IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , joe biden

Closed Thread
Old 27th November 2020, 10:15 PM   #3161
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Biden: 80,257,014

Trump: 73,965,222

Margin: 6,291,792

I'll go with final totals of 81.2 million Biden votes, 75.0 million Trump votes, and
2.9 million Other votes.
Old 27th November 2020, 10:27 PM   #3162
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
If Biden wants to get into the White House, he will need to bring...

a shrubbery!
Oh, what sad times are these when passing Democrats can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a china-virus upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period of historical lockdown.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th November 2020, 10:27 PM   #3163
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by surrogate View Post
A great businessman like Schilling would naturally support Trump.
Yeah Schillings attempts to be the new Blizzard when it comes to computer games miserably failed.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th November 2020, 10:40 PM   #3164
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
This is a glaring misunderstanding of what freedom of the press is.

The freedom to do what we’re told has always been regarded by the Right as the most important freedom. It goes all the way back to that there Magna Charter.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th November 2020, 11:03 PM   #3165
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Biden:80,257,014

Trump: 73,965,222

Margin: 6,291,792
Total fraud!!! Biden actually won by MILLIONS of votes!!!!!
Old 28th November 2020, 05:07 AM   #3166
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The 1,126,940 votes were created out of thin air. I won Pennsylvania by a lot, perhaps more than anyone will ever know. The Pennsylvania votes were RIGGED. All other swing states also. The world is watching!
Quote Tweet

Senator Doug Mastriano
@SenMastriano
This was posted on our Department of State dashboard but had since been deleted.

(Image in link)

https://twitter.com/SenMastriano/sta...98733401591808

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 28th November 2020 at 05:08 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 05:12 AM   #3167
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Mastriano’s numbers appear to be from the primary election on June 2.
Trump actually got 3,378,263 votes in the general election.

He offers no source for his image.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 05:44 AM   #3168
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post

...and still the GOP leadership continue to back President Trump 100%.

I'm still not convinced that they won't succeed in overturning the election results.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 06:00 AM   #3169
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
...and still the GOP leadership continue to back President Trump 100%.

I'm still not convinced that they won't succeed in overturning the election results.
I don't expect they will be able to overturn the election results but then I never, ever expected to even have to consider something like that happening in the United States. But here we are. It's very scary. It's very troubling that some of the GOP leadership even tolerate something like this.

What has happened to us?

I'm waiting for the electoral college to meet and vote. If they give Biden the votes he's entitled to THEN I will exhale. Until then...
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 06:26 AM   #3170
jeremyp
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Gives me hope the Trump supporters will grow quiet when Trump leaves office. As a matter of fact, judging from the comments threads I frequent, they've gone more quiet already.
That article says he has lost 46,000 followers since the 22nd. He still has 88 million, so he's "haemorrhaged" about 0.05% of his followers.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 07:22 AM   #3171
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post

At this point it wouldn't surprise me if Trump posted numbers from last year's America's Got Talent and demanded to know where Biden got the extra votes.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 07:28 AM   #3172
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
I don't expect they will be able to overturn the election results but then I never, ever expected to even have to consider something like that happening in the United States. But here we are. It's very scary. It's very troubling that some of the GOP leadership even tolerate something like this.

What has happened to us?

I'm waiting for the electoral college to meet and vote. If they give Biden the votes he's entitled to THEN I will exhale. Until then...
Some of the GOP leadership ?

More like almost all, and many of them are actively contributing, not just failing to condemn President Trump's actions.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 07:37 AM   #3173
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

I don't expect they will be able to overturn the election results but then I never,
ever expected to even have to consider something like that happening in
the United States. But here we are. It's very scary. It's very troubling that some
of the GOP leadership even tolerate something like this.

What has happened to us?

I'm waiting for the electoral college to meet and vote. If they give Biden
the votes he's entitled to THEN I will exhale. Until then...

I'm not sure it's us, alone. Autocratization Surges — Resistance Grows
Old 28th November 2020, 08:44 AM   #3174
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

So much credit to all of the brave men and women in state houses who are defending our great Constitution. Thank you!
Old 28th November 2020, 08:51 AM   #3175
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
The freedom to do what we’re told has always been regarded by the Right as the most important freedom. It goes all the way back to that there Magna Charter.
I guess so. You can have any color Model-T as long as its black.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 09:07 AM   #3176
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
I'll go with final totals of 81.2 million Biden votes, 75.0 million Trump votes, and
2.9 million Other votes.
Nope, no way does Trump cross the 75 million vote threshold. The Biden estimate may be about right. Almost all the ballots left to be counted are in NY.

Latest batch from Westchester County NY

Biden. 42,859 (83%)

Trump. 8,480 (16%)
Old 28th November 2020, 09:11 AM   #3177
Paul2
Philosopher

What has happened to us?

Someone assure me that the PA case that is going to SCOTUS has no chance of SCOTUS ruling in its favor in any way, considering not only the merits (or lack thereof) of the case, but the nature of SCOTUS as well.

Are we sure that Roberts and Gorsuch are very, very, very likely to rule properly on that case?

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 09:32 AM   #3178
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Someone assure me that the PA case that is going to SCOTUS has no chance of SCOTUS ruling in its favor in any way, considering not only the merits (or lack thereof) of the case, but the nature of SCOTUS as well.

Are we sure that Roberts and Gorsuch are very, very, very likely to rule properly on that case?
I doubt SCOTUS will even hear arguments in the PA case. Rudy's case is awful.
The Third Circuit's ruling was legally perfect and made by three Republicans judges. There is nothing about this appeal that has any legal merit.

Alito should reject it out of hand. The only reason Alito might bring the case to the full court is simply for cover. He might not want to be the one judge that quashed a sitting Republican president's hopes.

Certiorari won't be issued.

Last edited by acbytesla; 28th November 2020 at 09:33 AM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 09:35 AM   #3179
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Is there any reason to think the conservative members of the SCOTUS are any more extreme than the panel of the 3rd circuit, that hammered the campaign with things like, "Lawsuits usually have serious allegations and evidence. This case has neither."

That was written by a Trump-appointed judge. The other two judges were Bush appointees.

This has already been heard by a conservative court. It got destroyed.
Old 28th November 2020, 09:42 AM   #3180
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I doubt SCOTUS will even hear arguments in the PA case. Rudy's case is awful.
The Third Circuit's ruling was legally perfect and made by three Republicans judges. There is nothing about this appeal that has any legal merit.

Alito should reject it out of hand. The only reason Alito might bring the case to the full court is simply for cover. He might not want to be the one judge that quashed a sitting Republican president's hopes.

Certiorari won't be issued.
I'm pretty sure you are right, but a thought occurred to me about a reason certiorari might be granted.

Sometimes, the Supreme Court takes a case, and then issues a 9-0 opinion. I wouldn't swear that I've ever seen that where they take a case and issue a 9-0 or other lopsided, let's say 7-2, opinion that upholds a lower court ruling, but I'm guessing it has happened.

Their purpose in doing so, I am told, is that sometimes there is no clear court precedent, and they want to establish one. There has been a lot of nonsense spouted in this post-election time about how the legislature can step in and disregard the will of the people. It is conceivable that they might take the case just for the purpose of making sure they can establish a precedent that this case, and any other like it, is nuts. If they want to squash this one like a bug, and make sure that any other fantasy of ignoring elections does not darken their doorstep in the future, they might take the case.

I doubt it, but I don't know enough to say the scenario is absolutely impossible.
Old 28th November 2020, 09:43 AM   #3181
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Is there any reason to think the conservative members of the SCOTUS are any more extreme than the panel of the 3rd circuit, that hammered the campaign with things like, "Lawsuits usually have serious allegations and evidence. This case has neither."

That was written by a Trump-appointed judge. The other two judges were Bush appointees.

This has already been heard by a conservative court. It got destroyed.
I can't think of a single reason why SCOTUS would want to hear this case. There is no upside in them hearing it.
Old 28th November 2020, 09:52 AM   #3182
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Which one is this? Hard to keep track.
Old 28th November 2020, 09:53 AM   #3183
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I'm pretty sure you are right, but a thought occurred to me about a reason certiorari might be granted.

Sometimes, the Supreme Court takes a case, and then issues a 9-0 opinion. I wouldn't swear that I've ever seen that where they take a case and issue a 9-0 or other lopsided, let's say 7-2, opinion that upholds a lower court ruling, but I'm guessing it has happened.

Their purpose in doing so, I am told, is that sometimes there is no clear court precedent, and they want to establish one. There has been a lot of nonsense spouted in this post-election time about how the legislature can step in and disregard the will of the people. It is conceivable that they might take the case just for the purpose of making sure they can establish a precedent that this case, and any other like it, is nuts. If they want to squash this one like a bug, and make sure that any other fantasy of ignoring elections does not darken their doorstep in the future, they might take the case.

I doubt it, but I don't know enough to say the scenario is absolutely impossible.
The thing is they don't need to create new precedence. This isn't Nixon v US where the court ruled 8 to 0 with Rhenquist absteining.

Better to reject it outright than to keep this farce going a minute longer. Don't let the court be the focus of attention.
Old 28th November 2020, 09:55 AM   #3184
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Which one is this? Hard to keep track.
The only case possible to appeal to SCOTUS at the moment is the appeal unanimously rejected by the Third Circuit.
Old 28th November 2020, 09:57 AM   #3185
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

I can't think of a single reason why SCOTUS would want to hear this case. There is no upside in them hearing it.

What is the down side? They're all appointed for life, so even if Trump decides to trash them, there's essentially nothing he can actually do to them.

Plus, there is an upside, at least for the three judges Trump appointed: Being part of a 9-0 smackdown of Trump himself is just about the only thing that would convince a lot of people that they won't just be toadies to Trump.
Old 28th November 2020, 10:02 AM   #3186
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The only case possible to appeal to SCOTUS at the moment is the appeal unanimously rejected by the Third Circuit.
Where are the documents, can't find a link.
Old 28th November 2020, 10:04 AM   #3187
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

The thing is they don't need to create new precedence. This isn't Nixon v US where the court ruled 8 to 0 with Rhenquist absteining.

Better to reject it outright than to keep this farce going a minute longer. Don't let the court be the focus of attention.
I think you are probably right, but I would like to see a definitive statement that the legislature can't intervene in the manner that a lot of right wingers are saying they can. I doubt that the nine individuals who make up the court will decide that's enough reason to make themselves targets by stating it, especially since there are enough crazies out there that "targets" might be literally true.
Old 28th November 2020, 10:11 AM   #3188
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
What is the down side? They're all appointed for life, so even if Trump decides to trash them, there's essentially nothing he can actually do to them.

Plus, there is an upside, at least for the three judges Trump appointed: Being part of a 9-0 smackdown of Trump himself is just about the only thing that would convince a lot of people that they won't just be toadies to Trump.
While a 9-0 slap down might be fun, there is no question of law that needs to be settled. Their ruling would be redundant to the slapdown Trump got with the Third Circuit. Simply not issuing Certiorari would also send the message that the court is not a political instrument.
Old 28th November 2020, 10:15 AM   #3189
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

I think you are probably right, but I would like to see a definitive statement that the legislature can't intervene in the manner that a lot of right wingers are saying they can. I doubt that the nine individuals who make up the court will decide that's enough reason to make themselves targets by stating it, especially since there are enough crazies out there that "targets" might be literally true.
I think you might be mistaken in your assumption that such a decision would be correct in a broad sense. Even a liberal judge might look at this and want to stay far away from making a broad decision since states are permitted a great deal of freedom in how they conduct their elections and assign their electors in the presidential election. In this situation, it seems likely that a smart Supreme Court Justice would look at this, decide that the lower court was correct, and leave it at that.

Besides, at the end of the day, the Supremes didn't look good at all when they let themselves be dragged into the 2000 election and then decided it. I doubt any of the current justices are particularly interested in getting pulled into this mess where the outcome isn't even truly in question.
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 10:15 AM   #3190
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Where are the documents, can't find a link.
The Trump campaign hasn't filed an appeal to SCOTUS that I'm aware of. But here's a link to the 27 page Third Circuit ruling.

https://www.scribd.com/document/486077037/CA3-20-3371

Here is one of many articles that summarises it

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/11/27/...tion-case.html
Old 28th November 2020, 10:20 AM   #3191
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I understand that. But this isn't the case to do that with. But I hope we never see that case because that would mean some state tried to do it.
Old 28th November 2020, 10:26 AM   #3192
Paul2
Philosopher

Thanks, everyone, I appreciate the insights about the 3rd Circuit case going to SCOTUS.

Old 28th November 2020, 10:34 AM   #3193
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The Trump campaign hasn't filed an appeal to SCOTUS that I'm aware of. But here's a link to the 27 page Third Circuit ruling.

https://www.scribd.com/document/486077037/CA3-20-3371

Here is one of many articles that summarises it

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/11/27/...tion-case.html
Ah right. I read that yesterday. From how people people were posting I thought they had started their appeal.

Don't forget any appeal to the SCOTUS would have to be about the original decision to not allow the second amendment.

Can't see why the SCOTUS would get involved in such a decision, especially given the appeal court not only affirmed the original decision to not allow the second amendment based on due delay but considered other possible legal arguments.

Remember appeals are not for another bite of the cherry.
Old 28th November 2020, 10:45 AM   #3194
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

"A court ruled against the Second Amendment! It's time, folks, get your rifles!"

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 10:48 AM   #3195
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Ah right. I read that yesterday. From how people people were posting I thought they had started their appeal.

Don't forget any appeal to the SCOTUS would have to be about the original decision to not allow the second amendment.

Can't see why the SCOTUS would get involved in such a decision, especially given the appeal court not only affirmed the original decision to not allow the second amendment based on due delay but considered other possible legal arguments.

Remember appeals are not for another bite of the cherry.
That's pretty much how I see it. SCOTUS doesn't rule on questions of fact, only on questions of law. There is no legal justification to allow Trump to amend his case twice.
Old 28th November 2020, 11:25 AM   #3196
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

That's pretty much how I see it. SCOTUS doesn't rule on questions of fact, only on questions of law. There is no legal justification to allow Trump to amend his case twice.
AFAIK, IANAL, LOL... there is no constitutional reason a judge has to allow someone to amend their case even once.
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 11:30 AM   #3197
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Double post

Last edited by gnome; 28th November 2020 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Double
gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 11:31 AM   #3198
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
AFAIK, IANAL, LOL... there is no constitutional reason a judge has to allow someone to amend their case even once.
Exactly. This is also a case where the plaintiffs emphasized the need for speed.

I guess Judge Brann was just a little too fast for them.
Old 28th November 2020, 11:44 AM   #3199
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

https://twitter.com/JennaEllisEsq/st...003581954?s=19

There's an eventbrite link to the "public hearing" being held at a Hyatt Regency by "select members" of the AZ legislature.

Other members have noted the way they've set this up (only one party's members, held outside of the capitol without any notice) make their use of the term "public hearing" very suspect. It's a stunt for cameras.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 28th November 2020 at 11:46 AM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 12:11 PM   #3200
Paul2
Philosopher

Thanks, everyone, I appreciate the insights about the 3rd Circuit case going to SCOTUS.

Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics