ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , Andrew Bolt , autism , environmental activists , Greta Thunberg

Reply
Old 5th August 2019, 08:49 AM   #201
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 38,914
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Her message isn't for you. It's for people her own age - as I said before, teens who have just reached or are about to reach voting age.

She's not bringing any new information to the table. She's not claiming or pretending to be. She's just bringing a new audience to the information - and the polls. You aren't part of that audience. That's fine. You don't have to concern yourself with anything she says or does in the slightest.
Exactly.

3point14's concern about her message here:
Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Got anything to say about what she actually says?

Or is this the character assassination thread where we ignore the issues she's raising and focus on the ad hominem attacks?
Is entirely beside the point of the thread. We already stipulate her message. We've already been debating her message here for years.

This thread, is explicitly intended to be a discussion of the person, not of her message.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 08:52 AM   #202
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 38,914
Originally Posted by ThatGuy11200 View Post
Children can help to convince their parents.

https://www.newscientist.com/article...box=1558688534

A study in North Carolina has shown that giving children hands-on lessons on climate change and getting them to talk to their parents about it can convince parents who were previously unconcerned that global warming really is a threat. Most strikingly, the biggest effect was on parents who described themselves as conservative. They flipped from being unconcerned on average to being quite concerned.

“Engaging kids like this not only gives them the knowledge to prepare themselves to deal with climate change in the future, it empowers them to make a difference now,” says Danielle Lawson of North Carolina State University, whose team carried out the two-year study. “It supports the efforts we see across the globe, that kids are taking.”


...

“Earlier studies have shown that environmental education can have a positive effect on parents,” says John Cook of the Center for Climate Change Communication at George Mason University, who was not involved in the study. “The new quirk in this research is showing that the effect is strongest among conservative, sceptical parents.”
I find this approach deeply disturbing. Adults who are having trouble convincing other adults through rational debate should probably not exploit their positions of trust to indoctrinate children to debate on their behalf. Regardless of the cromulence of the message being indoctrinated.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 08:55 AM   #203
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 38,914
Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Which bit of "I don't think she's deeply disturbed" was not clear?
No bit of that was not clear.

I am addressing the excuse you originally made for not answering.

Quote:
I'll say it again: I don't think she's deeply disturbed, and I certainly haven't seen any evidence of that. I actually think she rocks.
And yet you started a thread to import the insinuation that she could actually be deeply disturbed. You could have simply discussed how much you think she rocks, without focusing on this right-wing jackass and his jackass ideas.

Quote:
I also haven't seen any evidence that she has unpleasantly pushy parents.
I have no opinion about that.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 09:37 AM   #204
ThatGuy11200
Thinker
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: London
Posts: 185
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I find this approach deeply disturbing. Adults who are having trouble convincing other adults through rational debate should probably not exploit their positions of trust to indoctrinate children to debate on their behalf. Regardless of the cromulence of the message being indoctrinated.
There are plenty of adults who can't be convinced through rational debate with other adults because they become defensive about their personal beliefs. What I find disturbing is that there are people who cannot change their stance on an issue when presented with evidence, regardless of the seriousness of the situation.

Teaching children about natural processes isn't 'indoctrination'; it's a science education. Perhaps you'd prefer if they were told about some imaginary god so they could pray climate change away.
ThatGuy11200 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 11:31 AM   #205
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Suomi
Posts: 17,128
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Er how does that answer this Matthew's request for a citation.



Nobody is doubting that there are online ASD questionnaires, it was (1) the assertion that half the diagnoses of ASD are self-diagnosed, and what wasn't mentioned, the implication that Greta Thunberg was self-diagnosed.
I didn't imply that at all. I clearly said her parents got her diagnosed.
__________________
Then let the way appear, steps unto heav'n.
All that thou sendest me, in mercy giv'n.'
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 11:33 AM   #206
Matthew Best
Philosopher
 
Matthew Best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Leicester Square, London
Posts: 6,962
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
And yet you started a thread to import the insinuation that she could actually be deeply disturbed. You could have simply discussed how much you think she rocks, without focusing on this right-wing jackass and his jackass ideas.
Whatevs.
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 11:33 AM   #207
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 24,418
The supplying of simple scientific facts to children is not "indoctrination". That is a right-wing propagandic talking-point commonly used to demonize public education in general but particularly science classes in public schools. It is most notably a darling of YECs who wish to remove basic biology from science classes, or force the inclusion of Creationism teachings, or preferably both.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 11:35 AM   #208
Matthew Best
Philosopher
 
Matthew Best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Leicester Square, London
Posts: 6,962
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I didn't imply that at all. I clearly said her parents got her diagnosed.
You clearly said that half the diagnoses of ASD are self-diagnosed. I've seen no evidence of this, from you or anywhere else. Quite what it has to do with this thread I have no idea, but you brought it up presumably for some reason, and not just so that everyone could laugh at you.
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 11:44 AM   #209
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Suomi
Posts: 17,128
Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
You clearly said that half the diagnoses of ASD are self-diagnosed. I've seen no evidence of this, from you or anywhere else. Quite what it has to do with this thread I have no idea, but you brought it up presumably for some reason, and not just so that everyone could laugh at you.
I said 'half the people you meet with Aspergers have diagnosed themselves'.

I have met no end of people claiming to be asperger's or labelled as such by others. For example, when I worked in the city, whilst everybody else went out at lunchtime, there was one individual who could always be found sitting at his desk eating his homemade sandwiches. He was called, 'Asperger's' as if to explain it and as if it was grossly abnormal to not demonstrate your job was so high-powered you didn't have time to make your own lunch but had to pop out - preferably at a brisk pace - to Pret's or the salt beef sandwich bar, or join an interminable round of someone's birthday or leaving do.

Some people wear 'Asperger's' as a badge. Usually IT nerds who sit in their bedrooms hacking Fort Knox or the White House and ending up getting extradited, with their distraught mum begging for clemency because her dear son has 'got Asperger's' and just can't stop hacking computers and annoying US governments.

In other words, the parents of Greta publicise Greta's Aspergers as though it is somehow trendy to have Asperger's. How do you think Andrew Bolt got to know about Greta's 'long list' of disorders, if not from her doting parents?
__________________
Then let the way appear, steps unto heav'n.
All that thou sendest me, in mercy giv'n.'
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 11:47 AM   #210
Matthew Best
Philosopher
 
Matthew Best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Leicester Square, London
Posts: 6,962
So, no evidence then?
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 12:01 PM   #211
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 24,418
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I said 'half the people you meet with Aspergers have diagnosed themselves'.
This statement is functionally identical to what Matthew Best described you as saying, and carries the same problems.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 12:06 PM   #212
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Suomi
Posts: 17,128
Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
So, no evidence then?
For a start, it hasn't been a recognised disorder since early 2013.

Quote:
Until May 22, with the official release of the DSM-5, Asperger's was considered related to but distinct from autism. DSM-5 contains a new disorder that replaces both the old autistic disorder and Asperger's: It is called autism spectrum disorder. [5 Things that Might Really Cause Autism]
https://www.livescience.com/37333-ds...-disorder.html

What more evidence do you need?
__________________
Then let the way appear, steps unto heav'n.
All that thou sendest me, in mercy giv'n.'
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 12:22 PM   #213
Matthew Best
Philosopher
 
Matthew Best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Leicester Square, London
Posts: 6,962
Any at all?
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 12:40 PM   #214
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 24,418
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
For a start, it hasn't been a recognised disorder since early 2013.

https://www.livescience.com/37333-ds...-disorder.html

What more evidence do you need?
The passage you just quoted makes it clear that it's still recognized, just now as ASD along with the other kinds of autism.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 12:57 PM   #215
applecorped
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 19,796
Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
So, no evidence then?
Whatevs
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 01:01 PM   #216
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Suomi
Posts: 17,128
Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Any at all?
Quote:
But one trend on the rise is adults self diagnosing autism spectrum disorder (ASD). Now, more than ever, adults are recognizing signs of autism in themselves, leading to contact with a professional who may diagnose them with autism or some form of ASD.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/are-a...rEg5DkTEGlj4Hd
__________________
Then let the way appear, steps unto heav'n.
All that thou sendest me, in mercy giv'n.'
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 01:13 PM   #217
Matthew Best
Philosopher
 
Matthew Best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Leicester Square, London
Posts: 6,962
Still no backup for your 50% figure? I presume that arose from rectal extraction.
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 02:14 PM   #218
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Suomi
Posts: 17,128
Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Still no backup for your 50% figure? I presume that arose from rectal extraction.
If you are an English speaker you would know that when people say 'half' it is an idiom, a figure of speech and means of expressing quantity. For example, 'It ain't 'alf hot/cold/good', 'Half the time', 'Half an inkling' a 'half wit', 'Half way to paradise', 'meet half way', 'half way house', etc.

So if someone says to you, 'half the people you meet' then you should know it is vernacular and not a mathematical equation.
__________________
Then let the way appear, steps unto heav'n.
All that thou sendest me, in mercy giv'n.'
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 02:56 PM   #219
Matthew Best
Philosopher
 
Matthew Best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Leicester Square, London
Posts: 6,962
So it was a completely made up figure with nothing to back it up. Got it.

Now perhaps we can move on.
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 03:57 PM   #220
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Suomi
Posts: 17,128
Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
So it was a completely made up figure with nothing to back it up. Got it.

Now perhaps we can move on.
Not so.

However, I'll let you have the last word.
__________________
Then let the way appear, steps unto heav'n.
All that thou sendest me, in mercy giv'n.'
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 04:36 PM   #221
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft
 
Childlike Empress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ivory Tower
Posts: 17,547
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Not so.

However, I'll let you have the last word.

No, let me have it. A justifiably criticized thread with me being the only one who answered the question correctly: "false dichotomy"; and the OP aggressively hiding behind unclear statements of others after he was called out.

I made it a running gag btw to everytime when a wasteful use of resources comes up in conversation say heavy with meaning "und Greta weint" (and Greta cries). Works quite well on both the activist and the subversive level (they both laugh together).
__________________
Audiatur et altera pars

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 5th August 2019 at 04:39 PM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 06:15 PM   #222
Matthew Best
Philosopher
 
Matthew Best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Leicester Square, London
Posts: 6,962
Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
No, let me have it. A justifiably criticized thread with me being the only one who answered the question correctly: "false dichotomy"; and the OP aggressively hiding behind unclear statements of others after he was called out.
"Aggressively hiding"?

Well, that one's new to me!
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 06:05 AM   #223
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 21,212
Originally Posted by Francesca R View Post
Are you claiming that her parents bribed the nominators or what?
There are over three hundred nominees, not an unusual number. There are literally thousands of possible nominators. Being nominated is not at all difficult.
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 06:07 AM   #224
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 21,212
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Because these kids believe the adults are ******* up the world the kids will be living in after the adults are dead.
This. They'll be living in the damaged world that the current rightists don't want to start fixing.

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Me too. This thread is the first I've ever heard about the parents and the autism issue. Imagine that, I missed all that while being very familiar with Greta, the student strikes and her growing renown in global warming conferences.
I was aware of the autism, not the parents.

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
There you go, then. You've been manipulated by the Thunberg's PR machine.
Just ******* pathetic.
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 06:18 AM   #225
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 21,212
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
It's exploiting a vulnerable kid. Making her feel special and different, when truth is, she is probably not that different from her peers.
Any evidence for this one of your numerous assertions?

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
For crying out loud. Every new generation believes 'the adults have failed to act'.
I can you haven't noticed, or can't be bothered to care, the planet on which we live (for the moment) is undergoing climactic alteration due to human activities.
This is somewhat important.

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
When I was eight, I was stricken by the thought of people starving in the world. I made my mother send off all of my spare money to a famine-relief charity. I went on a 30-mile walk for Oxfam with sponsorship. Was I special? No.
Unlike your efforts Ms. Thunberg is actually having an effect. Maybe you should have tried harder?

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Take a look at this piece of pretentiousness:
What?!

'Svante' is a common Swedish name and indeed Svante [Sture] founded the Swedish empire (seeing off King Christian of Denmark). He named his son 'Svante' and there are a whole load of 'em down history.
What "pretentiousness"? Other than in your imagination of course.
Arrhenius was a brilliant, polymathic, scientist, an early Nobel laureate and someone you'd have encountered early on if you'd studied science. He also crops up in the fields of toxicology, geology, astrobiology and climatography.
Hardly unusual for someone to be named after him.

I was at college with an Ernest who'd been named for another Nobel laureate.

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
The above guff tells you Greta is merely a mouthpiece of her global warming fanatic dad.
Evidence for this claim of your?

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I am sure she is sincere herself but her parents are contemptible.
Evidence for this claim of your?
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 06:20 AM   #226
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 21,212
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Country Living - a 'Green' website is a 'right-wing source'?

Oh dear jeebus...
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 06:34 AM   #227
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 21,212
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
The difference between this Svante and other Svantes is that this one was named from Svante Arrhenius. It says so right in the article. That's not pretentious. It's rather common to name your children from famous people.
Especially by a father, the actor Olof Thunberg, who was distantly related to Arrhenius.
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 06:37 AM   #228
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 21,212
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Autism is real and there is nothing cute or fashionable about it.
Excellent, you accept some reality.

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Greta is likely a deeply anxious person and now she has to travel to the US by boat for fear of being not being seen to practice what she preaches.
And your basis, including expertise, for this diagnosis?
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 07:04 AM   #229
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 21,212
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Nobody said it was shameful. What is concerning IMV is that her parents advertise this fact as though it explains Greta's passion for climate change activism.
Evidence?

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Half the people you meet with 'Aspergers' have diagnosed themself
Evidence?

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
It is her parents who see her condition as shameful in their need to 'explain' to the public and the media Greta's presence, which is charming and doesn't need to be justified.
Evidence?

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I had an ex who started a school picket aged seven*, together with placards saying, 'We want to go to school', in response to there being some kind of strike by teachers. Whilst he was all for it at the time, it was actually his Mum's idea. Children are influenced by their parents.
Worthless anecdote.

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Greta isn't the first to be concerned about the future of the world. That's not taking anything away from her.
Nice of you.

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
However. school kids going on strike is not anything new nor is campaigning against climate change.
And......?

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I didn't like the way Greta's parents were manoeuvering all the publicity Greta got at the climate change conference.
Evidence?

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
They probably thought it a wizard idea for her to speak up 'on behalf of children'.
Evidence?

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Wrong. This was how it was presented on a TV news broadcast. A serious looking 'school girl from Swedn' making her own way to Poland (iirc) a sad lonely figure with a placard begging at the door to be let in and then sitting on the floor by herself.



Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Far from being the random school kid as portrayed by the BBC she was actually pampered and had fanatical climate-change parents.
Evidence?

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
What appalled me was when they gave out a long list of her supposed disabilities. OCD at age twelve? Really? Selective mutism?
Evidence?

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
The DAILY MAIL carried an article
Seriously? You're quote the Fail and it's nonsense?
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 07:07 AM   #230
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 21,212
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
https://www.aspergerstestsite.com/aq-test/

To take the Asperger’s test please answer the statements below and determine how strongly you agree or disagree with the statements. At the end of the test you will be given a score to indicate where you score on the spectrum.
And your evidence for this site's dubious test methodology is the cause for half the ASD diagnoses?
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 07:10 AM   #231
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 21,212
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I said 'half the people you meet with Aspergers have diagnosed themselves'.
And we're still waiting your evidence for this claim...
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 07:11 AM   #232
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 21,212
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
For a start, it hasn't been a recognised disorder since early 2013.

https://www.livescience.com/37333-ds...-disorder.html

What more evidence do you need?
You might want to actually read that. It does not say what you claim it does.
Is this more carelessness (and desperation to support your point) or active dishonesty on your part?
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 07:12 AM   #233
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 21,212
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Not so.

However, I'll let you have the last word.
So no evidence then?
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 07:56 AM   #234
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"
 
jimbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 21,496
Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Country Living - a 'Green' website is a 'right-wing source'?

Oh dear jeebus...
^^Wot you said.

It's a lifestyle magazine for the wealthy and aspiring wealthy.
__________________
OECD healthcare spending
Expenditure on healthcare
http://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/health-data.htm
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 12:45 PM   #235
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13,414
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
As a global warming semi-skeptic who still feels that green is better (and nuclear is better still), I wince when I see tone-deaf stuff like this being using to promote a pretty reasonable effort. Let's listen to this child because.... what? All the adults who are working against global warming who actually have college degrees and masters and doctorates aren't enough?
Because she's saying what the rest of use have been saying, and the difference is that people listen to her.

Deal with it.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 12:47 PM   #236
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13,414
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I didn't imply that at all. I clearly said her parents got her diagnosed.
And that's wrong. Her parents brought her to a doctor. The doctor diagnosed her.

Why do you hate science?
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 01:31 PM   #237
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft
 
Childlike Empress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ivory Tower
Posts: 17,547
I noticed that at the recent EU parliamentary elections the Greens had big successes in several countries, especially in Germany where they topped all records. But not in Sweden where they shrunk. Do our resident Swedes think there is a connection between the Greta family and that result? Or am I evil for even asking that question?
__________________
Audiatur et altera pars

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 6th August 2019 at 01:38 PM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 02:30 PM   #238
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Suomi
Posts: 17,128
Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Any evidence for this one of your numerous assertions?


I can you haven't noticed, or can't be bothered to care, the planet on which we live (for the moment) is undergoing climactic alteration due to human activities.
This is somewhat important.


Unlike your efforts Ms. Thunberg is actually having an effect. Maybe you should have tried harder?



What "pretentiousness"? Other than in your imagination of course.
Arrhenius was a brilliant, polymathic, scientist, an early Nobel laureate and someone you'd have encountered early on if you'd studied science. He also crops up in the fields of toxicology, geology, astrobiology and climatography.
Hardly unusual for someone to be named after him.

I was at college with an Ernest who'd been named for another Nobel laureate.


Evidence for this claim of your?


Evidence for this claim of your?
I was in my local bookshop today cashing in a gift voucher. As I was paying, I noticed, there on the counter, a tiny little book by Greta Thunberg. I picked it up to skim through it and I was rather surprised how short it was, in very simple language and large font.

Clearly she is a big industry.

Not 'just a random school girl'.

A brand.
__________________
Then let the way appear, steps unto heav'n.
All that thou sendest me, in mercy giv'n.'
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 02:35 PM   #239
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Suomi
Posts: 17,128
Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Excellent, you accept some reality.


And your basis, including expertise, for this diagnosis?
One of my two optional specialist psychology topics was Child Psychology.

I may not be an expert but I have studied it.

ISTM Greta's mother is a pop psychlogist as she believes Greta's passion for climate change is heightened because of her [long list] of conditions.

IOW Andrew Bolt is only really quoting Thunberg's own mother.

Except he doesn't think it sweet.
__________________
Then let the way appear, steps unto heav'n.
All that thou sendest me, in mercy giv'n.'
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 02:37 PM   #240
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Suomi
Posts: 17,128
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
And that's wrong. Her parents brought her to a doctor. The doctor diagnosed her.

Why do you hate science?
When did you stop beating your wife?
__________________
Then let the way appear, steps unto heav'n.
All that thou sendest me, in mercy giv'n.'
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:56 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.