ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 

Notices


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 15th January 2013, 03:50 AM   #201
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details...
Posts: 39,883
Originally Posted by sgtbaker View Post
So you cut out the part that states that I am not sure what you mean, then make a comment about a JREF forumite assuming with an eyeroll? Is there a reason why you chose to be confrontational as opposed to just telling me that I wasn't getting your intended message, maybe clarifying what you actually meant? Is there something in my tone?
I already answered that question in my last post. There is no reason for you to think that I meant something other than what I said, period.
__________________
"'Ought' statements are merely 'is' statements that beg the question." - PixyMisa

"When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force, my friends, is violence. The supreme authority from which all other authorities are derived." - Starship Troopers
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2013, 06:15 AM   #202
sgtbaker
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,161
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I already answered that question in my last post. There is no reason for you to think that I meant something other than what I said, period.
I am not trying to pull back layers and find some deeper meaning in what you said. I flat out don't get what you've said. How useful do you think the Oscars are?
sgtbaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2013, 08:02 AM   #203
Steve
Graduate Poster
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,653
sgtbaker,

If I may offer my opinion...

Belz said:

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
The ratings system can be useful just like the Oscars can be useful in judging a movie without having seen it; but I'd rather the process was less political and religious and more impartial and consistent.
You replied:

Originally Posted by sgtbaker View Post
Bringing my own bias to the conversation, I am having difficulty deciding if the first part of the sentence is sarcastic. I don't particularly find the Oscars useful, at all, as I very rarely agree with their nominations. So my first assumption is that you mean it is completely useless. The second part of the sentence, though, suggests that I might be misreading.
To which Belz responded:

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Leave it to JREF forumites to assume that other posters are saying something that they're not.
And later by you after some additional back and forth (my hilite):

Originally Posted by sgtbaker View Post
I am not trying to pull back layers and find some deeper meaning in what you said. I flat out don't get what you've said. How useful do you think the Oscars are?
I think Belz' initial statement is quite clear in that he finds some utilty in using both the Oscar's and the ratings system in forming an intial opinion, but he thinks that the ratings system could be improved. You, apparently despite the hilited comment, are searching for some additional meaning (sarcasm etc) in Belz' statement that is simply not there. Perhaps you should just take his intitial comment at face value and move on.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2013, 09:35 AM   #204
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details...
Posts: 39,883
Originally Posted by sgtbaker View Post
I am not trying to pull back layers and find some deeper meaning in what you said. I flat out don't get what you've said. How useful do you think the Oscars are?
At last, something to reply to. In my personal experience and opinion, films that get Oscar nominations usually deserve them. Mind you, some movies get inexplicably ignored and some get hyped up beyond their actual worth, but I don't remember seeing a horrible movie get nominated. I'm willing to be proven wrong, but that means, to me, that I can at least expect oscar nominated movies to be worth my attention, assuming they're my type of movie in the first place.
__________________
"'Ought' statements are merely 'is' statements that beg the question." - PixyMisa

"When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force, my friends, is violence. The supreme authority from which all other authorities are derived." - Starship Troopers
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2013, 09:53 AM   #205
Polaris
Philosopher
 
Polaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 8,608
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
At last, something to reply to. In my personal experience and opinion, films that get Oscar nominations usually deserve them. Mind you, some movies get inexplicably ignored and some get hyped up beyond their actual worth, but I don't remember seeing a horrible movie get nominated. I'm willing to be proven wrong, but that means, to me, that I can at least expect oscar nominated movies to be worth my attention, assuming they're my type of movie in the first place.
Crash won Best Picture.
__________________
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2013, 10:22 AM   #206
sgtbaker
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,161
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
sgtbaker,

If I may offer my opinion...

Belz said:



You replied:



To which Belz responded:



And later by you after some additional back and forth (my hilite):



I think Belz' initial statement is quite clear in that he finds some utilty in using both the Oscar's and the ratings system in forming an intial opinion, but he thinks that the ratings system could be improved. You, apparently despite the hilited comment, are searching for some additional meaning (sarcasm etc) in Belz' statement that is simply not there. Perhaps you should just take his intitial comment at face value and move on.
So what are you trying to say?
sgtbaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2013, 10:39 AM   #207
sgtbaker
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,161
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
At last, something to reply to. In my personal experience and opinion, films that get Oscar nominations usually deserve them. Mind you, some movies get inexplicably ignored and some get hyped up beyond their actual worth, but I don't remember seeing a horrible movie get nominated. I'm willing to be proven wrong, but that means, to me, that I can at least expect oscar nominated movies to be worth my attention, assuming they're my type of movie in the first place.
I don't think that's something that could be proven. It works for you. My experience is that it's a crap shoot. Black Swan was alright, I loved The Hours, The Piano was pretty good, and I literally mourned the time I lost to Notes On A Scandal. For my particular taste, I find the mention of nominations or winning multiple awards doesn't move me in either direction.
sgtbaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2013, 11:43 AM   #208
Steve
Graduate Poster
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,653
Originally Posted by sgtbaker View Post
So what are you trying to say?
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2013, 12:36 PM   #209
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details...
Posts: 39,883
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Crash won Best Picture.
Your point ? I haven't seen the movie so your post is not self-evident.
__________________
"'Ought' statements are merely 'is' statements that beg the question." - PixyMisa

"When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force, my friends, is violence. The supreme authority from which all other authorities are derived." - Starship Troopers
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2013, 12:37 PM   #210
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details...
Posts: 39,883
Originally Posted by sgtbaker View Post
I don't think that's something that could be proven. It works for you. My experience is that it's a crap shoot. Black Swan was alright, I loved The Hours, The Piano was pretty good, and I literally mourned the time I lost to Notes On A Scandal. For my particular taste, I find the mention of nominations or winning multiple awards doesn't move me in either direction.
I didn't say it could be proven. It was a statement of opinion, as I explicitly said so.
__________________
"'Ought' statements are merely 'is' statements that beg the question." - PixyMisa

"When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force, my friends, is violence. The supreme authority from which all other authorities are derived." - Starship Troopers
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2013, 01:34 PM   #211
sgtbaker
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,161
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I didn't say it could be proven. It was a statement of opinion, as I explicitly said so.
I was just answering your statement, " I am willing to be proven wrong." It wasn't intended to be an argument.
sgtbaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2013, 01:36 PM   #212
Polaris
Philosopher
 
Polaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 8,608
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Your point ? I haven't seen the movie so your post is not self-evident.
My point is that it was a horrible movie that not only got nominated, it won the highest honor.
__________________
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2013, 01:53 PM   #213
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details...
Posts: 39,883
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
My point is that it was a horrible movie that not only got nominated, it won the highest honor.
It has good ratings, though. Are you sure you're not projecting your own tastes ?
__________________
"'Ought' statements are merely 'is' statements that beg the question." - PixyMisa

"When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force, my friends, is violence. The supreme authority from which all other authorities are derived." - Starship Troopers
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2013, 01:59 PM   #214
Polaris
Philosopher
 
Polaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 8,608
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
It has good ratings, though. Are you sure you're not projecting your own tastes ?
Of course I'm projecting my own tastes! Movies are subjective. But just because something's popular doesn't make it good. Lots of people eat at Burger King and watch The Jersey Shore, after all.

Likewise, just because a movie wins Best Picture doesn't mean it's good (see also: American Beauty and Shakespeare In Love). It just means usually that the movie's subject matter is politically correct enough for the Academy. Especially if it's a pretentious, predictable saccharine ****pile about racism.
__________________
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2013, 07:04 PM   #215
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details...
Posts: 39,883
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Of course I'm projecting my own tastes! Movies are subjective. But just because something's popular doesn't make it good. Lots of people eat at Burger King and watch The Jersey Shore, after all.

Likewise, just because a movie wins Best Picture doesn't mean it's good (see also: American Beauty and Shakespeare In Love). It just means usually that the movie's subject matter is politically correct enough for the Academy. Especially if it's a pretentious, predictable saccharine ****pile about racism.
I don't deny the politics involved, but there's usually at least technical merits to the nominees. That's what I meant by 'useful'.
__________________
"'Ought' statements are merely 'is' statements that beg the question." - PixyMisa

"When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force, my friends, is violence. The supreme authority from which all other authorities are derived." - Starship Troopers
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:17 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.