IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags faith healers , faith healing , james randi , steve martin

Old 19th February 2007, 12:32 PM   #1
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

Steve Martin in "Leap of Faith"

I know Randi has said:

Quote:
I counted nineteen items that were taken directly from my book, and several instances of the same dialog being used that was quoted in my book. Without those extracts and usages, they would not have had a story at all. The script was most decidedly based upon my book, with the only change being a love-interest worked in.
http://www.randi.org/jr/120701.html

Is the movie good? How is its treatment of faith healing? I tried to find the trailer online, but to no avail.
Questioninggeller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2007, 12:40 PM   #2
Tricky
Briefly immortal

Originally Posted by Questioninggeller View Post
I know Randi has said:
http://www.randi.org/jr/120701.html

Is the movie good? How is its treatment of faith healing? I tried to find the trailer online, but to no avail.
Sentimental slop. The parts that Randi wrote were good, showing the tricks these guys use, but the characters are one-dimensional characatures of real people. The plot was strictly Hollywood assembly line. In the end, the charlatan finds love and produces a real miracle. You don't have to be psychic to have predicted that.

I can see why Randi was outraged (I wonder what happened to the lawsuit?) because they took his book to set up something that goes against everything his book was about.
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2007, 12:59 PM   #3
Overman
Master Poster

Taking nothing away from 5 Time SNLer Steve Martian...

"You're great."

"No, you're great."
Overman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2007, 01:19 PM   #4
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Please, call him Mr. STEVE Martin
Old 19th February 2007, 05:15 PM   #5
Beanbag
Illuminator

There is nothing new in Hollywood. Yes, charlatan healers use headset radios -- Randi himself exposed that one on the Tonite Show. They have shills in the audience gathering information. They basically use the same proven (and not too secret) methods of mentalists and magicians.

So Mr. Randi didn't get credited. Well, if he was the sole source for the information about the gags and grifts, he might have a leg to stand on. The information was already out there. I recall an interview with Steve Martin where he attended a faith healers' convention in disguise to pick up on the current level of technology they use. It was on television, some late night show, so I can't index or link back to it.

I saw the movie -- there isn't anything in the story that could be linked directly back to Randi's book except in a very vague and general fashion. I do think it might have been better to have brought Randi on board as a special consultant. He has a wealth of information that could have made the movie better.

Beanbag
Beanbag is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2007, 05:19 PM   #6
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

What about the parts he referred to as "direct quotes"?

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2007, 05:54 PM   #7
Beanbag
Illuminator

I can't speak for the quotes, 'cause I haven't read that particular Randi book. So I could be wrong.

Won't be the last time. Certainly not the first.

Beanbag
Beanbag is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal