IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags benny hinn , faith healers

Old 2nd March 2005, 07:41 PM   #1
Hamradioguy
Pyrrhonist

Canadian faith healer Benny Hinn

Did anyone catch the CBC special on Benny Hinn? It's on as I write- Channel 6 out of Montreal. Really a good expose. Why can't ABC and the other US networks do something like this. Wish I'd managed to tape this show.
Hamradioguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2005, 08:03 PM   #2
canadarocks
Thinker

I have found, in general, that Canadian TV programs (W5, Fifth Estate, etc) are better done than their US conterparts. I miss Canadian TV!
canadarocks is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2005, 08:10 PM   #3
TruthSeeker
Illuminator

I think it may be the episode I saw a few months ago.

Excellent. Skeptical, balanced, challenging, especially in comparison to the John of God investigation.

I am naive enough to believe that society will be changed by examination of ideas through books and the press, and that information can prove to be greater than the dissemination of stupidity - Dr. Seuss
TruthSeeker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2005, 08:51 PM   #4
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

Benny Hinn has been done to death by US news investigative programs. He's old news, only his believers care any more, and they're favorably disposed (by definition). Until he erupts in scandal, no one notices. Oh yeah, many fundy Christians (e.g., Bob Jones) who don't like his flavor notice, and to hear them talk, Hinn is leading his apostate flock into a lake of fire. It's strictly an internal dispute in the fundy/evangelical universe.

You know, there's only so much good in screaming about the charletans fleece the flock. Eventually you learn that the flock really, really wants what they're buying, and they consider the price well worth it. Same goes for Sylvia Browne, George W. Bush, etc.
hgc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2005, 06:52 AM   #5
jimmygun
Graduate Poster

Benny Hinn is Canadian? Are you sure?. We have our share of religious dickwads up here, we don't need to adopt any more.
Old 3rd March 2005, 07:06 AM   #6
Vortex
Thinker

Here's a good read, from the "evangelical" movement no less.
Old 5th March 2005, 08:10 AM   #7
Lisa Simpson

Dateline on NBC will have a segment on Benny Hinn, tomorrow, Sunday March 5.

Quote:
Two years ago "Dateline NBC's" hidden cameras followed the self-described miracles of television's popular televangelist and faith healer, Benny Hinn. Now, in a revealing one-hour, follow-up investigative report, Bob McKeown reports on what happens to some of the millions of dollars sent to the Hinn Ministry by his devoted followers.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032600/
Lisa Simpson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2005, 09:32 AM   #8
MLynn
Whippet of Peace

Quote:
Originally posted by hgc You know, there's only so much good in screaming about the charletans fleece the flock. Eventually you learn that the flock really, really wants what they're buying, and they consider the price well worth it. Same goes for Sylvia Browne, George W. Bush, etc. [/b]
You're right about this. Only when the $$$ drys up will Hinn and others like him go away.
MLynn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2005, 09:48 AM   #9
Hamradioguy
Pyrrhonist

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmygun
Benny Hinn is Canadian? Are you sure?. We have our share of religious dickwads up here, we don't need to adopt any more.
Oops, sorry to all my Canadian friends. Hin was born in Israel and only lived in Toronto. Apparently he's moved to southern Calif. Should blend right in there. And Canada can breathe easier...
Hamradioguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2005, 12:54 PM   #10
CathodeRay
Muse

Dateline NBC did the whole hour on him last night and it pretty much confirmed my opinion that he's a thief, liar, and cheat.
What really amazes me about the ones that claim healing powers thru God/Jesus/whoever is that they continue to get away with it. You would think that after some number of people who they claim are healed have died from whatever was "healed" the government would become involved enough to require a little proof. You can commit almost any crime in the name of religion and get away with it, it seems.
Old 7th March 2005, 01:51 PM   #11
Brahe
Scholar

Quote:
Originally posted by CathodeRay
What really amazes me about the ones that claim healing powers thru God/Jesus/whoever is that they continue to get away with it. You would think that after some number of people who they claim are healed have died from whatever was "healed" the government would become involved enough to require a little proof. You can commit almost any crime in the name of religion and get away with it, it seems.
One bit of apologetics that I've heard in relation to this is that, if the sick person dies, then they've really been cured! After all, death is filled with heaven, where there is no sickness or pain, and every day is filled with fun and contentment. It's the ultimate cure, not a failure on God's part!

If you can convince the wronged that the crime was a blessing, you'll never go to prison.
Brahe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2005, 04:18 PM   #12
Ladyhawk
Muse

I caught only small parts of the Dateline report last night, but, no matter. I've seen enough on Hinn to write a biography....

I believe 20/20 did a deal on him a few years ago. Every faith-healer is reprehensible, to be sure. But, the most despicable thing I saw Hinn get away with was telling some of the believers who hadn't experienced a healing that it was either because:

a. the believer's faith wasn't strong enough
b. the sickness was part of a punishment levied on the believer for sinful past acts or sinful past acts by a member of the believer's family

c. both

This arrogant, self-centered, self-appointed Messiah bastard actually told a young couple that their baby hadn't been healed because the parents' past sins were a curse upon the child...

Yet, Hinn remains successful (not to his former status, as reported by Dateline, but successful nonetheless) because it's easier for some to believe in the possibility of a miracle than to embrace the reality that there is no intelligent design and that, often, life just isn't fair.
Old 7th March 2005, 06:53 PM   #13
MLynn
Whippet of Peace

I saw the Dateline piece/expose and it was scathing, and I'm very glad they did it! The most sickening thing was the cancer patients; they thought they were healed, but both died shortly after the Hinn "crusade."

Oh, and the lavish travelling/private jet, luxury president suite accommodations, lots and lots of "petty cash" payments to him and his family from the organization, the $10 MM mansion - ugh, it goes on and on!!
MLynn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2007, 11:58 PM   #14
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Hamradioguy View Post
Did anyone catch the CBC special on Benny Hinn? It's on as I write- Channel 6 out of Montreal. Really a good expose. Why can't ABC and the other US networks do something like this. Wish I'd managed to tape this show.
You can download the program here: http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/media/miracles.wmv
Questioninggeller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2007, 12:10 AM   #15
c4ts
Philosopher

He's Canadian? From all the Latino accent and incoherent babbling I just thought he was from outer space.
c4ts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy