ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old Today, 06:27 AM   #81
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Good post. You are, however, crafting an argument that draws a stark line between "nature and nurture" when you assert that "either one or the other" would be responsible for a disparity in outcome.
Isn't it more likely some combination of the two?
If it's some combination, then inequality of opportunity still exists and still needs to be addressed.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:33 AM   #82
ahhell
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I thought only old racist grandmas said 'blacks' as a noun.
They usually say, "coloreds or blacks, whatever we're suppose call them now, I can't keep up."

I think equality of opportunity should be the goal but we clearly aren't there yet and its not exactly easy to measure, so outcomes are a decent indirect measure. Even if it is true that equality of outcome is even less possible than equality of opportunity.....without some sort of Harrison Bergeron leveling.
ahhell is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:55 AM   #83
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
They usually say, "coloreds or blacks, whatever we're suppose call them now, I can't keep up."
Followed, sotto voce, by "I don't see why we can't call them ********s any more, nobody ever used to complain about it."

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:36 AM   #84
Distracted1
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
If it's some combination, then inequality of opportunity still exists and still needs to be addressed.

Dave
I agree. However, ignoring "nature" and how little or how much of a role it plays hinders attempts at crafting fair policies- if we are using "outcome" as the measure of success or failure of such policy.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events