IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 16th September 2021, 11:38 PM   #1841
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Yup.

"****-hole countries"... Only joking

"There are very fine people... on both sides"
... Only joking

"Democrats were "treasonous" and “un-American” for remaining seated and quiet during his State of the Union address last week."... Only joking

"When you see these towns and when you see these thugs being thrown into the back of a paddy wagon, you just see them thrown in, rough," Trump said during a speech to law enforcement officials on Long Island. "I said, ‘please don’t be too nice.'"... Only joking

"find the 30,000 emails that are missing from Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton"... only joking
Here are some other Trump quotes that were later claimed to be "only joking":

Quote:
"When you do testing to that extent, you're going to find more people; you're going to find more cases. So I said to my people, ‘Slow the testing down please."
“If it did slow down, frankly, I think we're way ahead of ourselves, if you want to know the truth. We've done too good a job, because every time we go out with 25 million tests, you're gonna find more people.”
Quote:
“Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing.”
Quote:
"I am the chosen one"
Quote:
"And then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning. Because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs. So it would be interesting to check that. So, that, you're going to have to use medical doctors with. But it sounds -- it sounds interesting to me."
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2021, 04:34 AM   #1842
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Yep, and made himself look a money hungry fool in the process by spending the 20th anniversary of 9/11 at such a stupid event.
Or, in the eyes of his followers, “smart”.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2021, 04:38 AM   #1843
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Or, in the eyes of compared to the majority of his followers, “smart”.
Better?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2021, 05:02 AM   #1844
Ethan Thane Athen
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
A modern day Richard Rich.
Richard Rich was a courtier in Tudor England. who ,essentaily, would do anything to get in the Monarch's good graces. His abilty to shift his positions was breathtaking. He went from being a militant Protestent to being a devout Catholic overnight when Mary the First took over, and went back to being a protestent when Elizabeth took the throne.
He was a charecter in "A Man For All Seasons" where..and this is accurate historically, he perjured himself to convict Thomas More, and was rewarded with a lucrative post in Wales.
Which led to my favorite line in A Man For All Seasons:

"To gain the world and lose your soul is a bad bargain, Richard....but for Wales?".
I often think of that line when Graham is mentioned.
You missed out the rest of the line "...but for Wales, it's clearly worth it"
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2021, 05:32 AM   #1845
Ethan Thane Athen
Master Poster

WRT Milley, he's not stupid. I sincerely doubt (especially with all those others present) that he said anything untoward. Even the supposed quote "If we’re going to attack, I’m going to call you ahead of time. It’s not going to be a surprise." does not necessarily mean what people are interpreting it as ie 'I'll call to tell you the details of the attack' but is much more likely to be part of a calming conversation pointing out how far away they are from attacking ie if we were about to attack you, we'd have had a lot more conversations with me increasingly warning of the consequences if you don't comply with xyz'...besides, declaration of war is actually a thing that gets done through diplomatic channels...

Those trying to infer this as some sort of treason are off the wall but then that's no surprise.

Oh and Miller is a scumbag for pretending he knew nothing about it (perhaps he's covering himself by saying he knew nothing of 'secret' talks because these weren't secret but fully sanctioned).

On a separate topic - pretty stunned at one poster's view of the damned sexy Jen Psaki. Not that it has anything to do with her competence at her job (at which she was outstanding - even taking into account the absolute dross she followed) but I find her very attractive - intelligent, witty, curvaceous red-head, damn what's not to like?
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2021, 05:37 AM   #1846
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

Here are some other Trump quotes that were later claimed to be "only joking":
Trump can't help it if his jokes are indistinguishable from stupidity.

Highlighting a poor choice of metaphor:
I have addressed the PHONE CALL FOUR TIMES in this thread alone. You either have a reading comprehension problem or are just ignoring it. Toss up.
When you toss a coin, you don't expect it to come up both heads and tails.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2021, 05:41 AM   #1847
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ethan Thane Athen View Post
On a separate topic - pretty stunned at one poster's view of the damned sexy Jen Psaki. Not that it has anything to do with her competence at her job (at which she was outstanding - even taking into account the absolute dross she followed) but I find her very attractive - intelligent, witty, curvaceous red-head, damn what's not to like?
I love the way she owns all the Faux News/OANN/Newsmax morons!

She is the Queen of smacking down stupidity
► Evolution is "survival of the fittest" - the fittest being those who are stronger, healthier and better adapted. Covid-19 has changed that. The fittest are now the well informed, logical, science believers who listen to the experts and get vaccinated.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2021, 05:41 AM   #1848
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by W.D.Clinger View Post
Trump can't help it if his jokes are indistinguishable from stupidity.

Highlighting a poor choice of metaphor:

When you toss a coin, you don't expect it to come up both heads and tails
Yes Bernard!
► Evolution is "survival of the fittest" - the fittest being those who are stronger, healthier and better adapted. Covid-19 has changed that. The fittest are now the well informed, logical, science believers who listen to the experts and get vaccinated.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!

Last edited by smartcooky; 17th September 2021 at 05:43 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2021, 05:55 AM   #1849
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Gosh, I wonder why they call it "satire"?
Satire still has a point, and that point can be asinine. It's not a "get out of bullcrap free" card.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2021, 06:00 AM   #1850
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, and speaking of Faux News morons, I find it hard to imagine a better timed chryon than this one!

Old 17th September 2021, 07:46 AM   #1851
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I have addressed the PHONE CALL FOUR TIMES in this thread alone. You either have a reading comprehension problem or are just ignoring it. Toss up.
I'm not sure he can vomit on command.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2021, 07:52 AM   #1852
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Oh, and speaking of Faux News morons, I find it hard to imagine a better timed chryon than this one!

That's not the first time this has happened. Last time it was something like "The Modern Face of White Supremacy".
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2021, 08:08 AM   #1853
Susheel
Master Poster

WRT Milley, he's not stupid. I sincerely doubt (especially with all those others present) that he said anything untoward. Even the supposed quote "If we’re going to attack, I’m going to call you ahead of time. It’s not going to be a surprise." does not necessarily mean what people are interpreting
I don't know how accurate the quote, I think somebody decided to get creative with an otherwise placatory, "Hey, buddy, it's me,..don't sweat it." These guys are career professionals who have to constantly toe a very thin line between diplomatic necessity, duties toward rivalry under what is more often than not, the brains of a middle school playground bully.

Quote:
Oh and Miller is a scumbag...
I guess this is a given...
Old 17th September 2021, 08:57 AM   #1854
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
That's the point. HE got paid. That's all that matters to the Mango Mussolini. Everyone else, the organisers, the fans, the PPV'ers, everyone else but him are suckers and losers. Because HE got paid. That's not a business model, that's theft.
Seriously, what are the odds that Trump shows up on Dancing with the Stars in the next 5 years?

Or, as I've already suggested, The Masked Singer?
Old 17th September 2021, 09:08 AM   #1855
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

My devotion to Mrs. Kcin prevents me from enthusiastically agreeing with you. Make of that what you will.
Old 17th September 2021, 10:38 AM   #1856
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
By the way, Trump's boxing event was a big loser:

BREAKING: Trump’s pay-per-view boxing match was a massive MONEY LOSER
Quote:
That's the point. HE got paid. That's all that matters to the Mango Mussolini.
Yeah but look at it this way...

The PPV organizers probably thought "Get trump in to increase the audience". The fact that even with the publicity that Stubby McBonespurs provided, it still did poorly. In the future, anyone else who wants to enter into any sort of business relationship with Trump will be more hesitant, because he's not popular enough to bring in new customers.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2021, 10:46 AM   #1857
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
The PPV organizers probably thought "Get trump in to increase the audience". The fact that even with the publicity that Stubby McBonespurs provided, it still did poorly. In the future, anyone else who wants to enter into any sort of business relationship with Trump will be more hesitant, because he's not popular enough to bring in new customers.
You know what I'm going to say right?

Bad business ventures and stiffing people for money are up there with the legal system, politics, and literally everything else Trump does that will cost him in the future that never seems to actually get here.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2021, 11:38 AM   #1858
Armitage72
Philosopher

It's probably just because of my media consumption, but this forum is literally the only place I saw any mention of the PPV and Trump's appearance.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2021, 11:46 AM   #1859
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Scheduling it for the 9/11 anniversary wasn't the brightest idea.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2021, 03:36 PM   #1860
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
You know what I'm going to say right?

Bad business ventures and stiffing people for money are up there with the legal system, politics, and literally everything else Trump does that will cost him in the future that never seems to actually get here.

He's the living embodiment of what Abigail Disney said in an interview a couple of years back: "But it’s the easiest thing in the world to make money if you start with money."

There's a certain wealth point where it actually becomes hard to lose enough money to stop being rich. Just passive income from investments alone is enough to shield you from even colossal failures like Trump's typical business ventures.
Old 17th September 2021, 04:34 PM   #1861
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
He's the living embodiment of what Abigail Disney said in an interview a couple of years back: "But it’s the easiest thing in the world to make money if you start with money."

There's a certain wealth point where it actually becomes hard to lose enough money to stop being rich. Just passive income from investments alone is enough to shield you from even colossal failures like Trump's typical business ventures.
I know, right? I'm having a hell of a time not getting richer, especially with all these darn tax cuts for us wealthy! It's a burden the little people just don't understand.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2021, 09:21 AM   #1862
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Donny's "statement":Spelled right, punctuation good. So Daiper Don had zero to do with this. Someone else wrote it and pushed it out in his name.
I can imagine that conversation was “we’re about to send out a 72-word tweet. Would you like to proof it?”
“72-words? I don’t have time to read 72-words. Send it.”
Old 18th September 2021, 09:28 AM   #1863
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Most will be hesitant, but there will still be some who think they can make money by paying Trump. His entire career was based on finding more and more ignorant rubes to give him money.
Old 18th September 2021, 10:21 AM   #1864
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Trump sent a letter on Sept 17th asking Georgia to de-certify the 2020 election.

How does he get away with this ******

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2021, 11:41 AM   #1865
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
"I was just joking" has been the go-to excuse for a lot of horrific things coming from the alt-right for years now.
Not to put too fine a point on it, but during the Trump Administration, it was changed to “he was only joking.” Trump seldom had the time or the temperament to say “I was only joking.”
Old 18th September 2021, 11:46 AM   #1866
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
From letter
Quote:
”I would respectfully request that your department check this and, if true, along with …..”
Trump has never done anything respectfully in his life.

It appears that no one can get him to understand that even if 300,000 votes were determined to be fraudulent, he would still not be installed as president.

Last edited by Ladewig; 18th September 2021 at 11:48 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2021, 11:48 AM   #1867
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Spicer's trying to get attention again.

Sean Spicer claims press treats Jen Psaki better: ‘I walked into the lion’s den’

To be fair, the press fairly certainly does treat Psaki better. On the other hand, this is Spicer, who started off his relationship with said press combatively with farcical lies that pretty well begged to be mocked and got no better from there.
Old 18th September 2021, 11:53 AM   #1868
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post

Sean Spicer claims press treats Jen Psaki better: ‘I walked into the lion’s den’

To be fair, the press fairly certainly does treat Psaki better. On the other hand, this is Spicer, who started off his relationship with said press combatively with farcical lies that pretty well begged to be mocked and got no better from there.
He asked to be a punching bag, and they obliged.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2021, 11:55 AM   #1869
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Not to put too fine a point on it, but during the Trump Administration, it was changed to “he was only joking.” Trump seldom had the time or the temperament to say “I was only joking.”
yeah, but it goes beyond that.

in recent years, a lot of neo-nazi "comedians" tried to make homophobia, misogyny and jew-hating socially acceptable by making jokes about it and pretending to be just "edgy" when confronted about their ****.

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 18th September 2021 at 11:56 AM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2021, 01:25 PM   #1870
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Is Spicer that oblivious to his comment about Dump's crowd numbers?

Originally Posted by Spicer
“This was the largest audience to ever witness an inauguration, period,” Spicer said.
CNN: The top 5 Sean Spicer quotes
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2021, 02:44 PM   #1871
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Is Spicer that oblivious to his comment about Dump's crowd numbers?
Spicer is a really shonky used-car salesman. Once a clanking lemon is off his lot, he doesn't give a crap about what happens to it next. Not his problem any more.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2021, 02:52 PM   #1872
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Psaki certainly handles the not-so-friendly reporters from FOX, OANN, Newsmax etc far better than Spicer handled the not- so-friendly reporters from CNN, ABC, and all the rest of the real news media.

As for Spicer, anyone want to chip in for a membership in the Whine and Cheese Club for him ?
Old 18th September 2021, 02:55 PM   #1873
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

In fairness, anyone can send a letter to any organization or person. It's up to the receiver to determine what to do with it. Georgia election officials probably had a good laugh before filing it in the circular bin.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2021, 03:15 PM   #1874
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

That letter belongs in the "Donald Trump 'has a serious mental illness'" thread.
Old 18th September 2021, 05:27 PM   #1875
mgidm86
Philosopher

Sorry, unrelated random quote from FOX News website.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/in-edgy-w...n-6-protesters

Quote:
The security might have been unnecessary in the end, but the volatility around the lie that the 2020 election was stolen and the presence of extremists and white nationalist groups on Jan. 6 have made it impossible to predict how such events will go.

First time I've visited that site in quite awhile. I can see glancing through the headlines that lying through omission is still a thing, but this article seems to be written honestly. They even call it an insurrection.

That's all. I was in this thread while I read it so I posted it here.
Old 18th September 2021, 05:28 PM   #1876
mgidm86
Philosopher

That letter belongs in the "Donald Trump 'has a serious mental illness'" thread.

Yes indeed. Every time I see solid proof that Trump is nuts I think about sending it to my Dad, quickly followed by "naaah, waste of time" He'll just say "but Biden...."
Old 18th September 2021, 05:31 PM   #1877
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Yes indeed. Every time I see solid proof that Trump is nuts I think about sending it to my Dad, quickly followed by "naaah, waste of time" He'll just say "but Biden...."
It's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned.
Old 18th September 2021, 05:33 PM   #1878
Warp12
Master Poster

He took the red pill. Probably never sympathized with Patty Hearst, either.
Old 18th September 2021, 06:03 PM   #1879
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Sorry, unrelated random quote from FOX News website.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/in-edgy-w...n-6-protesters

First time I've visited that site in quite awhile. I can see glancing through the headlines that lying through omission is still a thing, but this article seems to be written honestly. They even call it an insurrection.

That's all. I was in this thread while I read it so I posted it here.
Their actual "news" reporting tends to be reasonably based in fact and can be somewhat trustworthy if one guards against potential spin, but, as you say, there's a lot of lying through omission (among other indirect forms of deceit and manipulation). If it were just that, that would be one thing, but that's not all there is to Fox. Their "opinion" side is where it really gets evil.

Last edited by Aridas; 18th September 2021 at 06:04 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2021, 06:04 PM   #1880
Warp12
Master Poster

Their actual "news" reporting tends to be reasonably based in fact and can be somewhat trustworthy if one guards against potential spin, as you say, though, there's a lot of lying through omission (among other indirect forms of deceit and manipulation). If it were just that, that would be one thing, but that's not all there is to Fox. Their "opinion" side is where it really gets evil.
Heh.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics