IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old Yesterday, 06:20 PM   #1881
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Their actual "news" reporting tends to be reasonably based in fact and can be somewhat trustworthy if one guards against potential spin, but, as you say, there's a lot of lying through omission (among other indirect forms of deceit and manipulation). If it were just that, that would be one thing, but that's not all there is to Fox. Their "opinion" side is where it really gets evil.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:16 PM   #1882
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2021/0...ecz-nr-vpx.cnn

Okay:

A) The fur hat is totally derivative but being as it was 85 degrees F here yesterday, I do admire his commitment to fashion.

B) I've seen some really stupid protests on the National Mall. If someone can get mad about it, eventually they'll end up on the National Mall with placards protesting about it. This guy has to be the dumbest protestor I've ever seen.

To put that in context, I've encountered people with turtles in goldfish bowls protesting the fact that we use the Gregorian Calendar on the lawn in front of the Congressional steps. And no, I have no idea what any of that means.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:58 PM   #1883
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2021/0...ecz-nr-vpx.cnn

Okay:

A) The fur hat is totally derivative but being as it was 85 degrees F here yesterday, I do admire his commitment to fashion.

B) I've seen some really stupid protests on the National Mall. If someone can get mad about it, eventually they'll end up on the National Mall with placards protesting about it. This guy has to be the dumbest protestor I've ever seen.

To put that in context, I've encountered people with turtles in goldfish bowls protesting the fact that we use the Gregorian Calendar on the lawn in front of the Congressional steps. And no, I have no idea what any of that means.
Oh, hell no! Try these geniuses. My personal favorite is the older woman with the glasses, short gray hair, in the white T-shirt:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:15 AM   #1884
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
From letter

Trump has never done anything respectfully in his life.

It appears that no one can get him to understand that even if 300,000 votes were determined to be fraudulent, he would still not be installed as president.

And the next line just wanders off into "WTF" territory...

"start the process of decertifying the election, or whatever the correct legal remedy is"

"...or whatever the correct legal remedy is..." Dude, you can afford the best lawyers in the universe for this, how the **** do you still have no idea what "the correct legal remedy" is?!?!?!?!
Old Today, 05:50 AM   #1885
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Oh, hell no! Try these geniuses. My personal favorite is the older woman with the glasses, short gray hair, in the white T-shirt:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Bless her heart.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:14 AM   #1886
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Things not going so great with Trump Tower in NYC. It’s been added to a debt watch list.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...-slumps-2021-9

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:35 AM   #1887
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Things not going so great with Trump Tower in NYC. It’s been added to a debt watch list.

Would it count as insider trading if it invested in popcorn futures?
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:46 AM   #1888
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post

Not surprising. Who needs the aggravation of living in a Trump property or staying at one of his hotels? People are going to make a lot of assumptions about you if Trump Tower is your address. Same with the hotels. Go to Doral Florida and stay at the Hilton, no one thinks anything of it. Stay at Trump Doral, and people will read in. Why bother?
Old Today, 06:49 AM   #1889
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Not surprising. Who needs the aggravation of living in a Trump property or staying at one of his hotels? People are going to make a lot of assumptions about you if Trump Tower is your address. Same with the hotels. Go to Doral Florida and stay at the Hilton, no one thinks anything of it. Stay at Trump Doral, and people will read in. Why bother?
This fact illustrates the overall stupidity of the general public.
Old Today, 06:56 AM   #1890
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
This fact illustrates the overall stupidity of the general public.
I don't think so. Unless someone was in one of those situations where they didn't get to make their own reservations, I would question their intelligence and general sense of morality and values. The standard you'll ignore is the standard you accept. If you give money to support a Trump business, you accept his values.
Old Today, 07:00 AM   #1891
Warp12
Graduate Poster

I don't think so. Unless someone was in one of those situations where they didn't get to make their own reservations, I would question their intelligence and general sense of morality and values. The standard you'll ignore is the standard you accept. If you give money to support a Trump business, you accept his values.
I'd rather stay in a nicer establishment, regardless. I'm not trying to make a political statement at the expense of my comfort. Like, if someone would stay there if only it were "Biden Tower", I would consider that person an idiot.
Old Today, 07:05 AM   #1892
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

My wife was watching a story on, I think Good Morning America. A reporter visited Mount Airy, NC (the town that Mayberry was based on) and asked a tour group about the election and the January 6th Insurrection. Everyone on the tour bus responded with some version of the election was stolen and January 6th was a false flag operation. Dead people voting, massive mail-in fraud, but whattabouta all the cities Antifa and BLM are burning down, all that standard nonsense.

The segment then ended with one of the people telling the reporter "I hope this story when it airs doesn't paint rural people as uneducated hicks as they all do."

*Deep breath*

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:07 AM   #1893
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
My wife was watching a story on, I think Good Morning America. A reporter visited Mount Airy, NC (the town that Mayberry was based on) and asked a tour group about the election and the January 6th Insurrection. Everyone on the tour bus responded with some version of the election was stolen and January 6th was a false flag operation. Dead people voting, massive mail-in fraud, but whattabouta all the cities Antifa and BLM are burning down, all that standard nonsense.

The segment then ended with one of the people telling the reporter "I hope this story when it airs doesn't paint rural people as uneducated hicks as they all do."

*Deep breath*
Certainly, some of what they said was nonsense.
Old Today, 07:34 AM   #1894
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Certainly, some of what they said was nonsense.
All of it.
Antifa and BLM are not burning down cities.
Old Today, 07:47 AM   #1895
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
All of it.
Antifa and BLM are not burning down cities.
The protests were mostly peaceful, no doubt.
Old Today, 07:52 AM   #1896
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
"...or whatever the correct legal remedy is..." Dude, you can afford the best lawyers in the universe for this, how the **** do you still have no idea what "the correct legal remedy" is?!?!?!?!

There's a big difference between being able to afford the best lawyers and being willing to pay the best lawyers.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:53 AM   #1897
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

they were.
but what happens afterwards with individuals is another question.

Or do you make all protesters responsible for the actions of a very few individuals?
Old Today, 07:54 AM   #1898
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Stop playing games. Hurry and get to the wrong thing you think they were right about.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:26 AM   #1899
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Imagine if instead of mostly white Americans the Capitol attackers were 'BLM/Antifa', or Muslim Americans. Or gods forfend, recent immigrant non-citizens. We can be sure the entire Right would be uniformly screeching through spittle-flecked lips about this heinous crime of the millennium perpetrated by these vile terrorists! How dare they attack that hallowed ground! Hunt down and root out even those who thought of joining in! Harshest punishment! Death sentences warranted for some!

They sure as hell wouldn't be organizing or supporting protest rallies decrying unfair treatment of the terrorists at the hands of the Law. Or GOP pols trying to ignore, downplay or sweep their attack under the rug.

But the Rethug mindset cannot allow such discomforting introspection to inform their inchoate rage and mindless sheep-like acceptance of The Big Lie.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:38 AM   #1900
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

At the core of the GOP mindset is PRIVILEDGE: one set of laws for you, another set for us.
Old Today, 09:07 AM   #1901
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I'd rather stay in a nicer establishment, regardless. I'm not trying to make a political statement at the expense of my comfort. Like, if someone would stay there if only it were "Biden Tower", I would consider that person an idiot.
There's no shortage of nicer establishments around Trump's resort properties. There are plenty of luxury hotels in Washington DC, West Palm Beach and Miami. None of them come with Trump's baggage.
Old Today, 09:12 AM   #1902
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
At the core of the GOP mindset is PRIVILEDGE: one set of laws for you, another set for us.
It's that and more.

"Obviously I should be the one calling the shots. I mean... it's obvious. I'm the 'Real' American and you aren't." This is as fundamentally true and self-evident to them as "water is wet" is to me or you.

This is why I'm sooooo sick of the Left screeching "hypocrisy" at them. It's not a valid concept within their mindset, if anything it's a positive.

To them, some sissy limp wristed latte-sipping little college librul whining about the rules applying to one side and not the other is like your toaster complaining to you that it has to make the toast but you get to decide how dark the toast is. Of course, I decide how the toast should be and you make the toast. You're a toaster. How do you think the world should be?

"They" don't contribute. They are all welfare cheats and illegal immigrants and don't have "real jobs" where you actually have to use your blood, sweat, tears. They all hate America but demand a bigger and bigger percentage of it. It's laughable that they have the gall to sit there and expect to have any say, much less an equal say to a real American like me.

That's how they think. They treat Liberalism like something that's not politically wrong but fundamentally counter to reality.

To them, Liberals are that one friend who goes to lunch with you, orders the lobster and porterhouse while you order the BLT and a water with lemon and extra dessert but then demands the check be divided "equally" when it comes time for the table to pay.

And yes I am aware that this is not only wrong but a far better descriptor of the Right, but again that's the point.

The more and more spoken and less and less unspoken subtext of the Right is an almost exasperated "Listen you're not getting it. All those years where I was arguing that I had a valid political or logical or moral or even reality-based reason for being in power... I didn't really mean it. What I meant was I'm in power because I said so, because I am going to take the power because I felt entitled to it, because I am going to use the power once I get into it to rig the system to stay in power, and because I'm comfortable rolling the dice that you aren't going to do anything about it. How is it you aren't getting this?"

Like I keep saying over and over. It's a flex. It's a dare. It's them as close to literally as possible going. 'Yeah, I'm factually wrong to the point that it is reality-denying. I'm hypocritical to the point that it's a parody of itself. My arguments have degraded into nothing but constant trolling. I'm actively racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, and every other form of bigotry you can imagine. I'm actively courting extremism. Now... what are you going to do about it... punk?"

Last edited by JoeMorgue; Today at 09:16 AM.
Old Today, 09:23 AM   #1903
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Imagine if instead of mostly white Americans the Capitol attackers were 'BLM/Antifa', or Muslim Americans. Or gods forfend, recent immigrant non-citizens. We can be sure the entire Right would be uniformly screeching through spittle-flecked lips about this heinous crime of the millennium perpetrated by these vile terrorists! How dare they attack that hallowed ground! Hunt down and root out even those who thought of joining in! Harshest punishment! Death sentences warranted for some!

They sure as hell wouldn't be organizing or supporting protest rallies decrying unfair treatment of the terrorists at the hands of the Law. Or GOP pols trying to ignore, downplay or sweep their attack under the rug.

But the Rethug mindset cannot allow such discomforting introspection to inform their inchoate rage and mindless sheep-like acceptance of The Big Lie.
But, that sounds like "White Privilege," which my family assures me is just made-up liberal nonsense.
Old Today, 09:33 AM   #1904
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
But, that sounds like "White Privilege," which my family assures me is just made-up liberal nonsense.
They're right.
Old Today, 09:37 AM   #1905
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

They're right.
true.
You have to be white and not poor.
If you are just white and poor, or black and just well-off, you are **** out of luck.
Old Today, 09:44 AM   #1906
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

They're right.
Luckily, I don't have to spend Thanksgiving with you.
Old Today, 01:19 PM   #1907
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

They're right.
And all the studies that show they're otherwise are just 'fake news', amirite?

Quote:
Brian Lowery, PhD, a senior associate dean at Stanford University's Graduate School of Business, studies the psychology of racial privilege in the United States. He discusses the factors that drive many white Americans to ignore and even deny that white privilege exists, and what he believes needs to be done to combat racial injustice.

Mills: Much of your research has been on how white people make sense of the unfair advantages that our society confers on them. In one paper, you talked about the three D's: deny, distance and dismantle--strategies that white people use to cope when confronted with evidence of white privilege. Can you talk a little bit more about those three D's and the psychology behind each of those behaviors?

Lowery: Of course. So the first thing is that I think the psychology that drives it is a desire to feel like a good, moral person. And in the context of a society that explains our outcomes as a function of deservingness, of meritocracy, it challenges our sense of self to believe that we might have benefited from unearned advantages. And in the case of race, the idea that being white has conferred unfair advantages can be incredibly uncomfortable. So I think that's the psychology that drives what we talk about and the deny, distance and dismantle. And so what actually happens, how that's managed, it can vary. One thing that white people do is to deny that they personally benefit from white advantage or white privilege. And this is done in multiple ways.
Quote:
Mills: Let's talk for a moment about the invisibility of white privilege. In a recent research article, you wrote that white people in the United States often don't even need to resort to the denial and distancing strategies we've talked about because of something you call herd invisibility. What does that mean? And how does herd invisibility happen?

Lowery: I think it happens in part because the society is structured in a way to hide the privilege that people benefit from. So you can see this in obvious ways, for example, segregation. Very few white folks in America actually have black friends. And many fewer live in circumstances where they see the disadvantages or the racial inequity in our system. So that segregation allows for people to be remain blind to their own advantages because they don't see the disadvantages that exist. They don't see the racial inequities. They blind themselves to the racial inequities simply by the way they go about their daily lives. They don't have to make a conscious choice to ignore it so much as it's hidden from them by the way the society is set up. So that's one way that you get herd invisibility. And then each individual act that white people engage in to deny or distance actually serves the broader white community, in that if I deny it exists and I create a narrative that it doesn't exist, then that serves you, even if you aren't actively denying it yourself.
Quote:
Mills: And these are some of the cloaking strategies that you described that people use to address some of the discomfort that they feel.

Lowery: Yes. So again, going back to the underlying psychology, I think when I talk about, when we talk about invisibility, it's an interesting and ironic way to talk about it because in reality, you have to be willfully ignorant not to see racial inequalities in our society. So the cloaking is a way of suggesting that what's happening, it is willful, but it doesn't require each individual person to participate at all times, right? So that's the herd immunity part, herd invisibility part rather. If enough people engage in it, it hides it, it allows an act of hiding from everyone. This is what's I think often hard to convey, that it really is an act of hiding. It's not that it can't be seen, because the water we swim in and that's sometimes how it's talked about.
Quote:
From my perspective, the disparities are so great, so stark and so easily accessible, that there really has to be some process in place to allow us to not see it. We have to engage in some psychological gymnastics as a society to deny its existence. And I think that's probably, for white people, there's discomfort when they're not allowed to do that.
https://www.apa.org/research/action/...hite-privilege

The best line from the interview is this: "We have to engage in some psychological gymnastics as a society to deny its existence."

It's the same gymnastics that Trump supporters have to resort to in order to ignore his stupidity, incompetence, racism and mental illness. It's the same gymnastics they have to resort to in order to claim that Jan. 6 was not an insurrection but only a peaceful protest and the rioters are "political prisoners'. They deserve a gold medal for how well they perform those psychological gymnastics.
Old Today, 01:23 PM   #1908
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
It's the same gymnastics that Trump supporters have to resort to in order to ignore his stupidity, incompetence, racism and mental illness. It's the same gymnastics they have to resort to in order to claim that Jan. 6 was not an insurrection but only a peaceful protest and the rioters are "political prisoners'. They deserve a gold medal for how well they perform those psychological gymnastics.[/b]
LOL.
Old Today, 01:32 PM   #1909
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

LOL.
Excellent, detailed, and convincing rebuttal. It could only be improved upon by an emotional "nuh-uh!"

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics