IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th September 2021, 08:08 AM   #1
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

The "Best of Jen Psaki" Thread

Gotta love her.

Quote:
‘I don’t think the president is looking for the guidance of members of Congress who stood by while… the leader of their party fomented an insurrection’ — Jen Psaki on GOP criticism of Gen. Milley
https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/stat...92781692973059

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 08:22 AM   #2
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Fanboying over elected officials who wield tremendous power is weird behavior.
Old 16th September 2021, 08:29 AM   #3
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
zero. she wields zero power
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 08:44 AM   #4
Matthew Best
Philosopher

And she's not elected, is she?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 08:49 AM   #5
shemp

I'm sorry, are you referring to me or to Trump fanboys?

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 08:51 AM   #6
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
I'm sorry, are you referring to me or to Trump fanboys?
Either, both.

Psaki's job is to be a mouthpiece of the presidency, spinning stories and carefully managing public perception of the most powerful office in our government.

It's a role that merits a lot of vigilant skepticism, if not outright adversarial caution.
Old 16th September 2021, 08:56 AM   #7
Matthew Best
Philosopher

We must remain vigilant and ensure that she continues to wield no power and remains unelected. I promise to do my bit, however small.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 09:38 AM   #8
plague311
Great minds think...

LoL what an odd as hell response. Psaki has done a great job handling the misinformation and aggressive questions by Doocy, OAN, etc. She's been a welcome change from the previous Press Secretary and has returned normalcy to the daily briefings.

"Fanboying" her is no more weird than "fanboying" anything else (shoe brands, athletes, cars, clothes, etc.). It's part of making a choice and being proud of that choice.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 09:42 AM   #9
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
LoL what an odd as hell response. Psaki has done a great job handling the misinformation and aggressive questions by Doocy, OAN, etc. She's been a welcome change from the previous Press Secretary and has returned normalcy to the daily briefings.

"Fanboying" her is no more weird than "fanboying" anything else (shoe brands, athletes, cars, clothes, etc.). It's part of making a choice and being proud of that choice.
To be fair, I would say the same of pre-Trump press secretaries as well.

Don't mind me, I'm just grumpy and not a fan of "pep-rally" politics. Go team!
Old 16th September 2021, 10:01 AM   #10
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?

That's not pep-rally politics, it's just welcoming people who actually display some competence in what their appointed position.
Old 16th September 2021, 10:53 AM   #11
shemp

This is not a pep rally, she is doing a great job and she does it with style, grace and wit. Unlike her predecessor, the screeching harpy.

Old 16th September 2021, 12:58 PM   #12
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
That's not pep-rally politics, it's just welcoming people who actually display some competence in what their appointed position.
It's entirely possible to respect the intelligence and professionalism Psaki brings to her job without buying into every policy position. The Trumpers were stupid, belligerent liars, starting with Sean Spicer's transparent Inaugural Day lies about the size of Trump's crowd.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 01:15 PM   #13
plague311
Great minds think...

Has Psaki even had a Spicer moment? Has Biden trotted her out to tell a bald-faced lie with absolutely no remorse?

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 01:53 PM   #14
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
This is not a pep rally, she is doing a great job and she does it with style, grace and wit. Unlike her predecessor, the screeching harpy.
Agreed. Psaki is a professional, credible, well-spoken, intelligent, and competent WH Press Secretary. She holds regular press conferences, answers reporters' questions without repeatedly and blatantly lying. IOW, she's everything that Trump's menagerie of press secretaries were not.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 10:52 PM   #15
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Gee, Owen...maybe because Biden doesn't think HIS religion should determine what OTHER people do. Maybe you should ask Trump why he committed serial adultery on all three of his wives when he claims he's a Christian and holds up a Bible to prove it ...or to use as a prop.

Quote:
Owen Jensen, a reporter with EWTN, a Catholic news network, asked Psaki during her daily press briefing why the president supports abortion "when his own Catholic faith teaches abortion is morally wrong."

"He believes that it is a woman’s right, it’s a woman’s body and it’s her choice," Psaki answered.

Jensen pressed, "Who does he believe then should look out for the unborn child?"

Psaki reiterated that the president believes abortion is a woman’s right and then reminded Jensen of his biological makeup.

"He believes it is up to a woman to make those decisions and up to a woman to make those with her doctor," she said. "I know you’ve never faced those choices, nor you have never been pregnant, but for women out there who have faced those choices this is an incredibly difficult thing and the president believes their rights should be respected."

Jensen tried to ask another question but Psaki dismissed him, saying, "I think we have to move on. You’ve had plenty of time today."
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/psa...n-bidens-faith
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 11:09 PM   #16
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Fox's Peter Doocey got an earful from Psaki:

Quote:
Is the White House concerned that Major League baseball is moving their All-Star Game to Colorado, where voting regulations are very similar to Georgia?” Doocy asked Psaki.

“Well, let me just refute the first point you made,” Psaki responded. “First, let me say, on Colorado, Colorado allows you to register on Election Day. Colorado has voting by mail where they send, to 100 percent of people in the state who are eligible, applications to vote by mail."

“Ninety-four percent of people in Colorado voted by mail in the 2020 election, and they also allow for a range of materials to provide, even if they vote on Election Day, for the limited number of people who vote on Election Day,” she added.

Georgia does not allow voter registration on Election Day, nor does it regularly send applications for absentee ballots to all eligible residents.
She added:

Quote:
“I think it’s important to remember the context here,” Psaki added. “The Georgia legislation is built on a lie. There was no widespread fraud in the 2020 election; Georgia’s top Republican election officials have acknowledged that repeatedly in interviews. And ultimately, let me add one more thing: It’s up to Major League Baseball to determine where they’re holding their All-Star Game.”
Old 17th September 2021, 12:13 AM   #17
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Mod WarningShed load of off topic and personal bickering moved to AAH. I've allowed to remain a small bit of discussion of her performance, but the topic of this thread is quite clear from the thread title and the opening post, keep to it or don't post. As ever ignoring a mod box warning may result in further moderation which can include infractions, suspensions and even banning.
Responding to this mod box in thread will be off topic Posted By:Darat
Old 18th September 2021, 05:41 PM   #18
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post

Now THAT is what I call hot!
Old 18th September 2021, 06:03 PM   #19
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Now THAT is what I call hot!
How so? In what sense? You mean, politically so?

I don't find this commentary of hers to be compelling, tbh.

Last edited by Warp12; 18th September 2021 at 06:10 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2021, 06:29 PM   #20
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
How so? In what sense? You mean, politically so?

I don't find this commentary of hers to be compelling, tbh.
Not enough lies in it to be compelling, eh? Here...this should do it for ya:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 18th September 2021, 06:31 PM   #21
Warp12
Master Poster

Not enough lies in it to be compelling, eh? Here...this should do it for ya:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
What does this have to do with Psaki? Isn't that off-topic?
Old 18th September 2021, 06:36 PM   #22
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

What does this have to do with Psaki? Isn't that off-topic?
It shows just what a professional and competent press sec she is compared to KC. You know, one who doesn't have to rely on "alternative facts". LOL!!
Old 22nd September 2021, 08:40 AM   #23
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

In light of the ghoulish photos and videos of mounted border patrol agents whipping Haitian asylum seekers at the border:

Quote:
WH Press Secretary Jen Psaki on Haitian asylum seekers in Texas: "Our message continues to be…now is not the time to come"
https://twitter.com/aidachavez/statu...12603858866177

Yas queen! #GirlBoss
Old 22nd September 2021, 08:58 AM   #24
plague311
Great minds think...

In light of the ghoulish photos and videos of mounted border patrol agents whipping Haitian asylum seekers at the border:

https://twitter.com/aidachavez/statu...12603858866177

Yas queen! #GirlBoss
If anyone would like more information rather than a just random ass, out of context, incomplete quote from a journalist, here's another link. Sorry, I don't have a quip or hashtag to go with it, so I'll just quote some more context.

Quote:
White House press secretary Jen Psaki on Monday called images of a U.S. Border Patrol agent on horseback chasing Haitian migrants “horrific,”

"I have seen some of the footage. I don't have the full context. I can't imagine what context would make that appropriate, but I don't have additional details," she told reporters at the daily White House briefing. "I don't think anyone seeing that footage would think it's acceptable or appropriate."

She called footage of the incident "horrible to watch," but added "we just have to get more information on that" before she could comment further. Asked if the agent should be fired, she said, "Of course they should never be able to do it again."
She condemned it, but is definitely doing a bit of ass covering.

Any other dope quips or hashtags I missed, ST? Got any other out of context tweets to drop?

Old 22nd September 2021, 03:16 PM   #25
mgidm86
Philosopher

If anyone would like more information rather than a just random ass, out of context, incomplete quote from a journalist, here's another link. Sorry, I don't have a quip or hashtag to go with it, so I'll just quote some more context.

Any other dope quips or hashtags I missed, ST? Got any other out of context tweets to drop?

Maybe she's being careful not to over-commit without having enough knowledge about the subject.
Old 22nd September 2021, 04:00 PM   #26
Warp12
Master Poster

Maybe she's being careful not to over-commit without having enough knowledge about the subject.
Or maybe she is just another spin doctor and mouthpiece, like anyone in her position? This sort of behavior is to be expected.
Old 22nd September 2021, 04:36 PM   #27
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Or maybe she is just another spin doctor and mouthpiece, like anyone in her position? This sort of behavior is to be expected.
Or maybe she's being careful not to over-commit without having enough knowledge about the subject instead of just making crap up.
Old 23rd September 2021, 09:09 AM   #28
plague311
Great minds think...

Either way, ST's out of context nonsense painted Psaki as flippantly saying, "Well, we said not to come. This is what happens when you don't listen" as if she were condoning it. I just didn't want that to stand as she obviously condemned it, but did say they were gathering information.

Old 23rd September 2021, 12:08 PM   #29
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Either way, ST's out of context nonsense painted Psaki as flippantly saying, "Well, we said not to come. This is what happens when you don't listen" as if she were condoning it. I just didn't want that to stand as she obviously condemned it, but did say they were gathering information.
Clearly I was out of line. Psaki confirms that the administration has identified the problem at the border, which is horses.

Quote:
#BREAKING: Jen Psaki announces that horses will now be BANNED from being used in Del Rio by Border Patrol agents, citing the "horrible and horrific" use of them to prevent Haitian illegal immigrants from crossing into the U.S. https://t.co/hlyZeJVbU2
https://twitter.com/CurtisHouck/stat...436687872?s=19
Old 23rd September 2021, 12:15 PM   #30
plague311
Great minds think...

Clearly I was out of line. Psaki confirms that the administration has identified the problem at the border, which is horses.

Yeah, so I've already confirmed that the twitter sources you use have a tendency to be, what's the word I'm looking for, cherry picking ass hattery. Got anything else or are you ******* seriously getting your news from twitter now? I mean, seriously.

ETA:

Actually, upon reading an actual news source, it's not twitter but I'll post it here anyway, it looks like horses partly enabled the actual problem. It allowed the officers to chase the migrants down rather than confront them face-to-face on foot, and speak with them more plainly. It was also the lariats that they were using to hit the migrants. They're still investigating and speaking with the individual agents in the photos.

It appears they're trying to be proactive. GOD DAMN YOU PSAKI!!!!!!!!! #YAS #HASHTAG #TWITTERISMYNEWSSOURCE

Last edited by plague311; 23rd September 2021 at 12:20 PM.
Old 23rd September 2021, 12:34 PM   #31
Warp12
Master Poster

That's why I admire her so much. Her ability to tackle the tough issues, and bring a certain amount of zany irreverence to the mix.

But, on a serious note, I hate to see her invoke "equine shaming", as has been common, historically.
Old 23rd September 2021, 12:36 PM   #32
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

You are being dishonest there, ST. Psaki never said "the problem is horses".

Quote:
"The footage is extremely troubling and the facts learned from the full investigation, which will be conducted swiftly, will define the appropriate disciplinary actions to be taken," the spokesperson said.

"I have seen some of the footage. I don't have the full context. I can't imagine what context would make that appropriate, but I don't have additional details," she told reporters at the daily White House briefing. "I don't think anyone seeing that footage would think it's acceptable or appropriate."
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/bide...ry?id=80144223

Quote:
"I can't imagine what the scenario is where that would be appropriate, I'm certainly not suggesting that, but we've just seen the footage earlier this morning," she said. Asked if the agents seen in the footage should be fired for their actions in dealing with migrants, Psaki said: "Of course they should never be able to do it again."

"I don't know what the circumstances would be. It's obviously horrific, the footage. I don't have any more information on it, so let me venture to do that and we'll see if there's more to convey," she added.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/20/polit...deo/index.html

Those border agents involved have been put on desk duty.
Old 23rd September 2021, 12:39 PM   #33
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

That's why I admire her so much. Her ability to tackle the tough issues, and bring a certain amount of zany irreverence to the mix.

But, on a serious note, I hate to see her invoke "equine shaming", as has been common, historically.
Once again, you jump to an erroneous conclusion before bothering to investigate the accuracy of the post you're responding to. Suburban Turkey misrepresented what Psaki said but it fit your bias, so.......
Old 23rd September 2021, 04:22 PM   #34
mgidm86
Philosopher

No she didn't. What she confirmed is what the administration actually said and did. What does this have to do with her?
Old 23rd September 2021, 05:58 PM   #35
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

No she didn't. What she confirmed is what the administration actually said and did. What does this have to do with her?
It has to do with her in that her job is to spin bad press for the administration. That's kinda been my whole point, it's weird that a "skeptics forum" would fawn over someone who has a job to massage the facts.
Old 23rd September 2021, 06:05 PM   #36
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

It has to do with her in that her job is to spin bad press for the administration. That's kinda been my whole point, it's weird that a "skeptics forum" would fawn over someone who has a job to massage the facts.
Um, no. She reported what the admin did: it suspended the use of horses. That's not 'spinning'.
Old 23rd September 2021, 06:09 PM   #37
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Um, no. She reported what the admin did: it suspended the use of horses. That's not 'spinning'.
Horses were not the critical factor of the plain fact that border patrol agents were abusing human beings. Focusing on inconsequential factors is spin.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 23rd September 2021 at 06:13 PM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2021, 08:46 PM   #38
Senex
Philosopher

Jen Psaki is clearly a sincere and wonderful person at her job. Remember the last administration?
Senex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2021, 09:09 PM   #39
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
White House press secretary Jen Psaki on Monday called images of a U.S. Border Patrol agent on horseback chasing Haitian migrants “horrific,”

She called footage of the incident "horrible to watch," but added "we just have to get more information on that" before she could comment further. Asked if the agent should be fired, she said, "Of course they should never be able to do it again."

The worst aspect of this is, that if you wind back the clock a year or two to when the Trump immigration were tearing children away from their parents, and then locking them up in wire cages, the very same people like Peter Douchebag who are asking all the "tough" questions now, were utterly silent, and the networks they worked for had nothing but lame excuses for the Trump's reprehensible policies.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2021, 09:11 PM   #40
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Senex View Post
Jen Psaki is clearly a sincere and wonderful person at her job. Remember the last administration?

Sarah Huckery-Sanders, and Kayliar McNinny?
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics