ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF » Million Dollar Challenge » Challenge Applications

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags rejected , mdc , cloudbusting , challenge application , adam hugo

Old 11th January 2006, 11:03 AM   #1
KRAMER
Former challenge facilitator

ADAM HUGO, "...Because Of My Presence"

The first of this applicant's claims arrived in the year 2000, as follows:

Dear Sir,

I would like to claim the million dollars in the challenge stated by the JREF. The abilities I can present, as evidence of, and being of, paranormal or supernatural capacity are:

a. Causing, because of my presence, a telepathic link between people or animals regardless of the location of any persons or animals involved. I can communicate to people or animals that are not present, but the perceiver can talk about what was communicated.

b. Changing the behavior, because of my presence, of, what would otherwise correctly operate machine. ie. nonphysically altering data while it is being processed.

c. In recorded media, because of my presence, specific information relating in nature to circumstances from me or from my environment, from where and when I chose to perceive the pre-recorded media, regardless of the relationship of time, in relation to when the media was recorded. ie. A recording from 1940, and/or a different recording from 1999 would make reference to the Rams winning the 2000 Super Bowl, because I had communicated this information to them.

d. I can chose to make a single cloud disappear at any location that I am present.

I can effortlessly prove paranormal phenomenon in any, or all, of the following demonstrations:

a. A person in a room where we are unable to communicate can perceive from me, that I am playing cards, or whatever I may be doing, at my location.

b. When I try to record sound waves using Sound Recorder on my computer I affect the amplitude of the sounds nophysically, although someone else would get normal results using the same computer.

c. Someone can record themselves on an audio tape and they would know at the time the tape was recorded what I would be doing a day into the future because I play back the tape.

d. When and where the environment is favorable with clouds someone can chose a cloud and I would make it disappear before their eyes.

Thank you for your time. I earnestly await your reply.

-Adam Hugo

This applicant's folder contains no evidence that the JREF offered any response to this application.

In February 2004 we received another claim and application from Mr. Hugo, to which Randi himself offered a reply...

Dear Sir,

I would like to challenge the JREF and compete in the One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge. My supernatural ability can be best summarized by the demonstration of cloud evaporation. At a specific location and a chosen time I will evaporate a cloud for you.

To demonstrate this ability a day must be chosen that is fairable of cumulus (small) clouds with light wind. Someone must choose which cloud will be caused to disappear. I will then evaporate the cloud with my mind.

Thank You,
Adam Hugo

================================================== ===

Randi's email reply:

I have your undated application here with no return address.

We no longer test "cloud-busting" claims. All clouds eventually evaporate, so there is no paranormal force at work here.

-James Randi
KRAMER is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF » Million Dollar Challenge » Challenge Applications