ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th February 2018, 09:38 AM   #81
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Of all the posts that you could have chosen, you choose the least (to use your pejorative and insulting term only for the sake of demonstration) "magical thinking" post in the thread.
You would've prefered I pick a different but more magical one among your contributions? I don't think that would've helped you.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 09:41 AM   #82
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
You would've prefered I pick a different but more magical one among your contributions? I don't think that would've helped you.
My preference is that we tack hard to the OP, but I get that so many believe any thread is open season on TBD
Old 13th February 2018, 09:44 AM   #83
Belz...
Fiend God

My preference is that we tack hard to the OP, but I get that so many believe any thread is open season on TBD
Well perhaps you should strive to not make yourself the topic of conversation, then.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 09:49 AM   #84
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Well perhaps you should strive to not make yourself the topic of conversation, then.
Not sure how I made my posts in the "CT Forum" the topic, but I am just going to go ahead and concede your totes well made points with a hardy:

'k.
Old 13th February 2018, 09:50 AM   #85
Belz...
Fiend God

Not sure how I made my posts in the "CT Forum" the topic
Ouch, that's a very poor reading skill you have there. I'm commenting on your magical thinking on this topic, and lamenting that an otherwise intelligent poster can engage in them. The part about the CT section was a compliment, but I'll take it back if you want.

Old 13th February 2018, 09:51 AM   #86
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Ouch, that's a very poor reading skill you have there. I'm commenting on your magical thinking on this topic, and lamenting that an otherwise intelligent poster can engage in them. The part about the CT section was a compliment, but I'll take it back if you want.
'k.
Old 13th February 2018, 09:53 AM   #87
Belz...
Fiend God

Oh dear.

Old 13th February 2018, 10:23 AM   #88
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Oh dear.
This is the

mhm
laughingdog.gif cycle, I wouldn't hold your breath for any kind of productive conversation.
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 10:27 AM   #89
Belz...
Fiend God

Yes, how very Christian.

Old 13th February 2018, 10:40 AM   #90
SOdhner
Graduate Poster

Actually you are conflating several points, and none of them accurately.
Nope. 1. The first part was clearly accurate. 2. For the second part, you seem to be assuming I'm referring to your post about people supposedly derailing, but I was actually referring to this:

well the difficulty with such a question is that it is answered by atheists and anti-religionists who don't believe a word of the Bible.
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 11:00 AM   #91
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SOdhner View Post
Nope. 1. The first part was clearly accurate. 2. For the second part, you seem to be assuming I'm referring to your post about people supposedly derailing, but I was actually referring to this:
1. agree to disagree.

2. No I was not limiting my post to that, but I respectfully submit that you are not considering the point I was making, namely that it does not make a whole lot of sense to discuss "Jesus, God or Satan" with someone who does not believe in Jesus, God or Satan.
Old 13th February 2018, 11:03 AM   #92
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Edit: you know what... Never mind.

Last edited by Porpoise of Life; 13th February 2018 at 11:07 AM.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 11:45 AM   #93
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Actually you are conflating several points, and none of them accurately.

The part about atheists and non-religious types "checking in" is that they are derailing the discussion of the OP:

OP: Jesus God or Satan?

Anti-religionists: The BABBBLE IS Teh Fake! Har har har....

Serious posters: Oh dear...
Of course it's fake. You haven't figured that out by now? There is more evidence of my invisible pink unicorn and Harry Potter then there is in most of what's in the Bible. At best, you can say is that it is historical fiction.

I have no doubt that Aquinas was an intelligent man. But that doesn't make his beliefs any less foolish. Isaac Newton was probably the smartest man that ever lived and he believed in God and other dumb things like Alchemy.
Old 13th February 2018, 11:50 AM   #94
Belz...
Fiend God

I love that "oh dear" is the best the "serious" posters can muster.

Old 14th February 2018, 10:32 PM   #95
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

But, The Big Dog, to re-phrase my question.

In your post 33 you refer to Thomas of Aquina who claims there IS no evil, just the absence of good when I ask about why a good and loving and all powerful god would allow a satan to even exist.
But then in your post 53 you start referring to satan as an active evil force, which in my opinion therefore totally invalidates the quotation given in post 33.

So again, if, as you yourself claim, there is an active and malevolent power out to undermine humanity, why is your god allowing that?
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 11:06 PM   #96
Cheetah
Muse

I have to admit, Lukraak Sisser, since your first post I've popped in here a few times hoping for a response from TheBigDog as well.
Old 15th February 2018, 07:20 AM   #97
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post

In your post 33 you refer to Thomas of Aquina who claims there IS no evil, just the absence of good when I ask about why a good and loving and all powerful god would allow a satan to even exist.
But then in your post 53 you start referring to satan as an active evil force, which in my opinion therefore totally invalidates the quotation given in post 33.

So again, if, as you yourself claim, there is an active and malevolent power out to undermine humanity, why is your god allowing that?
Because I was responding to two different inquiries in two different contexts, of course. In the first I was responding to your inquiry which while valid portended the inception of rather substantial derail.

The later question was answered within the context of the OP.

Quite simple really
Old 15th February 2018, 10:29 AM   #98
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

How.else can he show which god.swings the biggest stick?
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 10:40 AM   #99
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Because I was responding to two different inquiries in two different contexts, of course. In the first I was responding to your inquiry which while valid portended the inception of rather substantial derail.

The later question was answered within the context of the OP.

Quite simple really
Assume it was not simple enough for me. Is there an active force of evil, lets call it satan, opposing the wil of the Christian god or not? Yes or no to keep it simple please.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 10:45 AM   #100
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Assume it was not simple enough for me. Is there an active force of evil, lets call it satan, opposing the wil of the Christian god or not? Yes or no to keep it simple please.
As I have already said, the OP is specifically premised on that, is it not? On this simple point you must agree, correct?

Yes or no to keep it simple please
Old 15th February 2018, 11:01 AM   #101
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

As I have already said, the OP is specifically premised on that, is it not? On this simple point you must agree, correct?

No, as I read the bible, there is not.

Satan comes across as that god's hatchet man, doing the unpopular jobs, but in the end being subservient and acting on that gods orders.
Old 15th February 2018, 12:49 PM   #102
SOdhner
Graduate Poster

So you're not going to answer the question?
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 12:52 PM   #103
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SOdhner View Post
So you're not going to answer the question?
So I did.

Folks, not liking the answer given is not a basis to assert that the question was not answered. This is so basic. On this simple point you must agree, correct?

Old 15th February 2018, 06:48 PM   #104
maximara
Master Poster

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
None of them are truly positive characters.

If we are arguing which is the least negative, i have to go with Satan. God has a serious anger problem that has him killing in brutal ways pretty much everyone exceot a few sycophants. Jesus could easily have been the best of the three, but he's the one that introduces hell and the lake of fire.
In the Qur'an Satan is even less negative. In that book there is a story that God commanded the angels to bow down to none but God. Then at some time later God commanded the angels to bow down to Man. Unable to reconcile these two conflicting instructions, Satan and various other angels had the divine equivalent of a nervous breakdown and attacked God.

I should mention that Jesus make no direct reference to the lake of fire.

That idea is the product of Revelation which Carrier in one of his lectures described Revelation as a "Five hour acid trip so bizarre if you actually made it into a movie it would actually outdo Eraserhead for the title of ‘Most Annoying Weird Movie Ever Made’. It’s basically the ramblings of a guy who has an hours long conversation with the dead spirit of Jesus who appears in the form of f****d up mutant that makes John Carpenter’s The Thing look cuddly.” and in case you are wondering yes somebody ''did'' make it into a movie--several of them in fact - with one of them adding the Uncanny Valley of CGI to the already off the wall bonkers story

Last edited by maximara; 15th February 2018 at 06:49 PM.
maximara is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy