IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Florida politics , Matt Gaetz , newsmax

Old 13th April 2021, 05:36 AM   #441
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I think the Dems are probably hoping Gaetz stays in the House. He would be a gift the keeps on giving for them..just like Taylor Green.

And I think it's time that some of the cynical types finally admit that most of the Dems aren't playing these kind of stupid partisan games. The vast majority of them would be only too happy to deep six all these idiots if it meant Congress could actually begin to function properly again.

I give you the Story of Two COVID Relief Packages:

Quote:
The relief package, unveiled Monday afternoon, sped through the House and Senate in a matter of hours. The Senate cleared the massive package by a 92-6 vote after the House approved the COVID-19 package by another lopsided vote, 359-53. The tallies were a bipartisan coda to months of partisanship and politicking as lawmakers wrangled over the relief question, a logjam that broke after President-elect Joe Biden urged his party to accept a compromise with top Republicans that is smaller than many Democrats would have liked.

Quote:
The 220-211 vote sends the legislation to President Joe Biden' for his signature, securing him his first legislative victory since he took office less than two months ago.

Biden will sign the bill Friday, White House press secretary Jen Psaki said.

The Senate passed the bill in a 50-49 vote Saturday after making changes to the original version passed by the House, including lowering unemployment benefits and reducing the number of people who will receive stimulus checks.

The bill passed with near-unanimous Democratic support and without any Republican votes, a sharp contrast that raises the political stakes of the measure.

When Trump was "president", the Dems in Congress largely voted to support legislation that actually did something to help the people in the United States, even if they thought it wasn't enough. Now that Biden is President, literally none of the Republicans in Congress were willing to budge even an inch on anything to do with actually helping people.

If you can't see that there's a fundamental difference between how these two groups approach the functioning of the government, then your opinion is just worthless cynicism.
Old 13th April 2021, 06:33 AM   #442
Monza
Alta Viro

Yes, it's horrible that the Republicans are now very much partisan only. They didn't even have an agenda for the last election, just "let's do whatever Trump wants." Instead of pushing forward what they believe in, it is now simply a sports mentality: to oppose whatever the guys in the other color jerseys do.

Covid relief is hardly a partisan issue. What helps a red state also helps a blue state. This should have been a no-brainer to pass a bill that helps everyone, but it is now better for most Republicans that the Democrats lose, rather than they win.
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2021, 06:39 AM   #443
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Every one of the MAGA crowd think Trump will never abandon them until he does.
I've never understood this. You only get to be in his inner circle because the petulant toddler got tired of the toy before you. The number of people who don't notice this amazes me.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2021, 09:08 AM   #444
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I've never understood this. You only get to be in his inner circle because the petulant toddler got tired of the toy before you. The number of people who don't notice this amazes me.
I think this of most second wives and every third wife I've ever met.

Anything beyond third wife I assume we are all on the same page.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2021, 09:18 AM   #445
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
The same way every gambler at Vegas is going to win big because "no I'm different I have a system" and people still fall for pyramid schemes.

They don't do these things because they don't know how the system works, they just are so egotistical they think they are better than it.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2021, 09:31 AM   #446
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I'm reminded of Imperial Officers wondering why it is so easy to get promoted under Vader.
Old 13th April 2021, 11:21 AM   #447
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'm reminded of Imperial Officers wondering why it is so easy to get promoted under Vader.
After Trump I no longer question how the Joker keeps finding henchmen willing to go fight Batman after watching the last 20 get put in traction.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2021, 11:52 AM   #448
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
After Trump I no longer question how the Joker keeps finding henchmen willing to go fight Batman after watching the last 20 get put in traction.
Yep. Same reason "The Monarch" can always find willing henchmen to fight off Brock Samson - they never think it will happen to them.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2021, 12:01 PM   #449
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
And I think it's time that some of the cynical types finally admit that most of the Dems aren't playing these kind of stupid partisan games. The vast majority of them would be only too happy to deep six all these idiots if it meant Congress could actually begin to function properly again.

I give you the Story of Two COVID Relief Packages:

When Trump was "president", the Dems in Congress largely voted to support legislation that actually did something to help the people in the United States, even if they thought it wasn't enough. Now that Biden is President, literally none of the Republicans in Congress were willing to budge even an inch on anything to do with actually helping people.

If you can't see that there's a fundamental difference between how these two groups approach the functioning of the government, then your opinion is just worthless cynicism.
My name is Joe Manchin and I ignore this message.
Old 13th April 2021, 12:52 PM   #450
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
My name is Joe Manchin and I ignore this message.

It should be noted that, as annoying as Manchin is right now, he's still worlds better than even an average GOP member of Congress. While Manchin might hold out for his preferred options more than we might like, he at least does articulate what those options are, and would vote for them if they were offered. Which again is miles better than the GOP, who've we seen time and time again reject a compromise position that they themselves were promoting before it actually came up for a vote.
Old 13th April 2021, 01:23 PM   #451
sackett
Philosopher

Is it true that you pronounce the little chicken squat's name "gates?"

I want to pronounce it like the old hoodlum slang word for a gun. As in, "Dem guys's awl packing GATS, man!"

Sounds more appropriately nasty, IMHO.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2021, 01:49 PM   #452
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

It should be noted that, as annoying as Manchin is right now, he's still worlds better than even an average GOP member of Congress.
People should also remember than Manchin is from West Virginia, a state that leans very heavily towards the republicans. (Stubby McBonespurs got more than twice the vote of Biden there in 2020.)

So, if Manchin were not the senator from West Virginia, you would likely have a GOP senator that would more than likely be a far right tea partier/Trumpist.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2021, 01:55 PM   #453
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
People should also remember than Manchin is from West Virginia, a state that leans very heavily towards the republicans. (Stubby McBonespurs got more than twice the vote of Biden there in 2020.)

So, if Manchin were not the senator from West Virginia, you would likely have a GOP senator that would more than likely be a far right tea partier/Trumpist.
Politics is the art of the possible and should be based on accepting reality;reality is that Manchin would be replaced by somebody worse.
I don's care much for Manchin and his pandering to his electorate, but the alternative is worse.
He is the lesser of two evils..and at times you have to settle for that because, realsitically, that is the only choice you have.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2021, 01:56 PM   #454
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yeah but politics is one of those places where a lot of people think the people who think that 2+2=5 are much bigger problem then the people who think that 2+2="A potato."

There's just something about people who are almost on your side but not quite that just triggers something in a lot of people that an outright "enemy" does not.

Old 13th April 2021, 01:57 PM   #455
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

It should be noted that, as annoying as Manchin is right now, he's still worlds better than even an average GOP member of Congress. While Manchin might hold out for his preferred options more than we might like, he at least does articulate what those options are, and would vote for them if they were offered. Which again is miles better than the GOP, who've we seen time and time again reject a compromise position that they themselves were promoting before it actually came up for a vote.
Sadly, a lot of people don't like to recognize reality because it clashes with their ideological preferences.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2021, 02:17 PM   #456
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Yeah but politics is one of those places where a lot of people think the people who think that 2+2=5 are much bigger problem then the people who think that 2+2="A potato."

There's just something about people who are almost on your side but not quite that just triggers something in a lot of people that an outright "enemy" does not.

It's annoying because we think, "Well, five isn't that far off, I'm sure if I just explain it to him he'll understand!" Meanwhile, we see "potato" and realize there's just no point in even trying. You can't talk Potato into anything, the best you can hope for is that they'll be voted out.

This is part of why I started my "Put up or Shut up" thread. I want people to think about what they can actually do, and not waste time on wet dreams.
Old 13th April 2021, 07:20 PM   #457
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Every one of the MAGA crowd think Trump will never abandon them until he does.
Which makes them stupid because there is overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2021, 07:23 PM   #458
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Look, if you can't manage to believe that Trump will become president again both in April and in August, you don't have enough faith to deserve president Trump.
They both begin with "A". What more do you WANT? Sheesh.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2021, 07:26 PM   #459
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Yep. Same reason "The Monarch" can always find willing henchmen to fight off Brock Samson - they never think it will happen to them.
Poor Speedy.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2021, 07:32 PM   #460
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Is it true that you pronounce the little chicken squat's name "gates?"

I want to pronounce it like the old hoodlum slang word for a gun. As in, "Dem guys's awl packing GATS, man!"

Sounds more appropriately nasty, IMHO.
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post

This is what I tried explaining to my husband last night who thinks he's just on a power trip. Manchin must be seen by his constituents not to be a Dem rubber stamp and willing to work with Republicans.
Old 14th April 2021, 10:21 AM   #461
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Two women come to Matt Gaetz's defense, say sex and drug-fueled parties did not involve minors

https://www.salon.com/2021/04/14/two...nvolve-minors/

Oh, wait, have you even heard about the alleged sex and drug fueled parties that the Matt Gaetz was having?

Well, good news, they didn't involve any minors. ... apparently.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2021, 11:12 AM   #462
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Two women come to Matt Gaetz's defense, say sex and drug-fueled parties did not involve minors

https://www.salon.com/2021/04/14/two...nvolve-minors/

Oh, wait, have you even heard about the alleged sex and drug fueled parties that the Matt Gaetz was having?

Well, good news, they didn't involve any minors. ... apparently.
Quick, find a couple of minors willing to say the sex parties didn't involve any drugs!

Then, we'll need some drug dealers to say that the minor-filled drug parties didn't have any sex.
Old 14th April 2021, 11:24 AM   #463
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Well, I for one am glad to hear the drunk and drugged hooker-banger is not also a public pedophile.
Old 14th April 2021, 12:02 PM   #464
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

One of Gaetz'a aids is "Fully Cooperating" with the investigators,which is polite language for the guy has turned rat on Gaetz. I thin, one way or another, he is toast. Which is why even Donnie wants nothing to do with him.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 14th April 2021, 12:33 PM   #465
Elagabalus
Philosopher

The dude really does look like the villain in one of those 80's college comedies.
Old 14th April 2021, 12:45 PM   #466
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
One of Gaetz'a aids is "Fully Cooperating" with the investigators,which is polite language for the guy has turned rat on Gaetz. I thin, one way or another, he is toast. Which is why even Donnie wants nothing to do with him.
Good. I can't stand his smug face and idiotic antics. Drain the ******* swamp.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2021, 12:51 PM   #467
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Good. I can't stand his smug face and idiotic antics. Drain the ******* swamp.
From what is happening, the vast majority of Gaetz's GOP collegues feel the same way. They might not actively move to remove him, but they sure as hell are not don anything to defend him. That says tons of how they fell about him.
The guy apparently has almost no friends in congress. Evne the Trump team members, behind closed doors, though he was a total jerk.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 14th April 2021, 01:42 PM   #468
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder what his fiancee thinks about all this. He sounds like perfect husband material, a real catch!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2021, 01:45 PM   #469
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
I wonder what his fiancee thinks about all this. He sounds like perfect husband material, a real catch!
Betting Money? "I stand by him during these difficult times" now and the near future followed by a quiet ending of the relationship in a few months, regardless of how this plays out.

Old 14th April 2021, 01:51 PM   #470
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Betting Money? "I stand by him during these difficult times" now and the near future followed by a quiet ending of the relationship in a few months, regardless of how this plays out.
Maybe. I imagine she is taking a much closer look at the pre-nup his family's attorney likely sent over a few weeks ago.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2021, 02:03 PM   #471
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 14th April 2021, 02:14 PM   #472
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Maybe. I imagine she is taking a much closer look at the pre-nup his family's attorney likely sent over a few weeks ago.
I am wondering if he or she has more money in their respective families.

Gaetz' father did have a health care business that he sold for hundreds of millions of dollars. His fiancee (Ginger Luckey) is a student, but her family also seems to be quite wealthy... her brother sold his technology business for millions, her mother took her to Mar a Lago, etc.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2021, 02:23 PM   #473
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
She's just a beard anyway.
Old 14th April 2021, 03:53 PM   #474
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Democrats: "Oh lookit at this! I found some rope! Oh I know! I'll give it to the Republicans to hang themselves! It's the perfect plan!"

Me: "Oh wait, remember what happened like the last 10 times you tried that..."

Democrats: "Oh nonsense! It will work this time."

SpongeBob Announcer: "Five... minutes... later."

*One end of the rope is wrapped around the country's neck, the other half around the Democrat's balls, all while the Republicans merrily play jump rope between them*
Exactly.
On another board a troll asserted that the Democrats stole the election.
Someone responded
Quote:
The Democrats launched a multi-state election rigging scheme and did it so well that the Republicans cannot find a shred of court-admissible evidence. The Democrats did that. The DEMOCRATS! Hahahahaha
If I believed something that silly I’d keep my mouth shut.

Last edited by Ladewig; 14th April 2021 at 03:55 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2021, 04:00 PM   #475
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

I wouldn't assume this is really that surprising to her. His sexual proclivities were an open secret. The exact nature of this scandal has particular legal problems for him, but I really doubt she was unaware of his habits, generally speaking. She's probably ok with it. There's no reason to assume his horndog lifestyle is something that would be shocking or scandalizing to this lady.
Old 14th April 2021, 04:15 PM   #476
Nosi
Master Poster

You usually put garbage in the trash can.
Beautifully put.

Hiding from the
Nosi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2021, 04:19 PM   #477
Nosi
Master Poster

But that's the part I don't get - how "tough" is it, really? Now he literally doesn't have to do anything at all, other than whine about how the Democrats won't listen to the GOP. He needs no policies, no positions, no fact-finding, or all that other stuff he'd have to pretend to care about if they were actually in charge any more. Instead of "whine and quit", it should be "whine and cash your paycheck."

Unless the new gig pays a lot more, of course. What kind of premium would you need to give up a job where you have literally nothing you have to do?
The man's probably thinking the kerfuffle with the Human Trafficking of underage girls will die down if he ditches his government job.

Hiding from the
Nosi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2021, 04:26 PM   #478
Nosi
Master Poster

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Cheers.

I saw him on Faux News tonight with Carlson...the No. 1 and No. 2 most punchable faces on US television!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y4zzs6e6bd...aetz.jpg?raw=1
Even Carlson didn't know what to make of Gaetz.

Hiding from the
Old 14th April 2021, 05:18 PM   #479
Nosi
Master Poster

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Yup... the right wing media is a septic tank, and Fox is at the top... because the biggest pieces of **** always float to the top!
No, the biggest aren't the ones to float to the top, the gassiest are. And we all know how big the windbags at Fox are.

Hiding from the
Old 14th April 2021, 05:27 PM   #480
Nosi
Master Poster

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Yep - I was thinking of travel costs and maybe gifts. I hadn't even dreamt that he would have directly paid some girl like a sugar daddy thing. What a dope.

I had one friend that used to show us nude photos of his gal pals; it was always creepy and almost never appreciated. Oh, and we were on a golf cart or in a bar, not on the floor of the House of Representatives.
Gaetz paid the girl using Venmo, and he left that info public.

Hiding from the

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics