IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM   #441
Louden Wilde
Thinker

Originally Posted by Earthborn View Post
Transwomen are often discriminated in the same or very similar ways as ciswomen. Transmen often report that after transitioning, they face much less "sex-based" discrimination.
Sure folks like Buck Angel face less sex-based discrimination (no quotes needed) because it's no longer apparent that they are female. As to the first part, you're sea-lioning. People have pointed out the hundreds of thousands of females killed every year via sex selective abortion, infanticide and neglect due to their sex. There's the female genital mutilation in Africa, child brides and forced pregnancies. Boko Haram, the Taliban, etc. are not going to be asking people how they identify - because sex will always be more important than gender identity.

Last edited by Louden Wilde; Yesterday at 07:21 PM.
Louden Wilde is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM   #442
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

(All to ensure the Men remain better than the Women, I guess) But I am not the one making those rules and as long as it is all fun and games, it is not that important.
It doesn't affect me, so who cares?
Old Yesterday, 09:26 PM   #443
Boudicca90
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Louden Wilde View Post
I feel that we should attempt to describe reality objectively. My understanding is that you are male, and are sexually attracted to other males (for arguments sake, let's say exclusively). By definition, that is homosexual, and shouldn't be an insult. That may not be what you'd like, but it's objectively verifiable.

Broadly, TW are never going to be considered a subset of adult human females because of the reproductive role of the latter - the whole reason sex exists.
Wrong. I am female and attracted to males, making me heterosexual. I'm just not entirely the same as cis females.

Your strict anatomical classifications don't mean anything to me.

Last edited by Boudicca90; Yesterday at 09:28 PM.
Boudicca90 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:43 PM   #444
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Boudicca90 View Post
Wrong. I am female and attracted to males, making me heterosexual. I'm just not entirely the same as cis females.

(Emphasis added)

Most of the long term participants have recognized that definitions are things invented to facilitate communication. So if I say that such and such a person is a "woman", and someone else says that she is not a "woman", and yet we each know lots of things about that person, and indeed the same things, then what we are doing is not arguing anything about the person. We are arguing about the definition of a word.

So it is with "female" in your exchange with Louden. You have told us enough about yourself that we know that, by some definition of female, you are not female. You are using a different definition. Louden is not wrong. Louden is using a different definition.

A couple of points. Agreement on definitions helps facilitate communication, and the definition that Louden is using is actually the same definition that darned near everyone in the world is using, including darned near everyone who contributes to this thread. While his anatomical definitions don't mean anything to you, everyone else understands them just fine, and are pretty satsified with them.

Second, I highly doubt you will present a dictionary style definition for your definition of "female". If you could, I would be interested, because a lot of posts have been made regarding that subject, and I don't think it has every been satisfactorily resolved. Louden could do so for his definition, but I don't think you would be able to do so for yours. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Today, 04:36 AM   #445
Earthborn
Terrestrial Intelligence

Originally Posted by Louden Wilde View Post
People have pointed out the hundreds of thousands of females killed every year via sex selective abortion, infanticide and neglect due to their sex. There's the female genital mutilation in Africa, child brides and forced pregnancies. Boko Haram, the Taliban, etc. are not going to be asking people how they identify - because sex will always be more important than gender identity.
Your examples show that societies that put a greater emphasis on biological sex than on gender self-expression, are regressive and sexist. Thank you for making my point for me.
Old Today, 06:43 AM   #446
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Agreement on definitions helps facilitate communication, and the definition that Louden is using is actually the same definition that darned near everyone in the world is using, including darned near everyone who contributes to this thread. While his anatomical definitions don't mean anything to you, everyone else understands them just fine, and are pretty satsified with them.
People should be willing to provide their definitions in any thread where several possibilities are in play.

Here are mine, from way back in the thread:
Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
I'd say that people born with ova are female, people who produce sperm are male, and people who never carry either ova nor sperm (a tiny fraction of the population) need to be sorted based on other criteria, if they need be sorted all.
If you're not producing gametes, you're not playing the game of sexual reproduction, which is the reason males and females exist in the first place, as distinct groups observed by naturalists across the animal kingdom.

Last edited by d4m10n; Today at 06:58 AM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:37 AM   #447
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

You can play all the Humpty Dumpty language games you want, but you will never get everyone else to play along. And Louden isn't wrong, you just want to use a different definition than he is using. Which, fine. But that's a preference of yours, not a universal fact. You don't get to dictate that we all have to change our definitions to suit your preference. It's not going to happen. You are male, according to standard and long-standing definitions of the word. That's factually correct.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:42 AM   #448
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Your examples show that societies that put a greater emphasis on biological sex than on gender self-expression, are regressive and sexist. Thank you for making my point for me.
You think that is the defining characteristic of the Taliban? That they care more about biological sex than gender self-expression?

Yeah, no. You are deliberately missing the point.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:37 PM   #449
p0lka
Master Poster

I think female/male is a biological fact/constant.

You can say you are a woman certainly, or any other gender label if you want as that is allowing people to be themselves. 'When I were a kid we got told what toys we were allowed to play with', hehe not good.

Posters have shown evidence that female isn't really a variable though, so what do you think about that?

your last sentence is strange
are you saying you don't care about the reality or facts of a thing?

If so, what are you basing your outlook on?
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events