IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags faith healers , obituaries , oral roberts

Old 16th December 2009, 11:18 AM   #41
Brown
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
Compared to what? I wonder if anybody died because of a faith heal (did he do those?) or because they relied on prayer.
Did he do faith healing? No, he didn't. There is no credible evidence that Oral in any way contributed to any supernatural healing.

He did, however, CLAIM to be able to provide or facilitate or intercede for or otherwise bring about supernatural intervention in people's lives, which included supernatural healing.

At one time he was the most well-known individual for pushing this totally bogus claim. Even into the 1990s, he was on the air, urging his viewers to send him money and telling them to "Expect your miracle!"

One of the last memories of my grandmother was her watching this rogue on TV and agreeing with Oral when he falsely promised that miracles would come to those who believed. This is not a pleasant memory to have. As far as anyone in my family could tell, she received no miracle of any kind.

Oral kept her money anyway.

On May 1, 2003, it was my great pleasure to shake the hand of a man who exposed rascals like Oral for what they were. That man was James Randi.

"Don't you get me wrong. I only want to know." -- Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar, lyrics by Tim Rice
Brown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2009, 03:36 PM   #42
KingMerv00
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by billw View Post
A fast zombie...

No such thing.
KingMerv00 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2009, 07:49 PM   #43
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by KingMerv00 View Post
No such thing.
Yeah. Fast zombies are a fiction cooked up by fearmongering media outlets.
Old 17th December 2009, 01:21 AM   #44
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

Originally Posted by Brown View Post
Did he do faith healing? No, he didn't. There is no credible evidence that Oral in any way contributed to any supernatural healing.

On May 1, 2003, it was my great pleasure to shake the hand of a man who exposed rascals like Oral for what they were. That man was James Randi.
Didn't one of the earliest posts in this thread claim that James Randi's book Faith Healers included Oral Roberts in the list of faith healers?
Silly Green Monkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2009, 06:26 AM   #45
KingMerv00
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Yeah. Fast zombies are a fiction cooked up by fearmongering media outlets.
Not fearmongering...lamemongering.
KingMerv00 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2009, 07:23 AM   #46
kbm99
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
Didn't one of the earliest posts in this thread claim that James Randi's book Faith Healers included Oral Roberts in the list of faith healers?
being called a faith healer != actually healing anyone via faith
kbm99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2009, 08:43 AM   #47
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

I won't look for it or anything, but Michelangelo Signorele played a clip of Roberts yesterday doing an anti-gay rant. It was in one respect, absolutely disgusting the amount of vile this guy was spewing, but I have to admit, it was also kind of hot, as he was pretty explicit in describing the passion of gay sex.
Old 17th December 2009, 08:51 AM   #48
Nursefoxfire
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
I won't look for it or anything, but Michelangelo Signorele played a clip of Roberts yesterday doing an anti-gay rant. It was in one respect, absolutely disgusting the amount of vile this guy was spewing, but I have to admit, it was also kind of hot, as he was pretty explicit in describing the passion of gay sex.
probably this one, although I'm at work and can't listen to it right now:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Nursefoxfire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2009, 09:18 AM   #49
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Nursefoxfire View Post

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
If you want to see a anti gay fundy rhetoric go to jack Chick tracts and they have a tract that actually shows two gay guys kissing in Sodom. It also shows a terrified child cowering from a gorilla like pervert.
Old 17th December 2009, 09:23 AM   #50
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Nursefoxfire View Post

I AGREE
The part I heard starts at about 3:30 or so in this clip, and then goes on from there. The part where "the arousal is so great, the person goes insane." I'm like, man, if this is what gay sex is like, I might get me some of that. That's hot!!!
Old 17th December 2009, 11:19 AM   #51
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by paximperium View Post
While I do hope his "university" collapses into ruin and his crap based beliefs die with him, his family and friends do miss him.
Evidence?
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy