ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF » Million Dollar Challenge » Challenge Applications

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags timed out , telekinesis , mdc , ryan whisler , challenge application

Old 5th January 2006, 01:08 PM   #1
KRAMER
Former challenge facilitator

RYAN WHISLER, Yo-Yo Dowser

The 4th claim of 2006...re-submitted after I returned it to him in December for not having it notarized. He notarized it and sent it back to me.

Dear Mr. James Randi,

My name is Ryan Whisler. I am a 33 Yr. old student at Centralia College. I am studying 4 parts Anthropology and have a strong liking for Archaeology. After my recent archaeological finding and during the study of these finding I would like to involve myself in an educational program such as what you have started to be with other gifted people and work on my scientific research with the ancient artificats I find which are full of what would be called Paranormal Sciences. I am also looking for the right group to research with.

I am ready to do the test as soon as possible since I have to move out of my house and into a travel trailer.

I will demonstrate by holding a pendulum, Yo-Yo or any similar item given annd control its swinging movements by thought and commands. I will then let anyone hold the swinging item while holding my hand as I will control the swinging movement with no problem. And even use it to answer (Yes and No) questions by witnessing the direction the object moves toward while hovering over a piece of paper which has the answer options printed. Answers such as "Yes" or "No" or similar which the object paranormally moving by my influence will direct to.

I can do other tricks and would like to work on it with the right people. I just realized I could do it by accident when I found a book on dowsing. I never knew what it was and knew I could do that and more.

If I win the contest, I'll be happy to share some of my archaeological findin for scientific research in the paranormal with you. An unknown culture left plenty of notes written on stone behind which I find plenty of by dowsing with my Yo-Yo.

I left my father's phone number which you should also contact and leave any phone messages in case I have relocated. I will still be on or around Centralia, WA and attending college.

Hope to hear from you very soon.

Sincerely,

Ryan Whisler

================================================== ======

Dear Ryan,

Thanks for having your application notarized. That was the easy part. Now comes the tough part.

Firstly, the JREF Challenge is not a "contest", as there is no competition involved.

Secondly, we need you to focus on ONE ability. Please chose the ability you think you can most easily prove, and then offer us a ONE-SENTENCE description of that ability, along with a proposal for the test. Your proposal should ONLY provide the answers to the following questions:

1- HOW WILL YOU DEMONSTRATE YOUR ABILITY

2- UNDER WHAT CONDITIONS WILL THE DEMONSTRATION TAKE PLACE

3- WHAT IS YOUR PROPOSED DEGREE OF ACCURACY (in other words, what do you propose will constitute a successful demonstration)

Please do NOT tell us about any other "tricks" you can do, or about your "research", your theories regarding unknown cultures or notes behind stones, your trailer, or your search for the right group to conduct research with. We are ONLY interested in seeing a demonstration of your claim. ONE claim, ONE test.

But first, we must clearly understand exactly what your claim actually is, and how you propose to demonstrate it. Please address ONLY those issues when you respond, and please, keep it brief.

Also, please, before you respond, kindly review Rule #13 of the Challenge application, and be advised that this requirement will quite likely be implemented prior to our acceptance of your claim.

I look forward to your reply.

Last edited by KRAMER; 16th January 2006 at 11:33 AM.
KRAMER is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2006, 07:48 AM   #2
KRAMER

Dear Kramer,

I'm not able to reply on the forum still in regards to my Proposal. So I hope you get this message.

I Propose to hold a Yo-Yo by the string and make it swing into a semi-fast circle by use of telekinesis while my hand is steady.

1. I propose to accept a brand new store bought yo-yo given to me by your observer (still unwrapped and the average size of a baseball). I will open the wrapper and demonstrate stated proposal.

2. The conditions of the demonstration will take place at any motel or hotel of the observer's choice in Centralia, WA 98531. The historic "Olympic Club"
on Tower Ave. would be best.

3. A successfull demonstration will be that you are there and you watch me perform the proposed with 100% accuracy and that you are 100% sure my stated ability is very real.

Sincerely,

Ryan Whisler

Hello Ryan,

Do NOT reply to me in the forums under any circumstances. We do not conduct Challenge negotiations in the forum. The forum is not connected to these negotiations. You may join the forum and discuss your application and claim with forum members if you wish to, but please be advised that the application process takes place between the applicant and the Challenge desk, and NOT within the JREF forums. I would also suggest that you read the Challenge FAQ carefully, and then have close a look at some forum threads in which Challenge applicants chose to enter into a debate with forum members, before you make your decision about whether or not to discuss your claim there. The choice is entirely yours.

And now, on to your test protocol proposal. We believe that the test you have proposed would prove nothing unless you would agree to NOT hold the yo-yo string. If the test were to take place in a secure room (devoid of air currents) in which the yo-yo was suspended on a stationary stand, and you were able to cause it to swing, (even very slowly) and do so several times, you would certainly pass the preliminary test. Holding the yo-yo string would allow the Ideo-Motor Reflex to come into play.

To put it simply, Ryan, the ideo-motor reflex is the same thing that makes dowsers believe that they are actually divining. Although you BELIEVE that you are not influencing the movement of the yo-yo, you actually ARE, though you are entirely unconscious of it. The only way to prove that you are not physically influencing the yo-yo, would be for you to NOT hold the yo-yo string.

Are you willing to submit your claim to such a test? I look forward to your reply.

-Kramer, JREF
Old 16th January 2006, 12:53 PM   #3
KRAMER

I'll be happy to do that. Holding the Yo-Yo by the string is easier to do and moves more violently and much faster. Being suspended without touching the string will need for me to lightly push it once and influence it's swinging movements by thought or speech.

Don't worry, you'll be very convinced. I just learned this and I'm getting better at it.

Ryan Whisler

================================================== =====

Hello Ryan,

Thanks for your reply. By "thought or speech" I am assuming you mean that you may offer some verbal commands during your demonstration. If this is correct, we have no problem with this.

We neglected to discuss some other points regarding your claim, which is really comprised of several claims.

Let's try to focus on the one that is easiest for you to demonstrate. I suggest that we forget about the YES OR NO aspect of your claim involving the yoy-yo actually answering questions. A test involving such questions and answers is far more difficult to conduct (and more difficult to design a protocol for) than one wherein you simply demonstrate that you can succeed in altering the yo-yo's movement.

The first real problem is that yo-yo strings are wound, and they inherently twist in such a way that causes the yo-yo to change the direction of its spin all on its own. Hence, we cannot accept a test that involves a yo-yo's natural tendency to "spin".

However, we can easily test for pendulum-type movements, so long as the proper controls are in place.

Can you cause a yo-yo that is swinging laterally from east to west begin swinging from north to south, and then remain so? Please be precise about what kind of result your psychic influence will have on the yo-yo. We are unclear about what you will actually make the yo-yo do.

Can you cause it to begin to swing again after it has stopped? If you can, this would clearly constitute a successful demonstration, as well as drawing the concerted attention of the world's most prominent physicists.

The test Randi prefers for such claims would entail attaching 5 identical yo-yo's (numbered 1 thru 5) at 12" intervals to a hanging rod, which would then be "nudged" gently, in a manner that would cause all 5 yo-yo's to swing in precisely the same fashion. An observer would then randonly select one of the yo-yo's, and you would then demonstrate your claim by altering the movement of ONLY the selected yo-yo. A demonstration of this sort, should it be sucessful, would be VERY interesting, indeed.

We cannot envision a properly controlled test that would allow you yourself to touch any of the materials, and this of course includes the yo-yo. As I mentioned in my previous email, the Ideo-Motor Reflex is a well known factor in such proceedings, and we must agree to a test that prevents it from influencing the results.

I look forward to your reply.

-Kramer, JREF Paranormal Claims Dept.

Last edited by KRAMER; 16th January 2006 at 12:57 PM.
KRAMER is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2006, 01:15 PM   #4
KRAMER

My personal feelings today are concern:

According to Deja Allison D.D., P.h.d., telekinesis from her explanation is "quantum". Which I see as influencing time and other physics. It can be dangerous for me to make something move without first giving a small push and influence it's swinging pattern. I can do it with my hand much easier and can make it do a fast circle up high under my outstretched swinging arm for a good length of time. As for today I would rather give a push on the Yo-Yo first.

That is something you have the option to see even outside the proposed & agreed preliminary which will back-up this discovery (As well as other ability demonstration requests by your observer(s)).

I'll be practiceing and is not looking to waste mine or anyone' valuable time until this becomes a great challenge to be taken carefully with great concern.

Sincerely, Ryan Whisler

Last edited by KRAMER; 16th January 2006 at 01:19 PM.
Old 18th January 2006, 08:48 AM   #5
KRAMER

1. Can you cause a yo-yo that is swinging laterally from east to west then
begin swinging from north to south, and then remain so?

Answer: Yes. Very Well. Momentum has to be built up if slowing down by swinging in a later direction in order to change direction or circle.

2. However, we can easily test for pendulum-type movements, so long as
the proper controls are in place.

Answer: An agreed-on pendulum type piece will suffice. I would like to try some different types you may have. There's a difference with all types, but most will work.

My psychic influence moves pendulums by perhaps, "spirit electrical force".
Like many athletic tricks, after practiceing, it's easier after some sleep.

I can make it swing after it stops as long as there is some slight movement.
Getting the momentum is the key practice I have to work at normally to move higher and higher in order to change directions. I can keep an object swinging in a circle continuing also.

Jerry's multiple yo-yo test would be fun. I can do it.

Sincerely, Ryan Whisler
Old 18th January 2006, 08:51 AM   #6
KRAMER

Hello Ryan,

You make reference in this email to "Jerry's multiple yo-yo test." Who is "Jerry"?

Each of your emails have offered numerous claims. We need to focus on just one, and exclude the others.

I would also like to have an agreement with you that we will use a pendulum-type device, and NOT a yo-yo. Can we agree to that, at this point? Any piece of metal or wood suspended from a stationary stand will suffice.

Many of your statements in this email are either unclear or contradictory. Let's see if we can use this email to bring some clarification to our protocol negotiations. The first thing we need to do is to clarify your actual claim. You have made several. We cannot test multiple claims. We will only test ONE CLAIM. I strongly suggest that you choose the claim that is easiest for you to demonstrate.

You state that you can "make it swing after it stops, so long as there is some slight movement". This doesn't make sense. Let me put the question to you as plainly as possible:

ONCE THE PENDULUM HAS STOPPED, CAN YOU MAKE IT START AGAIN BY PARANORMAL MEANS? YES OR NO? If you answer this question by saying, "Yes, so long as there is some slight movement", we will be right back where we started. If you say that you can cause it to move again but you have to manually "nudge" it first, then you must understand that this is NOT PARANORMAL, and cannot be accepted for the JREF Paranormal Challenge.

Let us now try to see if we can agree to a simple test of one of your numerous claims. In this most recent email you made the following statement: "I can keep an object swinging in a circle continuing also."

We can test this claim very easily, but let's be entirely clear on this. If you are stating that by paranormal means you are able to cause a pendulum (which has been made to move in a circle and is suspended from a stationary stand) to continue to swing, and NOT stop, we can accept this claim for testing.

Can you do this? Is this what you are stating? If so, we have an agreement on your claim, and the test is simple. We can suspend a pendulum from a stand, and you can "nudge" it to cause it to move circularly. You would then focus your paranormal ability on keeping the pendulum swinging in a circle. If, after 30 minutes the pendulum is still swinging in a circle, this would constitute a successful demonstration.

Please understand that you would NOT be permitted to touch the pendulum after the initial "nudge". Let me be clear about this: once the pendulum has been set in motion, the only influence you would be using to keep it moving would be your paranormal abilities.

I look forward to your reply, and thanks for your continued interest.

-Kramer, JREF
Old 19th January 2006, 09:17 AM   #7
KRAMER

I get James and Jerry confused sometimes.

Let me tell you this once. I CAN MAKE OBJECTS MOVE PARANORMALLY!!!

Hang something on a stand, I will nudge it to circle and I will control the swinging movements. Thirty minutes is too long. 10-15 minutes is fine.

Something swinging in my hand is easy and you will see that also.

Also, try it yourself before you see me do it.

I'll be back to you when I have more time and hopefully we won't be flooded here.

Ryan Whisler

Dear Ryan,

Again you are not being clear about your terms. You state that you will "control the swinging movement". HOW will you control it? What evidence of this "control" will the observer witness? Will you make it stop swinging before the laws of physics dictate it would stop on its own? Will you make it swing for a LONGER period of time than the laws of phsyics would dictate?

A pendulum will still be swinging on its own after only 10-15 minutes. You need to do better than that to prove your claim.

At 30 minutes, a small pendulum will have stopped on its own without further physical influence. If you can keep it going for that long, or keep the size of the swing from decreasing over time, this would be contrary to the laws of physics, and as such, would most certainly constitute a successful demonstration.

Please understand that your demonstration must be conclusive in order for you to pass from applicant status to claimant status. Your demonstration must defy the laws of physics in order to be deemed "paranormal".

In order to help you to understand this, and to better comprehend what is required as evidence of your claim, please conduct the following uncontrolled self-test before responding to this email:

Set two identical pendulums (on unwound strings of identical length) onto two stationary stands, 10" apart from each other. With a 12" ruler, nudge both pendulums simultaneously so that they are both swinging identically. Then, use a deck of cards to select which pendulum you will try to influence - simply select a card from within the deck. A red card for the left pendulum, or a black card for the one on the right (or vise versa...the choice is yours).

Then, using nothing but your paranormal ability (and without touching or "nudging" the pendulum), keep the chosen pendulum swinging for a significantly longer period of time than the other. If you succeed in causing the chosen pendulum to swing for 10 minutes after the other one has stopped, get back to us, and we will continue our protocol negotiations.

Please also be advised (as per rule #13 of the Challenge) that the JREF may require three notarized affidavits signed by persons who have witnessed this phenomenon before we can accept this claim for testing.

Good luck with the deluge.

-Kramer, JREF

Last edited by KRAMER; 19th January 2006 at 09:21 AM.
Old 31st January 2006, 08:43 AM   #8
KRAMER

Dear Kramer,

I've done some tests and is in the middle of practiceing more. The difficult part is, both pendelums begin swinging in different directions from my presence alone. I can focus on one, but the other will be under my influence as well.

They both eventually stop at the same time. I can focus on one and make it swing noth, south, east, west in a figure eight pattern very rapidly, especially if it's only one pendulum alone.

When I add extra pendelums, my presence makes them all swing in all different directions as if they have a magnetic field around them. I can command one of several to change direction by voice commands.

I should be able to get one pendulum to stop and keep the other continueing with more practice, but it's more difficult if the pendulum's are near each other since they seem to magnetically influence the others swinging.

This is the results so far. Will keep practiceing.

-Ryan

Dear Ryan,

You do that.

-Kramer, JREF Paranormal Claims Dept.
Old 8th February 2006, 08:03 AM   #9
KRAMER

Yo-Yo's & Potatoes

Dear Kramer, attached is a media video I just took with three potatoes of same size and weight 10" apart. Not the best video, but you can see the video color contrast changes as the forces I influence the pendulums with is quite interesting. I can now make them move even when still now. I figured it out last night by using the pendulums as "voltage meters" from Kinetic energy from myself. I based on a triangular energy theory where I imagined I was part of the design which results in movements by the pendulums as voltage meters which cause their kinetic movements.
So this would be telekinesis based on a kinetic energy theory. When I cause the pendulums to move themselves, my eye sight changes like it never has and the lights in the house flicker. I'll come up with better film footage for you with my digital camera as I go on. But I want to give you the evidence you need and this is only a grain of my knowledge. Let's do this preliminary very soon please. I would like to even do the test James Randi proposed with six pendulums or even more. I can choose and moving object and change it's movements.
enjoy the video I made and I will make another. -Ryan

P.S. I tried to attach the digital video footage of my demonstration of poof by this e-mail, but this system doesn't allow more than 10Mb of video by your choice of real player or Windows media to view.

Hello Ryan,

Potatoes? We'd like to see this, in person. Seeing a videotape is not acceptable.

OK, Ryan. Please send us three notarized affidavits from persons who have personally witnessed you making potatoes move by paranormal means (without you physically touching them in any way). We don't want to see videos. We want to see an actual demonstration, and in order to test your claim, we first need the three aforementioned affidavits. Please refer to the Challenge FAQ # 4.8 (http://www.randi.org/research/faq.html#4.8) at our website for more information on what type of affidavits would be accepted.

-Kramer

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF » Million Dollar Challenge » Challenge Applications