IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , vaccination

View Poll Results: Have you been vaccinated?
Yes, I am fully vaccinated. 172 86.43%
I have received 1 vaccination shot 17 8.54%
No, I intend to but haven't got around to it. 3 1.51%
No, There are personal medical reasons that I should not receive the vaccine 1 0.50%
No, COVID is a hoax. The vaccine is part of some Communist plot. 4 2.01%
No, God will protect me. You cannot trust science. 2 1.01%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11th July 2021, 03:58 PM   #81
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Originally Posted by Caroline13 View Post
You believe in what you believe, and so do I, MARK
I believe in reality and objective evidence. You believe any old nonsense put out by frauds.

How old are you again?

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2021, 03:59 PM   #82
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

You believe in what you believe, and so do I, MARK
But yours isn't based on reality. There's a name for that.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2021, 04:11 PM   #83
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I see we've now got two votes for "No, God will protect me. You cannot trust science."

I bet I know who one of them is.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2021, 04:30 PM   #84
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Door to Door Gestapo Is Coming..... Not to MY DOOR.

We might as well be in China and/or North Korea

https://www.naturalnews.com/2021-07-...rantines.html#

Vit C, Vit D, Zinc, Quercetin, Grape Seed Extract does the job.

Not the poison MRNA bullroar. More and more deaths reported and injuries in each VAERS report every week.

I hope you will report your injuries to VAERS when the time arrives.
This argument is dangerous and stupid. The ignorance of this post astounds me. The reference is a total lie. Who are you going to believe? The CDC, the WHO and doctors across the country or Natural News magazine?

The so called "task force" is volunteers going door to door helping people understand the facts about the virus and the vaccine. No one is forcing people to get the vaccine. So you can hardly compare this to China or North Korea.

But I have no problem if they did. This is an infectious disease. Some people's total stupidity is going to result in others dying. And to those spreading disinformation on this topic, I have only one thing to say.

GO TO HELL!

Last edited by acbytesla; 11th July 2021 at 04:42 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2021, 04:39 PM   #85
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Door to Door Gestapo Is Coming..... Not to MY DOOR.

We might as well be in China and/or North Korea

https://www.naturalnews.com/2021-07-...rantines.html#

Vit C, Vit D, Zinc, Quercetin, Grape Seed Extract does the job.

Not the poison MRNA bullroar. More and more deaths reported and injuries in each VAERS report every week.

I hope you will report your injuries to VAERS when the time arrives.
The Humor thread is in the Members Only section. I think you posted this here by mistake.
Old 11th July 2021, 05:14 PM   #86
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
They are going to seize your bibles!

The horror!
Beat me to it.

I was going to say that it reminded me of the paranoid evangelical hysterics about how the atheistic, Satanic, Commie Nazis were soon to round up all the Christians and send them to concentration camps. That was around forty years ago.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2021, 05:28 PM   #87
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I've seen this before:
Quote:
So I went to the VAERS site and looked at the "deaths reported". Not ONE of them, according to the death certificates, was due to getting a vaccine; they all died from other causes but just happened to have had a vaccine recently. They were totally unrelated.

Man with end stage terminal cancer, age 98, dies 2 weeks after getting a tetanus shot after impaling his hand on a rusty nail. Cause of death: old age and lung cancer.

Anti-vaxxers: Man dies after getting vaccine!
Old 11th July 2021, 05:34 PM   #88
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
Beat me to it.

I was going to say that it reminded me of the paranoid evangelical hysterics about how the atheistic, Satanic, Commie Nazis were soon to round up all the Christians and send them to concentration camps. That was around forty years ago.
It reminds me of how the Confederate rebellion was sold to Southern Americans. It was argued that if slaves were freed that former slaves would mount an insurrection, rise up and kill their former owners and other whites.

I'm an atheist. I think all religions are total BS. Snake oil for the rubes. And in all that time I have never ever thought religions should be made illegal. I might tell you that Christianity is crap. Just as I think homeopathy, Scientology and Mormonism is crap. But if you choose to eat a **** sandwich, that is your choice and always should be.

Last edited by acbytesla; 11th July 2021 at 05:35 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2021, 05:38 PM   #89
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
It reminds me of how the Confederate rebellion was sold to Southern Americans. It was argued that if slaves were freed that former slaves would mount an insurrection, rise up and kill their former owners and other whites.

I'm an atheist. I think all religions are total BS. Snake oil for the rubes. And in all that time I have never ever thought religions should be made illegal. I might tell you that Christianity is crap. Just as I think homeopathy, Scientology and Mormonism is crap. But if you choose to eat a **** sandwich, that is your choice and always should be.
That's my belief, too. If someone wants to belief in a Sky Daddy, they are welcome to it. Just don't try to impose it on me or anyone else.
Old 11th July 2021, 05:40 PM   #90
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I've seen this before:

So I went to the VAERS site and looked at the "deaths reported". Not ONE of them, according to the death certificates, was due to getting a vaccine; they all died from other causes but just happened to have had a vaccine recently. They were totally unrelated.

Man with end stage terminal cancer, age 98, dies 2 weeks after getting a tetanus shot after impaling his hand on a rusty nail. Cause of death: old age and lung cancer.

Anti-vaxxers: Man dies after getting vaccine!
Isn't it amazing how that works?

I do believe that it is likely possible that someone could have a severe reaction to the vaccine and die as a result. But the evidence that the vaccine is more dangerous than COVID for the vast majority is nonsense.

Last edited by acbytesla; 11th July 2021 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11th July 2021, 05:55 PM   #91
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Isn't it amazing how that works?

I do believe that it is likely possible that someone could have a severe reaction to the vaccine and die as a result. But the evidence that the vaccine is more dangerous than COVID for the vast majority is nonsense.
Absolutely. But that is due a person's own immune system and not the vaccine.
I can't eat shrimp or I break out in horrible, itching hives and my face swells up like a balloon for several hours. But I don't blame the shrimp and declare it a danger to the rest of society.
Old 12th July 2021, 06:45 AM   #92
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

What's really delicious is that last year the reactionaries claimed everyone dying with COVID was attributed to COVID.

Now they leap at any death by a person who had the vaccine as being because of the vaccine.

They are doing exactly what they objected to (but were wrong about).
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2021, 06:52 AM   #93
Leftus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Your exposure may be limited, but you are still exposed. As ACbytesla said, you can just walk into most pharmacies and get it right away. "I'll get around to it sometime" could be the worst mistake you ever make. And the last.
Walk into pharmacies with the sick people! are you mad!

Until my exposure gets above an effective zero, it's really not a concern. I'm more likely to get into a car crash going to the pharmacy than catch Covid. So until I get actual notice that I have to go into the office, or travel, I'm probably not going to take small risks to defeat an even smaller risk.

Last time I trusted the government to give me a shot to protect me from something, was 1990? Forgot what it was, but it was a "bad batch" and the side effects sucked. Gulf war 1 pre deployment shots. So got a bit of a trust issue.

Last edited by Leftus; 12th July 2021 at 07:00 AM.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2021, 08:34 AM   #94
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Leftus View Post

Until my exposure gets above an effective zero, it's really not a concern. I'm more likely to get into a car crash going to the pharmacy than catch Covid. So until I get actual notice that I have to go into the office, or travel, I'm probably not going to take small risks to defeat an even smaller risk.

Last time I trusted the government to give me a shot to protect me from something, was 1990? Forgot what it was, but it was a "bad batch" and the side effects sucked. Gulf war 1 pre deployment shots. So got a bit of a trust issue.
"And the rest of the people I come in contact with can take a running jump!" The right wing mantra - look out for number one.
Old 12th July 2021, 09:03 AM   #95
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Are you joking? Is there is no one in your life at all? If that is the case, I'm sorry.

You should keep in mind, that the vaccine is two injections TWENTY DAYS apart. If your work wants you to start going to the office next month they probably will have expected you to have received your vaccine by now.
Old 12th July 2021, 09:07 AM   #96
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
"And the rest of the people I come in contact with can take a running jump!" The right wing mantra - look out for number one and **** everyone else.
FTFY..
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2021, 10:22 AM   #97
COLONEL
Sniper of the Galactic Universe

Similar case only Viet Nam

Major Ashley-Pitt: In our experience, Americans are uncouth misfits who should be run out of their own barbaric country. Matthew Quigley: Well, Lieutenant...
Major Ashley-Pitt: Major. Matthew Quigley: Major. We already run the misfits outta our country. We sent 'em back to England.
COLONEL is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2021, 10:28 AM   #98
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Fair enough, but over 300 million Americans have been vaccinated with no ill effects. But 600,000 have died of covid. The danger is real.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2021, 10:33 AM   #99
Warp12
Master Poster

That is your personal choice, and I endorse people having a choice in this matter. In fact, I pretty much demand it.

Me, I just got my first dose. That was also my choice.
Old 12th July 2021, 10:33 AM   #100
COLONEL

I say if your healty enough your emune system will protect you.

Major Ashley-Pitt: In our experience, Americans are uncouth misfits who should be run out of their own barbaric country. Matthew Quigley: Well, Lieutenant...
Major Ashley-Pitt: Major. Matthew Quigley: Major. We already run the misfits outta our country. We sent 'em back to England.
COLONEL is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2021, 10:34 AM   #101
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by COLONEL View Post
And if you're not? You just die?

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2021, 10:41 AM   #102
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
And if you're not? You just die?
Maybe, but who cares? You makes the choice, you takes the chances.
Old 12th July 2021, 10:42 AM   #103
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
They make the choice to have a bad immune system?

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2021, 10:44 AM   #104
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Except that refusing immunisation puts other people at risk too.

I'm all for the personal freedom to do what you want to yourself, but vaccines don't just affect you, they affect everyone.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2021, 10:46 AM   #105
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It's like saying "I'm not saying other people in the inflatable life raft have to take off their baseball cleats, I'm just saying it's my right to not too..."

Old 12th July 2021, 10:50 AM   #106
COLONEL

It's like saying "I'm not saying other people in the inflatable life raft have to take off their baseball cleats, I'm just saying it's my right to not too..."
I agree, and if you decide to have the vacine then supposedly you have nothing to fear from us that don't.

Old 12th July 2021, 10:53 AM   #107
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

I agree, and if you decide to have the vacine then supposedly you have nothing to fear from us that don't.
That's not how vaccines work.

Old 12th July 2021, 10:57 AM   #108
COLONEL

Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
That's not how vaccines work.
Then why get it if it is not going to protect you?

Old 12th July 2021, 11:13 AM   #109
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

I didn't say it wasn't going to protect me. The point of a vaccination programme is to get the vast majority of the population vaccinated. Do you know why?

Old 12th July 2021, 11:18 AM   #110
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

If you don't know why this is a bad question, you're not worth the time and effort it would take to explain it to you.

Old 12th July 2021, 11:23 AM   #111
Leftus
Master Poster

Are you joking? Is there is no one in your life at all? If that is the case, I'm sorry.

You should keep in mind, that the vaccine is two injections TWENTY DAYS apart. If your work wants you to start going to the office next month they probably will have expected you to have received your vaccine by now.
I live alone with my dog. I'm fine and don't need, or even want, your pity.

The current guidance is next fiscal year. So October. They will not require vaccines, but I'm looking at getting it done in September if the tea leaves don't change. There is some thought that we also might get telework made permanent. Current telework agreement is going into the office 1 day a week, so 0 days wouldn't be that much of a difference.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2021, 11:24 AM   #112
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I live alone with my dog. I'm fine and don't need, or even want, your pity.

The current guidance is next fiscal year. So October. They will not require vaccines, but I'm looking at getting it done in September if the tea leaves don't change. There is some thought that we also might get telework made permanent. Current telework agreement is going into the office 1 day a week, so 0 days wouldn't be that much of a difference.
Why? Why trust vaccines in September more than now?

Old 12th July 2021, 11:31 AM   #113
Leftus
Master Poster

I'm not getting into that raft. I'm in my own boat, not taking on water, or other passengers. My shoe choice has zero impact on anyone else.
Old 12th July 2021, 11:33 AM   #114
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'm not getting into that raft. I'm in my own boat, not taking on water, or other passengers. My shoe choice has zero impact on anyone else.
The raft is everyone. You can't get out of the raft. I'm not buying that you either can or will really stay hermetically sealed in your house with zero human contact until this whole thing blows over, if ever. You are aware that it might, in a very real sense, never actually go away right?

Old 12th July 2021, 11:43 AM   #115
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Nope.

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2021, 11:44 AM   #116
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Nope.

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2021, 11:45 AM   #117
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
I didn't say it wasn't going to protect me. The point of a vaccination programme is to get the vast majority of the population vaccinated. Do you know why?
Nope.

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Old 12th July 2021, 11:48 AM   #118
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Your question is a good question.

It is important to understand that viruses reproduce and go through generations in seconds not years like animal life. Each generation is not necessarily a perfect replication but is an evolution of the previous generation. Those evolutions can make the virus more transmissible or less, more benign or more deadly than the previous generations. As I understand it the mRNA vaccine is powerful and seems to offer protection to multiple variants of the COVID virus but our understanding of this is not complete. So let's say COVID evolves within the unvaccinated population to a deadly more transmissible variant like the Delta variant. But the vaccine is ineffective against that variant. By not getting the vaccination, you may possibly be inviting that to happen

Here's a more complete but by no means a comprehensive article about this.

Quote:
Two simple facts contribute to this answer. First: Vaccines aren’t 100 percent effective. So even some people who are vaccinated will still be at risk. Second: The greater the number of unvaccinated people in a community, the more opportunity germs have to spread. This means outbreaks are more difficult to stem and everyone is at greater risk of exposure — including vaccinated people.
https://www.chop.edu/news/feature-ar...ople-pose-risk
But virology is a difficult subject to understand. Here are list of concepts that demonstrate the complexity of the subject.
  • Many viruses target specific hosts or tissues. Some may have more than one host.
  • Many viruses follow several stages to infect host cells. These stages include attachment, penetration, uncoating, biosynthesis, maturation, and release.
  • Bacteriophages have a lytic or lysogenic cycle. The lytic cycle leads to the death of the host, whereas the lysogenic cycle leads to integration of phage into the host genome.
  • Bacteriophages inject DNA into the host cell, whereas animal viruses enter by endocytosis or membrane fusion.
  • Animal viruses can undergo latency, similar to lysogeny for a bacteriophage.
  • The majority of plant viruses are positive-strand ssRNA and can undergo latency, chronic, or lytic infection, as observed for animal viruses.
  • The growth curve of bacteriophage populations is a one-step multiplication curve and not a sigmoidal curve, as compared to the bacterial growth curve.
  • Bacteriophages transfer genetic information between hosts using either generalized or specialized transduction.
Old 12th July 2021, 11:51 AM   #119
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

IU see the idea you can spread a virus to other people has not occured to you.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2021, 11:55 AM   #120
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I should take the medical opinion of somebody who cannot even spell "immune" correctly seriously.
Sad to see a couple people here who are genrally on the political left buy into the Antivaxer crap. And that is just what it is:Crap.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics