ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Old 26th September 2019, 01:41 AM   #321
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
That is what Parliament is for. To set up the rules and procedures under which the business of government operates. The is nothing that could have prevented Parliament from creating a law that requires Parliamentary approval before it is suspended or prorogued.

Leaving it up to the random rulings of a court is foolish. In this case, the SC has ruled in a way that met with overwhelming approval. What if they had ruled the other way?
Parliament sets the rules, the courts enforce them.

Governments often end up being accused of breaking the law and it ends up in court. Other examples of the courts ruling that a government has broken the law include Gurkha residency rights and police pensions. The courts have also previously ruled on Brexit;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37857785

"Parliament must vote on whether the UK can start the process of leaving the EU, the High Court has ruled.
This means the government cannot trigger Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty - beginning formal exit negotiations with the EU - on its own."
Old 26th September 2019, 01:45 AM   #322
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

I heard that Ken Clarke tried to make the point to the Conservative Party last night: Would you be happy if Jeremy Corbyn was PM and had the right to shut down Parliament whenever he wanted to? Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be the right time for sensible people presenting rational arguments.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 01:55 AM   #323
Garrison
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
I heard that Ken Clarke tried to make the point to the Conservative Party last night: Would you be happy if Jeremy Corbyn was PM and had the right to shut down Parliament whenever he wanted to? Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be the right time for sensible people presenting rational arguments.

Dave
It rather sums up the Brexiteers, never mind the cost or consequences so long as they get what they want now.
Old 26th September 2019, 02:07 AM   #324
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Ken Clarke's awesome. He'd get my vote as an interim PM in a government of national unity.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:11 AM   #325
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
Parliament sets the rules, the courts enforce them.

Governments often end up being accused of breaking the law and it ends up in court. Other examples of the courts ruling that a government has broken the law include Gurkha residency rights and police pensions. The courts have also previously ruled on Brexit;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37857785

"Parliament must vote on whether the UK can start the process of leaving the EU, the High Court has ruled.
This means the government cannot trigger Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty - beginning formal exit negotiations with the EU - on its own."
What has any of that got to do with the post you quoted? Parliament didn't set any rules for prorogation.
Old 26th September 2019, 02:15 AM   #326
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Ian Osborne View Post
Ken Clarke's awesome. He'd get my vote as an interim PM in a government of national unity.
+1. It would be the one thing that would give me a shred of hope that this all might turn out reasonably OK. I've never voted Conservative in my life, but I'd trust Clarke to do what's right.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:17 AM   #327
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

What has any of that got to do with the post you quoted? Parliament didn't set any rules for prorogation.
Prorogation is common law, which developed from the Monarchy and the first Parliaments and the government needs to obey common law.

Parliament has developed proroguing into a primarily ceremonial act, with occasional exceptions, such as John Major in 1997. But his proroguing was not challenged. If it had, it may have been ruled unlawful.

Last edited by Nessie; 26th September 2019 at 02:19 AM.
Nessie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:18 AM   #328
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

+1. It would be the one thing that would give me a shred of hope that this all might turn out reasonably OK. I've never voted Conservative in my life, but I'd trust Clarke to do what's right.

Dave
Far as I can see, Ken Clarke is the last voice of reason in the Tory party. There may be others, but they are rather quiet.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:49 AM   #329
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Far as I can see, Ken Clarke is the last voice of reason in the Tory party. There may be others, but they are rather quiet.
Remember he is not a tory MP he is an independent MP.
Old 26th September 2019, 03:01 AM   #330
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Remember he is not a tory MP he is an independent MP.
Whilst Nick Morgan is embracing the role of those GOP Senators who criticize Trump then vote for him.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 03:18 AM   #331
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

I've never voted Conservative in my life, but I'd trust Clarke to do what's right.
This. Many times this. I've never voted Tory in my life either, but if he was the leader, I might actually be tempted.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 03:24 AM   #332
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

That is what Parliament is for. To set up the rules and procedures under which the business of government operates. The is nothing that could have prevented Parliament from creating a law that requires Parliamentary approval before it is suspended or prorogued.

Leaving it up to the random rulings of a court is foolish. In this case, the SC has ruled in a way that met with overwhelming approval. What if they had ruled the other way?
The courts rule on law.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 03:32 AM   #333
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
But there is well established precedent from the courts that administrative actions must be done for valid reasons. Parliament hasn’t overruled this, so it stands.
Exactly her execution was a victory for brexit over remain. Other remainers need to get with the program if they know what is good for keeping their blood on the inside.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 03:34 AM   #334
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1177147467160281088

Quote:
1/ EU officials and diplomats were dismayed by last night's furore in Parliament, and events in general over the past few weeks. They have left them questioning how they will deal for years - even decades - to come with a Britain that looks increasingly divided and dysfunctional.

2/ The 'acrimony' in Parliament last night and the hostile line taken by PM Johnson has shocked some. They are worried by how much he alienated even moderate MPs on all sides of the House, without whom he can't get a majority for a deal.

3/ This follows the prorogation debacle and comments No 10 and ministers made about judges, which were clocked with concern here. A large part of the UK's plan involves the EU trusting its 'world class' institutions. 'But now we're no longer sure the institutions are holding.'

4/ Combined with the UK's alternative backstop plan, which the EU sees as unworkable and unserious, it's a bleak outlook. 'We're changing our focus from getting a deal to how to manage the potential fallout of enduring instability in the UK. We’re waking up to that reality now.'

5/ The EU side can take no comfort in looking to the Opposition as it equally unimpressed with Jeremy Corbyn's approach to Brexit. They have no desire to negotiate a new deal with Labour that it may very well then disown. And they think it's 'nowhere near' winning an election.

6/ 'The combined effect of the Labour conference, the court verdict and last night's session has done nothing to stem our concern. How are we ever going to come to a deal with this arithmetic?' They now think it's highly likely PM Johnson will walk out of the Oct 17 summit.

7/ But the Benn Act provides scant comfort either. Most here don't believe PM Johnson will break the law, and say they'll grant an extension if the UK asks. The EU will always do everything it can to avoid any blame for No Deal. Officials laugh off the idea any leader would veto.

8/ But they believe another delay will only increase the chances of No Deal down the line. Their calculation is the UK is now so riven with division that the next General Election will result in a hung parliament which will have a majority for nothing, including a further delay.

9/ And this is where PM Johnson maybe has a glimmer. The EU is tired of Brexit and wants to move on. 'If indeed there’s a small window to make a deal we should absolutely seize it, because the prospect of the UK in an extension is simply carrying over the abyss for three months.'

10/ So the outlook from Brussels' perspective this morning is pretty grim. A huge amount of the lingering hope rests on the idea PM Johnson is playing tough before the Tory conference so he can pull a rabbit out of the hat after it. But not even the optimists are that convinced.
https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status...57530948182016

Quote:
If there was any shred of doubt on the EU side about what @BorisJohnson tactics are here ahead of #euco it seems to have evaporated after last night.

Not seen EU sources so animated for a while... despair on several levels 1/thread

First despair at the whole Boris 'Trumpson' routine and what it says about sincerity of any attempts to strike a deal which Parliament will back with help of Labour MPs.

"A new low" as one official put it. /2

Second, despair at the pitiful 'non-papers' that have been presented...the fourth one this week (on goods from GB-NI) was by all accounts barely even connected to the others. Clearly not a serious basis for a border solution /3

Third, despair - or rather a weary assumption - that Mr Trumpson will continue this grandstanding and outrage-stoking right up to an including the European Council #euco on October 17.

Understand meets with EU leaders at #UNGA19 in New York did nothing to suggest otherwise /4

Fourth, and last, and most genuinely I think despairing (since all of the above had been long expected) was the feeling that the UK really is about to go the full Trump.

A new politics based on division and unilateralism - and what that means for EU-UK in long term. /5

Where does this lead? Does it belatedly bring Parliament to its senses?

Is there a majority for May's deal, which protects trade and the Union? Perhaps allied to a second confirmatory referendum?

That's the closest thing that's ever shown a majority. Might it yet? 6/ENDS
Article embedded in first tweet, quotes embedded in subsequent tweets.
Old 26th September 2019, 04:14 AM   #335
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
I read that she was a member of the Labor Party. Was she a remainer?
No, she was a member of the Labour Party and a Remainer. It's what got her killed by a far-right terrorist.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 26th September 2019 at 04:19 AM.
Information Analyst is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 04:16 AM   #336
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
James Cleverly in BBC interview “he [Johnson] did not use the word “betrayal.”

Martha Kearney: “we will not betray the people who sent us here”

Cleverly: “you‘re saying he said ‘betrayal’, he said ‘we will not betray’” !!!
Saw that. Sickening. Right down to him effectively saying that the best way to deal with the debate over whether or not to throw the baby out with the bathwater is the throw the baby out with the bathwater. The only good thing about that interview was Naga Munchetty.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 26th September 2019 at 04:20 AM.
Information Analyst is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 04:36 AM   #337
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Dave
And for as long as he wanted to.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 04:55 AM   #338
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

I find it amazing that so many people are still onboard with the Tories. What causes this apparent disconnect from reality? I have a feeling that in a hundred years, vast new areas of Psychology as a subject will be studies based on Trumpists and Brexiteers.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 04:55 AM   #339
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Prorogation is common law, which developed from the Monarchy and the first Parliaments and the government needs to obey common law.
Have you got a reference for this or are you just making it up?

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
The courts rule on law.
Not in this case.
Old 26th September 2019, 04:56 AM   #340
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
I find it amazing that so many people are still onboard with the Tories. What causes this apparent disconnect from reality?
Many of them may consider alternatives as worse. Labour for obvious reasons, LibDems because their main selling point is "not as bad as the big two". They simply disagree slightly with LibDems, fear Corbyn and take what's left.

That's what you get with FPTP system.

McHrozni
Old 26th September 2019, 04:58 AM   #341
Lothian
should be banned

[2019] UKSC 41
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 05:01 AM   #342
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Parliament created the supreme Court. If they created a roundabout way to change the law, that is their authority. They did as you described, just more convoluted.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 05:15 AM   #343
Mojo
Mostly harmless

And there was nothing to prevent Parliament creating a law that said that the actions of the executive, with respect to prorogation or anything else, are not subject to judicial review. They (unlike some here) know how the law works. They are fully aware of the current law of judicial review (and it was widely discussed a few years ago after several high-profile cases in which ministerial decisions were quashed) and have chosen not to change it. That means, as Parliament is fully aware, that the law is determined by the judicial precedents on the matter.

Quote:
Leaving it up to the random rulings of a court is foolish.

Nice* attempt to poison the well. Court decisions are not random; they are decided on the basis of legislation and precedent. This was a unanimous decision made by 11 of the most highly experienced lawyers in the country, on the basis of the law. There is nothing random about it.

*For very small values of “nice”.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky

Last edited by Mojo; 26th September 2019 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Typo
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 05:25 AM   #344
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Therefore the common law precedents set the rules. That’s how the system works. Parliament knows this, and has seen no need to legislate.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 06:08 AM   #345
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

I have previously provided you with links.

Quote:
Not in this case.
Prorogation is a law. The courts apply the law.
Old 26th September 2019, 06:38 AM   #346
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Exactly her execution was a victory for brexit over remain. Other remainers need to get with the program if they know what is good for keeping their blood on the inside.
Who ‘her’?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 06:40 AM   #347
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Who ‘her’?
That seems to have been tied to the wrong post, it was about Boris praise for Jo Cox and who her killers desires need to be taken into account.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 07:13 AM   #348
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
Quite wrong. It was planned during Tony Blair's time in office, and opened under Gordon Brown. These were Labour Prime Ministers and governments - not Tory.
And the relevance of this is?
It's fascinating, but completely expected given your habits, that you make no mention of BoJo's unlawful, politically motivated, prorogation of parliament to avoid scrutiny but focus on this irrelevance.

Do you know why the SC used the word "unlawful" instead of "unconstitutional" or "illegal"?
Because, unlike you, they understand what the terms mean.

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
I read that she was a member of the Labor Party. Was she a remainer?
Yes, murdered by a far-right, Brexit supporting, loon.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 07:15 AM   #349
catsmate
No longer the 1

Come back John Major, all is forgiven...
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 07:27 AM   #350
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Govt loses vote on suspending Parliament for Tory Party conference.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 07:31 AM   #351
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

I never thought I'd say this about a member of Margret Thatcher's Cabinet, but I agree.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 07:36 AM   #352
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

If he stands in Rushcliffe again, I might well vote for an Independent Ken Clarke
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 07:44 AM   #353
Garrison
Illuminator

And Johnson loses his 7th vote as parliament rejects a motion to grant a recess for the Conservative Party conference next week. And in what may be further bad news for Boris the Domestic Abuse Bill gets a second reading next week...
Old 26th September 2019, 07:45 AM   #354
catsmate
No longer the 1

[With respects to Cat and Callie]
The People's Republic of Britain, is it all that you hoped to attain?
The glories that shone in your daydreams, are they dimmed by the blood of the slain?
While yesterday's shining successes get harder and harder to top.
Boris, you are riding a tiger. How are you going to stop?

The Proles only follow a leader who will keep them well feted and fed,
With trial and war for your circus, you'd better not run out of bread!
The curs that have fawned at your fingers will tear out your throat if you drop.
Boris, you are riding a tiger. How are you going to stop?
Old 26th September 2019, 07:46 AM   #355
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1177197018420322305

Quote:
Bloody hell - even Rachel Johnson just now on R4 actually saying BJ under pressure from individuals who have invested billions in shorting the £ on assumption of no deal - she actually said that, out and proud#failedstate
Rachel Johnson is Boris Johnson's sister.
Old 26th September 2019, 08:04 AM   #356
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Govt loses vote on suspending Parliament for Tory Party conference.
Why didn't the Tory majority want to suspend?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 08:08 AM   #357
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Im only guessing but is it becaude they dont have one and haven't for some time?
Old 26th September 2019, 08:09 AM   #358
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I have previously provided you with links.
Not to the idea that prorogation is common law.

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
[2019] UKSC 41
Link?

Last edited by psionl0; 26th September 2019 at 08:11 AM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 08:10 AM   #359
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

What Tory majority would that be?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 08:11 AM   #360
Dave Rogers

The Conservative party doesn't have a majority.

Dave

- Myriad

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics