IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2016 elections , 2020 elections , Bernie Sanders , donald trump , hillary clinton , presidential candidates

Old 20th February 2017, 01:49 PM   #81
Sabrina
Wicked Lovely

Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
Also.

If the Democratic Party runs any candidate in the 2020 election which is already a well known member of the party they will lose and they deserve it.

The Democrats need a fresh face. The concept of "The establishment" is what lost them this one.
Personally I think Tammy Duckworth should run for President in 2020.

Think about it. Female; check. US military veteran; check. DISABLED veteran; double check (double amputee). Skeletons in the closet; few that I can find. Ability to stir up the base; pretty damn high, given the things I've heard her say in the past. New to politics; relatively so. She's been a US representative for four years and is just now starting as the junior Senator from Illinois. By the time 2020 rolls around, she'll have been in politics for upwards of eight years at the national level. She's Asian-American as well. She's about as far from an establishment candidate as you can find without going outside politics altogether to someone with no experience like Trump. I imagine people like Trump would probably question her legitimacy, given that she was born in Thailand to an American father and a Thai mother, but I can't find anything that indicates she's not considered a natural-born US citizen despite her birth location.

She's just one of several people I've thought of, but she, to me, is probably one of the better candidates.
Sabrina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2020, 07:59 PM   #82
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MrFliop View Post
I promise that if(and only if) the world is destroyed in a nuclear war, I will come back to this page and say that I regret voting for Donald Trump

https://i.imgflip.com/1jt94y.jpg
So? Any regrets? It's all funny haha laugh out loud until someone gets taken away to the re-education camps.

ETA: Didn't see this one.

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Also.

If the Democratic Party runs any candidate in the 2020 election which is already a well known member of the party they will lose and they deserve it.

The Democrats need a fresh face. The concept of "The establishment" is what lost them this one.
Good call, Joe!

Last edited by Elagabalus; 23rd November 2020 at 08:04 PM.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2020, 08:25 PM   #83
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Hopefully there will be lots of protests, overt voter suppression and election fraud, opponents dying in suspicious circumstances, riots incited by republicans and foreign powers, and mass incarceration of liberals. This will lead to all-out civil war, which Trump will end by nuking the blue states. With the US now out of the way, Russia and China will start sizing each other up...
Well at least we got some of that. And while Trump didn't nuke any blue states, he did manage to kill off a hundred thousand or so with a virus.

So all in all I think it was a success - if making the 2020 election less boring was your goal.
Old 23rd November 2020, 08:48 PM   #84
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Well at least we got some of that. And while Trump didn't nuke any blue states, he did manage to kill off a hundred thousand or so with a virus. .
250,000 just at this time, which is about twice as many as have been killed in atomic fire.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2020, 09:15 PM   #85
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Great Necro.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2020, 09:32 AM   #86
Garrison
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MrFliop View Post
Just think about it. The 2020 election will make this one seem boring. It will be the ultimate Republican vs the ultimate Democrat. It would be like JFK vs Ronald Reagan.
And four years on that is deeply insulting to Reagan.
Old 24th November 2020, 09:34 AM   #87
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Good call, Joe!
*Shrugs* I was wrong on that one. Small price to pay for the results.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2020, 10:01 AM   #88
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
*Shrugs* I was wrong on that one. Small price to pay for the results.
In your defense, it would have been difficult to predict the pandemic and the Trump administrationís colossal failure of a response to it.

I have my doubts that Biden would have won otherwise.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2020, 10:18 AM   #89
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
In your defense, it would have been difficult to predict the pandemic and the Trump administrationís colossal failure of a response to it.

While I would agree we could not predict the pandemic I think it is quite easy to have predicted that the response would be a colossal failure. From a person who despises science, espouses conspiracy theories, invents scapegoats, and sees all the world as winners and losers, to predict anything other than colossal failure would, I think, be surprisingly unlikely.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2020, 10:28 AM   #90
dirtywick
Master Poster

I agree. I believe a pandemic, or any real test of leadership, was something people warned about with Trump early and often. That something didn’t happen sooner in his presidency was plain luck.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2020, 11:06 AM   #91
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
I agree. I believe a pandemic, or any real test of leadership, was something people warned about with Trump early and often. That something didnít happen sooner in his presidency was plain luck.
I think he escaped starting a war in Iran by sheer dumb luck, when the Iranian military shot down an airliner out of panic, and public support in Iran disappeared.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2020, 11:23 AM   #92
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post

A pandemic was predicted years before Trump was elected. Bill Gates famously gave a Ted talk in 2014. The Obama administration created an office to deal with it and drafted a response plan. Trump disbanded the office and threw away the plan. If Trump had just sat back and let the professionals take over, he might have been a hero.
https://www.ted.com/talks/bill_gates...e_re_not_ready
https://couriernewsroom.com/2020/04/...tted-his-work/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2020, 12:02 PM   #93
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
250,000 just at this time, which is about twice as many as have been killed in atomic fire.
This comes up a lot.
Obviously Trump's failure and cultivation of conspiracy theories has had a serious toll of our handling of the virus.

But no countries have been left untouched. If Hillary or Joe had been in charge, or even the best imaginable president, they still would have had to wrangle the American people and our state governments. There still would have been anti-maskers and people flouting lockdowns. Which other western country with a sizeable population has zero deaths.

I think Canada is a decent comparison. They're not our size or wealth, but they're fairly big, and as culturally similar to the US as you could likely argue any country is.

If you extrapolate their death rate to our population size, allow for the fact that we're a bit more belligerent, and you're left with something like half of our casualties.

So to be fair, Trump didn't kill 250k Americans. He probably killed more like 125K.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2020, 12:03 PM   #94
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
If Trump had just sat back and let the professionals take over, he might have been a hero.

But that would have required him to be someone fundamentally different in behavior and temperament than Donald Trump.

Last edited by Armitage72; 24th November 2020 at 12:04 PM.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2020, 12:25 PM   #95
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

I'll never regret not voting from Trump.

I was surprised by his anti-gun agenda. Even more shocked by the number of Trump supporters who so eagerly bent over for it. Well, the ones who were claiming it wasn't a gun grab anyway.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2020, 04:41 PM   #96
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
This comes up a lot.
Obviously Trump's failure and cultivation of conspiracy theories has had a serious toll of our handling of the virus.

But no countries have been left untouched. If Hillary or Joe had been in charge, or even the best imaginable president, they still would have had to wrangle the American people and our state governments. There still would have been anti-maskers and people flouting lockdowns. Which other western country with a sizeable population has zero deaths.

I think Canada is a decent comparison. They're not our size or wealth, but they're fairly big, and as culturally similar to the US as you could likely argue any country is.

If you extrapolate their death rate to our population size, allow for the fact that we're a bit more belligerent, and you're left with something like half of our casualties.

So to be fair, Trump didn't kill 250k Americans. He probably killed more like 125K.

I agree. There would still have been those with the "you can't tell me what to do" mentality that exists in so many of the extremist right wing mentality. But many of the Trump cultists would have followed his lead if he had done the sensible thing and said to wear masks and worn one himself.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2020, 11:14 PM   #97
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The OP has made my "someone whose opinion on anything should not be taken seriously" list.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2020, 01:15 AM   #98
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
But that would have required him to be someone fundamentally different in behavior and temperament than Donald Trump.
One that would have been a successful businessman, without the desperate need for approval and overt white supremacism that made him the successful reality tv host and spokesman for those enraged by the idea of a black guy becoming president and the existence of people who speak Spanish in the US.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2020, 02:14 AM   #99
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post

Which is why I said 'a hundred thousand or so'. But I am only counting those he actively killed. The rest are a result of inaction and poor responses, which a good president would have greatly reduced.

The sick thing is that Trump could easily have gotten his supporters to do stuff like wearing masks and social distancing, if only he had tried.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics