small island development. Do you think the people attending those summits had never heard what the speakers talked about?

t makes me wonder why you hold a 16 year old girl to higher standards than you hold anyone else? . . . No, actually, I know why. Your hatred is shining through.
Is all your life will ever be."

Last edited by qayak; 9th November 2019 at 06:19 PM.
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events