IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th August 2023, 03:09 AM   #1
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Russia's Luna-25 spacecraft crashes into Moon

Special lunar operation successfully intercepted the moon

It went in to rinse cycle too early

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66562629
Old 20th August 2023, 03:30 AM   #2
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Quote:
"The apparatus moved into an unpredictable orbit and ceased to exist as a result of a collision with the surface of the Moon," it said in a statement.
So there was nothing left of it at all?
Old 20th August 2023, 03:32 AM   #3
jeremyp
Illuminator

My favourite quote from the story

Quote:
No country has ever landed on the Moon's south pole before, although both the US and China have landed softly on the Moon's surface.
I gather Neil Armstrong was quite relieved about that.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2023, 03:36 AM   #4
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

To be fair Russia has landed a number of times and successfully returned lunar samples
Old 20th August 2023, 04:55 AM   #5
tusenfem
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
it was probably manufactured of anti-moon material
Old 20th August 2023, 06:00 AM   #6
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

According to the rabid flat-earthers, there is no "space". The moon hangs, Truman-like, from some rigging beneath the crystal dome. So all these "moon landings" are CGI.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2023, 06:26 AM   #7
Lukraak_Sisser
Philosopher

It was a legitimate target as the light of the moon also shibes on Ukraine.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2023, 06:45 AM   #8
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
According to the rabid flat-earthers, there is no "space". The moon hangs, Truman-like, from some rigging beneath the crystal dome. So all these "moon landings" are CGI.
Not only that, but according to the ancient Greeks, the moon is a chariot driven across the night sky by Selene. So all these "moon landings" are manifestations of her mortal lover, Endymion, just as cosmic ray strikes are manifestations of her lover Pan.
Old 20th August 2023, 09:56 AM   #9
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Andy_Ross View Post
To be fair Russia has landed a number of times and successfully returned lunar samples
Nitpick: The USSR did. Russia, as such, has not.
Old 20th August 2023, 10:54 AM   #10
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Nitpick: The USSR did. Russia, as such, has not.
Counterpoint: The USSR was just a period of Russkiy Mir with Marxist trappings, forming a continuous narrative with the Russian Empire before it and the Russian Federation after it. "Russia" is thus a reasonable shorthand, and doesn't need to be nit-picked.
Old 20th August 2023, 11:15 AM   #11
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
My favourite quote from the story

Quote:
No country has ever landed on the Moon's south pole before, although both the US and China have landed softly on the Moon's surface.
I gather Neil Armstrong was quite relieved about that.

"It’s not a question of whose habitat it is, it’s a question of how fast you hit it!" - Arthur Dent.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2023, 11:26 AM   #12
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

My bet was wrong - I said the Indian one would crash.

Must have had the tarot cards upside down.
Old 20th August 2023, 02:04 PM   #13
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

They successfully achieved 100% conversion of matter to energy!

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2023, 03:38 PM   #14
Wolrab
Illuminator

It wasn't Luna's fault. She beeped.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2023, 06:45 PM   #15
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Not only that, but according to the ancient Greeks, the moon is a chariot driven across the night sky by Selene. So all these "moon landings" are manifestations of her mortal lover, Endymion, just as cosmic ray strikes are manifestations of her lover Pan.
Rowr!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2023, 07:42 PM   #16
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

There's a trend, quite possibly started by Elon, of using euphemisms for unsuccessful manoeuvres. Geobraking operation. Rapid unplanned disassembly. The apparatus ceased to exist.

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2023, 09:40 PM   #17
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

More likely it's just the normal term for this sort of thing, in the original Russian, and the cromulence is lost in translation.
Old 21st August 2023, 12:28 AM   #18
erwinl
Illuminator

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
There's a trend, quite possibly started by Elon, of using euphemisms for unsuccessful manoeuvres. Geobraking operation. Rapid unplanned disassembly. The apparatus ceased to exist.
The first time I heard these terms, was from Scot Manley, in the time, when he was very active in Kerbal Space Program.
I have no idea, where he originally got these from, or whether it originates with him, but that is my association with these terms.
Old 21st August 2023, 01:00 AM   #19
jeremyp
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Counterpoint: The USSR was just a period of Russkiy Mir with Marxist trappings, forming a continuous narrative with the Russian Empire before it and the Russian Federation after it. "Russia" is thus a reasonable shorthand, and doesn't need to be nit-picked.
Counter counterpoint. The USSR was significantly larger than Russia is today, including as it did - amongst other places - Ukraine. Ukraine held a significant proportion of the USSR's manufacturing capability and natural resources. The country of Russia is much diminished since the heady days of the Soviet Union.

Given Russia's current situation, I'm impressed that Luna 25 even got off the ground.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2023, 02:45 AM   #20
Gulliver Foyle
Illuminator

My first thought on seeing these reports yesterday was, "did it even get off the ground?"
Old 21st August 2023, 02:49 AM   #21
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by erwinl View Post
The first time I heard these terms, was from Scot Manley, in the time, when he was very active in Kerbal Space Program.
I have no idea, where he originally got these from, or whether it originates with him, but that is my association with these terms.
'Lithobraking', as opposed to 'Geobraking', has been used in aerospace since the '60s, though as a deliberate maneuver.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2023, 04:07 AM   #22
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

The unpowered vehicle has right of way over the powered one.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2023, 06:04 AM   #23
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

And there goes 50% of Russia's supply of transistors.
Old 21st August 2023, 06:12 AM   #24
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
The unpowered vehicle has right of way over the powered one.
"Een my contry, satellite crash you!"

(OK, that's a reference that's maybe 30 years out of date. Considering the average age of our members, at least a few should get it. )
Old 21st August 2023, 11:43 AM   #25
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by erwinl View Post
This is all I can think of whenever I hear, "cease to exist"...

From an insignificant little movie from 1953, (Jump to 3 minutes in for the line from Dr. Forester.).

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by Mike!; 21st August 2023 at 11:52 AM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2023, 03:44 PM   #26
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

This is all I can think of whenever I hear, "cease to exist"...

From an insignificant little movie from 1953, (Jump to 3 minutes in for the line from Dr. Forester.).

Also used in the dialog between Kirk and the "Companion" alien in the episode "Metamorphosis." Transcript here, couldn't find a video clip.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology