IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , vaccination

View Poll Results: Have you been vaccinated?
Yes, I am fully vaccinated. 172 86.43%
I have received 1 vaccination shot 17 8.54%
No, I intend to but haven't got around to it. 3 1.51%
No, There are personal medical reasons that I should not receive the vaccine 1 0.50%
No, COVID is a hoax. The vaccine is part of some Communist plot. 4 2.01%
No, God will protect me. You cannot trust science. 2 1.01%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4th August 2021, 11:41 AM   #401
Leftus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Hey great news! We went back to wearing masks at work today! Why did I know this would happen?

A big **** you to all the unvaccinated jerkoffs here for being part of the problem.
How does my unvaccinated status impact you? I've not left my house in months, been in my office in about a year. Hell, nobody has whiffed so much as a fart from me since last spring. Yet you want to blame me for the policy at your office. Not sure how that works, but whatever.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 11:54 AM   #402
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
How does my unvaccinated status impact you? I've not left my house in months, been in my office in about a year. Hell, nobody has whiffed so much as a fart from me since last spring. Yet you want to blame me for the policy at your office. Not sure how that works, but whatever.
C'mon Left. You know if you're an unvaccinated idiot putting yourself and/or others at risk. If you're not , that post wasn't about you.

If you ever climb out of your anti-social hole, please make sure you get vaccinated.

Have a great day.
Old 4th August 2021, 01:46 PM   #403
Leftus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
C'mon Left. You know if you're an unvaccinated idiot putting yourself and/or others at risk. If you're not , that post wasn't about you.

If you ever climb out of your anti-social hole, please make sure you get vaccinated.

Have a great day.
That's the thing, I'm not putting myself or anyone else at risk, but I'm being grouped as if I am.

Currently, the talk is a 30 day notice before I have to return to my 2 day per pay period report to the office schedule. There is some talk that the OPM will permit us to keep our permanent telework schedule, but until the status quo changes, I'll continue with the status quo. The requirement that all Feds get vaccinated only applies if you are going into the office.

I was in this anti-social hole long before Corona was a virus.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 04:25 PM   #404
mgidm86
Philosopher

My 63 year old roommate says the same thing. "Oh I never leave!"

But ....he walks to the liquor store. His son comes over and visits. Who has he been around?

He receives Amazon packages. He puts envelopes in the mail. He receives mail.

How do you get food? Does someone bring it or deliver it to you? Then you can get it from that.

There are many ways you can get Covid.

I actually started this message saying that maybe you are the exception, but you probably aren't unless you live in a plastic bubble.
Old 4th August 2021, 04:30 PM   #405
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

That's the thing, I'm not putting myself or anyone else at risk, but I'm being grouped as if I am.

Currently, the talk is a 30 day notice before I have to return to my 2 day per pay period report to the office schedule. There is some talk that the OPM will permit us to keep our permanent telework schedule, but until the status quo changes, I'll continue with the status quo. The requirement that all Feds get vaccinated only applies if you are going into the office.

Then you're cool. I do believe you're better off getting the shots sooner than later because I think they are going to ask people to get a third shot.

Anyway, have a great day.
Old 8th August 2021, 04:39 PM   #406
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Since the 1920s?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2021, 10:41 AM   #407
Venom
Philosopher

I got my first dose of some vaccine a couple days ago. Upper arm was pretty damn sore not gonna lie. Second has been scheduled. I wish I had vaccinated earlier.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2021, 10:44 AM   #408
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I got my first dose of some vaccine a couple days ago. Upper arm was pretty damn sore not gonna lie. Second has been scheduled. I wish I had vaccinated earlier.
My arm was sore, too...but no worse than a tetanus shot makes it.
Better late than never!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2021, 11:02 AM   #409
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Good for you.

I barely felt a thing when I got the shot. If I touched the area of the shot it felt a tiny bit tender. Kind of like a bug bite. That lasted for a few days.

Anyway, thanks for getting the shot and doing your part.
Old 9th August 2021, 11:21 AM   #410
Venom
Philosopher

It's incredible how powerful political tribalism is. I've heard from paranoids that "people are saying..." that they distrust the vaccines. Is it really that difficult to compartmentalize? You can hate the libs for whatever reason you like, just stop being an idiot about what should be something pretty mundane.

Before fairly recently, especially in my Snopes days in the early 2000s (I used to binge read it when it was known as Urban Legends Ref Pages), I thought anti-vax was primarily a phenomenon of the left, shoulder to shoulder with 9/11 Truth and alt med stuff. But apparently it's exploded among political/social conservatives. Sometimes they're not explicitly anti-vax in the manner we are usually familiar with, but the message is dressed up as "I have an immune system, I'll be okay" "It's not good to live in fear" unmeaningful truisms, but the stupidest reach by far "Freedom over health!"
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 12:35 PM   #411
kevbo
Critical Thinker

Good for you.

I barely felt a thing when I got the shot. If I touched the area of the shot it felt a tiny bit tender. Kind of like a bug bite. That lasted for a few days.

Agreed. Thanks for getting the jab. I didn't even notice when the doctor injected me, and I was only tender if I touched the location for a day. A bee sting is worse. I got the Pfizer shot, and I wish the idiots in my county would wake up to reality. This last week saw the greatest surge in Oregon in my county. The governor has called for mask mandates, again. I agree with her.
kevbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 01:10 PM   #412
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

It's incredible how powerful political tribalism is. I've heard from paranoids that "people are saying..." that they distrust the vaccines. Is it really that difficult to compartmentalize? You can hate the libs for whatever reason you like, just stop being an idiot about what should be something pretty mundane.

Before fairly recently, especially in my Snopes days in the early 2000s (I used to binge read it when it was known as Urban Legends Ref Pages), I thought anti-vax was primarily a phenomenon of the left, shoulder to shoulder with 9/11 Truth and alt med stuff. But apparently it's exploded among political/social conservatives. Sometimes they're not explicitly anti-vax in the manner we are usually familiar with, but the message is dressed up as "I have an immune system, I'll be okay" "It's not good to live in fear" unmeaningful truisms, but the stupidest reach by far "Freedom over health!"
Trumpers don't care how many people die just so long as they can "Own the Libs".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 01:40 PM   #413
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Trumpers don't care how many people die just so long as they can "Own the Libs".
As of 8/2, only 49% of the country was fully vaccinated.

In early July, counties who voted blue reported 46.7% vaccination rates, while red counties were at 35%. So, while blue counties are leading the charge, I think that the lack of vaccinations is clearly an issue, overall...not just with conservatives.

https://www.kff.org/policy-watch/the...es-is-growing/

My message to everyone is to get vaccinated now, regardless. If you can't convince a conservative, find a liberal, or anyone, to convince.

Last edited by Warp12; 11th August 2021 at 01:43 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 03:07 PM   #414
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Better late than never!
Covid vaccine was no where near as bad as Shingrix. Those shots felt like I had been slugged with a sledgehammer in the arm.

First covid: flu-vaccine like pain at the injection site
Second covid: woke up the next day a little punky, went back to sleep for 2 hours and was normal after that.
Old 11th August 2021, 03:23 PM   #415
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
As of 8/2, only 49% of the country was fully vaccinated.

In early July, counties who voted blue reported 46.7% vaccination rates, while red counties were at 35%. So, while blue counties are leading the charge, I think that the lack of vaccinations is clearly an issue, overall...not just with conservatives.

https://www.kff.org/policy-watch/the...es-is-growing/

My message to everyone is to get vaccinated now, regardless. If you can't convince a conservative, find a liberal, or anyone, to convince.
There are nearly twice as many new Covid cases in counties that voted for Trump than in counties that voted for Biden. The higher the margin for Trump was, the lower the level of vaccination.

Quote:
In the past two weeks, there have been about 237,000 new coronavirus cases recorded in counties that voted for President Biden last year — and 388,000 in counties that voted for Donald Trump. Adjusted for population, there have been about 126 new cases per 100,000 residents of blue counties and 278 new cases per 100,000 residents of red ones. On average, blue counties are seeing 10.2 new cases for every 100,000 residents, while red counties are seeing 19.5 new cases per 100,000 residents.

If we break every county in deciles of 2020 vote and rates of completed vaccinations — that is, 10 groups of about 300 counties apiece, ranked by vote or vaccination levels — we can see how partisanship and vaccination levels overlap.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...blue-counties/
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 03:43 PM   #416
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Good for you.

Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
Agreed. Thanks for getting the jab. I didn't even notice when the doctor injected me, and I was only tender if I touched the location for a day. A bee sting is worse. I got the Pfizer shot, and I wish the idiots in my county would wake up to reality. This last week saw the greatest surge in Oregon in my county. The governor has called for mask mandates, again. I agree with her.
I want things to be normal again. Where we can have a barbecue or I can pick up some milf without worrying about being hospitalized.

This vaccination hesitancy is beyond moronic. Every day we trust that the food I eat and the water we drink is ok. Do we really know all that much about anything we consume? Nope. Two and a half billion people have received the vaccination shots with almost no side effects.

Get the damn shots people. Let's put this in the rear view mirror.
Old 11th August 2021, 03:55 PM   #417
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I want things to be normal again. Where we can have a barbecue or I can pick up some milf without worrying about being hospitalized.

This vaccination hesitancy is beyond moronic. Every day we trust that the food I eat and the water we drink is ok. Do we really know all that much about anything we consume? Nope. Two and a half billion people have received the vaccination shots with almost no side effects.

Get the damn shots people. Let's put this in the rear view mirror.
If you don't want to be hospitalized, I suggest you pick up a better class of milf! Or use a condom.

That's one of the funniest typos I've ever seen.

But I agree with the rest of your post.
Old 11th August 2021, 04:21 PM   #418
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Better late than never!
You don';t know what sore from vacinne shots are until you get six shots in about three minutes in US Army basic training (and I suspect the other services are pretty much the same). Two in one arm, two in another, the final two in your butt.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 04:50 PM   #419
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

If you don't want to be hospitalized, I suggest you pick up a better class of milf! Or use a condom.

That's one of the funniest typos I've ever seen.

But I agree with the rest of your post.
I just don't want to wear a condom over my head. It's hard to communicate when you have a bag over your head.
Old 12th August 2021, 10:55 AM   #420
michael44
Critical Thinker

I finally received a vaccine June 1. Finally I say, because despite anticipating being vaccinated at a much sooner date, due to injuries I received at the end of October 2020, most my time was either spent hospitalized, or in a subsequent rehab center until Jan 15/21. During my stay in rehab, I ended up testing positive for Covid19, whereas immediately afterwards I spent my last two and a half weeks in a 'covid ward'. Fortunately, my only symptoms were a three day fever of 101, along with one evening without taste or smell. However, four others who were also in the covid ward, never made it out alive. To say I wasn't scared, especially being immunocompromised with type 1 diabetes for 45 years, is an understatement. As for the reasons why I was unable to get vaccinated sooner, much of this fell upon availability coupled with having since been confined to a wheelchair. I also live alone. Fast forward, a friend who works at Walmart brought an electric cart to my car enabling me to go in, shop around, and thus get the one time J&J vaccine along with the documentation card. - Should there be need for a booster anytime in the future, I'll be setting my sights on that as well. I've lost too many friends over this disease, not to mention most had met their demise face down and in great suffering.
michael44 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 11:20 AM   #421
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Michael44, I hope you continue to recover. It sounds like you've been through hell.
Old 12th August 2021, 03:03 PM   #422
michael44
Critical Thinker

Michael44, I hope you continue to recover. It sounds like you've been through hell.
Thank you. And to be honest, I'm actually quite surprised I handled it as well as I did. From upon returning home sporting a wound vac along with daily rounds of self administered ertapenem via IV and a 'pic line', to today being almost totally healed up, I consider myself pretty darned lucky. Even with the covid ordeal. - Funny part, is every time doctors took pictures during the healing process, I was too much a chicken to ever view them up until today. As for the source of the wound, it was all because an old bitty with no insurance backed over my foot crushing it, which nearly eliminated a third of its flesh down to the heel bone. - But yeah, I'm good. May need a walker for the rest of my life, but at least I kept my foot and didn't die of covid for lack of being vaccinated (at the time). :~)
michael44 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 03:08 PM   #423
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by michael44 View Post
Thank you. And to be honest, I'm actually quite surprised I handled it as well as I did. From upon returning home sporting a wound vac along with daily rounds of self administered ertapenem via IV and a 'pic line', to today being almost totally healed up, I consider myself pretty darned lucky. Even with the covid ordeal. - Funny part, is every time doctors took pictures during the healing process, I was too much a chicken to ever view them up until today. As for the source of the wound, it was all because an old bitty with no insurance backed over my foot crushing it, which nearly eliminated a third of its flesh down to the heel bone. - But yeah, I'm good. May need a walker for the rest of my life, but at least I kept my foot and didn't die of covid for lack of being vaccinated (at the time). :~)
Oh, my! I hope the old bitty with no insurance at least had something you could sue her for.
Old 12th August 2021, 04:23 PM   #424
michael44
Critical Thinker

Oh, my! I hope the old bitty with no insurance at least had something you could sue her for.
She had little to no assets, so I chose not to sue her. and not that suing her would have done either of us any good. This was truly one of those 'sh*t happens' sort of moments.
Old 12th August 2021, 07:28 PM   #425
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

She had little to no assets, so I chose not to sue her. and not that suing her would have done either of us any good. This was truly one of those 'sh*t happens' sort of moments.
Nice of you. But no insurance: she shouldn't have been driving. That's that 'personal responsibility" Gov. Abbott thinks people have.
Old 13th August 2021, 04:25 AM   #426
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
My mobster name as of Wednesday last week is Timmy Two-Shots. I'm probably very soon as well protected against COVID I'm ever going to be.
Old 13th August 2021, 10:07 AM   #427
michael44
Critical Thinker

Nice of you. But no insurance: she shouldn't have been driving. That's that 'personal responsibility" Gov. Abbott thinks people have.
Fortunately, we addressed that as per a police report along with her daughters ambitious agreement to remove her mothers driving privileges. Yeah, I felt bad in how I might feel having my own removed, but then given the circumstances. Also, she was quite short, as in barely able to see over the steering wheel, much less reach the brake and gas pedal.

Gov Abbott? if there was ever a reason to wish the world was flat, it would be for having the ability to push him over the edge. Same goes for DeSantis, etc.
Old 13th August 2021, 06:53 PM   #428
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Fortunately, we addressed that as per a police report along with her daughters ambitious agreement to remove her mothers driving privileges. Yeah, I felt bad in how I might feel having my own removed, but then given the circumstances. Also, she was quite short, as in barely able to see over the steering wheel, much less reach the brake and gas pedal.

Gov Abbott? if there was ever a reason to wish the world was flat, it would be for having the ability to push him over the edge. Same goes for DeSantis, etc.
Old 16th August 2021, 02:04 PM   #429
Twilek
Thinker

I am absolutely fully vaxxed as of early July.

And kinda like I was absolutely thrilled when Biden was elected, I am now staring at my computer screen with that "Offred isn't sure whether to s*** or go blind" expression.
Old 16th August 2021, 02:49 PM   #430
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Twilek View Post
I am absolutely fully vaxxed as of early July.

And kinda like I was absolutely thrilled when Biden was elected, I am now staring at my computer screen with that "Offred isn't sure whether to s*** or go blind" expression.
Old 16th August 2021, 05:28 PM   #431
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Cardinal Raymond Leo Burke is now on a ventilator after being diagnosed with Covid. He is a vaccine skeptic and has spread misinformation.

Quote:
Burke, 73, served as Archbishop of St. Louis from 2003 to 2008, according to the St. Louis Post Dispatch. His current role is Cardinal Priest of Sant’Agata de’ Goti in Rome, but the Post-Dispatch reported he caught the virus in Wisconsin, where he founded the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe in the city of La Crosse.

It’s unclear if Burke has been vaccinated, but last year he falsely suggested the COVID-19 vaccines inject a microchip that would allow citizens to “to “be controlled by the state regarding health and about other matters which we can only imagine,” Religion News reported.

The idea the vaccines contain microchips has been disproven by multiple fact-checking websites, including PolitiFact.

Referring to COVID-19 as the Wuhan virus — a term often used by former President Donald Trump — Burke said in December the virus was being used “by certain forces... to advance their evil agenda,” according to Irish Central.

At the onset of the pandemic last year, Burke said the most effective way to combat the coronavirus is “our relationship with Christ through prayer and penance.”
So I guess that's one vote from the Cardinal for "No, God will protect me. You can't trust science".
Old 16th August 2021, 05:45 PM   #432
Steve
Philosopher

Cardinal Raymond Leo Burke is now on a ventilator after being diagnosed with Covid. He is a vaccine skeptic and has spread misinformation.

So I guess that's one vote from the Cardinal for "No, God will protect me. You can't trust science".
Old 23rd August 2021, 08:37 AM   #433
Matthew Best
Philosopher

No god will protect me.

You can't.

Trust science!
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2021, 11:59 AM   #434
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
No god will protect me.

You can't.

Trust science!
Clever.
Old 25th August 2021, 12:17 AM   #435
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Recieved my second Moderna shot yesterday. My local vaccination center has moved to a drop-in model, in a bid to encourage more young people to get vaccinated, and since I was in the area anyway, I decided to get the second show then instead of waiting until my booked appointment on thursday.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2021, 12:41 AM   #436
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Well, I guess you know that the strongest evidence the earth is not flat is that, if it was, then by now, cats would have already pushed everything of the edge.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2021, 06:48 PM   #437
pzkpfw
Student

First jab today; six weeks wait for second.

Easy, calm, and no alt-reality types anywhere to be seen.

Civilisation.
pzkpfw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2021, 11:04 PM   #438
Venom
Philosopher

Second shot (Pfizer-BioNTech) about 12 hours ago.

Feelings a bit of a fever and chills I don't remember this feeling after the first.
Old 27th August 2021, 02:35 AM   #439
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Second shot (Pfizer-BioNTech) about 12 hours ago.

Feelings a bit of a fever and chills I don't remember this feeling after the first.
Same as I experienced and many others I know. Don't be surprised if it wipes the floor with you for a few days.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2021, 03:10 AM   #440
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Same as I experienced and many others I know. Don't be surprised if it wipes the floor with you for a few days.
Wonder why it affects people so differently. My Pfizer first shot - mildly sore arm, second shot - nothing. (Maybe I got one of those nurses who was substituting saline )

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics