IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags faith healer , faith healers , faith healing , healers , Peter Aziz

Old 7th January 2007, 04:01 PM   #1
St.Michael
Scholar

Trust Me I'm a Healer

BBC2 10pm, Monday 7th January 2007.

First of a new series examining the work of unorthodox healers, beginning with “Shaman” Peter Aziz who has claimed he can cure people with Cancer and AIDS.

Has anyone heard of this guy before?
St.Michael is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2007, 09:56 PM   #2
Minarvia
fading orb

No, I've not heard of him. But...good grief. Just what we need, another show along the lines of "Psychic Detectives." I hope no-one gets more sick or dies due to believing this kind of stuff.
Minarvia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2007, 10:46 PM   #3
SezMe
post-pre-born

Hear Ye! Hear Ye! Read all about it!

ETA: Check out the prices for his "pearls". This is a scam.

Last edited by SezMe; 7th January 2007 at 10:49 PM.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2007, 12:41 AM   #4
Tanja
Comfortably Numb

Uh. From his website, in the section on "magickal items" he sells:
Quote:
Genies. For a further £300, a genie can be invoked into the staff, which will work with the tree spirit to give far greater magickal power. The conjuring of a genie is a 41 day process, hence the price. Genies can have various powers. Generally, staffs will be prepared with a versatile psychic type genie which will amplify all psychic abilities, and assist the working of magick, clairvoyance and astral projection, but they can be invoked for specific purposes such as drawing wealth, protection, love. If these are requested, they will be attached to the most appropriate wood. E.g. for an extra powerful protection, you could have a protective genie attached to a blackthorn necklace. For wealth, the genie would be attached to a necklace of live applewood beads.
Quote:
Demon-destroying potion. This is a very powerful potion that requires hours of high magick workings to prepare it. It contains fresh herbs, gathered and prepared in a sacred way, and high-spin gold prepared through an alchemical process. For those who feel they have heavy karmic ties with dark forces, this potion can be taken regularly for a few weeks to clear all these dark forces from every level of ones being. It will remove all demonic forces, negative entities and black magick. This can result in great improvements in many areas of life, and in ones health. 150ml bottle: £150
Has he been reading too much Harry Potter? Does anyone actually buy these things?
Tanja is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2007, 02:58 AM   #5
chocolatepossum
Critical Thinker

Judging from the preview I've read in the paper, I'm hoping this program will take a slightly sceptical approach to his claims.

The Metro says:

"the way he preys on the vulnerable is deeply unsettling to watch"

Have to wait and see, I suppose.
chocolatepossum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2007, 04:16 AM   #6
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by St.Michael View Post
First of a new series examining the work of unorthodox healers, beginning with “Shaman” Peter Aziz who has claimed he can cure people with Cancer and AIDS.
The Cancer Act 1939, s.4 states:
Quote:
No person shall take any part in the publication of any advertisement containing an offer to treat any person for cancer, or to prescribe any remedy therefor, or to give any advice in connection with the treatment thereof;

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2007, 03:31 PM   #7
Jerf
New Blood

Just watching this now... no, it's just finished. One of the featured victims has died, the other has decided to take the route of conventional medicine. I feel that the show's presenter has endulged this charlaton Peter Aziz far too much... even to the point of agreeing to take a bottle of water containing a 'genie' to a patient. Ridiculous.
Jerf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2007, 09:47 AM   #8
volatile
Scholar and a Gentleman

I just wanted to cross-post this here, in case its of interest:

Originally Posted by mattlodder View Post
Email sent to the Devon & Cornwall Constabulary, via their website:

Sirs,

Following the documentary programme "Trust Me... I'm a Healer!" on BBC 2 (8th January, 10pm), I am writing to you ask for your investigation into a possible breach of the law within the boundaries of your constabulary jurisdiction.

Pursuant to the Cancer Act 1939, Section 4, I believe Peter Aziz, of 20 Furlong Close, Buckfast to be in breach of the act's provision to prevent "an offer to treat any person for cancer, or to prescribe any remedy therefor, or to give any advice in connection with the treatment thereof". The documentary, and his website, clearly shows Aziz receiving payment from cancer patients in return for his spurious faith healing "treatments".

Whilst Aziz's website (at http://www.azizshamanism.com/) does claim a broadly worded disclaimer to the effect that his mystical, bizarre activities do not constitute a "cure" for cancer, it is clear that he is obtaining pecuniary advantage by offering treatments therefor.

I trust that you will take this enquiry seriously, as it seems clear to me that allowing charlatans and con-men to profit from the misery and desperation of the terminally ill is something the Devon & Cornwall constabulary should take with the utmost seriousness.

Yours,

Matthew C. Lodder
volatile is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2007, 10:07 AM   #9
Deetee
Illuminator

Nice one, Matt.

ETA The Devon and Cornwall Constabulary have a link that claims:

Quote:
The anti-terrorist hotline is for tip offs and confidential information. For warnings about possible bombs or other immediate threats please call 999. Click here for common sense advice and information on what the government is doing to protect the country as a whole.
I haven't dared click it yet - I expect it will be an empty web page.
"Homeopathy: I never knew there was so little in it." - BSM

Last edited by Deetee; 10th January 2007 at 10:11 AM.
Deetee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2007, 11:32 AM   #10
JonWhite
Muse

Fantastic work Matt!!! Huge respect. Although by no means as complete as your mail, I have sent the following to the D & C constabulary:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have recently been appalled to see a TV programme "Trust Me...I'm A Healer" shown on on BBC2 on the 8/1/07, about "shaman" Peter Aziz of 20 Furlong Close, Buckfast, Devon. TQ11 0ER.

In the programme he clearly offers a "treatment" for cancer for which he receives payment. Is this not in clear breach of the Cancer Act 1939, Section 4?

As such, please act to stop this peddler of false hopes from continuing to cruelly prey on the desperate and needy.

Yours Sincerely,
JonWhite.

Hopefully if they receive enough complaints they will have to act on this idiot.

JonWhite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2007, 11:39 AM   #11
volatile
Scholar and a Gentleman

Unfortunately, the Cancer Act only allows for a fifty pound fine on first offence, although repeated infractions carry the threat of 3 months imprisonment. Not hugely powerful as a deterrent, but hopefully it'll spook the guy if the cops come knocking.
volatile is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2007, 11:47 AM   #12
JonWhite
Muse

He can commune with the cell spirits!!!
JonWhite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2007, 11:56 AM   #13
bourgeois_rage
Student

Quote:
Unfortunately, the Cancer Act only allows for a fifty pound fine on first offence, although repeated infractions carry the threat of 3 months imprisonment. Not hugely powerful as a deterrent, but hopefully it'll spook the guy if the cops come knocking.
Well if they do take action perhaps they will remove the show from the airwaves in order to avoid future fines.
bourgeois_rage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2007, 01:57 PM   #14
volatile
Scholar and a Gentleman

"Mr Lodder, your concerns and details have been passed to local officers forinvestigation, your reference number for the information that you have provided is [redacted]."

Now - let's just hope the local officers take the matter seriously...
Old 11th January 2007, 02:50 AM   #15
volatile
Scholar and a Gentleman

Well, full marks to the D&CC for prompt action - I had a call this morning and ended up having a long chat with an officer about the programme (he hadn't seen it, although one of his colleagues had) and my specific concerns about it.

He had taken advice and thought that from a legal point of view they'd have problems getting a conviction due to the weasel-worded nature of Aziz' disclaimer. As the conversation went on, it was clear he was in the "non-believer" but not "sceptical" camp, as he made numerous vague references to "things you and I don't understand", but when I pointed out to him he might feel different were his own mother or grandmother were being conned, he realised the consequences of Aziz' actions.

Anyway, that was that, more or less it - he was very receptive, very interested and promised that, whilst he would make sure his "patch" would keep an eye on Aziz, there is an unfortunate disjunction between morality and the law in this particular area. I'm left wondering now whether other statutes might have been more applicable - Trades Descriptions, Obtaining Pecuniary Advantage Through Deception or other more regularly applied laws might have better convinced the boys in blue.

All in all, though, and it has to be said, I'm really impressed with the seriousness and speed that this was dealt with, despite the ultimately disappointing conclusion.
Old 11th January 2007, 03:14 AM   #16
Zep
Banned

You may not have been the only one talking to Mr Plod, Matt.
Zep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2007, 04:32 AM   #17
RSLancastr

Very nice, Matt!

Mine just said

Quote:
What's all this, then?!?
I'll let you know if they reply.

Seriously, great letter.

Curious about Sylvia Browne? Read about her at www.StopSylvia.com.

Ever wonder "What's the Harm?" with psychics, alternative medicine, etc?
RSLancastr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2007, 04:40 AM   #18
volatile
Scholar and a Gentleman

There's two threads on this now...

Following a hearty but slightly disappointing response from the cops, I contacted the CPS (who have to decide on the balance of evidence whether a prosecution can be brought):

To the head of the D&C CPS:

Sir,

I am writing to you in your capacity as Chief Crown Prosecutor for the Devon and Cornwall area.

In have recently been in contact with the Devon and Cornwall constabulary (ref OIS1054 10/1/07) regarding what I feel to have been a breach of the provisions of the 1939 Cancer Act, amongst others, and whilst I was most impressed with the speed and courtesy with which the police dealt with my concerns, I remain unconvinced by their specific assertion that there is probably no substantial case that can be brought.

My specific concerns arose from a documentary screened on BBC2 on the 8th January, 2006, entitled "Trust Me... I'm a Healer!". The programme focussed on the services offered by a Devon man, a Mr Peter Aziz from Furlong Close in Buckfast, who preyed on desperate cancer victims including an elderly lady who died only shortly after receiving his "treatments". Aziz offers treatments for cancer which, if his website (http://www.azizshamanism.com/) and the documentary are to be taken at face value, include communing with gnomes, spirits and faeries and the application of mystical crystals (!), all of which he charges handsome sums to supply.

Pursuant to the Cancer Act 1939, Section 4, these activities appear to be in breach of the act's provision to prevent "an offer to treat any person for cancer, or to prescribe any remedy therefor, or to give any advice in connection with the treatment thereof". D&CC were of the opinion that this man's deeply immoral actions were not necessarily contrary to this act, particularly as he provides a mealy-mouthed disclaimer that the services he offers do not constitute a "cure". Aside from the fact that those seeking his services clearly believe he is indeed providing a cure, you'll note the specific wording of Section 4 prohibit the provision of a treatment or "advice therefor", not just a cure.

I understand that, on the face of it, this may seem to be a trivial matter, but I would ask you to consider how you might feel were it a close family member of yours being fleeced in this way. My grandmother died of throat cancer and she was plagued in her final weeks by charlatans and mystics of this order offering her false hope in return for what I imagine to have been a not inconsiderable sum of money. The law, I understand, takes a dim view of other forms of fraud and deception, and I feel that just because this specific con is couched in magical language that it should necessarily be beyond your remit.

Would the CPS consider Mr Aziz' actions to be in breach of the 1939 Act? Are there any other appropriate statutes relevant to deception that might also be suitably applicable? It pains me greatly to imagine this man being able to continue to fleece money from the elderly, the vulnerable and the infirm without consequence.

Yours,

Last edited by Darat; 12th January 2011 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Member's request
Old 12th January 2007, 07:06 AM   #19
Deetee
Illuminator

What about trying the Trading standards office?

There is a precedent...
Healer fined over medicinal claims

(Thank Mojo over on badscience for this one)
Deetee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2007, 07:24 AM   #20
volatile
Scholar and a Gentleman

Brilliant. That's promising. I wish I'd have known about that before speaking to the D&C police. Never mind.

I'm still waiting for a response from the CPS, and when they do get back to me I'll bring this precedent up.

I've also altered and forwarded my email to Devon Trading Standards... maybe that might be more fruitful!
Old 12th January 2007, 11:48 AM   #21
Deetee
Illuminator

Great stuff Matt - It's guys like you who get off their butts and do something that make all the difference.

A further thoughts -The Aziz web site seems to be very light on his claims concerning "cures for cancer" but he certainly claimed on the TV programme that he treated people for this. Just basing a case around his web site would probably fail, as there is probably insufficient evidence there for a prosecutable case. Failing that, BBC archives could produce a copy of the programme (or I could as I have it on tape).
Old 16th January 2007, 07:13 AM   #22
Asolepius
Graduate Poster

The Turoff episode was disappointingly shallow and meaningless. This quack was uncovered on Channel 4 about 3 years ago, palming bits of pig liver etc, and the authorities did nothing at all. I was especially turned off by the presenter's final thought that he couldn't see any harm in it. Turoff is a good example of a well known syndrome, that of the fraud who is so good at it that they start to believe it themselves. Must feel wonderful to be called God.

Despite Turoff's disclaimers, I still think he is practising medicine without a licence. No genuine doctor gives guarantees of anything. No doctor claims to be able to cure anything, with certainty. I don't think Turoff's disclaimer is anything different from the way proper medicine is practised, which means that he is practising it, unqualified, and that's illegal. To be legal, he would have to turn away all the people who think he can cure them, and refuse their money. I'm sure he can be nailed. But the official will to do it is just not there.

Blog - Majikthyse
Asolepius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal