IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags faith healers , healers

Old 21st July 2006, 03:42 PM   #1
Mid
Graduate Poster

London Faith Healers

An interesting article here:

http://www.johannhari.com/archive/article.php?id=932

Although covers a lot of the usual stuff, it's still depressing to know this still goes on
Mid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2006, 02:08 AM   #2
Mid
Graduate Poster

I suppose I should have included a quote, however so much of it's depressing especially this bit:

Quote:
Morris asks the healed people to come forward. There is a stampede. As I watch the audience members explaining how their illnesses have disappeared – “Give Jesus a big hand for the work he’s done!” Morris cries – I think of the previous victims of this charade. The women on stage now, declaring their cancer is gone, could go the way of the 25 year-old epileptic from Southwark who was told she was cured of epilepsy by Morris. She stopped taking her pills – and drowned in the bath during a fit six days later.
Isn't there someway that criminal charges could be brought?
Mid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2006, 03:03 AM   #3
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Mid View Post
Don't know about London, but the USA equivalent, Benny Hinn, has been doing this for years without legal problems. I'm sure he and your affliction, Morris Cerrullo, have numerous high-priced lawyers to defend their right to "free speech" even though, to me, it is akin to shouting "fire" in a theater.

Sigh...

PS: I had a hard time reading the link text because it was so hard to divert my eyes from the advertisement on the right side of the page.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2006, 03:11 AM   #4
brodski
Tea-Time toad

I suppose I should have included a quote, however so much of it's depressing especially this bit:

Possibly under the Cancer act 1939, I'm just looking up the text now.
brodski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2006, 03:17 AM   #5
Mid
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Don't know about London, but the USA equivalent, Benny Hinn, has been doing this for years without legal problems. I'm sure he and your affliction, Morris Cerrullo, have numerous high-priced lawyers to defend their right to "free speech" even though, to me, it is akin to shouting "fire" in a theater.

Sigh...

PS: I had a hard time reading the link text because it was so hard to divert my eyes from the advertisement on the right side of the page.
Well he'd probably claim it's his relegious freedom to con these people

As for the ad I didn't know an amazon advert could be so diverting (actually given it's a UK sight does these dates for democrates count for everyone who believes in democracy?)
Old 22nd July 2006, 03:21 AM   #6
brodski
Tea-Time toad

Well he'd probably claim it's his relegious freedom to con these people
but that's not a valid defense in the UK, he can claim it all he wants.
brodski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2006, 03:37 AM   #7
Mid
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by brodski View Post
but that's not a valid defense in the UK, he can claim it all he wants.
I was always a bit shakey on this, I remember some jehovah's witnesses trying this type of argument to stop their kid getting a transfusion a while ago and it didn't work, can't remember anything about this pertaining to adults though.
Old 22nd July 2006, 03:54 AM   #8
Mid
Graduate Poster

Possibly under the Cancer act 1939, I'm just looking up the text now.
As far as I can see from reading the act it's only an offence if you advertise a cancer cure, it could be covered by some of the national health service acts but I'm no lawyer. I may send an email to Johann Harri suggesting he makes a complaint to the police as they know better what is legal or not.
Old 22nd July 2006, 03:57 AM   #9
valis
Muse

Don't know about London, but the USA equivalent, Benny Hinn, has been doing this for years without legal problems.
Hinn has had problems in civil courts. I know he settled one suit where a got a broken hip at one of his services and later died of complications. He was doing the 'slain in the spirit' routine and the subject fell on an elderly woman. I know the settelment for that was in the millions.

But the irony of going to a healing service and getting killed.......

A song, by those guys...
valis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2006, 03:57 AM   #10
brodski
Tea-Time toad

I was always a bit shakey on this, I remember some jehovah's witnesses trying this type of argument to stop their kid getting a transfusion a while ago and it didn't work, can't remember anything about this pertaining to adults though.
there is a difference between an adult refusing treatment, and an adult being told that they no longer need to have treatment because they have been cured.
Old 22nd July 2006, 04:04 AM   #11
SezMe
post-pre-born

As for the ad I didn't know an amazon advert could be so diverting (actually given it's a UK sight does these dates for democrates count for everyone who believes in democracy?)
Tain't an amazon ad on my system. It's a good-looking babe sticking her ample chest directly toward my face.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2006, 11:21 AM   #12
brodski
Tea-Time toad

Tain't an amazon ad on my system. It's a good-looking babe sticking her ample chest directly toward my face.
No, we're getting the same ad's this side of the pond, it's just that if you look past the bosom there is an ad for Amazon, ironically enough.
Old 22nd July 2006, 01:33 PM   #13
SezMe
post-pre-born

No, we're getting the same ad's this side of the pond, it's just that if you look past the bosom there is an ad for Amazon, ironically enough.
Oh, I didn't notice. I wonder why?
Old 23rd July 2006, 10:10 AM   #14
brettDbass
Kurious

As far as I can see from reading the act it's only an offence if you advertise a cancer cure, it could be covered by some of the national health service acts but I'm no lawyer. I may send an email to Johann Harri suggesting he makes a complaint to the police as they know better what is legal or not.
Let's have a look at some more text from the link here...
Quote:
Morris begins to call the Holy Spirit down from Heaven (a place he has visited several times). “Something awesome is happening in this building! Morris has no control over it!” Morris says about, er, himself. “The heavens have opened! Angels are descending! Jesus! Jesus! I didn’t expect this to happen!” he cries, as he does in every show. People have fallen silent, their eyes open in wonder. Some are babbling in tongues. Others are weeping. “Warm liquid fire is passing over you! People are being healed! A woman with a liver condition… only half her liver works… she’s healed! A woman with cancer in her breast… the lump is healed!”
As I read the quote above, Morris is advertising (by verbal statement in the presence of witnesses) that He has been the channel for the cure of this cancer, by the power of Jesus Christ.

It's such a shame, but I expect this still wouldn't hold up in the UK courts

New Signature - old content.
brettDbass is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2006, 11:19 AM   #15
Hutch
A broken man on a Halifax pier, the last of Barrett's Privateers

Reading bretts' quotation, I am reminded of Randi's "The Faith Healers". The same type of words used years ago by healers still being used today to fool either the gullible or those who most desperately want to believe.

It's the type of stuff that made me happy I did what I just did today--Officially join the JREF as a paid member.

Maybe a few of those dollars will help a few people see through this male bovine excrement.
Old 23rd July 2006, 03:19 PM   #16
Mid
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by brettDbass View Post
Let's have a look at some more text from the link here...

As I read the quote above, Morris is advertising (by verbal statement in the presence of witnesses) that He has been the channel for the cure of this cancer, by the power of Jesus Christ.

It's such a shame, but I expect this still wouldn't hold up in the UK courts
Hadn't thought of it that way, will have to get working on that email tomorrow, assuming I don't melt from the heat (I'm so looking forward to Winter)

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal