IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Florida politics , Matt Gaetz , newsmax

Old 8th April 2021, 08:44 PM   #361
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Oh, I hope Gaetz has something on Trump...
Old 8th April 2021, 08:45 PM   #362
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jadebox View Post
They'd have done better putting the billboard on I98, going east to west along the Gulf Coast. If you go north on 85 where it is, you're getting into swamp people territory. The population north of Ft Walton Beach would see that as an opportunity for social mobility.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 09:11 PM   #363
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Oh, I hope Gaetz has something on Trump...
I doubt that Gaetz has ever been in Trump's circle. He's just a toady, even if a disgusting one.
Old 8th April 2021, 09:17 PM   #364
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

I doubt that Gaetz has ever been in Trump's circle. He's just a toady, even if a disgusting one.
He's not even a useful toady, or even a useful idiot.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 10:36 PM   #365
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

To be fair about it, a certain percentage of Trump’s inner circle were ordinary toadies and disgusting toadies.
Old 9th April 2021, 02:35 AM   #366
dirtywick
Illuminator

most of his circle didn't make it out of his presidency
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 04:04 AM   #367
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
It's entirely possible Gaetz unsuccessfully sought a pardon and Trump never even knew about it.

It's also entirely possible that Mr. "Person Woman Man Camera TV" has simply forgotten that conversation.
Old 9th April 2021, 04:05 AM   #368
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Looks like Gaetz used Venmo to send money to Greenberg, who then sent it to three different young women. He did so in two transactions. One with a memo line that said "test" and another that said "Hit Up <name of one of the recently turned 18 girls that got money from Greenberg>"

https://www.thedailybeast.com/gaetz-...en-venmod-teen

Last edited by bonzombiekitty; 9th April 2021 at 04:15 AM.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 06:10 AM   #369
jadebox
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
They'd have done better putting the billboard on I98, going east to west along the Gulf Coast. If you go north on 85 where it is, you're getting into swamp people territory. The population north of Ft Walton Beach would see that as an opportunity for social mobility.
Having lived most of the first half of my life just north of I-10 along Hwy 85, I have to disagree. I mean, I want to disagree. I mean ... oh, heck. Nevermind.

Now, I live in the county that elected Greenberg and kept him in office much too long as the allegations against him became more frequent and extreme.

I used to object when I heard people disparage Florida. Now, I just hang my head and sigh.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 06:19 AM   #370
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
It's also entirely possible that Mr. "Person Woman Man Camera TV" has simply forgotten that conversation.
Unsurprising.
Mr. "Person Woman Man Camera TV" usually forgot the beginning of any sentence he started with more than five words.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 06:20 AM   #371
Belz...
Fiend God

Toads are generally disgusting. But they're prettier than Gaetz.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 06:22 AM   #372
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

First crack in the wall.

Quote:
Rep. Adam Kinzinger has called on Matt Gaetz to resign, the first Republican to do so since it was revealed that Gaetz is being investigated over sex trafficking allegations
https://twitter.com/politico/status/1380372104772775937
Old 9th April 2021, 08:54 AM   #373
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Yet more potential wrong-doing on the part of Gaetz...

Federal investigators were told that Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) discussed running a sham candidate in the 2020 state Senate race with a lobbyist...to help Jason Brodeur, an associate of Gaetz’s, win an open seat in the Florida state Senate.

Granted, this one might be a bit harder to build a legal case for (since I don't know if there is any evidence it got past the discussion stage). Still, it certainly wouldn't be out of character for Gaetz to try something like that.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 09:36 AM   #374
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post

Federal investigators were told that Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) discussed running a sham candidate in the 2020 state Senate race with a lobbyist...to help Jason Brodeur, an associate of Gaetz’s, win an open seat in the Florida state Senate.

Granted, this one might be a bit harder to build a legal case for (since I don't know if there is any evidence it got past the discussion stage). Still, it certainly wouldn't be out of character for Gaetz to try something like that.
That sounds familiar. Didn't someone post about that a few months back?

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/poli...53m-story.html

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/poli...yxy-story.html

Or was that for another district in Florida?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 09:54 AM   #375
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Quote:

That sounds familiar. Didn't someone post about that a few months back?

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/poli...53m-story.html

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/poli...yxy-story.html

Or was that for another district in Florida?
Looks like it is the same district, but a slightly different scam.

The scam that Gaetz might have engaged in was one of "lets set up a new candidate to siphon off votes from our main democratic opponent."

The scam your references indicate are more of a "Lets foster artificial divisions in the Democratic base by suggesting the candidate is some sort of elitist".

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 11:32 AM   #376
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Gaetz’s office released a statement from the “women of Gaetz’s office” supporting him. Of course, nobody was named in the statement.
I don't even know what that means, "supporting him"

What is their basis for them to claim that he didn't do what he is being accused of doing?

Or do they think it was ok?

"Hey, Matt is a great guy so it's ok that he was having a relationship with a 17 year old!"
Old 9th April 2021, 12:49 PM   #377
dirtywick
Illuminator

I know he said he’s not resigning but it’s looking like he’ll be resigning
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 12:59 PM   #378
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

WaPo is reporting he's under investigation by the House Ethics Committee now. The alert I saw had a bit I found interesting. Apparently sharing inappropriate photos on the House floor violates some rule of the House. Someone had noted earlier that Congress is basically exempt from most workplace regulations. I wonder how extensively (or not) their own voluntarily adopted rules might cover some of the same ground.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 01:02 PM   #379
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
WaPo is reporting he's under investigation by the House Ethics Committee now. The alert I saw had a bit I found interesting. Apparently sharing inappropriate photos on the House floor violates some rule of the House. Someone had noted earlier that Congress is basically exempt from most workplace regulations. I wonder how extensively (or not) their own voluntarily adopted rules might cover some of the same ground.
I imagine to the extent they want at the time.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 01:11 PM   #380
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I imagine to the extent they want at the time.
Enough to boot Gaetz.
Old 9th April 2021, 01:13 PM   #381
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

I'm cynical about them having rules that offer the same broad coverage that other workplaces have, but I still expect they have a written rule of conduct. Don't expect they are going to make something up on the fly for this case.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 01:18 PM   #382
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I'm cynical about them having rules that offer the same broad coverage that other workplaces have, but I still expect they have a written rule of conduct. Don't expect they are going to make something up on the fly for this case.
Their rules likely have phrases like "conduct unbecoming of a house member" or "conduct that would tarnish the reputation of the body".

I doubt they have a "no nudes on the floor" rule.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 01:26 PM   #383
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Their rules likely have phrases like "conduct unbecoming of a house member" or "conduct that would tarnish the reputation of the body".

I doubt they have a "no nudes on the floor" rule.
No SHOWING PICTURES OF nudes on the floor. The other, involving Gaetz, would have been both gross and hilarious.
Old 9th April 2021, 01:29 PM   #384
eerok
Quixoticist

It's a dogpile, but I think it's well-deserved.

House InvestiGaetz: Florida Congressman’s Conduct Under Congressional Ethics Committee Microscope as Indicted Associate Seeks Plea Deal with Feds [lawandcrime.com]
Quote:
“The Committee is aware of public allegations that Representative Matt Gaetz may have engaged in sexual misconduct and/or illicit drug use, shared inappropriate images or videos on the House floor, misused state identification records, converted campaign funds to personal use, and/or accepted a bribe, improper gratuity, or impermissible gift, in violation of House Rules, laws, or other standards of conduct,” the statement from Committee Chairman Rep. Ted Deutch (D-Fla.) and Ranking Member Rep. Jackie Walorski (R-Ind.) began. “The Committee, pursuant to Committee Rule 18(a), has begun an investigation and will gather additional information regarding the allegations.”
Old 9th April 2021, 01:52 PM   #385
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
So he guilty, then.
I got a feeling that is why so few GOP congressmen are rushing to defend Gaetz.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 03:23 PM   #386
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop. The GOP shunning him for a little technically-underage jailbait is entirely out of character. This is the party that knowingly rallies around pedophiles and rapists, he should be in good company. I'd expect them to clap this creep on the back and say whaddaguy! But they aren't. So what else is going to get uncovered here?
Beelzebuddy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 03:31 PM   #387
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop. The GOP shunning him for a little technically-underage jailbait is entirely out of character. This is the party that knowingly rallies around pedophiles and rapists, he should be in good company. I'd expect them to clap this creep on the back and say whaddaguy! But they aren't. So what else is going to get uncovered here?
I don't think Gaetz has any particular talent or value. He's like a drunken frat boy face-down on the lawn. One just steps over him and parties on.
Old 9th April 2021, 04:09 PM   #388
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think Gaetz has any particular talent or value. He's like a drunken frat boy face-down on the lawn. One just steps over him and parties on.
He's in a safe GOP district. The Republican Governor merely appoints another troll and nothing actually changes.
Old 9th April 2021, 04:20 PM   #389
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop. The GOP shunning him for a little technically-underage jailbait is entirely out of character. This is the party that knowingly rallies around pedophiles and rapists...So what else is going to get uncovered here?
I don't think Gaetz has any particular talent or value.
Actually I'd say if anything, he actually has negative value.

Any republican with a sense of self-preservation probably realizes that 1) Trumpism is toxic to their long term success, and 2) They need Trump (or his voters) in the short term. So, many will suck up to him now, until some point in the future he loses power/influence. (It wouldn't surprise me if Moscow Mitch had a death pool going, to figure out when Trump would die and they can return to their regular grifting instead of Trump grifting.)

Having people like Gaetz around amplifies Trumpism, and threatens to extend the damage for a longer period of time.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 9th April 2021, 04:31 PM   #390
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

Having lived most of the first half of my life just north of I-10 along Hwy 85, I have to disagree. I mean, I want to disagree. I mean ... oh, heck. Nevermind.

Now, I live in the county that elected Greenberg and kept him in office much too long as the allegations against him became more frequent and extreme.

I used to object when I heard people disparage Florida. Now, I just hang my head and sigh.
Don't feel too bad, I've been trying to vote Lamborne out since the 2000s, when I found out he'd avoided working for his constituents by accusing the grandmother who came to him with evidence of bad city water of child pornography. He's still getting re-elected every time...
Old 9th April 2021, 04:50 PM   #391
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Actually I'd say if anything, he actually has negative value.

Any republican with a sense of self-preservation probably realizes that 1) Trumpism is toxic to their long term success, and 2) They need Trump (or his voters) in the short term. So, many will suck up to him now, until some point in the future he loses power/influence. (It wouldn't surprise me if Moscow Mitch had a death pool going, to figure out when Trump would die and they can return to their regular grifting instead of Trump grifting.)

Having people like Gaetz around amplifies Trumpism, and threatens to extend the damage for a longer period of time.
I don't know how much any of that matters, since logic seems to play a small part in the modern GOP. Even self-preservation is questionable if it means breaking with popular right-wing delusions. It's easier to just lie one's way through everything. This more or less worked for Trump.

But it does look as if few of the GOP care very much about Gaetz, so party solidarity may no longer be a meaningful force.

I don't know. I'd just like to see Gaetz held accountable for his wrongdoing. He represents a level of sleazy privilege that I find disgusting.

Last edited by eerok; 9th April 2021 at 04:52 PM.
eerok is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 04:55 PM   #392
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Hey, Florida is not that bad. You still have some good fishing, Disney World and I understand the stripper capitol of the United States. Keep your chin up go and get some singles.
Old 9th April 2021, 04:55 PM   #393
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Using campaign funds to pay for girls. Only the big guys get away with pilfering campaign funds and they don't want this stupid little peon attracting attention.

ETA: And maybe they're afraid the charges won't come before the 2022 election leaving room for a Democratic win despite low odds.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 9th April 2021 at 04:58 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 04:57 PM   #394
dmaker
Graduate Poster

It seems that Matt Gaetz is still going to speak this evening to the Women for America First group in Doral.

I briefly thought that he might be pulled as a speaker given all the current controversy surrounding Gaetz.
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 06:05 PM   #395
dirtywick
Illuminator

Ironically, but to no one's surprise, a congressman and his tax collector crony is sex trafficking underage girls, showing the pictures around, and paying for it all with tax payer funds and the QAnon conspiracy nuts and other right wing conspiracy nuts who have been warning about this very thing for years are suddenly skeptical about it all.

They vote for the guys that do this stuff and don't trust the people out there trying to stop them. Every single time.
Old 9th April 2021, 06:07 PM   #396
dirtywick
Illuminator

I don't know how much any of that matters, since logic seems to play a small part in the modern GOP. Even self-preservation is questionable if it means breaking with popular right-wing delusions. It's easier to just lie one's way through everything. This more or less worked for Trump.

But it does look as if few of the GOP care very much about Gaetz, so party solidarity may no longer be a meaningful force.

I don't know. I'd just like to see Gaetz held accountable for his wrongdoing. He represents a level of sleazy privilege that I find disgusting.
I'd say you'd have to be, at least, a Senator to get away with something like this. Even then, the underage **** is a bit much.

Gaetz, I think, is doomed. This is pretty bad.
Old 9th April 2021, 07:45 PM   #397
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dmaker View Post
It seems that Matt Gaetz is still going to speak this evening to the Women for America First group in Doral.

I briefly thought that he might be pulled as a speaker given all the current controversy surrounding Gaetz.
"America First" was quite the movement in the late 1930's. They were actual Nazis. And the new ones still are, 90 years later.
Old 9th April 2021, 08:10 PM   #398
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
I'd say you'd have to be, at least, a Senator to get away with something like this. Even then, the underage **** is a bit much.

Gaetz, I think, is doomed. This is pretty bad.
He says he's not going anywhere.
Old 9th April 2021, 08:23 PM   #399
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

They rallied around a pedophile and rapist who had something to offer. There was lots of fundraising and organization with the other pedophile and rapist. This one, not so much.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 08:39 PM   #400
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
"America First" was quite the movement in the late 1930's. They were actual Nazis. And the new ones still are, 90 years later.
Indeed, and hilariously, given all the BS that GOP have spewed out about Dr Seuss and cancel culture, the sentiment in this cartoon seems as appropriate today as it was in 1941

If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!

Last edited by smartcooky; 9th April 2021 at 08:58 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics