IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags faith healers , obituaries , oral roberts

Old 15th December 2009, 02:17 PM   #1
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Oral Roberts is dead.

I always perceived this man to be a charlatan. The people who he was supposed to be healing weren't visibly ill. No amputated limbs ever appeared and no hunchbacks ever had their spine straighted out. No blind people could see no deaf could really hear. He contributed nothing of value to society and hopefully nobody really misses him.
Old 15th December 2009, 02:33 PM   #2
Marduk
Banned

who is oral roberts ?
sounds kinky
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2009, 02:36 PM   #3
Doubt
Philosopher

What? No blackmail effort from God this time?
Old 15th December 2009, 02:46 PM   #4
Nonpareil
The Terrible Trivium

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
He contributed nothing of value to society and hopefully nobody really misses him.
While I don't like Roberts, I have to say that this strikes me as overly callous.
Old 15th December 2009, 03:06 PM   #5
paximperium
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pure_Argent View Post
While I don't like Roberts, I have to say that this strikes me as overly callous.
While I do hope his "university" collapses into ruin and his crap based beliefs die with him, his family and friends do miss him.
Old 15th December 2009, 03:14 PM   #6
Mister Agenda
Illuminator

I hope he died peacefully.
Mister Agenda is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2009, 03:16 PM   #7
Ysidro
I'm watching you

Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
who is oral roberts ?
sounds kinky
American televangelist. In '87 he claimed if he did raise $8mil God would call him home.

A co-worker thinks all the money blocked his ears until now.
Old 15th December 2009, 03:33 PM   #8
Gawdzilla Sama
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

What steps have been taken to make sure he stays dead?
Buying conspiracy books is a voluntary tax on stupid.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2009, 03:35 PM   #9
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Gawdzilla View Post
What steps have been taken to make sure he stays dead?
I would love to see him return as a zombie.
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2009, 03:39 PM   #10
Gawdzilla Sama

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
You mean "remain", not "return", right?
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2009, 03:54 PM   #11
Marduk
Banned

Only Jewish Messiahs can do that and even then it doesn't last
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2009, 04:06 PM   #12
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

The 900 foot tall Jesus came to take him home.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2009, 05:02 PM   #13
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

My favorite Oral Roberts University tale:

A centerpiece of the campus is the Praying Hands monument, gargantuan praying hands that weigh 30 tons, in a courtyard setting. A freak tornado toppled the hands. Engineers couldn't figure a way to right them again without tearing apart the courtyard walls, at great expense.

Then a mousy little guy showed up and said, "If I can get them up again, without any damage to the courtyard, would you pay me a thousand bucks?"

Impossible, but with nothing to lose, they told the little guy to try. He walked to the edge of the courtyard, took a quarter out of his pocket, and tossed it in an arc over the fallen hands.

And they jumped up to smack closed on the quarter, righting themselves.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2009, 05:05 PM   #14
paximperium
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
No. The giant hands did.
Old 15th December 2009, 06:30 PM   #15
Gawdzilla Sama

That was Mecha-Streisand.
Old 15th December 2009, 07:19 PM   #16
Tricky
Briefly immortal

I once bought one of his albums, but I couldn't play it because the hole healed up.
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2009, 07:40 PM   #17
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

If anyone cares to remember Oral Roberts' activities, Randi's The Faith Healers has a chapter detailing Roberts' "miracles" / faith healing.

Also Ozzy Osbourne donated a dollar to Roberts' ministry so Roberts could get the professional help he needed.

Last edited by Questioninggeller; 15th December 2009 at 07:42 PM.
Questioninggeller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2009, 08:15 PM   #18
Hux
Graduate Poster

So thats Falwell, now Roberts. Who will be next, Robertson? They have all missed the rapture.
Old 15th December 2009, 08:39 PM   #19
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

I can see the headline in tomorrow mornings paper:

"Jesus Receives Oral"

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2009, 08:44 PM   #20
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

I can see the headline in tomorrow mornings paper:

"Jesus Receives Oral"
I am extremely uncomfortable about celebrating, laughing, or being in any way happy at the death of another human being. But I just couldn't help myself and giggled.
Old 15th December 2009, 09:45 PM   #21
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

Has anyone seen Hitchens on the cable-waves? It's in these situations that he really shines.
hgc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2009, 09:50 PM   #22
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
who is oral roberts ?
sounds kinky
He certainly sucked his followers dry.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2009, 09:53 PM   #23
nescafe
Caffeinated Beverage

I always perceived this man to be a charlatan. The people who he was supposed to be healing weren't visibly ill. No amputated limbs ever appeared and no hunchbacks ever had their spine straighted out. No blind people could see no deaf could really hear. He contributed nothing of value to society and hopefully nobody really misses him.
After the morgue enema he will probably fit in the matchbox with Falwell.
nescafe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2009, 09:57 PM   #24
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Oral went to meet his god and be happy with him in heaven.

He left behind a multimillion dollar enterprise spewing hate and intolerance.

By their fruits shall ye know them.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2009, 10:05 PM   #25
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by paximperium View Post
While I do hope his "university" collapses into ruin and his crap based beliefs die with him, his family and friends do miss him.
Evidence?

His friends now have control over the money and his family is free of his domineering presence and he gets to be happy with god. Looks like win, win and win for the living.
Old 15th December 2009, 10:13 PM   #26
Achán hiNidráne
Illuminator

WOOOO HOO!

I need the funeral date, a plane ticket, the location of his grave, and a Big Gulp... no, make that SEVERAL Big Gulps.

Ding dong Fellatio Roberts is DEAD!
"As the Corpse Lord knows, men today are ill-trained--ignoble: naught but wet anuses dribbling childish terrors and superstitions! Thus is knowledge--history, science, the world of the ancients--lost, never to be regained!" --M.A.R. Barker, "The Man of Gold"

Last edited by Achán hiNidráne; 15th December 2009 at 10:15 PM.
Achán hiNidráne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2009, 10:20 PM   #27
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by Hux View Post
So thats Falwell, now Roberts. Who will be next, Robertson? They have all missed the rapture.
Ask their secretaries about that.
Old 15th December 2009, 10:57 PM   #28
billw
Muse

A fast zombie, or a slow zombie?

-- John Perry Barlow
billw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2009, 10:58 PM   #29
KodeBlue
Scholar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE4icQMfMhc
KodeBlue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2009, 12:53 AM   #30
Bob Blaylock
Forklift Operator

Originally Posted by Ysidro View Post
American televangelist. In '87 he claimed if he did raise $8mil God would call him home.

I have to confess that I tried to murder Mr. Roberts, by maliciously, declining to send him any money.
Bob Blaylock is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2009, 02:30 AM   #31
Cactus Wren
Muse

Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
I have to confess that I tried to murder Mr. Roberts, by maliciously, declining to send him any money.
My housemate says that she lost a friend by saying at that time, "Great -- now is our chance to actually find out whether there's a God!"
Cactus Wren is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2009, 06:23 AM   #32
Brown
Penultimate Amazing

He contributed nothing of value to society and hopefully nobody really misses him.
It is a harsh thing to say, but in my view, to say that the man the man "contributed nothing of value to society" is to be kind to him. In my view, he was a parasite and a destroyer, not a contributor. He was a huckster, a con artist who deserved to go to the pokey, and the principal reason that he did not was that he committed his sins in the name of religion.

Although there is no shortage of miscreants lining up to fleece the faithful now that Oral is gone, make no mistake: the world is better off without him.

Amen.

"Don't you get me wrong. I only want to know." -- Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar, lyrics by Tim Rice
Brown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2009, 08:44 AM   #33
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Compared to what? I wonder if anybody died because of a faith heal (did he do those?) or because they relied on prayer.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2009, 09:14 AM   #34
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
You neglected the best version:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2009, 09:37 AM   #35
Tricky
Briefly immortal

Originally Posted by Cactus Wren View Post
My housemate says that she lost a friend by saying at that time, "Great -- now is our chance to actually find out whether there's a God!"
Doonesbury actually did a few strips on this when it happened. It was just news coming from the TV, but the newscasters were talking about "God becoming a terrorist". After all, He was taking a hostage and demanding cash or he'd kill the hostage. It was very funny.
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2009, 09:46 AM   #36
Achán hiNidráne
Illuminator

You neglected the best version:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Heh! Thanks Klaus! We miss you!

If I might borrow a phrase from H. L. Mencken's eulogy for William Jennings Bryan:

"Has it been marked by historians that the late Oral Robert's last secular act on this earth was to catch flies?"
"As the Corpse Lord knows, men today are ill-trained--ignoble: naught but wet anuses dribbling childish terrors and superstitions! Thus is knowledge--history, science, the world of the ancients--lost, never to be regained!" --M.A.R. Barker, "The Man of Gold"

Last edited by Achán hiNidráne; 16th December 2009 at 09:54 AM.
Achán hiNidráne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2009, 09:51 AM   #37
FreshHat
Why, You Little...

Originally Posted by paximperium View Post
No. The giant hands did.

I always thought that was the C. Montgomery Burns Monument.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0022.JPG (17.4 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by FreshHat; 16th December 2009 at 09:55 AM.
FreshHat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2009, 10:11 AM   #38
ravdin
Illuminator

What strikes me as overly callous is pretending to have magical healing powers and lying to desperate people to rip them off.

Believe what you're told. There would be chaos if everyone thought for themselves. -Top Dog slogan
ravdin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2009, 10:35 AM   #39
Hux
Graduate Poster

Benny Hinn next?
Old 16th December 2009, 10:58 AM   #40
Achán hiNidráne
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Hux View Post
Benny Hinn next?
Given his age, I would have to say that Robertson is next on his God's chopping block.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy