IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , bigfoot

Old 14th September 2017, 07:16 AM   #801
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Lootie?
With Gimlin as the Blowfish?

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2017, 08:22 AM   #802
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squatchy McSquatch View Post
This calls for a rendering from Drew.

Please and thank you.
I don't know, drawing a Bigfoot looting something, could be construed as having another message, and I don't want to deal with it.

Although as an artist I should push the limits...
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2017, 08:47 AM   #803
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
I don't know, drawing a Bigfoot looting something, could be construed as having another message, and I don't want to deal with it.

Sasqploitation?

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2017, 09:07 AM   #804
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Put a MAGA cap on him.

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2017, 12:32 PM   #805
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Yeah, you might get hammered on that. I was thinking Lootie the Footie, but then remembered the Lootie meme. Maybe a MAGA cap as LTC8K6 suggested might work, but you never know 'round this neck o' the woods.

WS
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2017, 02:03 PM   #806
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Think about a Skunk Ape and a can of beans and a screwdriver.
Old 15th September 2017, 05:35 AM   #807
Drewbot
Philosopher

We know Bigfoots are looters.

Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 07:12 AM   #808
Squatchy McSquatch
Thinker

Good to know that NathanFooter is still alive. I was worried about that kid. He went off on a bigfoot excursion and dropped off the scene.
Squatchy McSquatch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 08:37 AM   #809
Drewbot
Philosopher

Well that's from Feb. 2016
Old 15th September 2017, 09:04 AM   #810
Squatchy McSquatch
Thinker

2016? Poor kid's a goner.

Unless he went back to preschool homeschool
Squatchy McSquatch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 09:47 AM   #811
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

I love that he's the best young Bigfooter, as though that implies some sort of good success rate with locating Bigfoots.

It's like claiming a guy to be the "best young chef" despite him never having made a single meal in his life.

Cliff, sit down, you're drunk!

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 10:45 AM   #812
Squatchy McSquatch
Thinker

Best old footer would have to go to Bob Gimlin.

50 years later and he's still lying about it.

Still earning money and adulation at bigfoot conferences.

Still lying to the very people he helped create.

That's a long-term grift right there.
Old 15th September 2017, 10:49 AM   #813
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Best old footer would have to go to Bob Gimlin.

50 years later and he's still lying about it.

Still earning money and adulation at bigfoot conferences.

Still lying to the very people he helped create.

That's a long-term grift right there.
It's hard to blame him, tbh. If people are still willing to turn up in their droves to hear one of several new detailed versions of his timeless classic, then that's on them. The Gimlinator is just picking up cheques.

He's the Status Quo of Bigfoot tours, playing around the country, non-stop, and getting paid for that one well-known hit.

Old 15th September 2017, 11:09 AM   #814
Squatchy McSquatch
Thinker

The same could be said for evangelists, faith healers and homeopaths and vegans.

Spreading disinformation is just that.
Old 15th September 2017, 06:50 PM   #815
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Skunk Lootie. He's got your can of beans and your favorite screwdriver and he smells like hell. Aw hell, you don't even want those things back because they'll smell like hell.
Old 15th September 2017, 06:56 PM   #816
Squatchy McSquatch
Thinker

Does anyone have the link to the Meldrum gait vid where the mime does the Pattywalk and DonJeffy denies it?

It would help win a bar bet
Old 16th September 2017, 03:08 AM   #817
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Does anyone have the link to the Meldrum gait vid where the mime does the Pattywalk and DonJeffy denies it?

I can't remember Meldrum denying it, if we're talking about the same video. IIRC, Meldrum admits that he was surprised how easy "aspects" of the walk were to replicate, and by "aspects", it can be concluded that he actually means "the whole 9 yards."

I can't for the life of me remember what the video is called, tbh. It was on some **** little Discovery show, though.

Old 18th September 2017, 04:45 AM   #818
Drewbot
Philosopher

I cant find the original, but it is Best Evidence, and he is at the Stanford gait lab or something like that.

Here is the Thinker Thunker Recap, where he tries to debunk the lab's work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nPMZEZsFlM
Old 18th September 2017, 12:21 PM   #819
Castro
Muse

I cant find the original, but it is Best Evidence, and he is at the Stanford gait lab or something like that.

Here is the Thinker Thunker Recap, where he tries to debunk the lab's work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nPMZEZsFlM
Here is the original:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Castro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2017, 12:27 PM   #820
carlitos
"más divertido"

Wow, I had to google "lootie" -- I learn something new here every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2017, 06:21 PM   #821
jerrywayne
Graduate Poster

Loren Coleman's comments on the passing of Philip Morris:

http://www.cryptozoonews.com/morris-obit/
jerrywayne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2017, 09:36 PM   #822
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by jerrywayne View Post
Loren Coleman's comments on the passing of Philip Morris:

http://www.cryptozoonews.com/morris-obit/
Curiously, in this instance I don't really disagree with that twit Coleman. Not because Bigfoot lives, but because that's not the Morris suit in the PGF. I've not for a millisecond ever thought they were the same. Philip Morris was just a beneficiary of a little mistaken identity, confusion, and a whole lot of opportunity grabbing.

Personally being a (literally) lifelong creator/builder/producer of every kind of two and three dimensional "anything" you can imagine, I can say confidently that Roger Patterson definitely bought a Morris suit, but for one reason only. To take it apart and see how it was built so he could copy/mimic its construction using other materials etc. There's little doubt he had the confidence and not much more doubt that he had the ability. Ergo Bob H's confusion over the "tale of the two suits". He saw both at different times.

I mean, does anyone think Roger Patterson didn't see what we all see, the obvious phoniness in the Morris suit? Nobody would buy that's a real beast except in a fictional movie. He wanted it to be a nonfictional movie, so it had to be better. He didn't need to reinvent the wheel, just create it better. Seems to have worked.

Last edited by HarryHenderson; 26th September 2017 at 09:39 PM.
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 06:48 AM   #823
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

It's also entirely possible that Roger bought a suit from Morris and simply did not use that particular suit for the PGF.

Old 27th September 2017, 07:24 AM   #824
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Thanks for posting this, Jerry - but it should have been put in the PGF thread.

Patterson may have customized a Morris gorilla costume using various modifications.
Old 27th September 2017, 10:38 AM   #825
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
I mean, does anyone think Roger Patterson didn't see what we all see, the obvious phoniness in the Morris suit? Nobody would buy that's a real beast except in a fictional movie. He wanted it to be a nonfictional movie, so it had to be better. He didn't need to reinvent the wheel, just create it better. Seems to have worked.
Tbf, Roger fully expected the suit in the PGF to be mind-blowing, when it basically looks exactly like what it is; a suit.

I don't doubt that the people who are in awe of Patty would likely be in awe of Phil's suit had it been filmed in a similar manner. It's more about the film itself, how it was recorded, and the man who recorded it than it is about the costume.

The fact that Jeff Pruitt photo-shopped Patty onto a different background and the Footers said it looked fake is all the evidence needed to show how utterly non-believable Patty truly is, but if you stick it on a grainy-ass film, shot from a distance, for a mere handful of shaky seconds, it easily fools the nerds who want to be fooled.

I've always said, if you had Chewbacca in that film instead of Patty, the same knuckleheads who fell for the PGF would be making up future encounters using the Chewbacca formula, instead of saying it looked just like Patty, they'd be describing a shaggy looking Wookie.

Old 27th September 2017, 10:43 AM   #826
jerrywayne
Graduate Poster

Curiously, in this instance I don't really disagree with that twit Coleman. Not because Bigfoot lives, but because that's not the Morris suit in the PGF. I've not for a millisecond ever thought they were the same. Philip Morris was just a beneficiary of a little mistaken identity, confusion, and a whole lot of opportunity grabbing.

Personally being a (literally) lifelong creator/builder/producer of every kind of two and three dimensional "anything" you can imagine, I can say confidently that Roger Patterson definitely bought a Morris suit, but for one reason only. To take it apart and see how it was built so he could copy/mimic its construction using other materials etc. There's little doubt he had the confidence and not much more doubt that he had the ability. Ergo Bob H's confusion over the "tale of the two suits". He saw both at different times.

I agree. The only things that look like the Morris' costumes (of the time) to my eyes are the crested head, the shoulders (although hair trimmed) and perhaps the arms. No way the long legs and sasquatched feet, the breasts, and such, are Morris' creation.
jerrywayne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 11:01 AM   #827
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

IMO, it seems more likely that Roger used an already finished suit to build up from, as opposed to building one from scratch, which I'm not entirely sure he'd be able to pull off to the same extent. It'd make sense that he'd shop around and get hold of a few different suits and various parts to play with.

I'm not 100% sure that I believe a story about the suit sitting on display at Al's house. I don't doubt that it could still exist somewhere, but I'm more of the opinion that it was used again in various forms for different projects, maybe even on film. I think it was disassembled and reused. If it's sitting on display in Al's house, you'd expect that it'd be unveiled at some point.

Old 3rd October 2017, 03:28 PM   #828
Drewbot
Philosopher

Rick Dyer's partner in hoaxing, is now under arrest:

Justin Smeja formerly on 10 million Dollar Bigfoot Bounty , was arrested.

http://www.theunion.com/news/crime/j...nevada-county/
Old 3rd October 2017, 03:37 PM   #829
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

"There are some alleged games being played with those tags for hunting deer and beer," said Capt. Patrick Foy, with the law enforcement division of the California Department of Fish and Wildlife.
Old 3rd October 2017, 04:15 PM   #830
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Rick Dyer's partner in hoaxing, is now under arrest:

Justin Smeja formerly on 10 million Dollar Bigfoot Bounty , was arrested.

http://www.theunion.com/news/crime/j...nevada-county/
Hasn't he already been in trouble with the law before? I'm pretty sure he's had issues to do with hunting illegally, and some other things. He seems like a bit of a drunken little bastard.

Old 3rd October 2017, 08:35 PM   #831
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Quote:
...Smeja appeared on the television show "10 Million Dollar Bigfoot Bounty," in which teams competed in their attempts to prove the creature's existence. "I've shot and killed two of them," Smeja told a group on the TV show, a claim also made in a National Geographic video. "I've done everything I can do to try to prove that I'm telling the truth," Smeja later said when away from the group of hunters. "All I can do now is try to go get another one."
Imagine the luck. He kills two of them and (apparently) nobody gives a flying ****, but if he can do it just one more time they'll pay him $10 million dollars. And oh drats his time is up. Whatta we have for him instead? 10 days in county jail for "mishandling" bear tags.
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 03:45 PM   #832
rockinkt
Master Poster

Imagine the luck. He kills two of them and (apparently) nobody gives a flying ****, but if he can do it just one more time they'll pay him $10 million dollars. And oh drats his time is up. Whatta we have for him instead? 10 days in county jail for "mishandling" bear tags.

I thought Smeja cut down a cherry tree or something. Or was that Gimlin?
It's hard to keep these salt-of-the earth, Honest Abe types, straight.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2017, 04:10 PM   #833
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
IMO, it seems more likely that Roger used an already finished suit to build up from, as opposed to building one from scratch, which I'm not entirely sure he'd be able to pull off to the same extent. It'd make sense that he'd shop around and get hold of a few different suits and various parts to play with.

I'm not 100% sure that I believe a story about the suit sitting on display at Al's house. I don't doubt that it could still exist somewhere, but I'm more of the opinion that it was used again in various forms for different projects, maybe even on film. I think it was disassembled and reused. If it's sitting on display in Al's house, you'd expect that it'd be unveiled at some point.
Ta da!
Attached Images
File Type: gif buttcomp.gif (38.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 7th October 2017, 07:40 AM   #834
barehl
Master Poster

I assume that the posts in bigfootforum are typical of bigfoot enthusiasts. I looked over the thread where someone asks how many have actually seen a bigfoot. I found three interesting.

One person says that he has never seen a bigfoot but thinks the PG film is real. If you didn't do any research and didn't notice the flaws in the film then this could have been a reasonable position, say, ten years after it was made. But the time that has passed without another film reduces this to non-evidence. The other problem is that almost everyone today has a cell phone which is capable of pictures, video, and sound. And many can read out GPS coordinates so that a location could be found again even if it were in an isolated area. So, the fact that we don't have more pictures or video today is a statistical impossibility.

Another person says that they've never seen a bigfoot but they know someone who saw one. I could kind of understand this. If that someone were a friend or relative you wouldn't want to grill them and suggest that their memory was faulty or they made a mistake. You would want to give them the benefit of the doubt. But this too means that the evidence is not viewed critically or impartially; it's viewed more with an assumption that it is real. I can understand this from a social point of view but it becomes non-evidence from the point of view of science.

Another one is interesting. Let me quote that one:

I also have lived most of my life in wilderness areas, never had any encounters until moving where I live now. Which happens to be along a river, near many lakes, in an area that had a lot of activity. I have had 3 sightings, all from a vehicle, in early morning hrs. We have made good casts of tracks, and found nests, and heard the gamut of sounds. Numerous witnesses at those times, and the involvement of several Bf investigative groups. Unfortunately, the activity has all but died out, I think mostly due to the expansion of housing developments, and to a lesser degree of all the investigators, suddenly appearing on the property, that had pretty much sat idle for decades.
We have no doubts of their existence, but proof will be almost impossible to obtain.

Okay, this doesn't fit to me. If bigfoot is real then a dedicated investigation should turn up solid proof within six months. A wildlife filmmaker should have enough footage to make a full documentary film in two or three years. This is what it takes for other elusive animals like leopards. The above scenario makes very little sense. Did the bigfoot living on this property call up a moving van and relocate? Were these bigfoot monks living in isolation? A bigfoot would be a large organism. It would need food and water. It would need connection to a breeding population. It would leave traces as black bear do. There would be evidence of the food that it ate and certainly the waste it leaves behind. There should be hundreds of hair samples. There should also be more than enough DNA for proof of a new species. This doesn't even count the infrared trail cams. How could proof be almost impossible to obtain unless bigfoot isn't real?

This seems to be far more about shared belief than anything else.
barehl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2017, 08:15 AM   #835
jerrywayne
Graduate Poster

Good post, barehl.

Bigfoot is like a religious belief: fervently believed real despite the absence of conclusive evidence, and while ignoring evidence to the contrary.
Old 7th October 2017, 05:00 PM   #836
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Unofficially we've labeled it BLAARG or BLAARGing. Bigfoot Live Action Alternate Reality Game. That's solely a descriptive title and not intended to make the freaks and geeks look for "safe spaces" over our appropriated use of the words alternate, reality and game without <gulp> a wizard casting a spell on us first.

ETA: The essence of any game is found in its (ground) rules and in the BLAARG there's only one rule, possess/profess/reassess a belief that Bigfoot exists and you're instantly (if not automatically) a player. It's not a game you play to win, it's a game you play to not lose, and since Bigfoot is unfalsifiable you can't. And you can play as much or as little as you like. Be the rock star or sit back. Pretend to see the beast or just pretend to want to. Not many games are that easy to play and win at. Notice how everyone in BLAARGing - NAWAC for instance - acts like he's the ******* winner? The winner of what? BLAARGing!

Last edited by HarryHenderson; 7th October 2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 8th October 2017, 02:00 AM   #837
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by barehl View Post

Another one is interesting. Let me quote that one:

I also have lived most of my life in wilderness areas, never had any encounters until moving where I live now. Which happens to be along a river, near many lakes, in an area that had a lot of activity. I have had 3 sightings, all from a vehicle, in early morning hrs. We have made good casts of tracks, and found nests, and heard the gamut of sounds. Numerous witnesses at those times, and the involvement of several Bf investigative groups. Unfortunately, the activity has all but died out, I think mostly due to the expansion of housing developments, and to a lesser degree of all the investigators, suddenly appearing on the property, that had pretty much sat idle for decades.
We have no doubts of their existence, but proof will be almost impossible to obtain.

If I'm reading this right, then it sounds like this person is saying that their sightings/encounters with Bigfoot coincided with the arrival of the BF investigative groups.
Surely that should be ringing some very loud alarm bells?
In one of these BF threads, there is a recently-posted video of some oversize gentlemen pretending to be stalked by a 'yahoo'. Obviously fake encounter. I wonder if the person quoted above has considered the possibility that they may be being played?

Bring Back the Yak! P.J. Denyer
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 08:44 AM   #838
Drewbot
Philosopher

Silly Hunter, that's a Bigfoot screaming, not a mountain lion...

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c52_1508420743
Old 19th October 2017, 11:42 AM   #839
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Best comment:

Quote:
Nope. That's just the wife... I forgot to take out the garbage again.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 02:47 PM   #840
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Silly Hunter, that's a Bigfoot screaming, not a mountain lion...

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c52_1508420743
You're probably right because when Bigfoot walks his pet cougar he makes the exact same sound to call him in if he gets too far ahead. Those two are a deadly combination. This poor hunter had no idea his life was going to be sparred to warn us.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal