IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , bigfoot

Old 20th June 2017, 03:21 PM   #561
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

What kind of science exactly does DWA propose needs to be done in order for it to "move forward" and accept Bigfoot? This notion that "Bigfoot's out there if only the scientists would wake up" is almost singular proof it's all just one big BLAARG for him and he wants to be its Princess.

Firstly, his premise is flawed fundamentally. It makes no sense that "scientists and only scientists" can solve this one given the thousands of other animal species that were "discovered" by ancient man/civilizations without access to science or scientists in any way. Did those animals cease to exist until they had proper verification and DNA ID from an accredited institution say 4,000 years later? Or is he implying that all this so-called "evidence" is so scant (or non-existent?) that only a scientist has the necessary skills to have a chance seeing it? Putting aside for a moment all the stupidities that would have to be true for this scenario to even be possible, but if Bigfoot really were prancing in Oklahoma meadows right now, how and why would a "scientist" have dibs over anyone else in the discovery of such? Especially when it could probably be worth tens of millions of dollars? Why couldn't just a regular guy go out and kill it and grill it first? He could of course if it were real.

It's because "criticizing science for refusing to examine the non-existent evidence" is the actual role DWA plays in the BLAARG. There's no beast, there's no chase, and there's no evidence. There's only DWA attempting to create the persona of a tribal elder that only dispenses wisdom (miraculously without actually possessing any). He "knows" the truth so all those stupid scientists who don't listen to him are just losers. He's so much smarter than they are because he said so. "Ever seen me on the BFF, I rail against stupid scientists who can't see what's right in front of their face. I'm so smart. I'm sure you've heard of me."

If he wasn't railing against science what else would he say, "which way did he go George, which way did he go"?
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2017, 05:54 PM   #562
dmaker
Graduate Poster

DWA seems to think that any average Joe can take a picture of bigfoot, see one, make plaster casts, etc. But only a scientist can provide proof.

erm, ok
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2017, 07:28 PM   #563
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by dmaker View Post
DWA seems to think that any average Joe can take a picture of bigfoot, see one, make plaster casts, etc. But only a scientist can provide proof.

erm, ok
These guys are all full of ****. They want MS Science to take the subject seriously, but they claim not to care if footie is ever confirmed. They claim to "know," but just not enough to show what they know. They hang around the subject for years and years, see absolutely no progress being made, yet still insist discovery is right around the corner.

And these are the reasonable ones.

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2017, 06:15 AM   #564
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

Wow....looks like BFF is imploding apparently most if not all mods have bailed. I guess people just got tired of dealing with DWA's ********.
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2017, 10:36 AM   #565
dmaker
Graduate Poster

He is trying to turn the place into The DWA Show.
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2017, 01:03 PM   #566
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

I'd say he's succeeded....what a **** show that place has become. Good grief I'd guess most people who've been banned haven't broken half the rules he has in one post.
It's quite astounding to watch and certainly entertaining.
Keep busting his balls!!!
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2017, 09:12 PM   #567
dmaker
Graduate Poster

I don't understand how bigfoot proponents can persist in not understanding a simple concept like falsifiability. I have tried again and again to make this simple point. If a claim can't be proven wrong, then it should be dismissed.

How hard is that to understand? It's like talking to a wall.

Last edited by dmaker; 22nd June 2017 at 09:15 PM.
Old 22nd June 2017, 09:38 PM   #568
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

I don't understand how bigfoot proponents can persist in not understanding a simple concept like falsifiability. I have tried again and again to make this simple point. If a claim can't be proven wrong, then it should be dismissed.

How hard is that to understand? It's like talking to a wall.
https://explorable.com/falsifiability
Quote:
Popper saw falsifiability as a black and white definition, that if a theory is falsifiable, it is scientific, and if not, then it is unscientific. Whilst most 'pure' sciences do adhere to this strict definition, pseudo-sciences may fall somewhere between the two extremes.
Cryptozoology is a pseudoscience, while zoology is not. Existence is demonstrable and bigfooters have done absolutely nothing to demonstrate their hypothesis. You cannot campfire story footie into existence, nor can you "psychoanalyze" an anecdote. No person is a human lie detector and no person can vouch for the veracity of another's personal experiential claim.

These people are very silly.

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2017, 06:33 PM   #569
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by DWA on BFF
I don't think, in truth, that sasquatch is really any more elsusive than any species we know about. I would bet that *far fewer* people see several animals we know about in the wild annually (lynx; marten; wolverine; cougar).
Not more elsusive. "I seen forty eight Bigfoots right here in Pennsylvania, but I ain't never seen me one lynx."
Old 23rd June 2017, 06:41 PM   #570
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Not more elsusive. "I seen forty eight Bigfoots right here in Pennsylvania, but I ain't never seen me one lynx."
He knows a lot about ansimals.

And scienceses.

WS

Last edited by Resume; 23rd June 2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 23rd June 2017, 06:52 PM   #571
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by John Bindernagel
Hello DWA, I've been watching you on the Bigfoot Forums. We are both scientists. I'm hoping that we can team up if you feel that you aren't too advanced for me. You are obviously the brains and I can pour the plaster. Do you have the time for field work?
Elsusive.
Old 23rd June 2017, 08:08 PM   #572
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The Pilgrims saw Bigfoot when they came to America but they didn't report it out of fear that they would be ridiculed and kicked out of England.
Old 24th June 2017, 06:54 AM   #573
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

The Pilgrims saw Bigfoot when they came to America but they didn't report it out of fear that they would be ridiculed and kicked out of England.
Terry: By golly, Jeff, over there! Look! It's a bloody Woodwose!

Jeff: Now now, leave it, Terry, we don't want the hassle, son. Remember what happened back in Shropshire?

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2017, 09:27 AM   #574
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The DWA Show.
He is now promoting Rupert Sheldrake. That makes sense because Sheldrake is a crank scientist who favors pseudoscience.

DWA claims to be a scientist but he shows no expertise in anything whatsoever. He is especially ignorant of animals, zoology and ecology. If it is true that he is a scientist, then I think that he is a Phlegmologist.
Old 24th June 2017, 11:31 AM   #575
dmaker
Graduate Poster

He's not a scientist. His claim to the title is because he practices real science, not like credentialed scientists who are more like technicians (except for his man crush on Bindernagel). This is all in his head, of course. He claims a past career working for the government. I'd guess he was probably custodial services.
Old 24th June 2017, 03:56 PM   #576
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Far-Fetched Fung-Flinger
If you were to take an expedition out to find me - say - in a territory two miles by two miles - you wouldn't find me - ever.
Aye, chiefly because no one would bother looking for you, Ace.

ETA: This is a stupid assertion on it's face. What's he gonna do when he has to eat, drink, piss or **** ? Two square miles is 320 acres and it would be a simple thing to stake those acres out with game-cams, motion detectors, and thermals; these, plus a good dog would find this genius in no time flat.

WS

Last edited by Resume; 24th June 2017 at 04:21 PM.
Old 24th June 2017, 05:30 PM   #577
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

He is now promoting Rupert Sheldrake. That makes sense because Sheldrake is a crank scientist who favors pseudoscience...
DWA's fandom notwithstanding, and to continue with Who's The Tallest Midget™, I'd bet a million dollars that Sheldrake's IQ is at least 15 points higher than Meldrum's. Even if it's totally bogus his 'morphic resonance' theory still has infinitely more possibility than either Bigfoot or a mid-tarsal break if for no other reason than it comes from a real three dimensional source.

Speaking of which, in spite of a recent allusion to Meldrum having above average intelligence through his attendance at a certain NY college, I'm still not buying the idea Meldrum is some "really smart guy". I didn't buy it from the beginning and still don't. And it surely didn't get better with the mid-tarsal break BS, quite the opposite. That's like one of those phony plot device theories they make up in movies.

Yes of course it takes a certain amount of several things just to make it through a PhD education, and I'm not claiming he's stupid as that would be stupid, but an easy case (slam dunk?) could be made that his having figured out a way to "game the system" with his PhD in hand was a no-brainer, a slam dunk, even a cinch. Charles Manson probably could have pulled that one off.

The fact The Don waited patiently until being tenured before really coming out as head Bigfoot douche virtually proves his nefarious intentions. Maybe even especially so given a real Bigfoot would be worth millions, far more than he'd ever earn in Room 234 in the BS [true story] Bldg. at ISU. That is if Bigfoot were real. But he knew it then as now there is no Bigfoot.

When we consider one's actions over their words, Meldrum is closer in spirit to Charles Manson than Albert Einstein. That is his crimes have victims. His Bigfoot shtick is (and always was) a phony act for cash way more than it's ever been real science for knowledge.
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2017, 01:15 AM   #578
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Aye, chiefly because no one would bother looking for you, Ace.

ETA: This is a stupid assertion on it's face. What's he gonna do when he has to eat, drink, piss or **** ? Two square miles is 320 acres and it would be a simple thing to stake those acres out with game-cams, motion detectors, and thermals; these, plus a good dog would find this genius in no time flat.
Why is it that dogs can't find Bigfoots?

Aside from the fact that Bigfoots don't exist, of course.

Bring Back the Yak! P.J. Denyer
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2017, 05:54 AM   #579
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Why is it that dogs can't find Bigfoots?

Aside from the fact that Bigfoots don't exist, of course.
Dogs are typically either sight hounds and/or scent hounds. They have to be trained on the sight/scent of the quarry sought...so it's kinda hard for dogs to track a social construct.
Old 25th June 2017, 10:28 AM   #580
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cervelo View Post
Dogs are typically either sight hounds and/or scent hounds. They have to be trained on the sight/scent of the quarry sought...so it's kinda hard for dogs to track a social construct.
Should be easy, then. Smells like ********.
Old 26th June 2017, 08:59 AM   #581
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
DWA's fandom notwithstanding, and to continue with Who's The Tallest Midget™, I'd bet a million dollars that Sheldrake's IQ is at least 15 points higher than Meldrum's. Even if it's totally bogus his 'morphic resonance' theory still has infinitely more possibility than either Bigfoot or a mid-tarsal break if for no other reason than it comes from a real three dimensional source.

Speaking of which, in spite of a recent allusion to Meldrum having above average intelligence through his attendance at a certain NY college, I'm still not buying the idea Meldrum is some "really smart guy". I didn't buy it from the beginning and still don't. And it surely didn't get better with the mid-tarsal break BS, quite the opposite. That's like one of those phony plot device theories they make up in movies.

Yes of course it takes a certain amount of several things just to make it through a PhD education, and I'm not claiming he's stupid as that would be stupid, but an easy case (slam dunk?) could be made that his having figured out a way to "game the system" with his PhD in hand was a no-brainer, a slam dunk, even a cinch. Charles Manson probably could have pulled that one off.

The fact The Don waited patiently until being tenured before really coming out as head Bigfoot douche virtually proves his nefarious intentions. Maybe even especially so given a real Bigfoot would be worth millions, far more than he'd ever earn in Room 234 in the BS [true story] Bldg. at ISU. That is if Bigfoot were real. But he knew it then as now there is no Bigfoot.

When we consider one's actions over their words, Meldrum is closer in spirit to Charles Manson than Albert Einstein. That is his crimes have victims. His Bigfoot shtick is (and always was) a phony act for cash way more than it's ever been real science for knowledge.
I'm pretty sure that Don Jeff doesn't believe in Bigfoot, so that at least makes him a lot more intelligent than many others in the field of BigNuttery.

But yeah, academical intelligence isn't the be-all and end-all of cleverness. I know a ton of people who're very well-educated, attended great schools and universities, yet they're lacking in any form of common-sense whatsoever and generally don't know their arse from their elbow.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2017, 04:28 PM   #582
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

http://bigfootforums.com/topic/56253...oots-2/?page=2
Originally Posted by OS
You can determine the truth of an alleged encounter through psychoanalysis and statistics. You can do it through tea leaves as well, and even get it right, but in that case it won't be logical.
Well, that settles it.

WS
Old 27th June 2017, 06:18 PM   #583
dmaker
Graduate Poster

I had to put him on ignore. I can no longer legitimize his theory by having a (on the surface) legitimate debate. I cannot look beyond the "Aliens Created Bigfoot" hat he is wearing. If this is seen as a win by..well whomever...I really don't care.
Old 28th June 2017, 06:10 AM   #584
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

I had to put him on ignore. I can no longer legitimize his theory by having a (on the surface) legitimate debate. I cannot look beyond the "Aliens Created Bigfoot" hat he is wearing. If this is seen as a win by..well whomever...I really don't care.
No doubt this will be edited by a mod due to him still being a member here, but OS is an obvious troll. There was a time when you could tell he was getting fed up with maintaining his position as a "believer," and he'd almost deliberately go out of his way to post the silliest things. He basically told me that he's never seen a Bigfoot, never looked for one, and had no intention to ever look for one. The guy is a few clowns short of the full circus.

Old 28th June 2017, 07:27 AM   #585
The Shrike
Philosopher

I posted this monstrosity to my Facebook timeline yesterday. Made it in about a minute and a half; I'd say 5 minutes tops if you factor in my hunting around for a good spot. I didn't bother with dermal ridges but I gave this thing one hell of a mid-tarsal ridge.

The location is a TNC natural area in the Albany, NY metro area; population 1.17 million. This spot is really popular with the yuppie dog-walking set in an upscale neighborhood where I have to suspend my bird song recordings every 20 minutes or so to avoid airplane and/or local fire station noise. Otherwise, it is lovely with lots of big, old trees, downed wood, etc. Very squatchy.

This has been fooling people. I'm not kidding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 8.18.07 AM.jpg (52.4 KB, 19 views)
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2017, 07:50 AM   #586
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
I posted this monstrosity to my Facebook timeline yesterday. Made it in about a minute and a half; I'd say 5 minutes tops if you factor in my hunting around for a good spot. I didn't bother with dermal ridges but I gave this thing one hell of a mid-tarsal ridge.

The location is a TNC natural area in the Albany, NY metro area; population 1.17 million. This spot is really popular with the yuppie dog-walking set in an upscale neighborhood where I have to suspend my bird song recordings every 20 minutes or so to avoid airplane and/or local fire station noise. Otherwise, it is lovely with lots of big, old trees, downed wood, etc. Very squatchy.

Good job

You should keep this up in your spare time and see if you can cause a fuss with local Footers. I'd love to see something like this being offered as evidence for Bigfoot.

Old 28th June 2017, 07:53 AM   #587
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

Awesome stuff Shrike and astounding that it fools anybody, but a great example of how easy it is to fool people.
Old 28th June 2017, 08:03 AM   #588
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I think it would be interesting to do a social study. Ask those who are "fooled".

Why are you not calling the police?

Why are you not documenting this footprint and reporting it on the Internet?
Old 28th June 2017, 08:05 AM   #589
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Awesome stuff Shrike and astounding that it fools anybody, but a great example of how easy it is to fool people.
Exactly, it's incredibly easy to fool people, and we see that each and every year. It's always been easy, and we need only look throughout history to see it. The issue is, when people want to believe in certain things, then they will, and there'll always be those who're ready to exploit that. People see and hear what they choose to.

Old 28th June 2017, 08:08 AM   #590
The Shrike
Philosopher

. . . a great example of how easy it is to fool people.
Imagine if I played the "I'm a PhD wildlife biologist" angle, lied about the location, etc.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2017, 08:22 AM   #591
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

Imagine if I played the "I'm a PhD wildlife biologist" angle, lied about the location, etc.
Remember Elbe!!!!
It's astoundingly easy to fool the "experts". I'd have no problem at all watching the idiots at BFF make fools of themselves again.
My only issue with Elbe was what should have happened was a complete documentation of how it was done and then present that to the public after DWA and the morons at BFF had bought into it as more "evidence".

I still can't get over the fact that Meldumby thinks this was made be a living foot
Old 28th June 2017, 09:59 AM   #592
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Bigfooters don't even understand how insurance works.

http://bigfootforums.com/topic/56089...pdate/?page=14

Quote:
They had purchased a Lloyds of London policy to cover the 10 million prize. I got the impression that if they got worried about someone being successful, they simply changed the venue. Throw people from all over the country into unknown locations but do not give them time to get the lay of the land and you are pretty much assured that no one will succeed. The producers would be the big loosers if they had to pay out the 10 million. The show would have been a financial disaster for them. Disotell was being paid to be there by the producers.
The premium had been negotiated and paid before the series even began shooting,

WS
Old 28th June 2017, 10:02 AM   #593
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Quote:
big loosers
Pants are too big.
Old 28th June 2017, 11:06 AM   #594
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Things are really getting dumb over there. They still don't understand the concept of falsification of hypotheses, biology vs theoretical physics, a basic idea of how TV productons operate, or even how insurance works, for crissakes.

WS
Old 29th June 2017, 06:02 AM   #595
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

Looks like The DWA Show is "inactive" for awhile.
Is that what they use for banned now?
Old 29th June 2017, 06:18 AM   #596
dmaker
Graduate Poster

I've no idea. Usually when he goes silent, it's due to a mod induced vacation. I know Gigantor asked to him to chill a bit with the necro nonsense.
Old 29th June 2017, 06:20 AM   #597
dmaker
Graduate Poster

I'm really enjoying the posts by Starling, a recently new member, I think.
Old 29th June 2017, 06:40 AM   #598
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

I'm really enjoying the posts by Starling, a recently new member, I think.
Heck ya.....he certainly seems to have handed FarArcher his own ass a couple of times LMAO!
Old 29th June 2017, 09:00 AM   #599
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Administrator on BFF
This thing is 6 feet high seated on its rear and smaller creatures can take my truck apart like a pop can.
The sitting height is six feet. That's what, like a 12 footer seated there in the middle of the road?

Does he tell this story to people in real life, or is it a yarn restricted to the anonymous internet?
Old 29th June 2017, 09:25 AM   #600
dmaker
Graduate Poster

I wonder. Bigfoot can't be photographed because it is so elusive says Uncle Cleetus. I had to drive around one sitting in the middle of the road says another in the same thread. The absolute hilarity of such conflicting statements escapes all.

But Uncle Cleetus assures everyone that my opinion does not matter because I have never wrestled a bear. That and my small hands probably.

Last edited by dmaker; 29th June 2017 at 09:26 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal