IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Darlene Bishop , faith healers , televangelists

Old 2nd January 2007, 11:22 AM   #1
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Televangelist kills brother, family sues

Quote:
Tele-evangelist sued over 'God can heal' claim

Ed Pilkington in New York
Tuesday January 2, 2007
The Guardian

Darlene Bishop, as she appears on the cover of her book

Darlene Bishop, a tele-evangelist with a nationwide following, does not do things by half. When she and her husband Lawrence erected a statue of Jesus on the grounds of their mega church in Monroe, Ohio, they made it 62 feet high.
No less gargantuan are her claims about the power of prayer to overcome illness. Through a series of sermons, books and a television show, Sisters, broadcast on religious satellite channels throughout the US and abroad, she preaches that God has the power to heal even the most deadly diseases, including cancer.

Article continues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But the contention is now the subject of a court action. Four of Mrs Bishop's relatives are suing her over her claim that God cured their father - her brother - of throat cancer. He died of the disease 18 months ago.
In her book Your Life Follows Your Words, Mrs Bishop tells how she overcame her breast cancer through prayer, and how her brother was also cured. There is no mention of his death in the book, which she says is due to the fact that it was published at a time when he had been in remission for more than a year.

But the volume is still on sale through her website (price $15) under the blurb: "How God healed her of breast cancer and her brother healed from throat cancer".

Mrs Bishop's brother, Darrell "Wayne" Perry, was an accomplished songwriter whose work has been performed by big names in country music such as Tim McGraw, and by the Backstreet Boys. For a year before his death in May 2005, aged 55, he was cared for by his sister.

His children, Bryan, Justin, Olivia and Christian, have issued a lawsuit for wrongful death against Mrs Bishop because they claim she persuaded Perry to stop chemotherapy and rely instead on God's healing. They contend in legal depositions that at the moment Mrs Bishop and her brother were touring the country preaching about the miracle of his recovery, they were both aware that he had been advised by doctors that his illness was terminal.
link

The odd thing is that it would seem she actualy believed in what she claimed.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2007, 11:29 AM   #2
KingMerv00
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if they still believe in God. If so, shouldn't they sue Him?
KingMerv00 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2007, 12:00 PM   #3
Brown
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Darlene Bishop, a tele-evangelist with a nationwide following, does not do things by half. When she and her husband Lawrence erected a statue of Jesus on the grounds of their mega church in Monroe, Ohio, they made it 62 feet high.
This is the very same "Big Butter Jesus" that has been making its way around the web.

http://www.buckeyestateblog.com/big_butter_jesus
http://calethos.livejournal.com/75100.html

"Don't you get me wrong. I only want to know." -- Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar, lyrics by Tim Rice
Brown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2007, 12:00 PM   #4
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by KingMerv00 View Post
Which one has actual money? Deep pockets of it.
Old 2nd January 2007, 12:13 PM   #5
KingMerv00
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Which one has actual money? Deep pockets of it.
The Judeo-Christian God authored the best selling book of all time. If J K Rowling is rich He must be.
KingMerv00 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2007, 12:37 PM   #6
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

The Judeo-Christian God authored the best selling book of all time. If J K Rowling is rich He must be.
No he was a fool, he let the copywrite expire. The Co$ handels the copywrites in their holy books in a much better fashion.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2007, 01:18 PM   #7
CynicalSkeptic
Master Poster

Even if you were to win such a lawsuit, good luck collecting. He is above the law after all.
CynicalSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2007, 03:00 PM   #8
fuelair
Banned

The various publishers have reported difficulty contacting the purported author to get his earnings to him or his legally designated agents.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2007, 03:12 PM   #9
Skeptic Guy
Raccoon Death Squad Leader

In that case, as one of "God's little children", may I claim his royalties?

Even Mother TeresaWP doubted.
Skeptic Guy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2007, 03:19 PM   #10
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Skeptic Guy View Post
According to Nietzsche, God was dead by 1882, so his copyrights will have expired by now.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2007, 03:31 PM   #11
grayman
Happy-go-lucky Heretic

You may have to split it six billion ways.

All great truths begin as blasphemies. - George Bernard Shaw

God is evil. As soon as you accept that, it all makes sense. - Sledge
grayman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2007, 03:44 PM   #12
Skeptic Guy

Originally Posted by grayman View Post
You may have to split it six billion ways.
Man, you got me there...you mean other people know about it?

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
According to Nietzsche, God was dead by 1882, so his copyrights will have expired by now.
You mean no one renewed the copyright? No sequels? It's almost like it was ghost written...

Last edited by Skeptic Guy; 2nd January 2007 at 03:46 PM.
Skeptic Guy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2007, 04:07 PM   #13
Capsid
Graduate Poster

Anyone seen this film?
Capsid is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2007, 04:16 PM   #14
KingMerv00
Penultimate Amazing

I will gladly represent everyone in a class action suit.

My take will be 25%.
Old 2nd January 2007, 07:14 PM   #15
Skeptic Guy

I will gladly represent everyone in a class action suit.

My take will be 25%.
That would be an interesting court battle.

Old 3rd January 2007, 02:31 PM   #16
KingMerv00
Penultimate Amazing

United States ex rel. Mayo v. Satan & His Staff, 54 F.R.D.
Quote:
We feel that the application to file and proceed in forma pauperis must be denied. Even if plaintiff's complaint reveals a prima facie recital of the infringement of the civil rights of a citizen of the United States, the Court has serious doubts that the complaint reveals a cause of action upon which relief can be granted by the court. We question whether plaintiff may obtain personal jurisdiction over the defendant in this judicial district. The complaint contains no allegation of residence in this district. While the official reports disclose [**2] no case where this defendant has appeared as defendant there is an unofficial account of a trial in New Hampshire where this defendant filed an action of mortgage foreclosure as plaintiff. The defendant in that action was represented by the preeminent advocate of that day, and raised the defense that the plaintiff was a foreign prince with no standing to sue in an American Court. This defense was overcome by overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Whether or not this would raise an estoppel in the present case we are unable to determine at this time.

If such action were to be allowed we would also face the question of whether it may be maintained as a class action. It appears to meet the requirements of Fed.R. of Civ.P. 23 that the class is so numerous that joinder of all members is impracticable, there are questions of law and fact common to the class, and the claims of the representative party is typical of the claims of the class. We cannot now determine if the representative party will fairly protect the interests of the class.

We note that the plaintiff has failed to include with his complaint the required form of instructions for the United States Marshal for directions [**3] as to service of process.

For the foregoing reasons we must exercise our discretion to refuse the prayer of plaintiff to proceed in forma pauperis.

It is ordered that the complaint be given a miscellaneous docket number and leave to proceed in forma pauperis be denied.
Real case. That's right...you too can try to sue fictional characters.

Last edited by KingMerv00; 3rd January 2007 at 03:04 PM.
Old 3rd January 2007, 03:10 PM   #17
KingMerv00
Penultimate Amazing

*Bump*

Seems my last post didn't bump the thread up. Server glitch.
Old 3rd January 2007, 04:14 PM   #18
afreire70
New Blood

The litigious US

This story is originally from the UK if I am not mistaken. After reading the story I was left with one thought.

How is it that in the United States (land of unbridled litigation), there haven't been a series of lawsuits along these lines? Surely there are dozens of exemplars of the dangerous evangelical fraud described above -- evangelists "zapping" away cancer and other serious ailments through the power of the holy ghost all the while advising the flock that their money is best put to use in service of the lord than the secular medical establishment. And surely we have no lack of ambulance chasers in this country that would take up the legal mantle.

Why haven't we seen this?
afreire70 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2007, 04:24 PM   #19
valis
Muse

I am no attorney, plus even if I was I am in the U.S. so it would not apply anyhow, but it looks to me like there are at least two problems here.

One is that the doctor supposedly told him the cancer was terminal; unless I am missing something that means the ultimate outcome would not have been effected.

More to the point is the fact that all kinds of people tell you all sorts of things; you don't have to listen to them. It would be one thing if she said "for x amount of money I can perform y which will cure your cancer". I don't know if just telling someone that God will cure them is, or should be criminal.

A song, by those guys...
valis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2007, 08:28 AM   #20
Skeptic Guy

As KingMerv posted, what jurisdiction would God fall under? And where would you serve the process documents?

Surely you could sue the evangelist for falsley representing the Big Man...

Old 5th January 2007, 10:39 AM   #21
KingMerv00
Penultimate Amazing

As KingMerv posted, what jurisdiction would God fall under? And where would you serve the process documents?
Dual citizen. Israel and Mississippi.
Old 5th January 2007, 11:20 AM   #22
I less than three logic
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by valis View Post
I am no attorney, plus even if I was I am in the U.S. so it would not apply anyhow, but it looks to me like there are at least two problems here.

One is that the doctor supposedly told him the cancer was terminal; unless I am missing something that means the ultimate outcome would not have been effected.

More to the point is the fact that all kinds of people tell you all sorts of things; you don't have to listen to them. It would be one thing if she said "for x amount of money I can perform y which will cure your cancer". I don't know if just telling someone that God will cure them is, or should be criminal.
From my understanding it isn't criminal, hence why the family is suing in civil court.
“The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball ninety million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.” – Douglas Adams
I less than three logic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2007, 04:06 PM   #23
TsarBomba
One Damn Dirty Ape

Caveat Emptor

Buyer Beware. I think that's all there is to say.
TsarBomba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal