ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd November 2020, 05:32 PM   #41
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

This is a pretty good link.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1635092/

Quote:
Men, women, and murder: gender-specific differences in rates of fatal violence and victimization

A L Kellermann 1, J A Mercy

Affiliations expand
PMID: 1635092

Abstract
To study the potential differences that distinguish homicides involving women as victims or offenders from those involving men, we analyzed Federal Bureau of Investigation Uniform Crime Reports data on homicides that occurred in the United States between 1976 and 1987. Only cases that involved victims aged 15 years or older were included. Persons killed during law enforcement activity and cases in which the victim's gender was not recorded were excluded. A total of 215,273 homicides were studied, 77% of which involved male victims and 23% female victims. Although the overall risk of homicide for women was substantially lower than that of men (rate ratio [RR] = 0.27), their risk of being killed by a spouse or intimate acquaintance was higher (RR = 1.23). In contrast to men, the killing of a woman by a stranger was rare (RR = 0.18). More than twice as many women were shot and killed by their husband or intimate acquaintance than were murdered by strangers using guns, knives, or any other means. Although women comprise more than half the U.S. population, they committed only 14.7% of the homicides noted during the study interval. In contrast to men, who killed nonintimate acquaintances, strangers, or victims of undetermined relationship in 80% of cases, women killed their spouse, an intimate acquaintance, or a family member in 60% of cases. When men killed with a gun, they most commonly shot a stranger or a non-family acquaintance.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2020, 05:53 PM   #42
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
I'm not seeing where you're getting this from? I see the breakout of victims of homicide by sex, but no information about the proportion by sex of the perpetrator.
That's how I read the column headers. Though, now that you mention it, I may have misinterpreted them.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:41 AM   #43
RolandRat
Muse

Is there some subtext to this thread I'm just not getting? Some of the OP replies seem to actually be aimed somewhere else.
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:28 PM   #44
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
Is there some subtext to this thread I'm just not getting? Some of the OP replies seem to actually be aimed somewhere else.
If you hate women you could argue that the news article exaggerates the extent of how much severe British violence women face and that the article reads like pure extremist feminist propaganda instead of offering an impartial analysis of their claims.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:34 PM   #45
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
If you hate women you could argue that the news article exaggerates the extent of how much severe British violence women face and that the article reads like pure extremist feminist propaganda instead of offering an impartial analysis of their claims.
And if you love women, you could argue that the news article is Still disjointed and perplexing. Is this like an Escape Room thread?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events