ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th July 2019, 01:52 PM   #41
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Who said the captain was unaware?
I think that was the point of my rhetorical question...
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 03:17 AM   #42
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
$1.3B @$50/gram = 26,000 kg, about 30 tons. One container full?

They only ship it in container loads because the expect to get away with it. You've got to bet big to win big.
All it means is that the importing is booming. They only ever get a fraction of the stuff that's coming into the country.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes

Last edited by a_unique_person; 13th July 2019 at 03:55 AM.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 03:40 AM   #43
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And the big time operations wuld not even try to sneak stuff over the land border if no other reason then it's hopelessly inefficient from a business point of view.
BTW just read that the FBI and the Bureau of Narctoics strongly believer that the Mexican Cartels pretty much have a agreement for distribution with a Certain Italian American Fraternal Organzation....of whom the Man In the White House has also been often accused of having dealings....
I think some of those who think a border wall will cure all ills really do not understand the logistics of trying to bring shipments across the US/Mexico border at places other than the Ports of Entry. Most of the places where you might reasonably get vehicles across the border are already walled or fenced off. Those places that aren't, would be so difficult to cross that it would cost the traffickers more than its worth.

Oh, you might get the occasional 4WD manage to get a few hundred pounds across, but that is peanuts by penny-ante operators compared with the tonnes that the cartels try to smuggle through ports of entry.

In fact, driving through rough country to remote locations to cross the border is so difficult, that they find these methods easier

Catapults attached to the wall to sling drugs over into the US................4WD vehicles using ramps - over the wall!

Tunnels hundreds of metres long - under the wall!..................................Submarines up the west and east coasts - around the wall!

Last edited by smartcooky; 13th July 2019 at 03:48 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 03:42 AM   #44
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
They seize your car if you come across the border with illegal drugs. They should seize this ship.

Fortunately, they did:
Would they blame the leasing company for the car if it had drugs in it though?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 03:44 AM   #45
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
If you're private citizens that can just take whatever they want from you just because they felt like it.

But this is JP Morgan, the bank so big it literally bailed out the US Government at one point.
They won't take the ship. They will arrest whichever crew members are responsible.

Do you actually think JP Morgan are organising drug running because a ship that they are involved in the chartering of had drugs aboard?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 03:47 AM   #46
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Yep! In fact, it's even worse than that. JPM bought a cargo ship as an investment, and then gave it to MSC so it could be put to work earning money.

So it'd be like attacking Warren Buffett for buying a bus and leasing it to Greyhound, because Greyhound doesn't search all its passengers before letting them board.

Forensic reasons crossed my mind, too. But from what little I know about containerized shipping, there's going to be nothing of forensic interest on the ship, about this container.

A truck rolls up, towing a container. A crane lifts the container onto a railroad car. The train takes the car across country to the port, where another crane lifts the container onto another truck, which then takes it to the dock. There, another crane lifts the container onto a stack of similar containers, among dozens of similar stacks, and the ship sets out for its next port of call. Assuming the container is traveling with forged documents to ensure proper routing and avoid customs inspections, the only forensic evidence they'll find on the ship is evidence of how container shipping works.

Which they should probably already know.

I suppose one possibility is that some of the ship's crew were complicit in the forgery, or were paid off to overlook discrepancies in the paperwork. Maybe "seizing the ship" is enforcement procedure for detaining the crew. I dunno. It all seems badly reported by CNN.

Which shouldn't be a surprise. CNN not being our friend and all.
It will have been arrested. Sounds strange to 'arrest' a ship but it's the only way they can detain a foreign flagged vessel while they investigate.

saying it has been 'seized' is misleading.
Old 15th July 2019, 11:04 AM   #47
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
If you're private citizens that can just take whatever they want from you just because they felt like it.

But this is JP Morgan, the bank so big it literally bailed out the US Government at one point.

When the government announced a zero terance policy, shipping owners worried their ships would be seized because some sailor had a marijuana cig on him.

I think the government should at least prove the shipping company knew their ships were being misused (much less were actively involved) before seizure.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 12:57 PM   #48
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
When the government announced a zero terance policy, shipping owners worried their ships would be seized because some sailor had a marijuana cig on him.

I think the government should at least prove the shipping company knew their ships were being misused (much less were actively involved) before seizure.
Yes, in the sense that powerless individuals are often trapped by similar "civil asset forfeiture."

No, in the sense that as long as the powerless are treated that way, megacorporate banks can choke on their crocodile tears.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 01:35 PM   #49
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

They should lace it with a very strong emetic that will cause projectile vomiting when used and then quietly release it onto the streets.
Watching everybody from the highest politicians, Wall Street bankers, and A-list celebrities, to local police, city officials, and your neighbors upchucking on You Tube will be ever so much fun.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 02:36 PM   #50
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
They should lace it with a very strong emetic that will cause projectile vomiting when used and then quietly release it onto the streets.
Watching everybody from the highest politicians, Wall Street bankers, and A-list celebrities, to local police, city officials, and your neighbors upchucking on You Tube will be ever so much fun.
Have you seen Kingsman: The Golden Circle? That's pretty much what happens, only instead of emetic they put in some paralyzing agent or some such nonsense.

I agree though, it would be like in my high school when they announced a drug dog was in the parking lot. All of a sudden the next period's classroom attendance would get real light.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 05:22 PM   #51
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Have you seen Kingsman: The Golden Circle? That's pretty much what happens, only instead of emetic they put in some paralyzing agent or some such nonsense.

I agree though, it would be like in my high school when they announced a drug dog was in the parking lot. All of a sudden the next period's classroom attendance would get real light.
... combined with the continuous sound of toilet cisterns being flushed?
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM   #52
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post

There was a Spider-Man comic in which Doctor Octopus was going to spray the entire country with a chemical that would make everyone immune to the effects of cocaine. He was planning to then get rich by selling the antidote to wealthy celebrities, stock brokers, bankers, politicians, etc.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM   #53
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
Watching everybody from the highest politicians, Wall Street bankers, and A-list celebrities, to local police, city officials, and your neighbors upchucking on You Tube will be ever so much fun. : D
More wit and wisdom from the "prison rape? more like prison justice!" school of public policy.

---

I was gonna say it sounds like something a heinous villain would come up with, but I've already been double-ninja'd.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events