ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF » Million Dollar Challenge » Challenge Applications

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags timed out , telekinesis , mdc , peter hubinksy , challenge application

Old 21st September 2005, 06:49 AM   #1
KRAMER
Former challenge facilitator

PETER HUBINKSY, I WALK THE LINE

Received August 23, 2005.

Hello,

I am interested in taking up the Paranormal Challenge. I have conducted Double-Blind studies, and I have read, and agree to, all the rules. I have enclosed the signature/notarized document you requested. I ask that the tests be performed in Rochester, N.Y., my hometown. There is an area behind a mall near some railroad tracks that I have used to conduct my experiments. My talent is as follows:

I have found that my presence creates telekinetic/teleportation phenomenon which rearranges and/or teleports random objects in open and closed spaces. Random telekinetically and teleported objects appear in spaces where there are loose debris such as small stones, bits of plastic, metal, glass, leaves, paperclips, etc.
These objects appear at random and seemingly from nowhere. Under testing conditions, a short walk from 5 seconds to 20 minutes will produce anywhere from 1 or 2 to several dozen or more objects to appear by themselves. The results are plain to see and obviously appear by themselves, in various random arrangements. I will these phenomenon into being, and/or they happen because of my physical presence alone, therefor I claim to have these powers. I don't claim to further teleport or otherwise telepathically manipulate these random objects after they appear.

I ask that I be able to have my manager/assistant, Liz Davenport, videotape both the preliminary, and final test.

I ask that both preliminary and final test be performed here in Rochester, at my chosen location because I get my best results there, and I also am most comfortable there. The tests will be able to be perceived by the naked eye, with a simple direction to have the representative look extremely closely, and report what they observe so we can both concur the validity of my claims.

With proper notice, and in a timely manner, I will provide transportation meal and lodging here in Rochester for the agent selected by you for the preliminary test.

If the agent is satisfied I can do what I claim, then I would like the final test performed in a timely manner, with transportation food and ldoging for two agents for up to two days.

I don't have a lot of money but I am confident noone will be disappointed at either test. (I don't plan on being embarrassed. I have practiced ALOT).

The site I have chosen may be inspected before, during, and after the tests to insure that no flim-flam or hoaxing is involved.

I look forward to a reply asap so we can schedule the preliminary test. I wish to do this all within one month of reciept of this letter, both tests, if this can be arranged. Thank you.

Respectfully Submitted,
Peter J. Hubinsky

p.s. You are invited to us any recording equipment at both tests. Use of this record we can discuss, but I am amenable to your using these records at your discretion, amenablly, with an appropriate motive, at any time, without further compensation to myself.
Old 21st September 2005, 07:32 AM   #2
KRAMER

I must confess that I allowed this claim to sit on my desk for 2 weeks before I received the following email:

Dear Sir(s) or Madame,

I am writing you as to find out about the status of my application for the paranormal challenge. I sent in the signed, notarized application about a month and a half ago. I have as yet heard no reply. I did include a SASE with two 37 cent stamps affixed. I would like to know if it was received, the status of it if it was received, and also I would like an estimate of costs for the preliminary test if it were held here in my hometown of Rochester, NY. I included some details of how I would like to see the test performed, and they are pretty simple. I just need an open space such as a sidewalk or parking lot and an observer who has a good eye and is willing to follow simple directions. The results I acheive are self-evident and contain no room for doubt or error, which is in line with the rules, which I have read carefully. I have performed extensive tests of my own and I can perform at any given time, I just require that the tests be performed on a day with no snow, rain, and little or no wind. If neccessary, I could also perform them indoors, but prefer open spaces as I get my best results there, although all I require is a small amount of space to acheive any result, anywhere at any time. I don't plan on becoming embarrassed and I would like to assure you that you are not wasting your time, in my case. I have pursued my talent and honed it. I have performed double-blind procedures and other control factors during many of my tests. Please respond to an email address that I have set up for this challenge which is as follows:
telekinetics@hot-shot.com
Thank you, Peter J. Hubinsky

==============================================

Dear Peter,

Your application was received and we were just about to respond when we received this email. I apologize for the delay.

Firstly, your request to have the test conducted "within a month" is impossible to grant, as we have yet to accept your application.

Please read the Challenge FAQ on our website, which clearly states that it can take several months before we can mutually arrive at a place where we can schedule a test. Also, please refrain from any discussion about the final test, which will only be addressed if you pass the preliminary. There is much to do before your application can be accepted.

To simplify your claim letter, it seems that you are stating that you can walk down a railroad track and "objects and loose debris telekinetically appear" (or are "teleported") in your presence.

You also claim that you have tested this phenomenon under Double-Blind conditions. Please describe this Double-Blind you have conducted, in as much detail as possible.

Claims of this nature require further evidence before we can devote the time and manpower required to investigate it properly.

What we will need from you now, before we can proceed (and before we can accept your application) is 3 notarized affidavits from 3 individuals who have experiencded this phenomenon and have no rational explanation for it. These 3 individuals cannot be family members, or your manager/assistant Liz Davenport, or personal friends. They must come from 3 impartial individuals who work in professional fields, such as teachers, doctors, lawyers, psychologists, library or postal workers, town officials, police, etc.

Our goal in this is to ascertain that the phenomenon you believe you are experiencing is observable to others, and not just to yourself.

In conclusion, please tell us if you are stating that a video tape of the proceedings will show objects appearing where there were none before.

Your claim letter states that these small objects include small stones, bits of plastic, leaves, metal, glass, paperclips, and other items which one would normally find scattered beside a railroad track. This is why we must have three affidavits from persons who have witnessed these objects appearing from thin air, supporting your assertion that they did so, and were not actually already there prior to your appearance. I look forward to your reply.

Please direct all further correspondence to me, at this email address.
Old 4th October 2005, 08:25 AM   #3
KRAMER

From Peter

Dear Kramer,
Thank you for responding to my email. I didn't mean to be presumptious in scheduling the preliminary test, and speaking about a final test. I guess I was just a little too excited. I have not made any video footage as yet of my telekinetic talents, and I don't even own a camcorder !!!! I do have a friend who has a camcorder though, and he wants to sell it to me. I apologize again for speaking of getting things done within the timeframe I initially spoke of, I forgot that with something of this nature, protocols and patience in all matters must be observed ( again, I think I got a little too excited ). I believe I can perform my ablitities in any given place really, at any given time. I basically need to walk down a paved surface, such as a road or parking lot or sidewalk, and I can perform. I could do it here in Rochester, or I could do it there in Florida, if you prefer. I stated I beleive, that the area I spoke of was NEAR a railroad track, not on one, though it doesn't really matter. Open spaces of any kind, and even in closed environments produce results, although the number and type of objects increase in outdoor environments. I will need a few weeks to find the three individuals to perform tests with, and have them sign notarized affadavits, which I will have to consult my lawyer about creating.

I will keep you posted as to when and who, and then when I am done, I will email you just prior to sending out a registered letter containing those documents. If you would like video footage, I'll ask my friend If I can borrow the camcorder to record some tests.

I am not sure the quality of the camcorder, alhtough I think it would be sufficient. I will keep you posted, and I will try to get all this done within a calendar month from today, the 22cnd of September, that is, by October 22cnd. Please email me at any rate, and let me know if you would like video footage. I will provide it if you would like it. Also, it would be okay with me if, when the preliminary test is scheduled, if it were done in Florida. I've never
been to Florida, and it would be a cool vacation !!!!! Also, it would probably keep my expenses down, and I am only a working freelance writer, just starting my business in the last six months, and I'm not wealthy ( yet anyway, I have my eye on an ebook deal that could change things ... LOL ). So, thank you for being patient with me and taking my application seriously, just as I take this challenge very seriously.

Respectfully,

Peter J. Hubinsky

Last edited by KRAMER; 28th November 2005 at 11:46 AM.
KRAMER is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2005, 08:26 AM   #4
KRAMER

From Kramer to Peter...

Hello Peter,

Thank you for your reply. I am still anxious to hear about the Double-Blind tests you refer to in your claim letter. Please describe them for me in detail.

Regarding the video tape, we do not request any video from you. We video tape the actual preliminary test, but we do not accept video evidence prior to testing.

Regarding the affidavits, we are not requesting that you conduct "tests" with those you intend to help you to provide affidavits. We only request that you demonstrate your ability for them, and then have them write statements in which they confirm your claim. Remember, the affidavits must be notarized.

You state that you "believe" you can demonstrate this phenomenon at any given place, and at any given time. Have you tested this belief? It's best to be as sure as possible about you can and cannot do, prior to submitting your claim to the test, Peter. Many applicants have suffered extreme embarrassment at the test, if they neglected to test their claims first.

You also state that you can "walk down a paved road" and demontrate your claim. When you do this, do you first examine the area carefully for objects before you walk and look for them? Have you considered the possibility that these objects were there prior to your arrival, and independent of any power you may believe yourself to be in possession of?

Most importantly, we would very much like to know about the Double-Blind tests you conducted on yourself. Please tell us as much as you can about this.

I look forward to your reply.
Old 31st October 2005, 11:23 AM   #5
KRAMER

Dear Mr. Hubinsky,

I received no response to my most recent email to you, sent on 9-22-2005.

It has been over 30 days since we last heard from you regarding your claim. Do you intend to withdraw your application?

We generally close files if correspondence with the applicant ceases. Please advise.
Old 10th November 2005, 09:34 AM   #6
KRAMER

From Peter Hubinsky

Dear Kramer,

Hello, and thanks for the email.

My family and I have just undergone the great loss of my grandfather.

I apologize for not getting in contact sooner. I am still looking around for three professionals to do affidavits with. I wanted to know exactly what the affadvit may look like or contain. I do know some people , through one or another, that may qualify.

I wanted also to say that I apologized if I sounded cocky.

I am writing up a short synopsis of my study methods of the phenomenon I encounter, I will include this the next time I write. I anticipate making some sort of party type encounter with a few professionals, This isn't the easiest thing and skeptics abound, so, I am planning hopefully to have all done before the first of the year, in these regards. I have high hopes I will perform as promised, and I wanted to also clarify whatever conditions JREF may have, and what my claims specifally are, so there are no misperceptions.

Thanks,

-Peter J. Hubinsky

================================================== =====

Dear Peter,

My deepest condolences on the loss of your grandfather.

Regarding your affidavits, skeptics are precisely the kind of people
you want to observe this phenomenon. If you cannot demonstrate your
claim in front of such people, it may prove impossible to do so before a
team of qualified paranormal investigators. Wouldn't you agree?
The affidavit can be as brief as a single sentence, such as...

"I have seen Mr. Hubinsky's JREF Paranormal Challenge claim letter,
and I have personally witnessed the phenomenon in question, and I am
not able to offer any rational explanation for it."

Remember, the affidavits must be signed and notarized by their authors.

Regarding your intent to "clarify" your claim, I think we understand it
quite clearly, so there is no need to do so unless you are altering it.

Last edited by KRAMER; 10th November 2005 at 01:11 PM.
KRAMER is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2005, 10:30 AM   #7
KRAMER

Dear Kramer,
Hi, it's Pete Hubinsky again. I'm back in action. I am trying to arrange a demo for your three witnesses. I will have to do it soon, if its going to be here in rochester, as soon snow and rain will mar any test. Wind will also obscure and convolute any test. I'll set it up, two problems though,

1--- the professionals I know are all friends and

2 --- generating interest from professionals I don't know can be a little tricky. Rochester NY is generally a pretty conservative city. They may think me a little eccentric if I don't do something a little on the side of the status quo. Some may already think me a little idiosyncratic, but I have roots here in both family and friend. It really is a nice small city, alot of history here.

I want to throw a lunch and invite some people through an ad in the paper, have them a demonstration and arrange for the affadavit soon after. Hopefully I can get this done within a week or two.

I am not worried about a skeptic, its more who among professionals would be interested in this process. I guess I could just ask around, but I think my ad and lunch would be a good idea.

I'm sure youve gotten entries from all kinds of people. I don't think I would take it too hard if I didnt produce results, but thats why its a real challenge anyways.

The tests I have administered have been relatively simple, apart from recording and collecting many of the objects. One I used was to mark off areas and come upon them from different sides and angles after logging what was there in the first place. Another is to have a witness present when I would wait while they surveyed an area, then what appeared as I entered and walked around the area. I have taken some people by suprise, but mostly just my friends. Most of my friends arent interested in the scientific implications of such phenomenon. Besides the challenges monetary value, the proof in terms of observed, recorded history of this phenomenon is what my goal is. To ask a question rhetorically, if one believed they had witenssed these types of things, wouldn't one want some type of recognition as to its legitimacy, and part of the record of human affairs ?

I do, and that's why I entered your challenge. If I do win perhaps, then the door would be open for a new page of science to exist. For a layman, that's pretty signifigant. I do have goals in higher education, I am after an eventual PHD in Philosophy, but that will take years yet.

Anyways, I hope this letter finds you well, and tells you some more about me, and those tests too. If you want more info, I'll look in my notes to see what other specifics I can give you.

Please give me until the end of the month to arrange the demo for those three professionals, I'm sure I can get it done. I want to clear the way to the prelim, for me and this endeavor, thats the make or break point as to this challenge. I really do appreciate you taking time to write and set yourself to the details, I hope we get to meet sometime.

Thanks.

Sincerely, Peter J. Hubinsky

================================================== =======

Hello Peter,

I strongly suggest you try to get at least one medical professional as a witness. Such an individual would be most capable of seeing what others might not. Good Luck.
Old 28th November 2005, 11:09 AM   #8
KRAMER

Dear Kramer,

Hope your not too stuffed with turkey to make it in the office ... lol. It's Peter Hubinsky again, the guy from Rochester who entered you paranormal challenge. Ok, her's the latest on my progress. You asked for 3 professional observers who would sign affadavits as to my challenge entry. I have secured one for sure, a lawyer, and my assistant, Liz Davenport, who works at a bank, has asked a higher up, who is attempting to get a second, a vice president of the branch, to be witnesses.

I am asking someone I went to high school with, but wasn't friends with, who is a psyche tech at a local hospital to be the third. He is a qualified medical professional, and although I don't really know him, I plan to ask him soon. Also, due to the conditions outside being snowy and frigid, I am going to attempt to make inside demonstrations. I am making a list of locations, maybe a mall, an inside parking garage, and an office building. I will set it up most likely for just after the holidays, the first week or two of January.

The lawyer involved will complete your required paperwork from his office, upon successful, favorable completion of the demonstrations. The lawyer's name is Gilbert Perez, and the hospital tech's name is David Spano. I don't know the bank vice president's name yet, and I am not sure if he will do the demonstration as of yet, but should know soon. I should know within a week, or two, if I have everyone I have indicated's cooperation. I will email you then with this information.

Hope you had a happy holiday ! I am bribing all the people with the cities' best Pizza, Two Paisans, home of the upside down pizza, a haunt of Jay leno, when he swings through !

We'll all get together at a location, do a guided walk, and then chow down. Later, i'll have them come down to fill out the papers at the lawyer's office, at their convenience.

That's my basic plan.

So, I hope to hear from you.

Thanks,

Peter Hubinsky

P.S. I went to yahoo.com, and went to the advanced search option, and under " any of these words " I typed " books that deal with personal embarrassment "; there I found approximately, get this, 1,590,000 sites ! I suppose I know where to go for help if I don't deliver as promised !!!! lol ... I must tell you sometimes I am a smartass, but that's part of the charm ... see you guys later .

================================================== ==========

Good Luck, Peter.

-Kramer, JREF

Last edited by KRAMER; 28th November 2005 at 11:45 AM.
Old 4th January 2006, 11:00 AM   #9
KRAMER

?

Hello Peter,

We have not heard from you in over 6 weeks, Peter. Please tell me how your end of the process is going. When we last corresponded, you said you were close to gathering 3 individuals together to witness a demonstration of your claim, as per the requirement for 3 notarized affidavits.

Please advise.
Old 7th June 2006, 08:13 AM   #10
Jeff Wagg
Illuminator

Received a note from Peter:

Quote:
Dear JREF, My name is Peter Hubinsky and I applied for the paranormal
challenge last summer/fall, around August. I had to take care of
some personal matters this last winter, and lost track of things
with the JREF.

I would like to know when I can resume the
challenge process or reapply. I had extensive communications
with an individual named Kramer.

I would like to talk to
someone about my challenge status, if possible. I am still
very ready and willing to pursue this challenge.

Thank You,
Peter Hubinsky

I replied:
Kramer is no longer with the JREF. My name is Jeff Wagg, and I can help you with your challenge application.

We can pick up where we left off.

When we last corresponded, you said you were close to gathering 3 individuals together to witness a demonstration of your claim, as per the requirement for 3 notarized affidavits. How is that coming?
Jeff Wagg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2006, 07:29 AM   #11
Jeff Wagg
Illuminator

Received this e-mail. Formatting was as you see it... not sure why. Also, because the {quote} feature was causing an error in the way VB was formatting the main forum page, I shall now put what the applicant says in blue, like the commentary.

Dear Jeff,
Hello, this is Peter Hubinsky again. I read your email,
and I have this to report:

I have made arrangements for one of the three demo observers to
witness my ability. This individual is a lawyer. I also was approached
by an individual online who is a software engineer who heard of my bid
at one of the JREF forums. I will email him ASAP to see if he's still
interested. I am going to have to search for a third professional, whom
Kramer suggested should be a medical professional. This may take a
couple weeks, and I want to be discreet concerning the demo, and the
tests when they come, providing they do. I have to get these participants and set up a demonstration when possible. It could take a month or a
little longer to get the demo done and the affadavits signed. I want to get
all three participants together to do the demo at once, if possible. I am in
school for website design, and plan to go to college online in August.
Regardless of the outcome of the challenge, I will be continuing with
school. I work part-time for a caterer. This is flexible, and I plan to be able
to pay for the preliminary test's expenses, I just hope it won't be too expensive.
My ability as I have claimed is the random appearance of objects, from pennies
and paperclips to pieces of paper and little bits of straw or other small objects. This
occurs invariably when I focus my intent to do so, and when I do not. Over the period
of a day, it happens any number of times, although I am usually busy and just make
mental notes of each object. There is a vast collective at work, I have seen many,
many examples of this " paranormal " phenomenon, and can get results along these
lines on any given day. I would like to tell you more, and will if you would like me to.
Lately, the floor in my living room has given me lots of examples. I am excited
about the challenge, although a little leery of the attention I might receive. That's why
I would like to have discretion throughout the testing process.
I am going to talk to some people about getting a medical professional to witness my
ability. In the meantime, I will email the software guy, I believe his name is Jeremy
Stein. I will also email my lawyer friend. I am hopefully going to have the demo the
second week in July, probably the second Saturday, tenatively. After the demo,
I'll just get everyone to go to the lawyer's office, and he can have the affadavits
made up, and have them notorized there. I hope these arrangements are suitable.
Please email me and tell me what you think.
Thanks,
Peter J. Hubinsky
Jeff Wagg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2006, 07:49 AM   #12
Jeff Wagg
Illuminator

E-mail between Peter and I:

OK Peter, this sounds fine. Good luck with your test.

As for expenses, it doesn't sound like there'll be any.

Jeff Wagg
JREF

peter hubinsky wrote:

Dear Jeff,
Pete Hubinsky here, tried to send email, not sure if it went
through. Plans are second saturday of July for three party
demonstration, papers sent to you third week. We can talk then
about the prelim test, was advised not to speak of final test. I am
sure and confident of phenomenon. Would like to know some
sort of ballpark figure I will need to pay for the prelim test and costs.
Please email me and let me know.
Thank you,
Peter J. Hubinsky

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF » Million Dollar Challenge » Challenge Applications