ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th May 2018, 10:52 AM   #1
Stankeye
Thinker

White woman denied bathroom use - Has solution

Apparently denying bathroom use is a thing. This woman had an interesting solution.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...age/618333002/
Stankeye is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 11:11 AM   #2
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I wonder what she did previously?

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 11:21 AM   #3
Steve
Illuminator

This was a local event. Less that 10 miles from my home. Not the nicest news story to come on tv while I was eating breakfast . Mildly amusing, but I do feel for the people in the restaurant at the time.
Old 17th May 2018, 11:34 AM   #4
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

This is the down side of PC-ness. If a place ;lets somebody use the rest room,. the rest room has to be able to accommodate people in wheel chairs. So rather than permit most customers to use it, they would have to spend thousands to upgrade. So now, instead of only the handicapped not accommodated, we all are dis-accommodated. It's called Equality by Legislation. Anybody read "Harrison Bergeron"?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 11:40 AM   #5
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
This is the down side of PC-ness. If a place ;lets somebody use the rest room,. the rest room has to be able to accommodate people in wheel chairs. So rather than permit most customers to use it, they would have to spend thousands to upgrade. So now, instead of only the handicapped not accommodated, we all are dis-accommodated. It's called Equality by Legislation. Anybody read "Harrison Bergeron"?
Does this have anything to do with the OP other than the word "bathroom"?

He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 11:56 AM   #6
mgidm86
Illuminator

What does her being white have to do with it?
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 11:57 AM   #7
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
It's quite the fashion to put white or black in the thread title these days.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 12:02 PM   #8
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
It's quite the fashion to put white or black in the thread title these days.
And "while" (instead of whilst). Still, better than "responsible_____owner" I guess.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 12:06 PM   #9
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
And "while" (instead of whilst). Still, better than "responsible_____owner" I guess.
Thanks for the reminder . . . . off to start some new threads.

Old 17th May 2018, 12:10 PM   #10
Matthew Best
Philosopher

And "while" (instead of whilst).
They mean the same thing.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 12:29 PM   #11
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
"whilst" is just about never used by Americans.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 12:43 PM   #12
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I wonder what she did previously?
Yeah, "previous behavior" is pretty vague, but I think we get the idea.

Discrimination based on mental illness is a grey area for me. Seems unfair in principle, but I understand there may be a greater, practical, social benefit.

This restaurant probably had to shut down for hours to restore food preparation cleanliness.
Old 17th May 2018, 12:57 PM   #13
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
Yeah, "previous behavior" is pretty vague, but I think we get the idea.

Discrimination based on mental illness is a grey area for me. Seems unfair in principle, but I understand there may be a greater, practical, social benefit.

This restaurant probably had to shut down for hours to restore food preparation cleanliness.
If it were an American chain I'd make some dig about it actually only taking a few minutes, but who can be mean to Tim Horton's.

Old 17th May 2018, 01:00 PM   #14
madurobob
Philosopher

If it were an American chain I'd make some dig about it actually only taking a few minutes, but who can be mean to Tim Horton's.
Aren't they owned by Burger King now, or is the other way round?
Old 17th May 2018, 01:01 PM   #15
madurobob
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Except whilst showing one's pretension.
(eta: preferably with a terrible attempt at a British accent)

Last edited by madurobob; 17th May 2018 at 01:03 PM.
madurobob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 01:03 PM   #16
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

//Slight hijack//

Taking a step back and not specifically referring to this or any other recent case but the whole right to just use any bathroom you come across being an increasingly popular opinion is just... weird to me. Like the idea that it's some horrible violation conceptually to not let someone use a bathroom.
Old 17th May 2018, 01:04 PM   #17
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by madurobob View Post
Aren't they owned by Burger King now, or is the other way round?
Burger King got the majority share (51%) in the merger.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 01:06 PM   #18
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

One of Canada's recent sorrows is that Tim's is now a division of Burger King, and technically Brazilian owned.
Old 17th May 2018, 01:09 PM   #19
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
//Slight hijack//

Taking a step back and not specifically referring to this or any other recent case but the whole right to just use any bathroom you come across being an increasingly popular opinion is just... weird to me. Like the idea that it's some horrible violation conceptually to not let someone use a bathroom.
I don't know if it's a new topic. My dad's aunt (my great aunt?) won a lawsuit about it in North Vancouver in the 1970s. $10k, which was a lotta cabbage back then.
Old 17th May 2018, 01:10 PM   #20
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
One of Canada's recent sorrows is that Tim's is now a division of Burger King, and technically Brazilian owned.
I don't think I'll ever be able to return to your snowy wasteland of a country ever again.

Other than the nice parts, of course.

Old 17th May 2018, 01:13 PM   #21
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

//Slight hijack//

Public restrooms tend to be an annoyance for anyone who has to clean it up. The local AM/PM market had a junkie OD in the restroom a few months back.

Looking at that video, I suspect the woman is either a street person or a hooker; she's definitely crazy.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 01:32 PM   #22
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Public restrooms tend to be an annoyance for anyone who has to clean it up. The local AM/PM market had a junkie OD in the restroom a few months back.
I did 7 years as housekeeping at St Paul's Hospital, graveyard shift. Entire hospital, just me for 8 hours. The only active zone that time of night is Emerg, and they had three washrooms. I swear to god, I spent 5 hours of that 7.0 hour shift cleaning them in rotation. The human body is quite the poop factory. And don't get me started on charcoal.

When my wife and I decided to have children, it was obvious who would be on diaper duty. I have become inured.

tip: "Always check the ceiling."

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Looking at that video, I suspect the woman is either a street person or a hooker; she's definitely crazy.
Basically. A challenge here in Vancouver is public management of clean washrooms for the homeless so they don't need to badger local restaurants. Also, mobile showers in vans. No lie, they drive these things through Stanley Park and beat the bushes to give the indigent a soapy shower, delousing, and clean clothes if they'll let us.
Old 17th May 2018, 03:11 PM   #23
CaptainHowdy
Muse

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
It's the reason she was denied access to the restroom you silly goose! The color of your skin is the reason for everything
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 05:04 PM   #24
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Reading your post before the I read the link in the OP, I was certain the incident involved an irate person in a wheel chair. Then I clicked on the link- oh my, look at that, no wheel chair involved at all! No handicap or disability of any kind involved! ((Excluding possible mental illness for the moment). And not even PC-ness was involved: just a business denying restroom access to a person due to past problems encountered with that person (at least as claimed by the business).

Are you so angry at people in wheelchairs being able to pee and poop just like everyone else that the totally unrelated incident in the OP made you immediately need to complain about wheelchair access in restrooms?* Do you really believe that political correctness, or Federal law, prevents a business from denying service (of any kind) to any specific individual for legitimate cause? No one is saying that you have to let a person use your bathroom if they previously ripped it up.

*For almost a year I had a physical limitation that made for difficulties with stairs and uneven surfaces. I was thrilled that in the USA most public places had to accommodate people like me, and I was able to (although with some remaining difficulty) eat, shop, see shows, and go to the bathroom in these public places just like almost everyone else. It was a huge contrast to my experiences in countries that did not have laws like the ADA. It also made me better understand what people with even more severe limitations must have to endure every day, and made me very thankful for those who worked to pass these laws; perhaps it takes this having kind of experience oneself to not poo-poo (poop-poop?) these laws? I will mention that a business has to be a certain size to fall under the requires of this law, the requirements are not that outrageous, the focus is on reasonable accommodations, and like the newt in Monty Python, I got better.

[added in edit] I've read Harrison Bergeron multiple times. It is a vision of a dystopia in which the best and most able are handicapped to make them more like the average person, whereas you appear to be unhappy with the idea of helping the least abled to live more like the average person. I don't think Vonnegut would have agreed with your take on the story.

Last edited by Giordano; 17th May 2018 at 05:15 PM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 05:59 PM   #25
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Reading your post before the I read the link in the OP, I was certain the incident involved an irate person in a wheel chair. Then I clicked on the link- oh my, look at that, no wheel chair involved at all! No handicap or disability of any kind involved! ((Excluding possible mental illness for the moment). And not even PC-ness was involved: just a business denying restroom access to a person due to past problems encountered with that person (at least as claimed by the business).

Are you so angry at people in wheelchairs being able to pee and poop just like everyone else that the totally unrelated incident in the OP made you immediately need to complain about wheelchair access in restrooms?* Do you really believe that political correctness, or Federal law, prevents a business from denying service (of any kind) to any specific individual for legitimate cause? No one is saying that you have to let a person use your bathroom if they previously ripped it up.

*For almost a year I had a physical limitation that made for difficulties with stairs and uneven surfaces. I was thrilled that in the USA most public places had to accommodate people like me, and I was able to (although with some remaining difficulty) eat, shop, see shows, and go to the bathroom in these public places just like almost everyone else. It was a huge contrast to my experiences in countries that did not have laws like the ADA. It also made me better understand what people with even more severe limitations must have to endure every day, and made me very thankful for those who worked to pass these laws; perhaps it takes this having kind of experience oneself to not poo-poo (poop-poop?) these laws? I will mention that a business has to be a certain size to fall under the requires of this law, the requirements are not that outrageous, the focus is on reasonable accommodations, and like the newt in Monty Python, I got better.

[added in edit] I've read Harrison Bergeron multiple times. It is a vision of a dystopia in which the best and most able are handicapped to make them more like the average person, whereas you appear to be unhappy with the idea of helping the least abled to live more like the average person. I don't think Vonnegut would have agreed with your take on the story.
Almost a whole year? Welcome to the last 55 years of my life. Were you in Special Ed gym classes with the stigma of being "Retarded", rather than just a PHYSICAL problem?

Anyway, care to attack my argument rather than the arguer? Or I guess you could report me for "Off topic" if you would rather.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 06:31 PM   #26
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

What on earth are you talking about?
I Am The Scum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 06:58 PM   #27
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Almost a whole year? Welcome to the last 55 years of my life. Were you in Special Ed gym classes with the stigma of being "Retarded", rather than just a PHYSICAL problem?

Anyway, care to attack my argument rather than the arguer? Or I guess you could report me for "Off topic" if you would rather.
Okay, I was intensely annoyed that an OP about an apparently physically able women's crazed behavior could result in an unrelated post belittling handicap access to restrooms and attributing both to the "evil" of political correctness. Even re-reading my own screed I still see most of my post as attacking this argument, not you. But my apologies for my paragraph that I do agree was too personal. My irritation at the argument, stemming from my personal experiences, resulted in a too personal response. Sorry.

And I hope the best for your own health. My acute mobility problem got better. My outsides are pretty good. Insides are a different story.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 07:51 PM   #28
Jodie
Philosopher

//Slight hijack//

Well it is, it is a human need, and if not me, can result in humiliation for the person denied access to the bathroom in a public place.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 09:39 PM   #29
Elagabalus
Master Poster

What argument? All businesses have to have wheel chair access. Blame the interstate highway system and the rise of the AM/PM Minimart for moving the bathroom from around the back* to inside the store-and then you have to ask for the key!

*remember that? An inch of bog water/urine on the floor, graffiti and the genuine cloth towel dispenser with the faulty take-up spool allowing the fabric to dip down all the way to the urine soaked floor? Good Times ...
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 11:29 PM   #30
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Nor Brits.
Old 18th May 2018, 02:32 AM   #31
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Only as a conjunction. Google suggests "whilst" is alive and well on UK-based websites.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2018, 03:37 AM   #32
Lothian
should be banned

And "while" (instead of whilst).
Not only are you wrong, they are interchangeable, this is the third or fourth thread you have brought this topic up in.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events