ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th October 2019, 05:18 PM   #1
Cainkane1
Philosopher

why is Islam taught in AMerican public schools when prayer is not allowed?

Muslim prayers and traditions are taught in public schools but Christianity and other religions are not. Does this not violate the laws against the church and state? I don't believe religion of any description should be taught in public schools.
Old 29th October 2019, 05:29 PM   #2
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
Muslim prayers and traditions are taught in public schools but Christianity and other religions are not. Does this not violate the laws against the church and state? I don't believe religion of any description should be taught in public schools.
It might help if you gave examples...
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2019, 05:29 PM   #3
d4m10n
Illuminator

Muslim prayers and traditions are taught in public schools but Christianity and other religions are not.
I don't think this is actually true.

https://www.adl.org/education/resour...ols/curriculum

https://www.wmfe.org/bible-study-in-...l-passes/96021

Last edited by d4m10n; 29th October 2019 at 05:34 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2019, 05:32 PM   #4
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

The closest thing I can think of are the old multi-cultural assemblies. But I haven't been in school since the late 90s so maybe it's changed?
Old 29th October 2019, 05:32 PM   #5
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Can we get some sources on this?
"We are enjoined, no matter how uncomfortable it might be, to consider ourselves and our cultural institutions scientifically — not to accept uncritically whatever we’re told; to surmount as best we can our hopes, conceits, and unexamined beliefs; to view ourselves as we really are." - Carl Sagan
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2019, 05:37 PM   #6
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Typical right-wing BS. Kids can not be REQUIRED to pray in schools. In the USA, that's mostly to the Xian "God", but they cannot be required to pray to Allah (which just means "God") either.
Teaching ABOUT various religions is not only acceptable, but desirable.

Last edited by Trebuchet; 29th October 2019 at 05:38 PM.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2019, 07:15 PM   #7
paiute
Graduate Poster

Muslim prayers and traditions are taught in public schools
As we are making unsubstantiated claims, may I remind you that I am the Queen of England, by the Grace of God, of Great Britain, Ireland and the British Dominions beyond the Seas, Queen, Defender of the Faith.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/36568510/A...-of-Cadaverine
paiute is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2019, 07:35 PM   #8
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by paiute View Post
As we are making unsubstantiated claims, may I remind you that I am the Queen of England, by the Grace of God, of Great Britain, Ireland and the British Dominions beyond the Seas, Queen, Defender of the Faith.
Ma'am!

...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2019, 08:18 PM   #9
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

When I was in public school, high school to be specific, I once took a class about major world religions, including Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism. Possibly a few others. Other than that sort of general information (which certainly didn't favor any one religion over the others), I don't think public schools do teach (as in indoctrinate) any religion in particular.
Old 29th October 2019, 08:36 PM   #10
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

I taught kids the basics of Islam when I was in high school. It was so they knew something about the religion of the nation they represented in Model UN. It was pretty cool getting students to talk about the Five Pillars of Islam at 7:30 in the morning, well before regular classes started. Dedicated nerds.
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2019, 08:43 PM   #11
This is The End

Muslim prayers and traditions are taught in public schools...

Stop acquiring information from inside of a bubble.
Old 29th October 2019, 08:49 PM   #12
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

This is one of those claims right-wing media play to gin the base up. No one else takes it seriously.

Hey Cainkane, most/all of us here in the US went to those same schools. What, was this going on in the bathroom or something?

This clickbait belongs in the CT forum.
Old 29th October 2019, 08:58 PM   #13
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Sounds to me like an OP made from whole cloth!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2019, 08:58 PM   #14
xjx388
Philosopher

I learned about Islam in school...

and Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism...

It was World History which you cant study without touching on religion.
Old 29th October 2019, 11:50 PM   #15
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Muslim prayers and traditions are taught in public schools but Christianity and other religions are not.
Yes they are. In my middle school social studies class we learned the basic beliefs of the world's "big 5" major religions, including Christianity.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2019, 11:57 PM   #16
Susheel
Graduate Poster

I think the distinction is between education about religion and religious education.
Old 30th October 2019, 12:06 AM   #17
Checkmite

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
I think the distinction is between education about religion and religious education.
And it is a pretty clear and fundamental distinction too, in my opinion; but some would like to ignore it for rhetorical reasons.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2019, 12:17 AM   #18
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Think the problem is you are always going to get "the" tutor who is over associated with one of them and it can get lopsided in the delivery.

I have no issue with religious classes on single religions being taught, as long as it isn't on school time (before/after school, or lunchtime type thing), and is purely opt in and not opt out.

Preferably not by one of the kids normal teachers, as it might start blurring lines in normal classes.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000

Last edited by cullennz; 30th October 2019 at 12:18 AM.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2019, 12:36 AM   #19
Checkmite

Even if that happens, the damage is minimal. When facts about the world's religions are taught in social studies classes, it's not a year-long thing, or even semester-long. We're talking a single chapter in the textbook, so a couple of days maybe. A week tops.
Old 30th October 2019, 03:00 AM   #20
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
When I was in public school, high school to be specific, I once took a class about major world religions, including Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism. Possibly a few others. Other than that sort of general information (which certainly didn't favor any one religion over the others), I don't think public schools do teach (as in indoctrinate) any religion in particular.
That is for the opening of bible studies classes that are taught as religion not as literature/history.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2019, 04:18 AM   #21
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post

It's not supposed to be true. It's a story meant to cause consternation and make people vote for Trump. And it's only shared by people with the same inclinations.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2019, 04:38 AM   #22
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Sounds to me like an OP made from whole cloth shroud!
Fixed.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2019, 07:47 AM   #23
rockysmith76
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by DuvalHMFIC View Post
The closest thing I can think of are the old multi-cultural assemblies. But I haven't been in school since the late 90s so maybe it's changed?
Mutliculturalism is a mechanation of the PC agenda.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2019, 07:48 AM   #24
rockysmith76
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Typical right-wing BS. Kids can not be REQUIRED to pray in schools. In the USA, that's mostly to the Xian "God", but they cannot be required to pray to Allah (which just means "God") either.
Teaching ABOUT various religions is not only acceptable, but desirable.
XTIAN is not a valid word.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2019, 07:48 AM   #25
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
I don't think multiculturalismWP means what you think it means.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2019, 07:51 AM   #26
Steve
Philosopher

Yeah, personal computers are like that. Always trying to change people to become more machine-like.
Old 30th October 2019, 07:52 AM   #27
Steve
Philosopher

There you go again.
Old 30th October 2019, 07:54 AM   #28
d4m10n
Illuminator

Personally I prefer James Madison's preferred abbreviation: "Xn."

https://www.loc.gov/resource/mjm.23_1175_1176/?st=text

Last edited by d4m10n; 30th October 2019 at 08:06 AM.
Old 30th October 2019, 07:54 AM   #29
Allen773
Graduate Poster

And while we’re at it, why is there a Black History Month but no White History Month?

Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2019, 07:57 AM   #30
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Allen773 View Post
And while we’re at it, why is there a Black History Month but no White History Month?

WHITE is not a valid word???
Old 30th October 2019, 08:01 AM   #31
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

You mean because you didn't capitalize it properly?
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2019, 08:04 AM   #32
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Who decided that?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2019, 08:04 AM   #33
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Who decided that?
XTIANs.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2019, 08:19 AM   #34
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by dann View Post
It's not supposed to be true. It's a story meant to cause consternation and make people vote for Trump. And it's only shared by people with the same inclinations.
Bluersjnrs Rule - Thread Trumped!

Especially since such nonsense abounds in the UK and the last time we went to the polls Trumps name didn't appear on the ballot paper. i'll check again in December but I'm not holding my breath!
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2019, 08:29 AM   #35
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
Especially since such nonsense abounds in the UK and the last time we went to the polls Trumps name didn't appear on the ballot paper.
That's because over here we spell it J-O-H-N-S-O-N.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2019, 08:33 AM   #36
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Out of curiosity, who do you think came up with the term 'Xtian'?
Old 30th October 2019, 08:36 AM   #37
Donal
Illuminator

I went to Catholic school and learned the history and basic tenets or Islam. We also learned about Hinduism, Judaism, Shintoism, Eastern Orthodox, and some of the major denominations of Protestantism. Somehow, my neighborhood of off the potato boat Irish immigrants didn't see any big controversy there.

And, oh ya, it's Cain, people. Come on.
Old 30th October 2019, 08:39 AM   #38
calebprime
moleman

CainKane1. Different animal to Cain.
Old 30th October 2019, 08:42 AM   #39
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by calebprime View Post
CainKane1. Different animal to Cain.
Worth pointing out.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2019, 09:02 AM   #40
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

If a school wants to include religion in their curriculum under social studies or cultural studies they're GTG.

In the early 1960's in Catholic school we had an introduction to Japanese culture that focused on art and the Japanese tea ceremony.

My uncle who had lived through the Pacific beach tours 42-45 was not amused.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories