IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Florida politics , Ron DeSantis

Old 13th August 2021, 09:14 AM   #401
Susheel
Master Poster

So you want to do the "winning by last word thing." Go ahead...I am done here anyways.
Old 13th August 2021, 09:15 AM   #402
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Also, to add, I don't have a problem if employers or institutions require a vaccine standard. That falls under "choice". I can choose not to get vaccinated, but I can't work or go to school at certain places.
Right - today, you can't go to public school without a measles vaccine. So it's effectively mandatory. Enough people go to public school that we essentially get to herd immunity this way.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 09:16 AM   #403
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Also, to add, I don't have a problem if employers or institutions require a vaccine standard. That falls under "choice". I can choose not to get vaccinated, but I can't work or go to school at certain places.
So then we have finally gotten to the point where you would disagree with De Santis' banning the choice of requiring vaccine passports in workplaces and for cruise ships?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 09:17 AM   #404
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Sigh.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Argument

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 09:21 AM   #405
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
So then we have finally gotten to the point where you would disagree with De Santis' banning the choice of requiring vaccine passports in workplaces and for cruise ships?
"Finally"? My position on these matters has not changed, although it was not polled.
Old 13th August 2021, 09:23 AM   #406
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Right - today, you can't go to public school without a measles vaccine. So it's effectively mandatory. Enough people go to public school that we essentially get to herd immunity this way.
I see "mandatory" as something that government says you must do, or else be in non-compliance of the law. If people don't want to vaccinate their children, and instead, home school them, I am ok with that. Although, I think it is stupid to not get the vaccinations.
Old 13th August 2021, 09:26 AM   #407
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

"Finally"? My position on these matters has not changed, although it was not polled.
I guess then by the same logic as vaccinations, that you didn't oppose local authorities defying De Santis and implimenting mask mandates then? And you since you don't agree on vaccination and mask mandates that you then don't support him in how he is handling the Covid outbreak in Florida?

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 09:28 AM   #408
carlitos
"más divertido"

I see "mandatory" as something that government says you must do, or else be in non-compliance of the law. If people don't want to vaccinate their children, and instead, home school them, I am ok with that. Although, I think it is stupid to not get the vaccinations.
Fair enough. Given how contagious and deadly measles is, we could see a couple of hundred deaths from home-schoolers in 10-20 years.

Is there a preventable death number threshold that would make you change your mind, for instance with this Covid outbreak?
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 09:29 AM   #409
Warp12
Master Poster

I guess then by the same logic as vaccinations, that you didn't oppose local authorities defying De Santis and implimenting mask mandates then? And you since you don't agree on vaccination and mask mandates that you then don't support him in how he is handling the Covid outbreak in Florida?
I think the law needs to be followed. And there is a hierarchy of law, so to speak. I may not agree with laws enacted, but the system is to be adhered to. If local authorities are within their right to enact law, I support them doing so.
Old 13th August 2021, 09:31 AM   #410
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

A 'choice' That DeSantis seems to have taken away. 'bro'.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 09:32 AM   #411
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Should laws be followed even when doing so could cost people their lives?

Old 13th August 2021, 09:32 AM   #412
Warp12
Master Poster

Fair enough. Given how contagious and deadly measles is, we could see a couple of hundred deaths from home-schoolers in 10-20 years.

Is there a preventable death number threshold that would make you change your mind, for instance with this Covid outbreak?
With Covid, in it's current forms, I don't think that number is approachable.

It is hard to assign an arbitrary "number" to such a thing. There is probably a case where I could see my ideology being faulty. But I don't know how that situation would play out. Like any reasonable person, I am open to changing my opinion on such a dynamic matter.
Old 13th August 2021, 09:34 AM   #413
Warp12
Master Poster

Should laws be followed even when doing so could cost people their lives?
Who is the arbitrator of such matters? The individual?
Old 13th August 2021, 09:38 AM   #414
Belz...
Fiend God

LOL. I guess you read that in the paper.
I notice you didn't answer my question or address my point. Yet another dodge and a personal comment.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 09:38 AM   #415
sackett
Philosopher

A fantasy: Covid vaccination is mandatory. Tents and trucks appear at malls and parks and stadiums. Unsmiling MPs sweep neighborhoods and march the reluctant off to get jabbed.

And they are jabbed, silently and unresistingly, but teams of large male nurses with plastic cuffs ready in their belts. Then the vaccinated are released.

At once, fat, throat-bearded guys dash crazily around, begging each other to suck the poison out. "C'mon, white bro, it burns! It's like a raddlesnake bite! Hep me! Hep MEEEE!"

A somewhat warped comedy, I admit, but heck, I too am a product of my time.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 09:39 AM   #416
Belz...
Fiend God

My thought is, that if something is effectively eradicated, we might not need to vaccinate. If it isn't, then of course, vaccination should continue.
It isn't.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 09:40 AM   #417
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
A fantasy: Covid vaccination is mandatory. Tents and trucks appear at malls and parks and stadiums. Unsmiling MPs sweep neighborhoods and march the reluctant off to get jabbed.

And they are jabbed, silently and unresistingly, but teams of large male nurses with plastic cuffs ready in their belts. Then the vaccinated are released.

At once, fat, throat-bearded guys dash crazily around, begging each other to suck the poison out. "C'mon, white bro, it burns! It's like a raddlesnake bite! Hep me! Hep MEEEE!"
Ok, this is my kind of comedy.
Old 13th August 2021, 09:40 AM   #418
Belz...
Fiend God

I'm certainly not an anti-vaxxer. But I think we should also be aware of why and in some cases, if, vaccines are required.
You're not an anti-vaxxer but you use their arguments. Vaccines are required because they reduce the risks of infection and of epidemics, and of variants. They protect us far more than they hurt anyone, and they cost almost nothing. There is no downside.

Old 13th August 2021, 09:42 AM   #419
Belz...
Fiend God

How do you feel about seatbelts?

Old 13th August 2021, 09:43 AM   #420
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
You're not an anti-vaxxer but you use their arguments. Vaccines are required because they reduce the risks of infection and of epidemics, and of variants. They protect us far more than they hurt anyone, and they cost almost nothing. There is no downside.
Just inject everything straight into my ****, then. I don't care what it is.

Don't you get it? I'm not an anti-vaxxer, already!
Old 13th August 2021, 09:44 AM   #421
Warp12
Master Poster

How do you feel about seatbelts?
Should not be mandatory.
Old 13th August 2021, 09:44 AM   #422
Belz...
Fiend God

Just inject everything straight into my ****, then. I don't care what it is.

Don't you get it? I'm not an anti-vaxxer, already!
So why are you helping them?

Old 13th August 2021, 09:49 AM   #423
Warp12
Master Poster

So why are you helping them?
Huh? I encourage people to get vaccinated. I also encourage people to question why a vaccine is required. I think that is reasonable.

When it becomes unreasonable is when people reject facts. That doesn't rest upon my shoulders, but theirs.
Old 13th August 2021, 09:53 AM   #424
Belz...
Fiend God

Huh? I encourage people to get vaccinated. I also encourage people to question why a vaccine is required. I think that is reasonable.
Yes, but it doesn't answer my question. Why are you helping anti-vaxxers with this "yeah, but I'm not _totally_ sure" faux-centrist stuff?

Quote:
When it becomes unreasonable is when people reject facts.
I'll never disagree with such a statement.

Old 13th August 2021, 09:58 AM   #425
Warp12
Master Poster

Yes, but it doesn't answer my question. Why are you helping anti-vaxxers with this "yeah, but I'm not _totally_ sure" faux-centrist stuff?
If I have presented it in such a way, I did not mean to.

But, I don't support mandatory vaccination, at all. On the measles, and such "old" vaccines, I really don't know all of the answers as to where we stand today....although I know that vaccines did their wonders, mostly, some time ago. But, rest assured, if I were expecting to welcome a newborn, I would research it extensively.

And, again, I always *urge* people to get a covid vaccination, if they haven't already. I have mentioned this in other threads.

Last edited by Warp12; 13th August 2021 at 10:00 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 10:00 AM   #426
Belz...
Fiend God

If I have presented it in such a way, I did not mean to.
Fair enough.

Quote:
But, I don't support mandatory vaccination, at all.
I'd really like you to tell me what you think about mandatory seatbelts, though.

Old 13th August 2021, 10:02 AM   #427
Warp12
Master Poster

I'd really like you to tell me what you think about mandatory seatbelts, though.
I already stated, I am against them being mandatory. What are you asking?

Last edited by Warp12; 13th August 2021 at 10:04 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 10:03 AM   #428
Belz...
Fiend God

I already stated, I am against them. What are you asking?
Are you against any such government proscription?

I'm trying to ascertain exactly where the boundaries of this principle lie.

Old 13th August 2021, 10:05 AM   #429
Warp12
Master Poster

Are you against any such government proscription?

I'm trying to ascertain exactly where the boundaries of this principle lie.
Frankly, you would have to ask on an individual basis. I think I know where you are headed, but I am not certain.

Also, I think we are way, way OT at this point. You could PM me.
Old 13th August 2021, 10:07 AM   #430
sackett
Philosopher

Ok, this is my kind of comedy.
You left out the part about warped.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 10:12 AM   #431
Belz...
Fiend God

Frankly, you would have to ask on an individual basis. I think I know where you are headed, but I am not certain.

Also, I think we are way, way OT at this point. You could PM me.
Nah, that's ok. My larger point is simply that proscription of behaviour is at the core of every society. If we can prevent people from killing each other with deadly weapons, why not prevent them from killing each other with behaviours that encourage the spread of a disease? What's the actual, essential difference?

Old 13th August 2021, 10:16 AM   #432
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by carlitos

With Covid, in it's current forms, I don't think that number is approachable.

It is hard to assign an arbitrary "number" to such a thing. There is probably a case where I could see my ideology being faulty. But I don't know how that situation would play out. Like any reasonable person, I am open to changing my opinion on such a dynamic matter.
We're over 600,000 deaths in the USA so far, but maybe you mean as it stands currently - around 600 deaths per day, virtually all preventable if people were vaccinated.

If that's the case, then your threshold is higher than mine, for sure. Not to mention that these unvaccinated people can kill people with weakened immune systems and children too young to be vaccinated.
Old 13th August 2021, 10:17 AM   #433
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Nah, that's ok. My larger point is simply that proscription of behaviour is at the core of every society. If we can prevent people from killing each other with deadly weapons, why not prevent them from killing each other with behaviours that encourage the spread of a disease? What's the actual, essential difference?
Because that's the game. It's always the game. At this point it's pretty much the only game.

When their house is burning down, they want to talk about how to put the fire out.

When someone else's house is burning down it suddenly becomes a deep philosophical debate about our societal duty to care about each other's houses. And they'll get back to talking about how to put the fire out as soon as we jump through 5,000 hoops, "clarify" all the terms that suddenly are so vague, and so forth.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 13th August 2021 at 10:19 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 10:22 AM   #434
Warp12
Master Poster

If we can prevent people from killing each other with deadly weapons, why not prevent them from killing each other with behaviours that encourage the spread of a disease? What's the actual, essential difference?
Intent and execution.

If we really cared that much about death, there are a lot of things that could be outlawed or mandated. But, part of our culture is freedom. People have different thresholds of what they figure a fair cost for that is.
Old 13th August 2021, 10:25 AM   #435
Belz...
Fiend God

Intent and execution.
Ok great. What differentiates them in terms of intent and execution?

Old 13th August 2021, 10:28 AM   #436
Warp12
Master Poster

We're over 600,000 deaths in the USA so far, but maybe you mean as it stands currently - around 600 deaths per day, virtually all preventable if people were vaccinated.

If that's the case, then your threshold is higher than mine, for sure. Not to mention that these unvaccinated people can kill people with weakened immune systems and children too young to be vaccinated.
Of the 600 deaths per day, how many do you think are unvaccinated?
Old 13th August 2021, 10:29 AM   #437
Belz...
Fiend God

Of the 600 deaths per day, how many do you think are unvaccinated?
Over 95%.

Old 13th August 2021, 10:29 AM   #438
Warp12
Master Poster

Ok great. What differentiates them in terms of intent and execution?
Basically...intent and execution.

Come on, man.
Old 13th August 2021, 10:31 AM   #439
Warp12
Master Poster

Over 95%.
Exactly. So, most of these people made their choice, and took their chances.

That is the price of freedom, for them.

Not all of them, but most.
Old 13th August 2021, 10:33 AM   #440
heymatto70
Thinker

Exactly. So, most of these people made their choice, and took their chances.

That is the price of freedom, for them.

Not all of them, but most.
The more hosts the virus has, the more chances it has to mutate into something that we cannot control with the vaccines.

Public health is something that cannot be boiled down to one person's choice. Either we shrink the virus to something we can deal with (even a seasonal thing like the flu), eliminate it outright, or be overcome by it.
heymatto70 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics