IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , vaccination , vaccines

Closed Thread
Old 3rd August 2022, 01:38 PM   #2281
marting
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
It does show that prior infection builds a better wall, but at the cost of a lot more deaths overall.
Right. The much higher cumulative infections in most other countries (US, UK, EU) has combined with vaccination to create fairly strong hybrid immunity so lower deaths from BA.5 but at a steep cost already paid.

Places like AU and NZ getting hit somewhat harder with BA.5. Vaxed but not as much prior infection so more immune escape. Still pretty low IFR rates compared to the variants before Omicron.

Here in California, new infections are declining along with positivity rates. BA.4/5 is now 95% of all infections with a tiny bit of prior variants continuing to decline. Nothing new to challenge them. Looking good for the next several months and with luck more. If nothing new shows up in the next few months the odds of a more transmissible variant popping up get much smaller as it's proportional to the number infected worldwide.

On another note: Remember this report of pandemic preparedness that came out in late 2019?

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/...ess-pandemics/

USA and UK ranked #1 and 2. ROFLMAO

We here in the States continue to imagine outselves as #1 in all things. Not very smart, IMO.
Old 3rd August 2022, 06:33 PM   #2282
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by marting View Post
Places like AU and NZ getting hit somewhat harder with BA.5. Vaxed but not as much prior infection so more immune escape. Still pretty low IFR rates compared to the variants before Omicron.
I'm fairly sure we've both turned the corner and the worst of the wave is behind us.

On another note: Remember this report of pandemic preparedness that came out in late 2019?

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/...ess-pandemics/

We here in the States continue to imagine outselves as #1 in all things. Not very smart, IMO.
Well, you do rank #1.

Just not quite in the way the report suggested.
Old 3rd August 2022, 06:53 PM   #2283
marting
Illuminator

I'm fairly sure we've both turned the corner and the worst of the wave is behind us.
Lack of competing variants is looking good. Eric Topol also notes this.

Quote:
This is as good as we can ask right now. No major new variant being detected that has the potential to compete with BA.5. Subject to change, of course, but at least this should provide a respite.
https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status...48327845679105

Yes!
Old 3rd August 2022, 08:17 PM   #2284
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

And it needs to be noted that to seriously compete, a new variant would need to be more infectious than BA5, and since 2.75 hasn't, I don't believe we'll see one.

I'm now quite sure this is the end game. There will be minor waves now and then, but not the crippling numbers we've seen so far. Right now, infection totals are dropping fast, as are deaths.

I think it's time to crack the champagne and toast the demise of covid!
Old 4th August 2022, 03:36 AM   #2285
Lplus
Master Poster

And it needs to be noted that to seriously compete, a new variant would need to be more infectious than BA5, and since 2.75 hasn't, I don't believe we'll see one.

I'm now quite sure this is the end game. There will be minor waves now and then, but not the crippling numbers we've seen so far. Right now, infection totals are dropping fast, as are deaths.

I think it's time to crack the champagne and toast the demise of covid!
It would seem likely that there must be some sort of upper limit to infectiousness due to the limits of human biology.
Lplus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2022, 03:01 PM   #2286
marting
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Lplus View Post
It would seem likely that there must be some sort of upper limit to infectiousness due to the limits of human biology.
It's a combination of immune escape and intrinsic infectiousness. And mutations are random processes. The probability of gene changes is a function of the number infected at any given time. A genetic sequence change that survives from a single infected individual is not uncommon and fully sequencing cases that occur from exposure to one person (index patient) they can often be tracked and isolated from infections that arose elsewhere.

The more infections that are extant at any given time, the higher the probability that a large mutation set will occur that is more fit. "Fitness" is relative to the current state of immunity from prior infections as well as vaccination.

As BA.5 peaks and declines from that peak around the World, the probability of a more fit variant will decrease. Also, the more time that goes by as a disease evolves, the more likely the disease will be stuck in a local minimum (sorry for the math term) and is unable to generate mutations that will kick it out of that local minimum.

But, unlike T cells, antibody immunity is short lived similar to coronavirus common colds.

If a month goes by without some new variant exhibiting higher fitness against the immunity wall BA.5 and its predecessors produced, the more likely it is that this is the end of the pandemic stage and we will enter a longer, lower level of ebb and flow as SARS-CoV-2 joins the other circulating coronaviruses.
Old 4th August 2022, 07:19 PM   #2287
marting
Illuminator

UK's ONS report on long covid

Prevalence of ongoing symptoms following coronavirus (COVID-19) infection in the UK: 4 August 2022

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...uk/4august2022

As of 2 July 2022, 5.0% of people who were not in and not looking for paid work were experiencing self-reported long COVID. This was higher than for the other employment statuses: unemployed (3.5%), employed (3.3%), retired (2.9%) and students (1.7%).

Lancet Study:
Persistence of somatic symptoms after COVID-19 in the Netherlands: an observational cohort study
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...214-4/fulltext

Last edited by marting; 4th August 2022 at 08:03 PM. Reason: add Lancet LC study
marting is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2022, 08:24 PM   #2288
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

UK's ONS report on long covid
Still a lot of questions unanswered.

From the Dutch study:

Quote:
Nevertheless, our study cannot provide definitive information on the underlying mechanisms driving post-COVID-19-related symptoms.
Sounds way too much like CFS/ME for my liking.

More research needed.

Last edited by The Atheist; 4th August 2022 at 08:41 PM.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2022, 08:42 PM   #2289
marting
Illuminator

More research needed.
It's fundamentally a hard problem. Confounders galore and there really is no way adjust for most of them.

What's needed are specific objective measures that correlate to the myriad symptoms. Not a lot to date.

But yeah, more research is needed. I think we are at the turning point where research in this area will get more resources as the pandemic winds down. Should know a lot more in the next year.
Old 4th August 2022, 09:51 PM   #2290
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

FWIW, IIRC, the indicators to get that #1 were reasonable. It's just that they didn't account for sabotage leadership and traitorous propaganda. Having a good plan prepared is an excellent part of preparedness ratings, for example. It's just pretty worthless in practice when it's not actually used.
Old 5th August 2022, 11:30 AM   #2291
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Sounds way too much like CFS/ME for my liking.
Yes, there do seem to be a lot of similarities. The suspicion is that there is a dysfunction in the mitochondria as a result of the viral infection. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7680046/
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 12:55 PM   #2292
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Yes, there do seem to be a lot of similarities. The suspicion is that there is a dysfunction in the mitochondria as a result of the viral infection. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7680046/
Dear old Warren Tate. I referenced him in my ME/CFS thread a few years back. Warren has been the leading voice in ME research, which is appropriate since it was known as Tapanui 'Flu for a while, and that's just down the road from him.

The whole thing smacks of a medical "god of the gaps" attempt to find an answer in the only place we can't discount.

The conclusion gives the game away:

Quote:
A vicious circle exists: without a biochemical diagnostic test it is difficult to be certain which patients have ME/CFS and not another fatigue illness with overlapping symptoms, but determining a valid test requires identifying an homogenous group of test subjects. If ME/CFS is indeed a state of CoQ10 deficiency – particularly in high energy-demand organs like the brain – then an effective way of assessing CoQ10 is needed.
It looks more and more to me like both ME/CFS and long covid should be returned to the DSM until an actual physical mechanism is found.
Old 6th August 2022, 01:34 AM   #2293
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...eat-long-covid
https://www.atsjournals.org/doi/full....202108-1903LE
https://www.zrtlab.com/blog/archive/...dysregulation/
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th August 2022, 12:49 PM   #2294
marting
Illuminator

Subvariant of BA.4, BA4.6, is popping up and showing some degree of increase. Less than half the rate of earlier variant increases at similar points in time. Looks like about a 5 to 10% increase per week overall but given the declining net incidence will likely slow the overall prevalence decline in the next month or so. Too soon to tell what its current Rt is. Most likely slight above 1.0. Could produce another, smaller wave a few months from now.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...nt-proportions

BA.4.6 has a similar mutation to BA.1.1 so its impact in different countries may depend on what prior waves have been seen.
Old 6th August 2022, 03:43 PM   #2295
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Speculative.

Quote:
While mitochondria are not the main driving factor in any of these diseases, they are thought to be a key secondary factor. “The majority of heart failure or cardiac dysfunction is believed to be mediated by mitochondrial dysfunction involving the heart,” says Raman.

As a result, if mitochondrial drugs prove effective in long Covid and ME/CFS, they may have applications in other illnesses, while mitochondrial DNA editing to understand the effects of various mutations could shed further light on how the ageing process manifests in our cells.
Then...

Quote:
Our study has several limitations, including a small cohort size, retrospective methodology, and lack of a contemporaneous control, relying on comparisons with historical cohorts that have distinct demographics. Therefore, our findings may not be generalizable and should be considered hypothesis-generating.
ok....

Srsly?

It's a blog.

Written by one Dr. Tracy Tranchitella, who received her naturopathic doctorate degree in 1998 from Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine.

Seems legit.

(bolding mine throughout)
Old 8th August 2022, 08:09 PM   #2296
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

If anyone's been keeping watch, covid numbers have fallen off a cliff in the past 10 days, right across the world.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Old 9th August 2022, 12:36 AM   #2297
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I think the current wave in Japan (the 7th) got started a little later than in other parts. Doesn't seem to have peaked here quite yet, but based on the effective reproduction number, it should peak soon. Compared to the previous wave, active cases are close to 2 million, whereas they never reached 1 million in the last wave. Nevertheless, deaths still seem to be lower than in the last wave.

It continues a trend of higher infectivity, but lower mortality.

https://toyokeizai.net/sp/visual/tko/covid19/en.html

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/japan

Apparently Our World in Data stopped updating the positivity rate of Covid tests as of June 23rd, 2022. That's too bad. My back of the envelope calculation from the Toyo Keizai data is that over 80% of the Covid tests have been positive in the last 10 days in Japan. 80%. Which means most people testing are testing positive.
Old 11th August 2022, 09:42 AM   #2298
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Daily new cases in the UK according to the ZOE Covid Symptom study have been dropping, but the rate of decline has levelled off in the last couple of days. Have to wait and see if they stay level, drop or go up again.
Old 11th August 2022, 09:49 AM   #2299
Lplus
Master Poster

Daily new cases in the UK according to the ZOE Covid Symptom study have been dropping, but the rate of decline has levelled off in the last couple of days. Have to wait and see if they stay level, drop or go up again.
Is there another superinfectious variant on the horizon? That might be the deciding factor.
Lplus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 03:57 PM   #2300
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

CDC drops quarantine, distancing recommendations for COVID
Old 12th August 2022, 06:26 PM   #2301
marting
Illuminator

Bob Wachter

Best news: no nasty new variant poised to take place of BA.5 (tho BA.4.6 bears watching). If this holds: 1) we should enjoy a Fall lull; & 2) new BA.5-specific booster (rolling out in Sept.) will work better than if it was confronting a new foe.
Enjoy your end-of-summer!

https://twitter.com/Bob_Wachter/stat...34980706164736
Old 14th August 2022, 07:20 AM   #2302
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

They've been around 120k for the last three or four days.
Old 15th August 2022, 03:25 PM   #2303
marting
Illuminator

New paper in Cell Reports Medicine showing BCG has high efficacy against Covid-19 from vaccination 2 to 3 years earlier. Small "N" but strong efficacy hence low p values. Population tested had type I diabetes.

https://www.cell.com/cell-reports-me...22)00271-3.pdf

This DBRCT was tacked on to a 5 year, DBRCT study of BCG vaccinations against a wide range of disease. When Covid-19 popped up in 2020, they added PCR and antibody tests to the group they were following. BCG vaccinations were highly effective against Coivd-19.

Summary:
Quote:
There is a need for safe and effective platform vaccines to protect against COVID-19 and other infectious diseases. In this randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled Phase 2/3 trial, we evaluate the safety and efficacy of multi-dose Bacillus Calmette-Guerin (BCG) vaccine for prevention of COVID-19 and other infectious disease in a COVID-19-unvaccinated, at-riskcommunity-based cohort. The at-risk population are adults with type 1 diabetes. We enrolled 144 subjects and randomized 96 to BCG and 48 to placebo. There were no drop-outs over the 15-month trial. A cumulative incidence of 12.5% of placebo-treated and 1% of BCG-treated participants meets criteria for confirmed COVID-19, yielding an efficacy of 92%. The BCG group also displays fewer infectious disease symptoms and lesser severity, and fewer infectious disease events per patient, including COVID-19.There is a need for safe and effective platform vaccines to protect against COVID-19 and other infectious diseases. In this randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled Phase 2/3 trial, we evaluate the safety and efficacy of multi-dose Bacillus Calmette-Guerin (BCG) vaccine for prevention of COVID-19 and other infectious disease in a COVID-19-unvaccinated, at-riskcommunity-based cohort. The at-risk population are adults with type 1 diabetes. We enrolled 144 subjects and randomized 96 to BCG and 48 to placebo. There were no drop-outs over the 15-month trial. A cumulative incidence of 12.5% of placebo-treated and 1% of BCG-treated participants meets criteria for confirmed COVID-19, yielding an efficacy of 92%. The BCG group also displays fewer infectious disease symptoms and lesser severity, and fewer infectious disease events per patient, including COVID-19.
Old 15th August 2022, 04:10 PM   #2304
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Interesting. Note that BCG, which I think is supposed to be for tuberculosis, is commonly given in Japan. Could this possibly be a reason why mortality here was about 1/10th of that in North America and Europe?
Old 15th August 2022, 04:21 PM   #2305
marting
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Interesting. Note that BCG, which I think is supposed to be for tuberculosis, is commonly given in Japan. Could this possibly be a reason why mortality here was about 1/10th of that in North America and Europe?
There was discussion in the article about exactly that! And note, the BCG type used in this USA trial is the one used in Japan.

Quote:
BCG strain differences for other off-target indications are important and this strain of BCG exhibits some of the highest in vitro potency and is highly immunogenic 52-57. Indeed it is now appreciated that Japan as a country with mandatory BCG vaccines and one of the oldest populations in the world has remarkable resistance to COVID-19

Last edited by marting; 15th August 2022 at 04:33 PM.
marting is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th August 2022, 05:45 PM   #2306
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

And meanwhile in Shanghai, just published 14 hours ago:

Shanghai Covid: Ikea shoppers flee attempt to lock down store

Quote:
There were chaotic scenes at an Ikea store in Shanghai on Saturday, with shoppers trying to escape as authorities tried to quarantine them.

Health officials were attempting to lock the store in Xuhui district down as a customer had been in close contact with a positive Covid case.

Videos show the guards closing the doors at one point, but a crowd forced them open and made their escape.

Shanghai endured a severe two-month lockdown earlier this year.

Since then, in line with the country's strict "zero-Covid" strategy, the city of 20 million people has ordered flash lockdowns of areas where positive cases or their close contacts have been detected.

Many have been locked down in unusual locations - including hot pot restaurants, gyms and offices.

The Ikea store's sudden shutdown was ordered because a close contact of a six-year-old boy who tested positive after returning to Shanghai from Lhasa in Tibet had visited, Shanghai Health Commission deputy director Zhao Dandan said on Sunday.
Isn't this bizarre? It's hard to fathom living like this. You could be shopping at a store or visiting an office on business at one moment, and then find yourself trapped there in a "flash lockdown" the next moment because a "close contact" of someone who tested positive had been at the same location a few hours earlier.

Quote:
China has stuck to its zero-Covid approach to slowing the spread of the coronavirus despite its huge impact on the economy and increasingly vocal objection from the public.
In Japan I saw a sort of public-service announcement on TV yesterday about how it's OK to take off your mask outdoors. There's still a majority of people here who wear masks even outside. Some people apparently prefer it that way now, and just wear them all the time, at least when out in public. This summer has been one of the hottest here, and possibly the hottest ever. And wearing a mask makes it feel even hotter, so I take mine off when outdoors. Someone has to set an example and it may as well be me. I actually appreciate that PSA.
Old 15th August 2022, 05:53 PM   #2307
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

There was discussion in the article about exactly that! And note, the BCG type used in this USA trial is the one used in Japan.
Wow. This article is amazing. All I knew was that it was for tuberculosis, but check this out:

Quote:
The BCG vaccine is a >100-year old vaccine originally developed for tuberculosis protection. It is heralded as the safest vaccine ever developed, with 3-4 billion people already vaccinated and an annual 120 million newborns vaccinated 1. It is highly affordable at about 10-75 cents/dose.
Over the last 17 years, randomized clinical trials and epidemiology studies have shown that the BCG vaccine protects humans from a multitude of infections, including upper respiratory tract infections, leprosy, malaria, viral, and bacterial infections 2-16.
That's less than the price of a bottle of soda pop. This must be the most cost-effective thing we could spend our money on. Why on God's Green Earth isn't this being given to every baby born on the planet?

Why on earth isn't this vaccine given universally?
Old 15th August 2022, 05:59 PM   #2308
marting
Illuminator

Isn't this bizarre? It's hard to fathom living like this. You could be shopping at a store or visiting an office on business at one moment, and then find yourself trapped there in a "flash lockdown" the next moment because a "close contact" of someone who tested positive had been at the same location a few hours earlier.
Really, China's whack-a-mole is only possible because everyone has a color coded smart phone needed to enter malls, theaters, transportation. A side effect is that they know exactly where everyone has been. They will be traced, quarantined, and repeatedly tested. I'm actually surprised they have been largely able to contain Omicron with the large land borders and such. But they have and use tools that enable the required control. But how long can they keep this up? It's got to be wearing them down and seems to have a cost that will never end.
Old 15th August 2022, 06:02 PM   #2309
marting
Illuminator

Wow. This article is amazing. All I knew was that it was for tuberculosis, but check this out:
That's less than the price of a bottle of soda pop. This must be the most cost-effective thing we could spend our money on. Why on God's Green Earth isn't this being given to every baby born on the planet?

The possible broad effect of multiple doses of BCG at preventing a large number of diseases was the theory behind that trial that started 5 years ago. Looks really promising. Looking forward to completion of the companion trial.
Old 15th August 2022, 08:39 PM   #2310
DallasDad
Graduate Poster

BCG is the most common TB vaccine given in Russia and eastern former Soviet states. How did those areas of the world fare? (Both of my kids, born in Ukraine, had BCG.)
DallasDad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th August 2022, 08:55 PM   #2311
marting
Illuminator

Originally Posted by DallasDad View Post
BCG is the most common TB vaccine given in Russia and eastern former Soviet states. How did those areas of the world fare? (Both of my kids, born in Ukraine, had BCG.)
The study has links to other studies that have looked into BCG with mixed results. Might be some info on these countries.

What was unique to this study is the DBRCT aspect, that 3 shots were given 2 years before Covid-19 because they were interested to see if this would produce strong, general, response to a range of respiratory diseases. There are many different BCG strains. They picked a particular strain of BCG, used in Japan, that elicits a strong immune response. This was done in the USA because there is little TB extant and virtually no BCG vaccination in the population. The intent was to see if this protocol would reduce disease, not Covid-19 per se. Covid-19 just happened to come along at an opportune time, so they added a side study.

IT's a fascinating study and well worth looking at the various graphs and heat maps.
Old 15th August 2022, 09:03 PM   #2312
DallasDad
Graduate Poster

Interesting. Thanks for explaining.
DallasDad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2022, 09:00 AM   #2313
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Originally Posted by DallasDad View Post
East Europe countries have one of the worst case numbers and mortality in the world.

https://ourworldindata.org/explorers...VK~POL~DEU~USA
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2022, 11:10 AM   #2314
ZirconBlue
Sole Survivor of L-Town

If you're going to be suddenly quarantined, IKEA would be a good place to be locked in. Lots of beds, and a decent amount of food. Swedish Meatballs for everyone!
The numbers look the same on their credit cards.
ZirconBlue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2022, 12:52 PM   #2315
marting
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
East Europe countries have one of the worst case numbers and mortality in the world.

https://ourworldindata.org/explorers...VK~POL~DEU~USA
Strains of BCG vary considerably around the World. Also, they were rolled out at different times. Peru, for instance rolled out BCG in 1962 but has the highest Covid-19 IFR in the world at .6%. However, few people 60 y/o or older were BCG vaccinated.

There's quite a lot of country variation in efficacy against even TB which is what BCG is for.

The Cell study wasn't targeting TB or Covid-19 (which didn't exist at the time) but general lung infections and the study planned to evaluate multiple (3 or more), BCG vaccinations against general lung diseases for adults with type I diabetes over 5 years. When Covid-19 showed up a few years after the study start, they extended the study to include Covid-19 infections with both PCR and antibody tests on their study groups.

The BCG vaccine chosen to study in the USA is the one used in Japan and was chosen because it elicited high antibody responses. That it's point efficacy against Covid-19 was >90% was clearly a surprise. However, the N was small so the CI spread is large and it may even be due to randomness. There is about a 1% chance actual C19 efficacy is 30% or less according to the paper.

This will obviously spur a lot of research including analysis of prior BCG type and vaccination history. An obvious line of research is looking at the impact of IFR/age and the year vaccinations were started along with the specific strain of BCG.

Might be a wild goose chase, might be game changer. Especially if it also reduces general lung disease too which seems quite possible given the study's non-covid results to date.

Here's a public database on Worldwide BCG usage:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3062527/
Old 17th August 2022, 01:14 AM   #2316
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

There is about a 1% chance actual C19 efficacy is 30% or less according to the paper.
We'll see I guess. Of course, there's plenty of reasons to be cautious, including the small study population and the fact that it's only one study.

Still, 99% is pretty darn good. 95% confidence is the standard scientific threshold for significance, and 99% is is 80% higher than that. Just as long as there's no funny business going on behind the scenes. (Another reason for caution. It's unfortunate that we also have to be on our guard these days for the possibility of outright fraud.)
Old 19th August 2022, 04:33 PM   #2317
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Might be a wild goose chase, might be game changer. Especially if it also reduces general lung disease too which seems quite possible given the study's non-covid results to date.
My wife and I have laughed about the BCG a few times.

It was given at school, and I don't recall anyone not getting it, or even questioning it. Nowadays it couldn't be done. That was 1973 and only 23 years after a personage as great as Orwell died of the disease, so it was taken seriously.

I went to an all-boys school, where we had a neat tradition on BCG day. After vaccination, which took place in the 4th form, (Year 9/8th Grade) the boys from the year above us went round punching everyone who'd been vaccinated on the injection site.

I hope that activated the vaccine even more, because while the injection didn't hurt, being punched on the arm 50 times sure did.

Be sure I'm following that research with interest.
Old 19th August 2022, 06:37 PM   #2318
DetectedMotion
Thinker

That is a very good question because early on in 2020 there was discussion about BCG drug used for tuberculosis (Even before Convalescent plasma) as a possibility to treat Covid patients. I never heard about it again soon after that, Remdesiver, Moderna and Phizer became the main names thrown out there afterwards.

Last edited by DetectedMotion; 19th August 2022 at 06:44 PM.
DetectedMotion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th August 2022, 06:58 PM   #2319
marting
Illuminator

Theraputics provide significant benefits to the vaccinated. Previous data was relative to unvaccinated.

Oral Nirmatrelvir and Ritonavir in Non-hospitalized Vaccinated Patients with Covid-19

https://academic.oup.com/cid/advance...iac673/6672670

Quote:
Results
After propensity score matching, 1,130 patients remained in each cohort. A primary composite outcome of all-cause ER visits, hospitalization, or death in 30 days occurred in 89 (7.87%) patients in the NMV-r cohort as compared to 163 (14.4%) patients in the non-NMV-r cohort (OR 18 0.5, CI 0.39-0.67; p<0.005) consistent with 45% relative risk reduction. A significant reduction in multisystem symptom burden and subsequent complications such as lower respiratory tract infection, cardiac arrhythmia, and diagnostic radiology testing were noted in NMV-r treated patients. There was no apparent increase serious complications between days 10 to 30.

Last edited by marting; 20th August 2022 at 07:00 PM.
Old 20th August 2022, 08:12 PM   #2320
marting
Illuminator

Excess deaths in UK.

Recently the Telegraph had a piece on the increase in excess deaths well beyond that ascribed to Covid.

Here's a piece in the Spectator exploring different possibilities including increasing wait times for hospital admission.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...excess-deaths-

Twitter thead dissing The Telegaph for blaming lockdown when that ended a year ago:
https://twitter.com/ActuaryByDay/sta...27181637472256

It's quite odd. No similar effect seen in the USA's excess death charts.
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c...ess_deaths.htm

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology