ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th November 2019, 06:17 PM   #761
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
It looks that way in some fonts but not others.
Snipped your post for brevity, but thanks. I had assumed we were all looking at things with the same fonts! Stupid of me.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 06:19 PM   #762
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

The Earth rotates 360o in less than 24 hours. (23 hours 56 minutes)
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 06:22 PM   #763
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Well that's pretty damn cold as under normal atmospheric pressure, nitrogen exists as a liquid between the temperatures of -210°C and -196°C.

True, but the low temperature isn't the reason the vessel bursts. It just speeds up the freezing. The same thing would happen if you just put the vessel in a regular freezer, except it would take hours instead of seconds, and when it does explode it explodes inside a freezer. So that doesn't make a very exciting public demonstration.
Old 6th November 2019, 06:26 PM   #764
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
True, but the low temperature isn't the reason the vessel bursts. It just speeds up the freezing. The same thing would happen if you just put the vessel in a regular freezer, except it would take hours instead of seconds, and when it does explode it explodes inside a freezer. So that doesn't make a very exciting public demonstration.
I may be wrong, but I don't think it would explode, even after any amount of time, in a freezer at, say -5oC.
Isaac Asimov
Old 6th November 2019, 07:16 PM   #765
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by erlando View Post
Imagine a rope tied around the equator. All that is needed for elevating that rope 1 meter all around is 2π meters of extra rope (assuming a spherical, smooth Earth).
(2pi meters)

You mean, just over 6+ feet? I'm not quite sure how that calculation works but I suppose I could Google it.

Would it work the same with generic "units"?

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
It looks that way in some fonts but not others.
(fonts snipped)
Isn't it ironic that one of the best representations comes from Comic Sans?
Old 6th November 2019, 07:44 PM   #766
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
(2pi meters)

You mean, just over 6+ feet? I'm not quite sure how that calculation works but I suppose I could Google it.

<snip>

Yes, it does.

The formula for the length of a circumference ... C=2 πr ... is independent of the units used. The result for C will be in whatever units are used for r.

The change (Δ) in length ... ΔC= 2 π(Δr) ... is also independent of the units used, and the change in length will be expressed in whatever units are used for the change in radius ... Δr.

I.e. if the change in radius (in this case, distance above the Earth's surface) is one inch then the additional length of rope will be 2 π inches. If it is changed by one mile then you'll need an extra 2 π miles of rope.

If you change it by three meters then you'll need an extra 2 π3 (2 times π times 3) meters of rope. Etc., etc..

For a more in-depth explanation of why all you need to know is the amount of change to the radius, here's one link that may help.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."

Last edited by quadraginta; 6th November 2019 at 08:38 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 08:15 PM   #767
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Exactly what I wanted to know, and clearly explained. Thank you!

Last edited by alfaniner; 6th November 2019 at 09:43 PM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 08:34 PM   #768
JeanTate
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
There are no green or violet stars. Richard Feynman's comment when asked to check out a math/science textbook that he considered "lousy." The problem asked students to add up the temperatures of red stars, yellow stars, green stars,... Feynman pointed out that in addition to the authors not knowing what they were talking about, because there are no green or violet stars, that there's never any point in adding up temperatures (unless maybe to compute an average temperature). It was just a game to get the students to add, wrapped up in wrong and misleading "science language."
It turns there are actually violet stars. Sorta.

A binary (two stars in orbit around each other), one of which is a white dwarf, the other a red dwarf. From here on Earth they are unresolved, they seem like a single star. Get a spectrum and the binary nature becomes obvious. If the white dwarf were close to a blackbody (they’re called white for a reason!) little purple/violet ... but the white dwarf pulls matter from the red dwarf ...

There’re called symbiotic stars, and have other names too.

Now about green stars ...
JeanTate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 08:45 PM   #769
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Of course. The formula for circumference ... C=2 πr ... is independent of the units used.

The change (Δ) in length ... ΔC= 2 πΔr will be expressed in whatever units are used for Δr.

I.e. if the change in radius (in this case, distance above the Earth's surface) is two inches then the additional length of rope will be 2 times 2 π inches. If it is changed by two miles then you'll need an extra 2 times 2 π miles of rope.

For a more in-depth explanation of why all you need to know is the amount of change to the radius, here's one link that may help.
Exactly what I wanted to know, and clearly explained. Thank you!

I actually had a brain fart or three and didn't type exactly what I was thinking the first time through. I changed my post, but the edits above will correct what you quoted.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 09:42 PM   #770
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I actually had a brain fart or three and didn't type exactly what I was thinking the first time through. I changed my post, but the edits above will correct what you quoted.
Ah I caught that and wondered about it but decided not to go all pedantic. Thanks for the correction and clarification. I was within the edit window so I took out the original quote.

Last edited by alfaniner; 6th November 2019 at 09:44 PM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 09:53 PM   #771
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Ah I caught that and wondered about it but decided not to go all pedantic. Thanks for the correction and clarification. I was within the edit window so I took out the original quote.

I wrote it (my post) the first time, and then I had this niggling feeling that I had screwed up something extremely simple and basic.

Believe it or not, I had to go over that post several times before my "duh" moment kicked in.

I blame the 60s. And most of the 70s. Maybe some of the 80s.

Also encroaching decrepitude.

Etc., etc..

Old 7th November 2019, 12:31 AM   #772
erlando
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
Your pi looks like an n.
That's not my pi. That's our pi..
Old 7th November 2019, 12:40 AM   #773
erlando
Graduate Poster

(2pi meters)

Not quite. You would need just under 21 feet. (2 x pi x 3.28)

Quote:
Yes (as explained in other posts). It also works for generic radii, so the same would be true for a rope tied around the Sun. 1 unit elevation needs 2pi units of extra rope.
Old 7th November 2019, 06:27 PM   #774
Hercules Rockefeller
Woof!

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Could someone really dummie-down an answer for me? Can you tell me an interesting fact about black holes? Thanks.
The observable universe has nearly the same mass as a black hole the same size.
Old 7th November 2019, 06:34 PM   #775
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

The direction of "clockwise" stems from the movement of the shadow across a sundial face.
(in the Northern hemisphere.)
Old 8th November 2019, 08:19 AM   #776
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
This morning, the Voyager 2 spacecraft, which left Earth August 20, 1977, is 18.33 billion miles from us.

The round trip time for light to travel to Voyager 2 and return is 1.42 days, according to NASA's Deep Space Network.
Old 8th November 2019, 08:57 AM   #777
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by xterra View Post
This morning, the Voyager 2 spacecraft, which left Earth August 20, 1977, is 18.33 billion miles from us.

The round trip time for light to travel to Voyager 2 and return is 1.42 days, according to NASA's Deep Space Network.

Has it left the solar system again yet?

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 09:25 AM   #778
xterra
So far, so good...

That is a yes ... and a no.

Wikipedia has a good article on it.
Old 8th November 2019, 10:30 AM   #779
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
The direction of "clockwise" stems from the movement of the shadow across a sundial face.
(in the Northern hemisphere.)

Also, the apparent movement of the sun itself, around the southern sky (in the Northern hemisphere, north of the Topics).
Old 8th November 2019, 11:09 AM   #780
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Huh! You do know that 10 metres depth of water represents approximately another atmosphere of pressure don't you?
Yes, but as the mass of the ice on top of a lake or pond is exactly the same as it would be in liquid form, there is no increase in pressure due to it being frozen.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 11:15 AM   #781
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Do pure mathematics count as scientific facts? Because my current favorite is:

Decompositions of closed surfaces into pairs of pants are used to construct the Fenchel-Nielsen coordinates on Teichmüller space.

(Paraphrased from here.)
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 11:26 AM   #782
CORed
Philosopher

I may be wrong, but I don't think it would explode, even after any amount of time, in a freezer at, say -5oC.
I think your are right. This is just my educated intuition, but I'm pretty sure that the iron sphere full of water explodes in liquid nitrogen due to the rapidity of the freezing and expansion at liquid nitrogen temperatures. If you freeze it in a freezer or by leaving it outside on a cold winter day, I would expect it to crack or split, but not to explode. It's very common for water pipes, car radiators, engine blocks, etc. to crack or split from being frozen, but they do not explode.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 01:11 PM   #783
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

Decompositions of closed surfaces into pairs of pants are used to construct the Fenchel-Nielsen coordinates on Teichmüller space.

(Paraphrased from here.)
On a more serious note (ha, ha, snicker, snicker), I was immensely impressed, stimulated, fascinated, dazzled, excited, delighted and astounded when I first worked through the
Derivation of Electromagnetic Waves from Maxwell's Equations

Looking at the proof now, I realize how much of my knowledge of Mathematics has been erased from my brain. Though I did manage to impress my 8th-grade grandson recently by solving the "extra credit" question in his math test in my head. It was reported to my daughter as, "Granddad is so smart". At my age you live for simple things.
Old 8th November 2019, 01:24 PM   #784
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

(Paraphrased from here.)
On first reading this, I thought you accidentally misspelled "points", but nope, it's supposed to be pants.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 02:22 PM   #785
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
On first reading this, I thought you accidentally misspelled "points", but nope, it's supposed to be pants.
Yep.

A character in a book I was reading was wearing Bermuda shorts, and I suddenly realized I had no idea what made shorts "Bermuda". I went to Wikipedia, where I learned right away that shorts are a subset of trousers. So I thought I'd take a quick detour to familiarize myself with the conventional wisdom on trousers as a super-class of shorts.

The first thing I learned when I got to "trousers" were that they were redirected from "pants", and not to be confused with "pair of pants (mathematics)".

The next morning, I'm looking at my phone and trying to figure out how I got into the mathematical principles of tiling Saccheri quadrilaterals on hyperbolic planes.

"It's the disambiguation entries," explained Ms ThePrestige. "That's how it gets you."
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 02:31 PM   #786
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Yep.

A character in a book I was reading was wearing Bermuda shorts, and I suddenly realized I had no idea what made shorts "Bermuda". I went to Wikipedia, where I learned right away that shorts are a subset of trousers. So I thought I'd take a quick detour to familiarize myself with the conventional wisdom on trousers as a super-class of shorts.

The first thing I learned when I got to "trousers" were that they were redirected from "pants", and not to be confused with "pair of pants (mathematics)".

The next morning, I'm looking at my phone and trying to figure out how I got into the mathematical principles of tiling Saccheri quadrilaterals on hyperbolic planes.

"It's the disambiguation entries," explained Ms ThePrestige. "That's how it gets you."
So that's a branch of proper mathematics then? Not like those heathen maths running around pantless?

Old 8th November 2019, 03:15 PM   #787
xterra
So far, so good...

What she said.
Old 8th November 2019, 04:26 PM   #788
bobdroege7
Master Poster

math is already plural

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 05:59 AM   #789
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by bobdroege7 View Post
math is already plural
So is"maths.". :-) [Sort of.]

It is an abbreviation of "mathematics" which appears plural, but is usually used as a singular noun.

Both words can be used as a plural.

Anyway "heathen math running around" doesn't make sense. They are usually seen in groups.

Last edited by jadebox; 9th November 2019 at 06:14 AM.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 06:35 AM   #790
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by bobdroege7 View Post
math is already plural
I studied physics at school, but then there were quite a lot of them. Only one biology and chemistry though
Old 9th November 2019, 10:15 AM   #791
wasapi
Philosopher

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-24477667

One of my favorites. 'Diamond rain', Saturn and Jupiter. I really want to learn more about the "rain".
Old 10th November 2019, 07:20 PM   #792
bobdroege7
Master Poster

Originally Posted by jadebox View Post

Anyway "heathen math running around" doesn't make sense. They are usually seen in groups.
Does "heathen maths running around" make any sense?

I object to the use of maths as short for Mathematics, I would also object to maths as short for mathematicians.

That's the only way I can make sense of "heathen maths running around"

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 07:42 AM   #793
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
ISF: Where humor goes to die.
Old 11th November 2019, 02:17 PM   #794
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
ISF: Where humor goes to die.
It may very well come here to die but it is often seen in what must be its death throws -- whirling around, making strange gurgling noises, bumping into various stationary and moving objects and otherwise making a general nuisance of itself.

No . . . wait . . . sorry . . . that's me.

Never mind.
Old 11th November 2019, 02:19 PM   #795
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Throes*
Old 11th November 2019, 05:54 PM   #796
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Analysing a joke is like dissecting a frog. You learn how it works but you kill the frog.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 10:43 PM   #797
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

Where do frogs go to die?

EGY: where elephants go to die.
Old 11th November 2019, 11:01 PM   #798
curious cat
Thinker

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
It takes a lot more pressure than that (by about three orders of magnitude) to significantly affect the freezing of water.

I once saw a live demonstration in which a thick hollow iron shell was filled with water and sealed with an iron cap, and put into a metal bucket of liquid nitrogen to freeze it. When the expansion of the ice ruptured the shell, the resulting explosion erupted the contents ten feet high out of the bucket.

This video shows a similar demonstration, but weaker than what I saw because thinner metal pipe is used. You can skip ahead to about 3:00.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Not sure how you want relate this phenomenon to ice floating on an open water...
curious cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2019, 01:15 PM   #799
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Throes*
Normally yes. But in this case I deliberately used the homonym for its intrinsic comic effect.

Old 12th November 2019, 01:25 PM   #800
Thor 2
Philosopher

The Earth rotates 360o in less than 24 hours. (23 hours 56 minutes)

The extra 4 minutes needed to catch up because of the movement of the Earth around the Sun.

There are couple of things this tells us:

- The Earths spin is in the same direction as the orbit around the Sun.
- The length of a year can be calculated from this observation.*

* As the Earth's orbit is elliptical an average must be calculated to arrive at an accurate figure.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology