ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , Andrew Bolt , autism , environmental activists , Greta Thunberg

Old 3rd August 2019, 10:33 AM   #121
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
It is horrendous her parents have piled all these labels on her 'autistic' etc.etc., as though having a moral conscience means you are 'high functioning aspergers' or whatever.

Whatever she is, she is perfectly normal and not special as claimed by her parents just because they have had her labelled her as some kind of freak.

Pushy parents: ugh, gimme a break.
That's quite the imagination you have there.
Old 3rd August 2019, 10:35 AM   #122
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

I tried to point you to her mother's book - turns out it exists in print only in the original Swedish and in German. amazon.com has a Kindle version in Dutch and a site for an English version which will come out in October. If you google "greta mother book" you'll find some reviews. The very extensive German review I read came to similar conclusions as the Danish review summarized here.

Quote:
[...] Jalving told BT that, instead of addressing why both her daughters are so ill, Ernman focused on making Greta Thunberg a star. Consider that “Greta’s diagnoses are about never having roots in her childhood. They have been moving around like a family of jugglers. It’s a very celebrated life on the surface, but the daughters have been dragged along,” he tells BT. Of Greta Thunberg, he opines, “I think ‘poor girl.’ She would like to be an adult, but has not been allowed to be a child. Her childhood is gone, and now she is a kind of grown-up child.” Mother Ernman’s career has ended, he stated, “which is why she has kidnapped her eldest daughter and is using her skills.”

Jalving praised Thunberg’s efforts to “save” the environment, Sputnik reports, but argued that she is part of a “devilish covenant” with her mother. “The family is in deep crisis ... the book should have never been published, but instead one should have tried to help the family. The book is a cry for help,” he concluded.
Old 3rd August 2019, 10:41 AM   #123
Olmstead
Scholar

OK here's one at random:

Selective mutism, asperger's and OCD:

Do you think a 12-year-old has gone to get herself diagnosed? No, it's her pushy parents looking for a trendy label.

Her parents helped her channel her passions.

So, not a random shelf-filler's daughter from Warrington (they of course have no fancy diagnoses attached to them) but the daughter of pushy parents who got a camera crew to film her 'making her own way to Poland' and sitting in the lobby with a placard 'all by herself' (apart from the film crew).

And now she is an international star, written her own book (because, of course, the parents wish to imply she is a 'genius' [asperger's, you know?]) and nominated Malala-style for a Nobel Peace Prize.

I have known about climate change for years. It is incorrect to say 'adults do not care' as I did carbon footprints for a business case study when Greta was in kindergarten. One such business was a 'green' Tesco supermarket.

Greta is super but let's face it, has her svengali-style parents managing her 'career'.
You're absolutely right. Unless a teenage campaigner's parents are completely apathetic about climate change, I won't give them the time of day. Wait, no, in that case it's just teenage rebellion. Unless a teenage campaigner is an orphan brought up in a multicultural environment in which they were exposed to a multitude of views and funded their campaigning without any outside help, I won't give them the time of day.

There, I think I'm safe now.
Olmstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 10:50 AM   #124
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
larouchepub

Sputnik
Do you have a more credible source than insane the LaRouche movement, which even directly quotes the Russian propaganda and disinformation outlet Sputnik?

Last edited by Arcade22; 3rd August 2019 at 10:51 AM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 10:58 AM   #125
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Do you have a more credible source than insane the LaRouche movement, which even directly quotes the Russian propaganda and disinformation outlet Sputnik?

I laid that trap deliberately for you, buddy, Was up in the search results.

It doesn't matter one bit who summarizes the review of a journalist who came to simiilar conclusions like the one who wrote the extensive review I read (also, like the Danish one, being very sympathetic to Greta's cause).

But you knew that. But couldn't help yourself. Really on a roll, aren't we?
Old 3rd August 2019, 11:12 AM   #126
ThatGuy11200
Thinker

OK here's one at random:

Do you think a 12-year-old has gone to get herself diagnosed? No, it's her pushy parents looking for a trendy label.

So, not a random shelf-filler's daughter from Warrington (they of course have no fancy diagnoses attached to them) but the daughter of pushy parents who got a camera crew to film her 'making her own way to Poland' and sitting in the lobby with a placard 'all by herself' (apart from the film crew).

And now she is an international star, written her own book (because, of course, the parents wish to imply she is a 'genius' [asperger's, you know?]) and nominated Malala-style for a Nobel Peace Prize.

I have known about climate change for years. It is incorrect to say 'adults do not care' as I did carbon footprints for a business case study when Greta was in kindergarten. One such business was a 'green' Tesco supermarket.

Greta is super but let's face it, has her svengali-style parents managing her 'career'.
“I overthink. Some people can just let things go, but I can’t, especially if there’s something that worries me or makes me sad," Greta said in an interview with The Guardian.

She's not the only one, apparently.

If her parents are 'managing her career' then they are doing a fine job of it. They should continue encouraging her to make a name for herself and fight for what she thinks is right. I wish more parents were like.
ThatGuy11200 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 11:26 AM   #127
catsmate
No longer the 1

It is horrendous her parents have piled all these labels on her 'autistic' etc.etc., as though having a moral conscience means you are 'high functioning aspergers' or whatever.
What in the ******* are you ranting about? Why are you claiming, with no evidence, that "her parents have piled all these labels on her" including her autism diagnosis?

Whatever she is, she is perfectly normal and not special as claimed by her parents just because they have had her labelled her as some kind of freak.

Pushy parents: ugh, gimme a break.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 11:30 AM   #128
3point14
Pi

I laid that trap deliberately for you, buddy,
Sure you did...

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 11:31 AM   #129
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
I think you misunderstand theprestige here. You see, he isn't talking about climate change or anything in this thread, he's decided to pick up the Cloak of Self-Martyrdom last worn proudly by that insufferable prat, TBD, and decided to twirl about in front of the mirror to see how he looks in it.
Ah, thanks. I wouldn't know having killfiled both of them long ago.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 11:33 AM   #130
Arcade22
Philosopher

It doesn't matter one bit who summarizes the review of a journalist who came to simiilar conclusions like the one who wrote the extensive review I read (also, like the Danish one, being very sympathetic to Greta's cause).

But you knew that. But couldn't help yourself. Really on a roll, aren't we?
Whatever you say, Ivan. You're not fooling anyone.
Old 3rd August 2019, 11:35 AM   #131
catsmate
No longer the 1

OK here's one at random:
Doesn't support your assertions in any way.

Yes and?

Do you think a 12-year-old has gone to get herself diagnosed?
Quite possibly, I've heard of cases. Children aren't idiots you know.
Most likely parents, family, school et cetera. Possibly general screening in school.

No, it's her pushy parents looking for a trendy label.
I'm waiting for your evidence of this claim...

Good. Supportive parents are a help to children.

Support for this claim?

More random drivel.

So?

Evidence?
Old 3rd August 2019, 11:36 AM   #132
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
You weren't conned, you just weren't paying attention to this activist over the last year or so.

She's been in the news since she started a strike at her school in Sweden. It grew over time, more teens got involved. The climate change conference you are so annoyed she was a star speaker at came after months of her campaigning. And no wonder her parents are there, d'uh, she's 16, helloo, traveling to another country.
Hey now, we did a school trip to the old USSR when we were 14.
Old 3rd August 2019, 11:39 AM   #133
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Has he ever?

And yet your quote only comes up from the nutjob and Putin propaganda sites.
Fail.
Old 3rd August 2019, 12:09 PM   #134
Francesca R
Girl

And now she is [ . . . ] nominated Malala-style for a Nobel Peace Prize.
Are you claiming that her parents bribed the nominators or what?

(I don't actually think it's a great idea for nominators to go public since this almost undoubtedly increases the amount of protection Miss Thunberg needs.)
Francesca R is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 12:16 PM   #135
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
That's nice to know.

Now about climate change problems?
I don't see any evidence pushy parents are behind Greta anyway. She doesn't sound like she's reading any kind of a prepared speech.
Old 3rd August 2019, 12:18 PM   #136
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Remember that a lot of these same people calling Thunberg a freak, apparently take umbrage at any suggestion that Trump's got highly abnormal behaviour that suggests he needs a medical checkup.
Good point.
Old 3rd August 2019, 12:20 PM   #137
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
She's special alright. Special enough to be targeted by right wing hatred around the globe. That's because of what she's saying and what she represents. ...
I do believe this has become a prominent issue. Anyone who is successful promoting anything Progressive must be neutralized via the right-wing echo chamber.
Old 3rd August 2019, 12:23 PM   #138
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Because people aren't listening.

Because the civilised world is literally in peril and we do nothing because it will cost rich people money.

Because George Bush changed the debate from 'Global Warming' to 'Climate change' because it sounds less scary. It should be scary.

Because low lying islands are already being evacuated.

Because we are not doing enough.

Anyone that speaks truth regarding this and can get people to listen and understand is worth championing. ...
Because these kids believe the adults are ******* up the world the kids will be living in after the adults are dead.
Old 3rd August 2019, 12:23 PM   #139
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Okay then, after "I don't listen to children" and "someone else has said all this before", you're now going with "This is all off topic. I can go with 'this is off topic', however, I think the topic is actually 'climate change deniers and the depths they will go to'.
Fair enough. I tend to take the thread title as the theme the thread starter intends to set for the discussion.

Quote:
However:

What do you think of the article in the OP? Do you agree it's a tissue of obviously fallacious reasoning written bey a man desperate to draw attention away from the excellent, valid and scientifically accurate comments this young lady is making?
Honestly? I didn't get that far. The article in question is behind a paywall. The excerpts quoted in the OP do a good job of making the author seem like a jackass not worth paying attention to. So I didn't bother. I'll take your word for it that his reasoning is an obviously fallacious tissue; and that her comments are excellent, valid, and scientifically accurate.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 12:26 PM   #140
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

What parent publicises their kid's private medical/psychological issues? The parents are holding up their daughter as 'special' - one in a billion.

Yet, there are many, many enthusiastic passionate people who care strongly about the health of the planet. There are thousands upon thousands of teenagers who do not live up to the 'norm' of what teenagers are supposed to be (party-loving, irresponsible, loud). Truth is, Greta is a great gal but she is not so very different from many other teenagers. I have nothing against her. It is her parents who get on my nerves, with their long lists of 'what is wrong with Greta' when AFAICS she is not abnormal.
Is this your slow walking back of the ad hominem attack?

It's not Greta, it's her parents
and BTW she's not really that special.

Wrong and wrong. Keep trying, you might get there.
Old 3rd August 2019, 12:30 PM   #141
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
I have somehow managed to be completely unaware of Thunberg's parents and their apparently never-ending lists of what's wrong with their daughter, while simultaneously knowing who she is, what she's concerned about and what she's doing about it.
Me too. This thread is the first I've ever heard about the parents and the autism issue. Imagine that, I missed all that while being very familiar with Greta, the student strikes and her growing renown in global warming conferences.
Old 3rd August 2019, 12:33 PM   #142
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Me too. This thread is the first I've ever heard about the parents and the autism issue. Imagine that, I missed all that while being very familiar with Greta, the student strikes and her growing renown in global warming conferences.
There you go, then. You've been manipulated by the Thunberg's PR machine.
Old 3rd August 2019, 12:34 PM   #143
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Some people aren't.

We're listening, though. We're arguing about climate change on this board pretty regularly. If all she's saying is stuff that we're already arguing about, then there's no reason for we here to spend much time on what she's saying.

Unless she really is saying something novel about climate change, this:

Is a red herring.

This thread, for whatever retarded reason, is about Thunberg the person. If you want to talk about what she's saying, start a thread about climate change. Or just find one of the threads about climate change already in progress, and talk about it.
OK, who is talking about organizing student strikes then? Who is pointing out that these kids have every right to complain the adults are failing to act while it is the kids who stand to be stuck with the consequences?

Perhaps that last sentence has has a brief mention.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 3rd August 2019 at 12:35 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 12:35 PM   #144
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Is this your slow walking back of the ad hominem attack?

It's not Greta, it's her parents
and BTW she's not really that special.

Wrong and wrong. Keep trying, you might get there.
It's exploiting a vulnerable kid. Making her feel special and different, when truth is, she is probably not that different from her peers.
Old 3rd August 2019, 12:36 PM   #145
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

She talks about her autism and her selective mutism in her speeches, so that part is easy to know.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 12:38 PM   #146
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

OK, who is talking about organizing student strikes then? Who is pointing out that these kids have every right to complain the adults are failing to act while it is the kids who stand to be stuck with the consequences?

Perhaps that last sentence has has a brief mention.
For crying out loud. Every new generation believes 'the adults have failed to act'.

When I was eight, I was stricken by the thought of people starving in the world. I made my mother send off all of my spare money to a famine-relief charity. I went on a 30-mile walk for Oxfam with sponsorship. Was I special? No.
Old 3rd August 2019, 12:38 PM   #147
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Not sure y'all needed a whole thread just to figure this out, but whatever. What's the consensus? Brave campaigner? Or deeply disturbed?
Do you have even a drop of evidence for that highlighted part that isn't from an unsupported assertion in the right wing echo chamber?
Old 3rd August 2019, 12:42 PM   #148
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Doesn't support your assertions in any way.

Yes and?

Most likely parents, family, school et cetera. Possibly general screening in school.

I'm waiting for your evidence of this claim...

Good. Supportive parents are a help to children.

Support for this claim?

More random drivel.

So?

Evidence?

Take a look at this piece of pretentiousness:

Quote:
Her father is Svante Thunberg, an actor and author named after Svante Arrhenius, the Nobel prize-winning scientist who first calculated how carbon dioxide emissions could lead to the greenhouse effect.
What?!

'Svante' is a common Swedish name and indeed Svante [Sture] founded the Swedish empire (seeing off King Christian of Denmark). He named his son 'Svante' and there are a whole load of 'em down history.

The above guff tells you Greta is merely a mouthpiece of her global warming fanatic dad.

I am sure she is sincere herself but her parents are contemptible.
Old 3rd August 2019, 12:46 PM   #149
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

OK here's one at random:

This sounds like she's a child prodigy, not that she's a facade for her parents vicarious living.

Care to cite a link so we have some context.

Here's a link showing a few other child prodigies: Cracked*: 8 Child Prodigies So Amazing They'll Ruin Your Day (*Cracked is a good source of lists.)

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 3rd August 2019 at 12:48 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 12:48 PM   #150
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

What?!

'Svante' is a common Swedish name and indeed Svante [Sture] founded the Swedish empire (seeing off King Christian of Denmark). He named his son 'Svante' and there are a whole load of 'em down history.

The above guff tells you Greta is merely a mouthpiece of her global warming fanatic dad.

People with common names can still be named after someone specific. It's not that uncommon to do so.

What a very strange criticism. What has that got to do with Thunberg's message anyway?
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 01:06 PM   #151
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

What?!

Are you incapable of posting a link, or reluctant to reveal all your information is coming from right-wing sources know to push these kinds of smears?
Old 3rd August 2019, 01:14 PM   #152
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Do you have even a drop of evidence for that highlighted part that isn't from an unsupported assertion in the right wing echo chamber?
Why are you asking me? I hadn't even heard of the girl until Matthew Best started this thread, what? Yesterday?

Why not ask him why he thinks this is even a question?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 01:30 PM   #153
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Are you incapable of posting a link, or reluctant to reveal all your information is coming from right-wing sources know to push these kinds of smears?
Country Living - a 'Green' website is a 'right-wing source'?
Old 3rd August 2019, 01:33 PM   #154
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Are you anti-behavioral-health generally, or is it Autism Spectrum Disorder specifically that you believe is fictional?
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 01:35 PM   #155
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

When I was eight, I was stricken by the thought of people starving in the world. I made my mother send off all of my spare money to a famine-relief charity. I went on a 30-mile walk for Oxfam with sponsorship. Was I special? No.

I abused my father's high price nine-needle printer (manufactured in the GDR) to print stickers that said "even one-cell organisms need love" in German. For some reason the one-cell organism I drew was distinctive enough to have had a happy smile on its face.
Old 3rd August 2019, 02:06 PM   #156
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

This all reminds me of one German super hit of the eighties, Herbert Grönemeyer's "Kinder an die Macht" ("give power to the children", you'll find a translation if you look for it).

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Problem is while the most sophisticated propaganda apparatus in history is bothering all of us daily, we can't give power to the second-most vulnerable group of people to that influence (after pseudo-skeptics), regardless of how pure their intentions might be.
Old 3rd August 2019, 02:26 PM   #157
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Country Living - a 'Green' website is a 'right-wing source'?
So from that you took all those quotes and expanded them into a whole rant of baseless opinion.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 3rd August 2019 at 02:29 PM.
Old 3rd August 2019, 02:32 PM   #158
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Why are you asking me? I hadn't even heard of the girl until Matthew Best started this thread, what? Yesterday?

Why not ask him why he thinks this is even a question?
I asked you because you said it. Who cares if someone else said it also.

That's one of Trump's techniques, BTW. He makes a BS assertion then when asked to support it he says, "I don't know but that's what people are saying."

BTW, Greta herself answered in a Tweet cited above:
Quote:
I am indeed ”deeply disturbed” about the fact that these hate and conspiracy campaigns are allowed to go on and on and on just because we children communicate and act on the science. Where are the adults?

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 3rd August 2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old 3rd August 2019, 04:30 PM   #159
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

OK here's one at random:

I simply don't get why you think parents recognizing their daughter isn't like other children and taking her to the doctor, only to have the doctor diagnose her with Aspergers is somehow reflecting poorly on the parents.

I also don't understand why you feel her parents supporting her endeavors is a bad thing.

It seems to me that you are reaching for things to not like in order to be able to dismiss this girl. For some reason.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 04:36 PM   #160
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

What?!

The difference between this Svante and other Svantes is that this one was named from Svante Arrhenius. It says so right in the article. That's not pretentious. It's rather common to name your children from famous people.

No, it doesn't.

Someone sure is contemptible.

Tell me, Vixen: Do you believe autism is a real thing?

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events