IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th July 2021, 01:52 AM   #401
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
This is the bizarre state India is in now. Essentially, the head of the Indian Medical Association had, in one of those wierd television discussions with the current star godman Baba Ramdev, made some mention of linking allopathy, christianity and the west. It was a pretty dumb rambling discussion with Ramdev where the godman was making quack claims about "ayurvedic" treatments and trying to push a quack tonic developed by his company.
As is often the case a local "activist" decided to file a suit against the IMA head stating that he had offended Hindu sentiments, and it was immediately challenged by the head of the IMA and a petition to dissmiss the case was filed. However, the court has decided to rule in favour of the plaintiff, claiming that the IMA head should not have used his official position to promote religion.
Delhi High Court Dismisses IMA President's Appeal Against Trial Court's Order Asking Him Not To Use IMA Platform To Propagate Religion

I am not sure I get this: Did the head of the IMA actually try to promote Christianity by linking it to evidence-based medicine?
Evidence-based medicine and Christianity do seem to get along in many parts of the world. Vicars mostly leave medicine to science and don't pretend to be able to cure diseases or give medical advice, and medical doctors don't tell them how to preach, but it took centuries to get there.
And evidence-based medicine works due to science. Religion has nothing to do with it, obviously.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 30th July 2021 at 01:57 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2021, 01:55 AM   #402
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Of course, there are also Christian preachers like this guy:
Pastor Threatens Church Members Who Wear Masks (Rebel HQ on Youtube, July 27, 2021)

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2021, 03:32 AM   #403
Susheel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dann View Post
I am not sure I get this: Did the head of the IMA actually try to promote Christianity by linking it to evidence-based medicine?
Evidence-based medicine and Christianity do seem to get along in many parts of the world. Vicars mostly leave medicine to science and don't pretend to be able to cure diseases or give medical advice, and medical doctors don't tell them how to preach, but it took centuries to get there.
And evidence-based medicine works due to science. Religion has nothing to do with it, obviously.
It was a rather bizarre televised discussion. During the rambling debate, I guess frustrated by the overt bigotry of the godman, the head of the IMA made a passing statement that Christianity and Allopathy were gifts of the west...which in itself is a flawed description. The godman was trying to push the benefits of the supposedly ayurvedic health concotions that his company manufactures and called allopathy a western thing being pushed to convert people to christianity. But then, Indian beuraucrats are not really known for a nuanced understanding beyond what they have studied to pass their exams. The right-wing crowd picked on this and immediately made it sound like the IMA head was preaching the gospel.

Last edited by Susheel; 30th July 2021 at 03:35 AM.
Susheel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2021, 07:39 AM   #404
dann
Penultimate Amazing

OK, I would also have objected to "gifts of the west", but I can see where he was probably coming from.
Old 30th July 2021, 07:56 AM   #405
Susheel
Master Poster

OK, I would also have objected to "gifts of the west", but I can see where he was probably coming from.
The problem with that statement is that if either of them had even tried to read up on history, they would have known that Christianity existed and practiced in India as early as 600 AD.

Last edited by Susheel; 30th July 2021 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Got the provenance wrong
Susheel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2021, 02:25 PM   #406
Thor 2
Philosopher

Yes! You might as well link Christianity to Pizza Pies I suppose, since both came from the West.
Old 31st July 2021, 01:43 AM   #407
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Around here, they both came from the South!
Old 31st July 2021, 01:46 AM   #408
dann
Penultimate Amazing

The problem with that statement is that if either of them had even tried to read up on history, they would have known that Christianity existed and practiced in India as early as 600 AD.

I assume that evidence-based science didn't arrive till much later, but my knowledge of Indian history is minuscule.
Old 31st July 2021, 04:23 AM   #409
Susheel
Master Poster

I assume that evidence-based science didn't arrive till much later, but my knowledge of Indian history is minuscule.
Well, ancient India was making a lot of strides in the area of Math and astronomy and the spice trade provided contact with the Arabs who were doing similar stuff in their part of the world.. However, at some point, the knowledge in these disciplines came to be controlled by a small group of the elite upper caste who ensured tight control of the knowledge and who it could be passed on to. Of course, this results in stagnation and over the years became more and more imbued with religious strictures and there was little opportunity for growth and new ideas. So, any attempts at science essentially languished.

At the time Europe was developing and establishin ght scientific method, the purveyours of knowledge in India were more keen on establishing absolute owneship of the knowledge.
Old 31st July 2021, 07:18 AM   #410
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

Science based medicine is pretty new to the west as well
Old 3rd August 2021, 12:37 AM   #411
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Well, ancient India was making a lot of strides in the area of Math and astronomy and the spice trade provided contact with the Arabs who were doing similar stuff in their part of the world.. However, at some point, the knowledge in these disciplines came to be controlled by a small group of the elite upper caste who ensured tight control of the knowledge and who it could be passed on to. Of course, this results in stagnation and over the yhave become science-based, most of the time, in the West and in most other places, but the knowledge about medicine, i.e. how do we know what we know, is still limited to an elite. Handing this knowledge down to the general populace in the form of commandments about what you should and shouldn't do is a very ineffective way of distributing 'science'. To ordinary people, ears became more and more imbued with religious strictures and there was little opportunity for growth and new ideas. So, any attempts at science essentially languished.

At the time Europe was developing and establishin ght scientific method, the purveyours of knowledge in India were more keen on establishing absolute owneship of the knowledge.

Originally Posted by gabeygoat View Post
Science based medicine is pretty new to the west as well

And the understanding of science is still very limited everywhere, which is the reason why alleged scientists can still get away with their lies. During the pandemic, this has become more apparent than ever.

In the West and in most other places, medicine may have become science-based, most of the time, but the knowledge about medicine, i.e. how do we know what we know, is still limited to an elite. Handing this knowledge down to the general populace in the form of commandments about what you should and shouldn't do is a very ineffective way of distributing 'science'. To ordinary people, it becomes a question of trust: And when that is the case, some people make the wrong choice and trust the covidiots with or without diplomas.

In this respect, North America and Europe aren't very different from India, which is why alt.med. scammers everywhere are having a field day during the pandemic.

Science to the people is much, much more than scientists working for the people. Everybody needs to be made science literate. The shortcuts don't work.
Old 3rd August 2021, 12:41 AM   #412
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Evangelical Christians More Resistant To Vaccine Than Most Other Groups (MSNBC, Aug. 2, 2021)

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 4th August 2021, 10:49 PM   #413
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Two very interesting posts from the vaccine thread in the subforum Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology:

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Non religious not so vaxxed
Quote:
Interesting to see this idiosyncratic chart showing vaccine rates by religious affiliation—and notice which group comes in last:
https://www.powerlineblog.com/archiv...ng-vaccine.php

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Here's the original post from which the graph in the Powerline Blog was taken: Thinking about evangelicals and COVID-19 vaccines: Wait! The numbers show WHAT?!?! [getreligion.org]. The comments on that article point out that people who self-identify as non-religious are also in younger age groups, and even into April (which is when the chart ends) younger people were still having problems getting access to the vaccines.
Old 5th August 2021, 01:47 PM   #414
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Captain Obvious reporting....

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/louis...b0e28b31de0405

Quote:
“I do not consent to forcing a face covering on my child, who is created in the image of God,” the letter requesting a religious exemption states. “Masks lead to anti-social behaviors, interfere with religious commands to share God’s love with others, and interfere with relationships in contravention of the Bible.”
Jesus hates masks.
Old 9th August 2021, 09:49 AM   #415
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Not according to all Christians:

Quote:
For George L. Davis, a bishop at Impact Church in Jacksonville, getting vaccinated against the coronavirus was an act of faith. He says that he believes in divine creation, and that the shot is a miracle — a sign of God guiding scientists in their attempts to curb a devastating virus. Yet, for his nondenominational congregation, the provenance of a lifesaving tool was not as obvious.
(...)
Still, he said, some did not listen. Six of the church’s members, Davis said, died of covid-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, in 10 days. Four of them were healthy and younger than 35; all were unvaccinated.
(...)
“The miracle is no less of a miracle if medical science has to kick in to finish it off,” he said. “For me, that’s a little bit of a turning point, because I’ve seen God do it with no medical help up until a point and then finish it off with medical help. And that’s what I [see] in this virus, too.”
(...)
Davis’s observation is consistent with a March study by the nonprofit Public Religion Research Institute. It found that about 36 percent of Black Protestants who are vaccine-hesitant said faith-based approaches would make them more likely to get vaccinated. About 70 percent said they would turn to a religious leader for information about vaccination.
Florida church reeling after six members die within 10 days amid spike in cases (WP, Aug. 9, 2021)

The logic is obviously very flawed, on science, scientists and whom to trust about vaccines, but at least the bishop seems to get the vast majority of his vaccine-hesitant parishioners vaccinated.
And the photos show everybody wearing face masks ...
Old 18th August 2021, 10:39 PM   #416
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Karma strikes again
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2021, 03:37 PM   #417
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Filippo Lippi View Post
From the link:
Quote:
On Wednesday of last week the Cardinal himself tweeted “Praised be Jesus Christ! I wish to inform you that I have recently tested positive for the Covid-19 virus. Thanks be to God, I am resting comfortably and receiving excellent medical care. Please pray for me as I begin my recovery. Let us trust in Divine Providence. God bless you.”
Oh shut up.

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2021, 08:48 AM   #418
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Oh shut up.
Indeed. The ICUs in my city are at 102% capacity. I'm sure someone as important as a Cardinal is given priority care. But most of us unwashed heathens are not so lucky. It's not so much that I fear getting COVID-19 and there not being any hospital beds available. I fear having a heart attack or being in an auto accident or something like that, and there not being any care available because the hospitals are dealing with a largely preventable disease afflicting self-entitled holdouts.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 05:51 AM   #419
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Spokesperson for Evangelical organization fired for promoting vaccinations:
Quote:
The spokesman for a major evangelical nonprofit was fired for promoting vaccines on the MSNBC “Morning Joe” cable news show, Religion News Service has learned.
Daniel Darling, senior vice president of communications for the National Religious Broadcasters, was fired Friday (Aug. 27) after refusing to admit his pro-vaccine statements were mistaken, according to a source authorized to speak for Darling.
His firing comes at a time when Americans face a new surge of COVID-19 infections due to the highly contagious Delta variant even as protesters and politicians resist mask mandates or other preventive measures.
NRB spokesman Dan Darling fired after pro-vaccine statements on ‘Morning Joe’ (Religious News Service, Aug. 27, 2021)
Old 31st August 2021, 12:18 AM   #420
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Mississippi Republican Gov. Tate Reeves said Monday that he stands by remarks he made at a political fundraising event last week — that he believes Christians are “a little less scared” of COVID-19 because of their belief in eternal life.
“In our state and in our nation right now, there are certainly necessary precautions that we can take with respect to COVID. But I believe very strongly in my faith,” Reeves said in response to a question from The Associated Press during a news conference Monday.
“I believe very strongly in what the Bible says, and the Bible’s very clear that ‘Whosoever believeth in him shall not perish but have everlasting life,’” Reeves said. “And, that is my worldview, it’s how I believe, it’s what drives me every single day, and I think it’s what drives a large number of Mississippians. We should take necessary precautions with respect to COVID, but we also understand that we do have everlasting life if we believe in Jesus, if we believe in God the father, and I certainly do.”
Mississippi governor: Christians are 'less scared' of COVID (WP, Aug. 31, 2021)

Mississippie's governor says people in the state are less scared of COVID-19 because they 'believe in eternal life' (Business Insider, Aug. 29, 2021)
Old 31st August 2021, 04:41 AM   #421
Ulf Nereng
Muse

Alcohol also has that effect.
Ulf Nereng is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2021, 08:07 AM   #422
dann
Penultimate Amazing

What are spirits?
Old 31st August 2021, 08:09 AM   #423
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Spokesperson for Evangelical organization fired for promoting vaccinations:

National Religious Broadcasters Spokesperson Fired After Pro-Vaccine Remarks (MSNBC, Aug. 30, 2021)

I AGREE
Old 6th September 2021, 08:04 AM   #424
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Bible Camp
Quote:
No deaths have been reported from the outbreak, but five people were hospitalized, the CDC said, noting that all of the hospitalizations involved unvaccinated patients. Twenty-nine people who were vaccinated ended up getting infected in the outbreak, according to the CDC. Health officials pointed to the highly transmissible delta variant as a catalyst for an outbreak that eventually exposed more than 1,100 people in four states to the virus.
(...)
The central Illinois summer camp held between June 13 and 17, which did not require teens to be vaccinated, tested or masked, had groups of about 100 people sleep in “large, shared boarding facilities,” according to the CDC. The camp made no mention of masks in the “What to Bring” section of its website, but it urged campers to bring items such as water shoes, a pen and the Bible.
(...)
More than a quarter of the 335 campers and staff members ended up having confirmed or probable coronavirus cases, the CDC said.
A church camp didn’t require vaccinations or masks. It’s now linked to 180 coronavirus cases, CDC says. (WP, Sep. 1, 2021)
Old 14th September 2021, 06:44 AM   #425
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

A friend of mine who works in the Human Resources department of a local company told me she's starting to get requests for religious exemption to the vaccine mandates. Problem is they're coming from Mormons, and the emphatic, official position of the Mormon church is to get vaccinated. Apparently that isn't stopping some local church leaders from signing statements affirming the applicant's right to exemption. It's going to be interesting to see whether anyone gets in trouble.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2021, 01:10 PM   #426
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Sad!

(No, not really!)

“He would gleefully read obituaries of AIDS sufferers while cranking ‘Another One Bites the Dust’ by Queen, whose lead singer, Freddie Mercury, succumbed to the malady.”

https://news.yahoo.com/wing-anti-vax...32856886.html?
Old 14th September 2021, 02:52 PM   #427
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Sad!

(No, not really!)

“He would gleefully read obituaries of AIDS sufferers while cranking ‘Another One Bites the Dust’ by Queen, whose lead singer, Freddie Mercury, succumbed to the malady.”

https://news.yahoo.com/wing-anti-vax...32856886.html?

Bob Enyart biting the dust doesn't choke me up at all.
Old 14th September 2021, 03:39 PM   #428
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

Watching Enyart on TV was like a train wreck. His passion and hate were a horrible combination.

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2021, 10:05 PM   #429
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
A friend of mine who works in the Human Resources department of a local company told me she's starting to get requests for religious exemption to the vaccine mandates. Problem is they're coming from Mormons, and the emphatic, official position of the Mormon church is to get vaccinated. Apparently that isn't stopping some local church leaders from signing statements affirming the applicant's right to exemption. It's going to be interesting to see whether anyone gets in trouble.

The pope speaks out against religious exemptions from vaccinations:

Quote:
The Pope has said he does not know how to explain why some cardinals in the Catholic Church are hesitant to get the Covid-19 jab.
"It's a bit strange because humanity has a history of friendship with vaccines," Francis told reporters during a flight from Slovakia to Italy.
The pontiff, who is vaccinated himself, has previously encouraged people to get jabbed for the "common good".
He said one cardinal had ended up in intensive care with Covid-19.
Francis did not name the man he was referring to, but conservative US Cardinal Raymond Burke, 73, recently spent days on a ventilator in hospital after contracting the virus.
It is unclear whether Cardinal Burke is vaccinated or not, but in the past he has been critical of vaccination.
(...)
Some religious leaders, especially in the United States, believe Catholics should be allowed to claim conscientious objection to the Covid-19 vaccines on religious grounds. However Pope Francis has disagreed with this, and said the vaccines were "morally acceptable" and could be used "in good conscience".
Covid-19: Pope puzzled about vaccine hesitancy in the Church (BBC, Sep 15, 2021)

The BBC article includes a good 5-min. video: "'The Gospel Truth?' Covid-19 vaccines and the danger of religious misinformation"
Old 15th September 2021, 10:29 PM   #430
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

The reason some Catholics are against vaccination is that some vaccines are developed using cell lines derived from aborted foetal tissue.
Old 22nd September 2021, 10:21 AM   #431
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Well, they got in about as much trouble as is possible at this point. The Mormon governing body has sent a letter to all local authorities instructing them not to sign religious waivers for vaccinations, as reported in the Salt Lake Tribune. So far there appears to have been no ecclesiastical penalty for those who may already have done so. But the letter contains a warning that since the church's pro-vaccine policy is well publicized, signing such documents may constitute perjury and be liable to secular legal penalty.
Old 22nd September 2021, 12:11 PM   #432
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

There is a single question for anyone asking for religious exemption:

on what grounds?

The only plausible ons is that human cells were used during some phase of the research/testing.
But if that is the case, then most drugs in common use today should be just as off-limits, but none of these devout believers had ever any problem with those.

There is no plausible religious reason to refuse the vaccine, unless you start your own "No-Fauci-Club" church.
Old 23rd September 2021, 05:55 PM   #433
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
There is a single question for anyone asking for religious exemption:

on what grounds?

The only plausible ons is that human cells were used during some phase of the research/testing.
But if that is the case, then most drugs in common use today should be just as off-limits, but none of these devout believers had ever any problem with those.

There is no plausible religious reason to refuse the vaccine, unless you start your own "No-Fauci-Club" church.
Oh come on. If the use of human cells makes for a plausible reason, there are at least a couple more just as plausible. Going against god's obvious wish to off you is the first that comes to mind.
Old 23rd September 2021, 05:59 PM   #434
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Oh come on. If the use of human cells makes for a plausible reason, there are at least a couple more just as plausible. Going against god's obvious wish to off you is the first that comes to mind.
That's the objection that some Catholics in America have. That certain vaccinations used cell lines from aborted foetuses in their development. They felt that using the vaccines made them complicit in the abortion 50 years ago from which these cell lines were derived. The Pope issued a decree last year stating that it was okay to get vaccinated. Certain American bishops ignored it.
Old 23rd September 2021, 06:05 PM   #435
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I really should have posted this in the Covid humour thread - another one bites the dust!

Of all the scamming scumbags to have been their come-uppance by a virus, this is one of the best: https://economynext.com/sri-lankas-s...ovid-19-86427/
Old 26th September 2021, 10:18 PM   #436
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Seems to be a case of: Quack, kill thyself ...
Old 29th September 2021, 11:41 PM   #437
dann
Penultimate Amazing

The Vatican mandates vaccinations:
Quote:
The Vatican announced Tuesday that employees of the Vatican City State will be required to receive a coronavirus vaccine, regularly submit a recent negative COVID-19 test, or go without pay as of Oct. 1. Those without either will be deemed “unjustly absent” in the eyes of the church, which comes with the penalty of a lost salary.
Vatican to Employees: Get Vaxxed, Get Regularly Tested, or Get Out (The Daily Beast, Sep 28, 2021)
Old 30th September 2021, 02:19 PM   #438
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
I really should have posted this in the Covid humour thread - another one bites the dust!

Of all the scamming scumbags to have been their come-uppance by a virus, this is one of the best: https://economynext.com/sri-lankas-s...ovid-19-86427/

Let me guess what response the faithful may have to this event.

"Well he was needed to do some healing up in Heaven."
Old 5th October 2021, 11:51 PM   #439
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Religious leaders around the world have come out in favor of the coronavirus vaccine. So why are so many people still trying to get religious exemptions?
Why Is Everyone Asking for Religious Vaccine Exemptions? (The Daily Show with Trevor Noah, Oct 6, 2021)
I AGREE

Last edited by dann; 5th October 2021 at 11:55 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy