IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Florida politics , Ron DeSantis

Old 13th August 2021, 12:35 PM   #481
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Maybe because DeathSantis is too stupid to think at all about the consequences of anything he does.
Well, that the question; Is De Santis stupid or he just a very cynical political operator.
Problem I have with De Santis being actually and idiot is his educatinal creentials. they prove he has some brains..idiots don't graduate from harvard Law.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 12:41 PM   #482
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Broheim, seriously, tell me a DeSantis position and I will either condemn or defend it. It's not like he is my hetero-life-mate.
How about starting with the draconian top-down measures he implemented that obviously would spike the numbers?

Preemptively, I don't feel obligated to be more specific. Anyone paying the slightest bit of attention is well aware.
Old 13th August 2021, 12:43 PM   #483
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I thought it was a nod to stundie.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 12:45 PM   #484
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
100% honesty, I couldn't remember the exact spelling of the word that Trump made up and was too damn lazy to Google it so I guessed.
Wot? You're not going to tell us how proud you are of being too damn lazy to Google it and so just created it? Get with the act, man!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 12:48 PM   #485
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I should just point out that I live in Florida and my job is medical IT support. I visit 9 different cancer wards, 4 of them located inside hospitals, during an average a week.

Other people's stupidity is not fun for me and makes me angry.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 01:01 PM   #486
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Caroline13 View Post
He is smart and there is NO SCIENCE on these frigging masks...and I'll go call him now and ask him to reply here. OK?????

In an operating room, yes a mask.
NO SCIENCE -- declared by someone who has repeatedly demonstrated that she has no idea what science is or how it works.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 01:20 PM   #487
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

The following states have 90% or more of their ICU beds full: AL, TX, GA, FL, MS. Anyone want to guess full with what?

DeSantis' campaign is selling "Don't Fauci Florida" T-shirts. Maybe the Dem gubernatorial candidate should sell "Don't DeSantis Florida" T-shirts.
Old 13th August 2021, 01:23 PM   #488
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
The following states have 90% or more of their ICU beds full: AL, TX, GA, FL, MS. Anyone want to guess full with what?

DeSantis' campaign is selling "Don't Fauci Florida" T-shirts. Maybe the Dem gubernatorial candidate should sell "Don't DeSantis Florida" T-shirts.
Link? I mean regarding ICU beds.

I remember a time when hospital ships were brought to the coasts; glad those days are behind us. We just need to forget that time.
Old 13th August 2021, 01:29 PM   #489
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Sure go to Google and type in "Literally any news source at all ever of all time."

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 01:33 PM   #490
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Sure go to Google and type in "Literally any news source at all ever of all time."
So witty.
Old 13th August 2021, 01:33 PM   #491
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

5 states have fewer than 10% of ICU beds available, according to HHS data
https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/cor...-21/index.html

I remember a time when hospital ships were brought to the coasts; glad those days are behind us. We just need to forget that time.
No, we need to learn from those times. Which some people refuse to do.

Last edited by Agatha; 14th August 2021 at 01:22 PM. Reason: fix quote tags
Old 13th August 2021, 01:56 PM   #492
Warp12
Master Poster

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/cor...-21/index.html

No, we need to learn from those times. Which some people refuse to do.
Quote:
Nationwide, 77% of ICU beds are in use, and 23% of ICU beds are in use for Covid-19 patients specifically.
I think this cuts through some of the hyperbole (from the article you linked). Although it kind of makes things a bit more confusing. Like, who made the two numbers add up to 100? LOL.

Last edited by Agatha; 14th August 2021 at 01:23 PM. Reason: fix quote tags
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 02:13 PM   #493
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Quote:
Nationwide, 77% of ICU beds are in use, and 23% of ICU beds are in use for Covid-19 patients specifically.
I think this cuts through some of the hyperbole (from the article you linked). Although it kind of makes things a bit more confusing. Like, who made the two numbers add up to 100? LOL.
This is exactly what I mean about you misrepresenting things. We aren't talking nationally which includes states with a higher vaccination rate and stronger masking requirements. We're discussing the correlation between low rates of one or both of those and the shortage of ICU beds due to Covid. You also left out the next paragraph in that quote:

Quote:
Fifteen states have at least 25% of their ICU beds occupied by Covid-19 patients. Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, Alabama, Texas, and Georgia all have at least 40% of their ICU beds occupied by Covid-19 patients.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 13th August 2021 at 02:14 PM.
Old 13th August 2021, 02:18 PM   #494
Warp12
Master Poster

This is exactly what I mean about you misrepresenting things. We aren't talking nationally which includes states with a higher vaccination rate and stronger masking requirements. We're discussing the correlation between low rates of one or both of those and the shortage of ICU beds due to Covid. You also left out the next paragraph in that quote:
None of that seems to add up. If you can explain the math, where 77% of the ICU beds are in use nationwide, but 23% of them are due to COVID, that would be great. It is honestly confusing to me. It seems like a misprint or mistake of the article....like these random things add up to 100%.

You gave the link, not me.

Last edited by Warp12; 13th August 2021 at 02:20 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 02:24 PM   #495
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

None of that seems to add up. If you can explain the math, where 77% of the ICU beds are in use nationwide, but 23% of them are due to COVID, that would be great. It is honestly confusing to me. It seems like a misprint or mistake of the article....like these random things add up to 100%.

Is this a bit?
Old 13th August 2021, 02:26 PM   #496
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Is this a bit?
Explain?

77% of the ICU beds are in use nationwide.

23% of the 77% happen to be covid related.

And it just happens that this adds up to 100...which really makes no sense.

Maybe it is a coincidence...and 60% of the beds that are occupied are not covid related.

Last edited by Warp12; 13th August 2021 at 02:28 PM.
Old 13th August 2021, 02:28 PM   #497
dirtywick
Illuminator

sometimes when you add two numbers they add up to 100, other times they add up to different numbers
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 02:32 PM   #498
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
sometimes when you add two numbers they add up to 100, other times they add up to different numbers
I get what you are saying, of course. But, I am kind of thinking that whoever was writing the article wanted to make sure it added up to 100. Even though the numbers might not support such a thing.
Old 13th August 2021, 02:32 PM   #499
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

The first paragraph:

Quote:
Five states in the US have fewer than 10% of their intensive care unit beds available, according to most recent data from the US Department of Health and Human Services.

You can't see how 77% of ICU beds are in use, but 23% of that 77% can be filled by Covid patients?

Let's say there's 10,000 ICU beds available nationwide. Seventy-seven percent of those 10,000 beds is 7,700. So 7,700 out of 10,000 ICU beds are filled. Twenty-three percent of those 7,700 ICU beds is 1,771. So 1,771 beds are filled with Covid patients.

Damn new math!

Last edited by Stacyhs; 13th August 2021 at 03:05 PM.
Old 13th August 2021, 02:35 PM   #500
Warp12
Master Poster

You can't see how 77% of ICU beds are in use, but 23% of that 77% can be filled by Covid patients?
And, you don't find it at all suspect that the sum is 100...just like 100% of anything? I don't dispute that there are beds stacked up, but I think there is likely some wonky stuff going on with the percentages, as written.
Old 13th August 2021, 02:41 PM   #501
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

And, you don't find it at all suspect that the sum is 100...just like 100% of anything? I don't dispute that there are beds stacked up, but I think there is likely some wonky stuff going on with the percentages, as written.
No, I don't find it suspect because sometimes numbers add up to 100 coincidentally because of the numbers derived from the data. Now, if you're implying that the Dept. of H and H Services is manipulating the data because they want the numbers to add up to 100 when that isn't necessary for any reason whatsoever, then that is delving into the realm of conspiracy thinking.
Old 13th August 2021, 02:42 PM   #502
lobosrul5
Master Poster

We're not in a movie or book plot. Coincidences do happen.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 02:44 PM   #503
slyjoe
Master Poster

You guys need to look at the original quote.

Quote:
Each percentage is a percentage of ICU beds.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 02:48 PM   #504
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

How about supporting answering my simple question, which was presented very directly?
Yup this vaccine like so many others should be mandatory for very obvious reasons. Are those very obvious reasons not obvious to you?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 02:49 PM   #505
Warp12
Master Poster

No, I don't find it suspect because sometimes numbers add up to 100 coincidentally because of the numbers derived from the data. Now, if you're implying that the Dept. of H and H Services is manipulating the data because they want the numbers to add up to 100 when that isn't necessary for any reason whatsoever, then that is delving into the realm of conspiracy thinking.
I am not implying that...more like shoddy reporting.
Old 13th August 2021, 02:51 PM   #506
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

I think everyone but you understands what was written. Maybe it's not the reporting.
Old 13th August 2021, 02:54 PM   #507
Blank
Scholar

Not really..

If you were to plot the daily value of the sum of ICU beds in use + ICU beds in use due to Covid, I would guess that it would result in a normally distributed timeseries where the average would be somewhere around 80-120. So depending on the variance the odds of a single day sum = 100 is definately greater than 0,5% which would be the odds if all sums are equally probable.
Blank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 02:54 PM   #508
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

With absolutely nothing to support your assessment beyond your own incredulity.

Congratulations. I didn't think I would find anything stupider than this post right here, but then when I looked back in this thread I saw that you are against seatbelts being mandatory. That wins. I can't possibly think of a more idiotic position to hold than that.

You do know that seatbelts don't just protect the wearer, right? That someone in the back seat of a car not wearing a seatbelt in a crash can crush the person in front of them even if they are wearing one?

Jesus.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 03:19 PM   #509
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

How is it shoddy reporting? In my math book 77% and 23% add up to 100%.

7700 beds ICU beds-1771 ICU beds (77% ICU beds in use - 23% of those ICU beds filled by Covid) =5,929 ICU beds not occupied by Covid patients.

1771 Covid filled beds + 5,929 ICU non-covid beds = 7700 ICU beds. That 7700 ICU beds is 100% of ICU beds in use.
Old 13th August 2021, 03:19 PM   #510
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Seriously, you know that they protect everyone around you right?

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 03:24 PM   #511
Warp12
Master Poster

How is it shoddy reporting? In my math book 77% and 23% add up to 100%.

7700 beds ICU beds-1771 ICU beds (77% ICU beds in use - 23% of those ICU beds filled by Covid) =5,929 ICU beds not occupied by Covid patients.

1771 Covid filled beds + 5,929 ICU non-covid beds = 7700 ICU beds. That 7700 ICU beds is 100% of ICU beds in use.
They said 77% are in use, with 23% of those covid related. My point is exactly...awfully random that these two independent factors add up to 100%.
Old 13th August 2021, 03:25 PM   #512
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
Seriously, you know that they protect everyone around you right?
Seatbelts also protect everyone else because they keep more of the uninsured drivers/passengers out of the hospital...often long term or with permanent head trauma/comas...that the taxpayers end up paying for.

Maybe we should have the choice of using baby/child car seats, too? My kid, my choice! How dare you mandate my choice of having a baby windshield bullet!
Old 13th August 2021, 03:41 PM   #513
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

They said 77% are in use, with 23% of those covid related. My point is exactly...awfully random that these two independent factors add up to 100%.
I can't help you if you don't understand how the math works. When you add up the percentages within a given number they will always add up to 100% of that given number.

I have 10 jelly beans.

Two (2%) are blue, three (3%) are green, and five (5%) are red.

2% + 3% + 5% = 100%

2 blue + 3 green + 5 red = 10 jelly beans.
Old 13th August 2021, 03:45 PM   #514
Warp12
Master Poster

I can't help you if you don't understand how the math works. When you add up the percentages within a given number they will always add up to 100% of that given number.

I have 10 jelly beans.

Two (2%) are blue, three (3%) are green, and five (5%) are red.

2% + 3% + 5% = 100%

2 blue + 3 green + 5 red = 10 jelly beans.
Uhh...except that is not what was stated. It was 23% of 77%.
Old 13th August 2021, 03:49 PM   #515
Belz...
Fiend God

None of that seems to add up. If you can explain the math, where 77% of the ICU beds are in use nationwide, but 23% of them are due to COVID, that would be great.
Isn't that exactly what it says?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 03:51 PM   #516
Belz...
Fiend God

And, you don't find it at all suspect that the sum is 100...just like 100% of anything?
That is a very weird question. If I say half of all people suffer from chronic disease, and half of those will have their lives shortened by that disease, do you find it "suspect" that the two 50% happen to add up to 100%?

You seem to be looking for ways to doubt the facts posted. Remember when I said you were arguing in favour of anti-vaxxers and you said it wasn't your intention? That's exactly the kind of thing I was refering to.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 03:53 PM   #517
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
That is a very weird question. If I say half of all people suffer from chronic disease, and half of those will have their lives shortened by that disease, do you find it "suspect" that the two 50% happen to add up to 100%?

You seem to be looking for ways to doubt the facts posted. Remember when I said you were arguing in favour of anti-vaxxers and you said it wasn't your intention? That's exactly the kind of thing I was refering to.
Meanwhile, 3 days from now, a correction is issued. I love the "critical thought" of this board.
Old 13th August 2021, 03:56 PM   #518
Belz...
Fiend God

I am about choice. Like choosing to not spread your legs if you don't want the impending result.
And yet there's an easy way to not have to deal with 18+ years of consequences for an entirely natural and understandable mistake. The only opposition to that is religious.

Quote:
Meanwhile, 3 days from now, a correction is issued. I love the "critical thought" of this board.
Again, you are not thinking straight. If you were coincidentally correct it doesn't mean your thinking was right. 23% of 77% might sound weird because in your head you add up 23 and 77, but they don't add up, so there's literally no reason to find it odd. In fact you have, again and completely unsurprisingly, sidestepped my own mathematical example. Why is that?

And again you attack other people's critical thought when they were, in fact, correct that there's nothing suspicious about it. There are far less likely coincidences that happen every day to all of us.

Old 13th August 2021, 03:58 PM   #519
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Explain the math? What's to explain? Here's the paragraph in its entirety:

"Nationwide, 77% of ICU beds are in use, and 23% of ICU beds are in use for Covid-19 patients specifically."

Is the thing that needs explaining why 77 and 23 add up to 100? That would be for the same reason that 2 + 2 add up to 4. They just do.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 03:59 PM   #520
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Uhh...except that is not what was stated. It was 23% of 77%.
Oh, Jesus H Christ.

7700 ICU beds (or 10 jelly beans. This is the given number of 100%)

23% of 7700= 1771.
7700 - 1771 = 5,929
5,929 is 77% of 7700.

1771 + 5,929 = 7700

23% + 77% = 100%

I can't make it any more simple for you.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics