IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , vaccination

View Poll Results: Have you been vaccinated?
Yes, I am fully vaccinated. 172 86.43%
I have received 1 vaccination shot 17 8.54%
No, I intend to but haven't got around to it. 3 1.51%
No, There are personal medical reasons that I should not receive the vaccine 1 0.50%
No, COVID is a hoax. The vaccine is part of some Communist plot. 4 2.01%
No, God will protect me. You cannot trust science. 2 1.01%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28th August 2021, 07:34 PM   #481
dirtywick
Illuminator

Walgreens and CVS in my city both take walk ins
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2021, 07:38 PM   #482
dirtywick
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Moderna knocked me for a loop. I got the shot in the morning and felt fine until about five in the afternoon. Then, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I was miserable for about 36 hours.
Anecdotally just from people I know personally, the Moderna shot seems to have worse reactions than the Pfizer.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2021, 07:50 PM   #483
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
Anecdotally just from people I know personally, the Moderna shot seems to have worse reactions than the Pfizer.
That's what I gather from my nonscientific study of friends and coworkers too. People who got pfizer were down for a day, those who got Moderna were down for two. I only know two people who got the J and J so not enough data to tell.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2021, 07:59 PM   #484
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
That's what I gather from my nonscientific study of friends and coworkers too. People who got pfizer were down for a day, those who got Moderna were down for two. I only know two people who got the J and J so not enough data to tell.
My husband and I both got Moderna. Other than a sore arm for a day or two, nothing of note. Same for our daughter who got Pfizer.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2021, 08:00 PM   #485
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Not surprising given the Moderna dose is about 3 times more than the Pfizer vaccine dose.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2021, 08:05 PM   #486
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Not surprising given the Moderna dose is about 3 times more than the Pfizer vaccine dose.
I had no idea.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 07:20 AM   #487
Cainkane1
Philosopher

I’m fully vaccinated. Pfizer. I intend to get the booster in Six months.
Old 29th August 2021, 07:21 AM   #488
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Aside from a sore arm for two or three days I had no negative effects.
Old 29th August 2021, 07:26 AM   #489
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
Aside from a sore arm for two or three days I had no negative effects.
Same here, for Pfizer doses 1, 2 and 3.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 12:59 PM   #490
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
You know, now it all makes sense. I was upset with CVS corporation for this new policy, but now I realize that one of these stupid split-tails probably misread the memo.
Good marketing opportunity there, Warp! I'm sure it would be a big hit among the self-professed 'family values' group.

“It’s an American ideal that we treat women with respect,” one man insisted. He was wearing a shirt that featured Hillary Clinton and Monica Lewinsky’s faces and said, “Hillary sucks… but not like Monica.” The back read, “Trump that bitch.”
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 01:34 PM   #491
dirtywick
Illuminator

Can you explain that more? I don't understand what 3 times more means.
Old 29th August 2021, 01:59 PM   #492
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

I expect it is as measured by volume or mass.

Comparing the Covid-19 vaccines developed by Pfizer, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson

Quote:
Each dose of Pfizer’s contains 30 micrograms of vaccine. Moderna went with a much larger dose of vaccine, 100 micrograms. It means the company is using a little more than three times as much vaccine per person as Pfizer is. And yet, they aren’t getting better results. The government’s vaccine development program, formerly called Operation Warp Speed, has asked Moderna to test if it could lower the dosage of its vaccine without eroding the vaccine’s protection.
So just over three times more actual vaccine by mass.
Old 29th August 2021, 02:16 PM   #493
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Man View Post

Comparing the Covid-19 vaccines developed by Pfizer, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson

They're not the same vaccine though. They're both based on the same principle though. So isn't it a bit like comparing apples and oranges? Or maybe different varieties of apples.

Last edited by acbytesla; 29th August 2021 at 02:17 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 02:52 PM   #494
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
They're not the same vaccine though. They're both based on the same principle though. So isn't it a bit like comparing apples and oranges? Or maybe different varieties of apples.
Sure, but getting pelted with 3 times as many granny smith apples (by mass) is probably going to have a greater potential for adverse effects than a lesser amount of red delicious or even nectarines. Moderna and Pfizer are the apples in this case and J&J the nectarines using a different method to get cells to produce the protein 'spikes' that emulate the virus for the immune reaction

Though, produce humor aside, both Moderna and Pfizer use the same mRNA approach to produce the proteins, that J&J doesn't use, while all three do get cells in the body to produce an emulating (of the virus) surface proteins. Certainly those methods and the variation can be factors, not to mention the proteins each produce to emulate the virous. Still over three times has much has to have some impact unless the response (for Moderna) is just generally so weak that such amount is needed to get consistent results. Which of course would mean that for people where the Moderna response is good, they can potentially get wacked 3 times as hard with the initial immune response.

We've all had Moderna here and didn't notice anything other than basically just having stuff injected into our arms. Though two of us are on immunosuppressants, so our immune responses are deliberately suppressed.

Last edited by The Man; 29th August 2021 at 02:56 PM. Reason: typo
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 03:05 PM   #495
AgeGap
Master Poster

Doubly vaccinated but caught Covid. Mild symptoms that felt like a head cold. Three days without a sense of smell. Does the "three times more" refer to cost?
AgeGap is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 03:08 PM   #496
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Sure, but getting pelted with 3 times as many granny smith apples (by mass) is probably going to have a greater potential for adverse effects than a lesser amount of red delicious or even nectarines. Moderna and Pfizer are the apples in this case and J&J the nectarines using a different method to get cells to produce the protein 'spikes' that emulate the virus for the immune reaction
Is this a good analogy though? Both doses are really not that large.

Though, produce humor aside, both Moderna and Pfizer use the same mRNA approach to produce the proteins, that J&J doesn't use, while all three do get cells in the body to produce an emulating (of the virus) surface proteins. Certainly those methods and the variation can be factors, not to mention the proteins each produce to emulate the virous. Still over three times has much has to have some impact unless the response (for Moderna) is just generally so weak that such amount is needed to get consistent results. Which of course would mean that for people where the Moderna response is good, they can potentially get wacked 3 times as hard with the initial immune response.

We've all had Moderna here and didn't notice anything other than basically just having stuff injected into our arms. Though two of us are on immunosuppressants, so our immune responses are deliberately suppressed.
I had the Pfizer and felt no ill effects after the first or second shot outside of a little tenderness where I received the injections. That lasted for a few days.
Old 29th August 2021, 05:03 PM   #497
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Is this a good analogy though? Both doses are really not that large.
Try to think of it in terms of if the throwers of the apples have good aim or not. If the mRNA is doing a good job, its like the throwers have better aim and a greater potential for a big immune response and general temporary nastiness. If the mRNA for, whatever reason, ain't quite hitting all the marks it could, then bad aim apple throwers and less potential for an apple sauce pelting. The amounts are different so how it balances out or doesn't, comes down to how effective the throwers are.

Just volume wise with a typical 1 ml syringe the Moderna dose would be about 1/10 the syringe and the Pfizer one third of that
Old 29th August 2021, 05:28 PM   #498
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I thought it was more than this so I'll keep looking:

PubMed
Quote:
Pfizer/BioNTech Vaccine has been recommended to people 16 years of age and older, with a dose of 30 μg (0.3 m)...

Moderna Vaccine has been recommended to people 18 years of age and older, with a dose of 50 μg
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 05:35 PM   #499
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Medscape: COVID-19 vaccine, mRNA-Pfizer (Rx)
Quote:
Dosage Forms & Strengths
injection, frozen suspension concentrate
30 mcg/0.3mL (multiple-dose vial)
Medscape, Moderna
Quote:
Dosage Forms & Strengths
injection, suspension
100mcg/0.5mL per dose
2 multiple dose vial sizes: Maximum of 11 doses (range 10-11 doses) or maximum of 15 doses (range 13-15 doses)
I'm not sure of why there is a discrepancy in the two citations.
Old 29th August 2021, 05:38 PM   #500
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

This ^. So that's two citations with the 100mcg dose, not 50.
Old 29th August 2021, 05:41 PM   #501
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Technically, there are no substitutes in biologics which these are. What that means is you do indeed have 2 different products.

OTOH, these are simply the (somewhat) arbitrary doses the companies chose to use. They are similar enough one can say there is more mRNA in the Moderna product.
Old 29th August 2021, 05:45 PM   #502
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

As I got the Moderna vaccine, does this mean that I have 3X the number of tracking chips in me and I'm 3X more magnetic? I need to know as I'm planning on going to Kitchen Kaboodle tomorrow and don't want to have metal knives flying across and stabbing me.
Old 29th August 2021, 05:49 PM   #503
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
As I got the Moderna vaccine, does this mean that I have 3X the number of tracking chips in me and I'm 3X more magnetic? I need to know as I'm planning on going to Kitchen Kaboodle tomorrow and don't want to have metal knives flying across and stabbing me.
The magnetic properties are inversely proportional (see: homeopathic) to the vaccine volume. You should be fine!

But if I'm wrong I call dibs on your stuff.
Old 29th August 2021, 05:54 PM   #504
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
The magnetic properties are inversely proportional (see: homeopathic) to the vaccine volume. You should be fine!

But if I'm wrong I call dibs on your stuff.
What size dress do you wear?
Old 29th August 2021, 05:56 PM   #505
Steve
Philosopher

What size dress do you wear?
I prefer my dresses to be free of knife holes and blood.
Old 29th August 2021, 06:04 PM   #506
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I prefer my dresses to be free of knife holes and blood.
Picky, picky, picky.....
Old 29th August 2021, 08:17 PM   #507
Fidelio
Muse

Both, six months ago and despite dedicated research I just cannot get that gdam compass needle to do what's it supposed to do. Point to Hillary.
.. The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light ... The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. It was a kind of religious experience. There was a magnificence to it, a grandeur, a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.
Carl Sagan
Fidelio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2021, 02:55 PM   #508
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Medscape: COVID-19 vaccine, mRNA-Pfizer (Rx)
Quote:
Dosage Forms & Strengths
injection, frozen suspension concentrate
30 mcg/0.3mL (multiple-dose vial)
Medscape, Moderna
Quote:
Dosage Forms & Strengths
injection, suspension
100mcg/0.5mL per dose
2 multiple dose vial sizes: Maximum of 11 doses (range 10-11 doses) or maximum of 15 doses (range 13-15 doses)
I'm not sure of why there is a discrepancy in the two citations.
The quoted reference above also gives the injection syringe loading volume (vaccine plus saline and ect.) that I found in the loading and administering instructions for both. .5mL full load (vaccine and ect) for Moderna and .3 mL full load for Pfizer. So while the Moderna dosing syringe is almost twice as loaded by volume, the Pfizer dosing syringe is twice as diluted by volume. For Moderna the full load volume is five times the vaccine volume while for Pfizer its full load volume is ten times its vaccine volume.

Last edited by The Man; 30th August 2021 at 02:56 PM. Reason: typo
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2021, 07:45 PM   #509
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

The quoted reference above also gives the injection syringe loading volume (vaccine plus saline and ect.) that I found in the loading and administering instructions for both. .5mL full load (vaccine and ect) for Moderna and .3 mL full load for Pfizer. So while the Moderna dosing syringe is almost twice as loaded by volume, the Pfizer dosing syringe is twice as diluted by volume. For Moderna the full load volume is five times the vaccine volume while for Pfizer its full load volume is ten times its vaccine volume.
The volume is not all that relevant. It's the total mcg per dose that is.
Old 30th August 2021, 08:36 PM   #510
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Fidelio View Post
Both, six months ago and despite dedicated research I just cannot get that gdam compass needle to do what's it supposed to do. Point to Hillary.
Wait, you mean you blame Hillary...or are you saying the compass needle is supposed to point to Hillary? The latter could indicate she's going way overboard on iron supplements.
Old 30th August 2021, 11:53 PM   #511
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Wait, you mean you blame Hillary...or are you saying the compass needle is supposed to point to Hillary? The latter could indicate she's going way overboard on iron supplements.
No, it would indicate she's become magnetized from getting a Covid vaccine.
Old 31st August 2021, 05:46 AM   #512
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
No, it would indicate she's become magnetized from getting a Covid vaccine.

Wait a second…the Earth has a magnetic field!

They vaccinated the planet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 31st August 2021, 02:42 PM   #513
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

The volume is not all that relevant. It's the total mcg per dose that is.

Certainly, not all that relevant to the efficacy of the vaccine or the level of immune response potential from each. Just noting those additional differences for the actual volume one might see in the syringe when injected. As well as that for the effects we felt, the amount of stuff shoved into our arms was about the extent of it.
Old 31st August 2021, 02:56 PM   #514
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Wait a second…the Earth has a magnetic field!

They vaccinated the planet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dang straight, just look what happened to Mars!!!

NASA’s MAVEN spacecraft revealed how Mars lost its atmosphere and water

Quote:
Earth’s magnetic field protects us from high-energy particles coming from the Sun by deflecting them away from the planet, avoiding our atmosphere from being stripped away. Mars doesn’t have a magnetic field of its own, so solar radiation strikes its atmosphere directly, knocking atoms off into space. Scientists think this is how Mars lost most of its once dense atmosphere 3 billion years ago, turning a warm, watery planet into a chilly, dry desert world.
It's been trying to catch its breath since its last vaccine wore off.

Last edited by The Man; 31st August 2021 at 03:00 PM. Reason: typo
Old 31st August 2021, 05:01 PM   #515
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Certainly, not all that relevant to the efficacy of the vaccine or the level of immune response potential from each. Just noting those additional differences for the actual volume one might see in the syringe when injected. As well as that for the effects we felt, the amount of stuff shoved into our arms was about the extent of it.
The difference between the volumes wasn't enough to matter as far as one's injection site pain.

One might have more local pain at the site with the more concentrated version.

I'm not sure there is data comparing the initial side effects between the different formulations. But I would bet the Moderna vaccine had more with the higher dose.
Old 1st September 2021, 04:20 PM   #516
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

They won't vaccinate him when he's dead, either.

Anyone wanna bet that if it came down to be vaccinated or being executed, he'd choose vaccination?
Old 1st September 2021, 05:23 PM   #517
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...00a36dfebe.jpg

They won't vaccinate him when he's dead, either.

Anyone wanna bet that if it came down to be vaccinated or being executed, he'd choose vaccination?
Weirdly people have said those things before and were physically forced to be vaccinated.
Old 1st September 2021, 06:39 PM   #518
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Weirdly people have said those things before and were physically forced to be vaccinated.
Citation? Mandated vaccination in not the same thing as forced vaccination. I don't now of any American adult who has been held down physically and vaccinated against they're will.
Old 1st September 2021, 06:48 PM   #519
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Citation? Mandated vaccination in not the same thing as forced vaccination. I don't now of any American adult who has been held down physically and vaccinated against they're will.
Ahem... I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm.
Old 1st September 2021, 06:54 PM   #520
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Ahem... I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm.
I don't see it. The word 'Weirdly' leads me to think it was not. But AC can clarify.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics