ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags "A Warning" , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 8th November 2019, 03:43 PM   #1
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

"A warning", upcoming book by anonymous White House official

Apparently the same anonymous "senior White House official" who wrote the op-ed piece a while ago is about to release a whole book.

Judging by their earlier writing, and the quotes from the book cited in the link above, the author, a conservative who seemed to intiailly be enthusiastic about Trump, is not happy with the way the administration is turning out. To say the least.

Looking forward to seeing how the book is received.
Old 8th November 2019, 03:53 PM   #2
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

What's the over-under until this person is outed? It wouldn't be illegal like exposing the whistleblower.
Old 8th November 2019, 05:54 PM   #3
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

This book isn't going to convince anyone nor do I think it was intended to. The intent was to hurt Trump personally. Trumptrash, the ones who can read anyway, won't buy it. To everyone else, it will simply confirm what they already know, that Trump is an idiot man-child. It's going to be fun to watch Trump explode over this book but the author is delusional if he/she thinks there are all that many minds that are going to change.
Old 8th November 2019, 10:10 PM   #4
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

The NY Times reviewer is somewhat less than impressed:

Quote:
Anonymous has seen disturbing things. Anonymous has heard disturbing things. You, the reader, will already recognize most of what Anonymous has seen and heard as revealed in this book if you have been paying any attention to the news. Did you know that the president isn’t much of a reader? That he’s inordinately fond of autocrats? That “he stumbles, slurs, gets confused, is easily irritated, and has trouble synthesizing information”?

“A Warning,” Anonymous says, is intended for a “broad audience,” though to judge by the parade of bland, methodical arguments (Anonymous loves to qualify criticisms with a lawyerly “in fairness”), the ideal reader would seem to be an undecided voter who has lived in a cave for the past three years, and is irresistibly moved by quotations from Teddy Roosevelt and solemn invocations of Cicero.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 10:47 PM   #5
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
This book isn't going to convince anyone nor do I think it was intended to. The intent was to hurt Trump personally. Trumptrash, the ones who can read anyway, won't buy it. To everyone else, it will simply confirm what they already know, that Trump is an idiot man-child. It's going to be fun to watch Trump explode over this book but the author is delusional if he/she thinks there are all that many minds that are going to change.
I think the real fun is going to be Trump broadcasting what the book says by tweeting angry denials. It'll reach a much wider audience that way, and be much funnier. And he won't confine it to just tweets. He'll talk about it in person at inappropriate times to inappropriate audiences, as he's so often done with other things.
Old 8th November 2019, 10:49 PM   #6
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
"in all fairness" I'm "somewhat less than impressed" by Trump as President.
Old 8th November 2019, 11:01 PM   #7
ArchSas
Thinker

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
In general I agree. But the sheer lack of apparent purpose of the book made me wonder about why it was actually written (aside from sheer value as a salacious piece of tabloid fodder that's bound to sell), and now I think there's a decent chance it's an attempt at damage control by the GOP, who know that Trump's popularity is declining. Think about it, the entire framing of the book is that it's the work of a Republican official who's a part of an internal resistance that's continually shocked by Trump's incompetence. That helps create a narrative that Trump is some kind of strange aberration that the "good Republicans" don't approve of and are trying to stop. It'll make it easier for Republicans to say (at some point) "Look, we never really approved of this crazy dumbass, there were always people working to take him down from the inside."

Maybe that's just my conspiratorial thinking kicking in, but I still think it's a decent possibility. Possibly especially in a field where members of the GOP are still reluctant to criticize Trump publicly (in a way, having this book be anonymous is a safe way to criticize Trump without pissing off his base). Either way, I find it hard to trust to motivations of a person apparently so appalled by Trump's behavior they feel the need to write an expose, but who still hasn't done any actual work to stop his actions, policies, or conduct in general.

Last edited by ArchSas; 8th November 2019 at 11:22 PM.
ArchSas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 12:37 AM   #8
Susheel
Graduate Poster

From the excerpts, the book just seems to be series of very colourfully described anecdotes. Yhere also seems to be an over use of metaphors and analogies. There are no new revelations. I think the real joy of this book will not be in the reading, but in watching Trump's adolescent hissy fit.
Old 9th November 2019, 12:46 AM   #9
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
From the excerpts, the book just seems to be series of very colourfully described anecdotes. Yhere also seems to be an over use of metaphors and analogies. There are no new revelations. I think the real joy of this book will not be in the reading, but in watching Trump's adolescent hissy fit.
Fasten your seat belts, there's gonna be a hissy fit.

(Apologies to Margo Channing)
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 01:02 AM   #10
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

We all know he's never gonna read the book in its entirety. The best I could hope for is that the actual author picks out the most salacious stuff and says to him (directly in person) "Oh, my! Look at what that awful person wrote in this paragraph! And this one! And this one! You must really be angry!!!"
Old 9th November 2019, 04:20 AM   #11
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ArchSas View Post
In general I agree. But the sheer lack of apparent purpose of the book made me wonder about why it was actually written (aside from sheer value as a salacious piece of tabloid fodder that's bound to sell), and now I think there's a decent chance it's an attempt at damage control by the GOP, who know that Trump's popularity is declining. Think about it, the entire framing of the book is that it's the work of a Republican official who's a part of an internal resistance that's continually shocked by Trump's incompetence. That helps create a narrative that Trump is some kind of strange aberration that the "good Republicans" don't approve of and are trying to stop. It'll make it easier for Republicans to say (at some point) "Look, we never really approved of this crazy dumbass, there were always people working to take him down from the inside."

Maybe that's just my conspiratorial thinking kicking in, but I still think it's a decent possibility. Possibly especially in a field where members of the GOP are still reluctant to criticize Trump publicly (in a way, having this book be anonymous is a safe way to criticize Trump without pissing off his base). Either way, I find it hard to trust to motivations of a person apparently so appalled by Trump's behavior they feel the need to write an expose, but who still hasn't done any actual work to stop his actions, policies, or conduct in general.
That makes sense. I can see the anonymous author(s) coming forward at some convenient point going "see, I worked against him all along".
Old 9th November 2019, 04:48 AM   #12
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I think the real fun is going to be Trump broadcasting what the book says by tweeting angry denials. It'll reach a much wider audience that way, and be much funnier. And he won't confine it to just tweets. He'll talk about it in person at inappropriate times to inappropriate audiences, as he's so often done with other things.
I imagine that when Barbra Streisand isn’t hating the President with a burning passion, she is crossing her fingers that the effect will soon be named after him rather than her.

Last edited by Ladewig; 9th November 2019 at 04:53 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 04:52 AM   #13
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
That makes sense. I can see the anonymous author(s) coming forward at some convenient point going "see, I worked against him all along".
I wonder if that day will turn into an I-am-Spartacus moment with dozens of Republicans claiming authorship.
Old 9th November 2019, 05:10 AM   #14
dann
Philosopher

You mean it was Kellyanne the whole time? That would explain how she can still be married to George T. Conway III.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 05:39 AM   #15
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
We all know he's never gonna read the book in its entirety. The best I could hope for is that the actual author picks out the most salacious stuff and says to him (directly in person) "Oh, my! Look at what that awful person wrote in this paragraph! And this one! And this one! You must really be angry!!!"
There is something delightful about the official being able to taunt Trump about the book, and Trump knowing it's written by someone around him and not knowing who. To a pathological narcissist, this must be annoying as all ****.
Old 9th November 2019, 07:14 AM   #16
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

There is something delightful about the official being able to taunt Trump about the book, and Trump knowing it's written by someone around him and not knowing who. To a pathological narcissist, this must be annoying as all ****.
And that I think is the author's true intent.
Old 9th November 2019, 07:17 AM   #17
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I'm guessing it's Miller BTW.the author's last straw was Trump trying to keep flags from flying at half staff when McCain died. There were so many moral outrages before that but flying the flag for a Republican set him off. That sounds a lot like Miller.
Old 9th November 2019, 07:18 AM   #18
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
I mentioned the review in the catch-all Trump thread as well.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 07:43 AM   #19
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
You mean it was Kellyanne the whole time? That would explain how she can still be married to George T. Conway III.
The obvious answer is that it is her job. Spouses don't always like their spouse's boss.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 07:49 AM   #20
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

According to recent reporting, Trump obsesses over disloyalty in his ranks far more than he obsesses over Democrats et al. That's what brings out the steel balls, so to speak.

Last edited by varwoche; 9th November 2019 at 07:50 AM.
varwoche is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 07:50 AM   #21
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Anonymous carries as much credibility as Qanon.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 07:53 AM   #22
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
What's the over-under until this person is outed? It wouldn't be illegal like exposing the whistleblower.
Heck, I don't see that it would be troubling morally to out him either. I genuinely think that if he sees the president as so incompetent and dangerous, he would do more good to resign and go public with his concerns. It would also be the honorable thing to do, rather than to publicly support the administration while anonymously trashing it.

I'm not saying it would necessarily be virtuous to out him. The reason would certainly matter, for instance. But I don't know that I'd think he has any sort of right to remain anonymous. (He has a right to not divulge his name, of course, I just mean that he doesn't have a right to demand others keep silent as well.)

I agree that he's likely to be outed at some point, though I don't know how soon. I'd reckon that baseless speculation on the internet will be the first step, assuming that isn't already the case.

Speaking of baseless speculation, I guess I'm reckoning he isn't a household name yet. He's a senior official according to the Times, but I don't think it's an official often discussed.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 08:08 AM   #23
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

It's totally Pence.
Old 9th November 2019, 09:25 AM   #24
autumn1971
Master Poster

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Anonymous carries as much credibility as Qanon.
Wrong again. The NYT confirmed that the original Anonymous was, in fact, a highly placed republican staff member. Same with this book.

Apparently the Right is so committed to disloyalty and scavenging the bones of their dead that they still truly do not understand keeping a verified source anonymous.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 09:36 AM   #25
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
Wrong again. The NYT confirmed that the original Anonymous was, in fact, a highly placed republican staff member. Same with this book.

Apparently the Right is so committed to disloyalty and scavenging the bones of their dead that they still truly do not understand keeping a verified source anonymous.
I reject secret claims. "It's true but I can't provide evidence" is not an acceptable argument.
Old 9th November 2019, 11:30 AM   #26
Lurch
Muse

I reject secret claims. "It's true but I can't provide evidence" is not an acceptable argument.
Sure, Bub. Until we all are omnipresent, or at least have clairvoyance and a crystal ball, none of us can know or trust anything.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 11:33 AM   #27
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Sure, Bub. Until we all are omnipresent, or at least have clairvoyance and a crystal ball, none of us can know or trust anything.
We have the process for advancing knowledge. You produce all evidence, both in support and not, for review. Reject secret claims.
Old 9th November 2019, 11:38 AM   #28
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post

Oh, well, if the NYT says it’s true it must be true.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 12:04 PM   #29
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I just want to know where this guy was four years ago, when we needed him.
Old 9th November 2019, 12:10 PM   #30
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
Generally, it is. Unlike, say, Fox.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 12:13 PM   #31
Bob001
Philosopher

The testimony of an actual witness is evidence in itself. What additional evidence could he provide of unrecorded conversations?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 12:22 PM   #32
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
The testimony of an actual witness is evidence in itself. What additional evidence could he provide of unrecorded conversations?
Open evidence that the person was in the room.
Old 9th November 2019, 12:26 PM   #33
Bob001
Philosopher

Open evidence that the person was in the room.
You understand what "anonymous" means?
Old 9th November 2019, 12:27 PM   #34
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
You understand what "anonymous" means?
And anonymous assertions are unacceptable.
Old 9th November 2019, 02:51 PM   #35
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Thread successfully bobbed .
Old 9th November 2019, 02:54 PM   #36
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Thread successfully bobbed .
He himself said anonymous assertions are unacceptable. Since we don't know who Bob actually is we must therefore disregard everything he says.
Old 9th November 2019, 03:01 PM   #37
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
They didn't say it was true. They said they confirmed the author's role as a senior member of the Trump Administration.
Old 9th November 2019, 03:20 PM   #38
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

He himself said anonymous assertions are unacceptable. Since we don't know who Bob actually is we must therefore disregard everything he says.
This is why I rarely make claims of fact.
Old 9th November 2019, 03:40 PM   #39
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

This is why I rarely make claims of fact.
I fear I must disregard whatever it is you just said, anonymous stranger!
Old 9th November 2019, 03:40 PM   #40
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I fear I must disregard whatever it is you just said, anonymous stranger!
You should.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics