IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags derren brown , faith healers

Old 30th April 2011, 09:34 AM   #1
teacher
Scholar

Miracles for sale Derren Brown

I'm writing from the UK. May I recommend Derren Brown's latest show, shown on British TV on Channel 5 at 9pm last Monday 25th April 2011 for 95 minutes. It was called, 'Miracles for sale' and was about faith healers. I am a big Derren Brown fan and this show was excellent.
Look forward to reading others' feedback.
Old 30th April 2011, 09:39 AM   #2
s_pepys
Muse

hi

yep excellent as usual. his show called messiah was also really good. probably the only skeptical show in the uk that i can think of.

lxxx
s_pepys is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2011, 10:11 AM   #3
teacher
Scholar

Derren Brown Miracles for Sale

Sorry, Channel 4. Here's a link to the whole show without ads through it:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/d...ls/4od#3182173
Old 30th April 2011, 10:35 AM   #4
teacher
Scholar

Yes, of the specials that Derren has done, 'Messiah' - set in the US, was my favourite and shows his multiple skills in being able to tackle and take on multiple disciplines and beat/convince the best in the business.

Philip Escoffey is coming on this week with a show called, 'Impossible' and goes out for six, hourly, weekly programmes. It combined a game show and magic.

Randi did a series of challenge shows in the UK over 2 decades ago where claimants came on the show to strut their stuff and inevitably but very respectfully got debunked.

Richard Dawkins has had a couple of series (e.g. the God delusion) and Penn and Teller had a purely magic show in the UK where they had to work out how tricks were done, but this wasn't really a sceptical or rational show.

Derren's, 'Miracles for sale' was special in that he did not leave himself open to harrassment by fundamentalists as he specifically targetted the fraudulent, not religion. [If the hat fits, wear it though]. It was very down to earth on a relatively small budget showing warts and all, finding a nobody and showing what could be done on the streets and in a healing meeting. He used the help of ex pentecostals and current Christians who havce concern for people's health. Derren exposed some very common hearing, sight and leg lengthening stunts. He didn't go down the harder, 'Penn and Teller' route as this would not suit him or get as good a reaction. He showed restraint, concern, respect, coupled with seriousness without compromise, all of which has left it open for high budget expose's and new ideas on how to try to target such national ministries and industries to both believers and sceptics alike.

If anyone has not seen Darren, it is hard to find him doing a bad show, and they all show innovation and a world class mastery of various skills, so check him out.
Old 30th April 2011, 12:11 PM   #5
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

I remember Randi's UK show. It was very good.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2011, 01:00 PM   #6
leon_heller
Graduate Poster

There is an earlier thread on this topic:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=206503
Old 1st May 2011, 07:26 PM   #7
CarriePoppy
New Blood

When is Derren going to release all this goodness on region 1 DVD? Say I, say I.
CarriePoppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy