IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2022 elections , Charles Booker , Kentucky politics , rand paul , senate elections

Old 23rd October 2021, 06:24 AM   #1
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

CORY Booker, another Amy McGrath?

Do you think Cory Booker has a shot at unsettling Senator Rand Paul, in 20/20 or is he just another Amy McGrath should someone Tougher Run as an Independent?
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2021, 08:45 AM   #2
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

You mean Charles, right? Cory has no chance.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2021, 10:15 AM   #3
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

That sentence is sure unsettling me.
Old 23rd October 2021, 10:53 AM   #4
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
You mean Charles, right? Cory has no chance.
This guy, right? Cory's from NJ.
https://charlesbooker.org/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2021, 05:20 PM   #5
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Yes Charles, exactly my point he isn't that well known state wide.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:30 AM   #6
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

No. Kentucky went for Trump in all but two counties. The Democrat running against Moscow Mitch only took three counties. Paul has a lot more negatives than Mitch but not enough to overcome that level of polarization.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:11 AM   #7
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
No. Kentucky went for Trump in all but two counties. The Democrat running against Moscow Mitch only took three counties. Paul has a lot more negatives than Mitch but not enough to overcome that level of polarization.

I could Beat Rand Paul in Kentucky, because I am not a coward to tell the Truth.
Old Yesterday, 06:05 AM   #8
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crazy Chainsaw View Post
I could Beat Rand Paul in Kentucky, because I am not a coward to tell the Truth.
I think it's less a question of telling the truth, and more a question of whether the people of Kentucky care about what you have to say, and whether they believe you when you say it.

What truths would you tell Kentuckians, that would cause them to vote for you instead of Rand Paul?
Old Yesterday, 07:00 AM   #9
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Sorry, but the people of Kentucky want liars big time.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:44 AM   #10
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Sorry, but the people of Kentucky want liars big time.
We don't even have to stoop that far. It may simply be that they're not particularly interested in CC's brand of truth.
Old Yesterday, 07:49 AM   #11
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
We don't even have to stoop that far. It may simply be that they're not particularly interested in CC's brand of truth.
There is no brand of Truth.
Old Yesterday, 08:33 AM   #12
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

There is no brand of Truth.
If you say so.

I'll just repeat my question to you:

What truths would you tell Kentuckians, that would cause them to vote for you instead of Rand Paul?
Old Yesterday, 08:58 AM   #13
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

If you say so.

I'll just repeat my question to you:

There are a 1000 page book full, first showing how Kentucky has been held back for decades by Republicans.
Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM   #14
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

There are a 1000 page book full, first showing how Kentucky has been held back for decades by Republicans.
I'm pretty sure that Kentuckians aren't going to be interested in reading a 1000 page book just to figure out who to vote for. You would probably have to come up with a short list of clear, concise, and true summary statements about why you would be a better candidate than Paul. What kind of bullet points would you use to summarize the truth, in a way that fits into a campaign speech or campaign ad?
Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM   #15
Donal
Illuminator

Not how it works. Even before partisanship went nuclear in the US, people dug in on their chosen truths. That's why swinging big and trying to take high-level seats rarely works (KY governor is an exception under special circumstances). You gotta do the groundwork. Why do you think the GOP focused on older voters and local elections for so long? Political movements work from the bottom up, even if you are juicing it with money from the top.

It's not that someone like Rand Paul is well-liked or a skilled politician. He's a transplant from Texas who went to the same medical school as his daddy, who also held political office for decades. He's everything they claim to oppose. But, the GOP has driven the messaging in Kentucky from the lowest levels on up. And Rand Paul happens to be the guy there.

It's a lesson that progressives have either finally figured out or is finally bearing fruit. You're not going to flip Senate and governor seats in one cycle. You gotta win hearts and minds.
Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM   #16
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

I'm pretty sure that Kentuckians aren't going to be interested in reading a 1000 page book just to figure out who to vote for. You would probably have to come up with a short list of clear, concise, and true summary statements about why you would be a better candidate than Paul. What kind of bullet points would you use to summarize the truth, in a way that fits into a campaign speech or campaign ad?
One The Fact that Paul cannot prove his Covid Conspiracy Theories, even now White Tailed deer in Kentucky are catching Covid -19, that shows this virus is highly transmittable between Humans and other species. Any Species in c.ose proximity to man that could carry the Virus could have transmitted it to a Human In China. Nature needs no human hand to design a virus to kill us Providence God is Perfectly Capable of doing that on his own.
Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM   #17
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
Not how it works. Even before partisanship went nuclear in the US, people dug in on their chosen truths. That's why swinging big and trying to take high-level seats rarely works (KY governor is an exception under special circumstances). You gotta do the groundwork. Why do you think the GOP focused on older voters and local elections for so long? Political movements work from the bottom up, even if you are juicing it with money from the top.

It's not that someone like Rand Paul is well-liked or a skilled politician. He's a transplant from Texas who went to the same medical school as his daddy, who also held political office for decades. He's everything they claim to oppose. But, the GOP has driven the messaging in Kentucky from the lowest levels on up. And Rand Paul happens to be the guy there.

It's a lesson that progressives have either finally figured out or is finally bearing fruit. You're not going to flip Senate and governor seats in one cycle. You gotta win hearts and minds.
I happen to live in Kentucky.
Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM   #18
Donal
Illuminator

So does Amy McGrath. So does Jack Conway. So does Jim Gray. What do you think you can do that they can't?
Old Yesterday, 12:12 PM   #19
carlitos
"más divertido"

That sentence is sure unsettling me.
There is kind of a deep pun on 2020 hindsight if you read it right. But no, the Senator from New Jersey shouldn't go around unsettling anyone. I'll be placing my absentee vote for Tougher Run (I).
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:17 PM   #20
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
So does Amy McGrath. So does Jack Conway. So does Jim Gray. What do you think you can do that they can't?
They are Democrats I am a Former Republican, and I know every dirty trick in the book, My Republican family taught everything to me.
Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM   #21
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I happen to live in Kentucky.
And I looked at the 2020 election map for Kentucky. I also looked at Paul's last race. He didn't win as big as Moscow Mitch but the Dem wasn't even in striking distance. You can't rely on Mitch to Blue Falcon Paul like he did Bevins in the Governor's race. Mitch may despise Paul with the intensity of a thousand suns, but he won't risk a seat in his precious Senate over something as silly as principles or vendetta.

Dems are better off putting resources into Pennsylvania, Georgia, Arizona and Wisconsin. They need to keep Georgia and Arizona and expand into Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM   #22
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

They are Democrats I am a Former Republican, and I know every dirty trick in the book, My Republican family taught everything to me.
I'm not sure what part of this "logic" I like better. The idea that Dems don't know any good dirty tricks, or the idea that CC has learned them all and wouldn't hesitate to use them.
Old Yesterday, 04:24 PM   #23
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

It's almost November in 2021. How's your donor list? What's the war chest look like? Were you at the State Fair this year? How did you spend Memorial Day? How's staff recruiting going? What about volunteers? Been to any church picnics lately? What does your social media presence look like?
Old Yesterday, 06:01 PM   #24
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

I'm not sure what part of this "logic" I like better. The idea that Dems don't know any good dirty tricks, or the idea that CC has learned them all and wouldn't hesitate to use them.
"Only Fools fight fair in Kentucky, Mitch McConnell never did." William H. NATCHER.
Old Yesterday, 06:05 PM   #25
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

It's almost November in 2021. How's your donor list? What's the war chest look like? Were you at the State Fair this year? How did you spend Memorial Day? How's staff recruiting going? What about volunteers? Been to any church picnics lately? What does your social media presence look like?
I can make Rand Paul look like a fool on YouTube and in Kentucky Press.
Old Yesterday, 06:25 PM   #26
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

"Only Fools fight fair in Kentucky, Mitch McConnell never did." William H. NATCHER.
I don't know who that is.

Anyway, the only truly unfair thing I can think of in a political campaign is actual voter fraud. Are you saying you'd stoop to voter fraud, to win this election?

Actually, let's back up a moment. You say your family has taught you every dirty trick? Why haven't you gone public, all day every day in Kentucky, telling voters all about these dirty tricks, calling out the politicians who are playing these tricks?

You have everything it takes to defeat Rand Paul. You have everything you need to convince people not to vote for Rand Paul. But instead of doing anything useful, you're posting on an Internet backwater about... Cory Booker?
Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM   #27
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

And yet you've done nothing and here we are with Paul about to win an election. What do you want? A cookie?
Old Yesterday, 07:57 PM   #28
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

How? What are you doing to drive that traffic to your channel? How are you getting earned media so you can make Paul look like a fool? Does your platform have anything to it beyond Rand Paul is a dick? Your first race is the primary and your voters there already know that.

ETA: I searched Rand Paul Kentucky on YouTube and all I saw was Paul's earned media (though much of that doesn't help him all that much). I had to scroll a long way down (by which I mean farther down than your likely voters will) to find any anti Paul content.

Last edited by Craig4; Yesterday at 08:05 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:33 PM   #29
mgidm86
Philosopher

Don't forget that CC could have single-handedly prevented the Trump presidency if only he'd spoken up. Going viral on Youtube should be a snap.

Edit:
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=354624
Old Yesterday, 10:56 PM   #30
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Don't forget that CC could have single-handedly prevented the Trump presidency if only he'd spoken up. Going viral on Youtube should be a snap.

Edit:
That's kind of what I don't get here. There's no shortage of people pointing out the ugly truths about Trump and Rand Paul. What's his YouTube channel going to do that all the others haven't?

If you search YouTube with, "Rand Paul," and a number of insults and/or negative value statements, all you get is branded media. There are couple of issue advocacy groups with videos but pretty far down in the search results. You have to go to nearly the point where it asks you if you want to load more videos to even find one of Paul's own organization's videos (which makes it clear why you need earned media; getting your message on their channel moves you up in the all important search results ranking).

Last edited by Craig4; Yesterday at 10:59 PM.
Old Today, 02:19 AM   #31
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

That's kind of what I don't get here. There's no shortage of people pointing out the ugly truths about Trump and Rand Paul. What's his YouTube channel going to do that all the others haven't?

If you search YouTube with, "Rand Paul," and a number of insults and/or negative value statements, all you get is branded media. There are couple of issue advocacy groups with videos but pretty far down in the search results. You have to go to nearly the point where it asks you if you want to load more videos to even find one of Paul's own organization's videos (which makes it clear why you need earned media; getting your message on their channel moves you up in the all important search results ranking).
Think about Paul's and Mitch McConnell's connections to the Failed Russian Aluminum Plant, or the Fact That Rand Paul is a conspiracy Theorists, I was thinking of a Thou Shalt Not Bare False witness Type of video.
Old Today, 04:00 AM   #32
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post

Edit:
If I hadn't spoken to Jerome Corsi, World Net Daily would have been bankrupted in 2008, their would have been No birther movement and no Trump.
Old Today, 04:42 AM   #33
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

If I hadn't spoken to Jerome Corsi, World Net Daily would have been bankrupted in 2008, their would have been No birther movement and no Trump.
Oh, get a grip. Obama was dealing with birther CTs while he was still running for the Senate in Illinois. You did nothing of the kind. Corsi is hardly the founder of birtherism. WND is a "news" aggregator. It was pulling in that crap from all over the place.
Old Today, 04:44 AM   #34
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Think about Paul's and Mitch McConnell's connections to the Failed Russian Aluminum Plant, or the Fact That Rand Paul is a conspiracy Theorists, I was thinking of a Thou Shalt Not Bare False witness Type of video.
Who is going to see it?
Old Today, 05:50 AM   #35
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Oh, get a grip. Obama was dealing with birther CTs while he was still running for the Senate in Illinois. You did nothing of the kind. Corsi is hardly the founder of birtherism. WND is a "news" aggregator. It was pulling in that crap from all over the place.
CORSI, Trump, and Joe Arapio were the main supporters of Birtherism.
Old Today, 05:50 AM   #36
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Who is going to see it?
Everyone in Kentucky If I do it right.
Old Today, 06:47 AM   #37
carlitos
"más divertido"

CORSI, Trump, and Joe Arapio were the main supporters of Birtherism.
IIRC, Joseph Farah was the one who put up the billboards. His daughter worked in the Trump White House.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:54 AM   #38
Donal
Illuminator

I can guarantee the Democrats know more. We're talking about the party of LBJ. The problem is they are unwilling to use them. For 2 reasons:

1) They are mostly institutionalists, at least party leadership is. They think they can claim "moral victories" and win in the long run. Good luck breaking through that.

2) Engaging in those tactics really only does escalate their use. And a lot of what the republicans do would undo any good the Dems can do if they engaged in them.
Old Today, 06:57 AM   #39
Donal
Illuminator

Again, not how that sort of thing works. Look at how Fauci makes Paul look like a petulant child during testimony. But, it doesn't matter. Paul goes back to his supporters, shows the exact same video we all watch and claims victory.

You're not fighting one guy, you're fighting a machine.
Old Today, 07:24 AM   #40
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

An accusatory youtube video? That's the dirty trick you learned from your Republican family, that Democrats don't know about?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics