IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Florida politics , Ron DeSantis

Old 17th September 2021, 02:53 PM   #641
kevbo
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Again Florida is really weird and not just in the way everyone knows it is weird.

For the most part politics in America, as well discussed on this board, is based around the urban and rural divide. The whole "Blue State / Red State" nonsense is just that, what America is and has been for about a generation now is blue cities and red rural areas. Red States and Blue States are almost nothing no more then a measure how urban the state's population is. Austin, TX is as blue as the sky while huge swaths of California are a red as the devil's ass. Saying that a State being red or blue is often a statement so context fee it's functionally dishonest.

Swing States, therefore, are just states where the Blue urban areas and Red rural areas balance out enough to be tippable for the overall state.

But not Florida. Florida is a little different. The rural/urban divide still exists, but it's offset a lot by Florida's weird demographics with a huge conservative retiree populations and a large influx of immigrants from Latin America and other places.
I find myself in agreement with all of this, and have thought along similar lines for some time.
kevbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2021, 05:40 PM   #642
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
I find myself in agreement with all of this, and have thought along similar lines for some time.
I also agree with Joe mostly. But there are cities that vote red in red states.

Quote:
Of the nation’s 100 largest cities, Republicans lead only 26.
https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-a...fter-covid-19/

Five-thirty-eight did a fascinating study on cities and where Dems and GOP residents live in them. They found the more dense and compacted an area is, the more likely it is to be Dem dominated while the more widely spaced an area is, the more GOP live there. In fact, the first nine out of ten cities found to be the most politically segregated are in the South. Only New York broke the top ten at #10.

This also held true for racial segregation in cities: the more widely spaced, the more white people live there. The more dense an area was, the more Black people lived there. This correlated with the dense, downtown areas being more Black/Dem. while the more spread edges were more white/Republican.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2021, 05:04 AM   #643
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yeah, it's one of those weird X factors that are just so unusual it's sort of ignored because nobody really knows what to do with the information.

Politics in America is almost 100% directly correlated with population density.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2021, 06:30 AM   #644
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Florida decided sometime ago to only release data weekly, on Fridays. Some of the sites that tabulate stats on the pandemic have stopped including Florida, at least towards the end of the week, since the reported data becomes out-of-date.

Below is the number of persons who have died from Covid-19 in the Sunshine State. The number is now at an all-time high. DeSantis famously said, if people don't want to get vaccinated, that's fine. "It really doesn't impact me or anyone else," DeSantis said, triggering a rebuke from some public health officials. What would it take to get DeSantis to rethink this? To realize, "Whatever we're doing, it ain't working."

As I wrote in another thread, this has become like a horrible movie that we can't turn off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fla Deaths per day 09172021.jpg (45.5 KB, 15 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2021, 08:00 AM   #645
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Florida decided sometime ago to only release data weekly, on Fridays. Some of the sites that tabulate stats on the pandemic have stopped including Florida, at least towards the end of the week, since the reported data becomes out-of-date.

Below is the number of persons who have died from Covid-19 in the Sunshine State. The number is now at an all-time high. DeSantis famously said, if people don't want to get vaccinated, that's fine. "It really doesn't impact me or anyone else," DeSantis said, triggering a rebuke from some public health officials. What would it take to get DeSantis to rethink this? To realize, "Whatever we're doing, it ain't working."

As I wrote in another thread, this has become like a horrible movie that we can't turn off.
Hey, that can't be right! I check Worldometer data every morning. Florida only reports zero to six new deaths a day!
Old 18th September 2021, 03:34 PM   #646
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Aw, come on! The answer is obvious: that would be admitting to being wrong and that is just plain impossible for a Trump Wannabe.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2021, 05:39 PM   #647
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It will take voting these GOP idiots out of office.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2021, 05:44 PM   #648
Warp12
Master Poster

They are gaining on NY. Only about 12k total deaths to go. Let's see how it plays out.
Old 18th September 2021, 06:47 PM   #649
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
They are gaining on NY. Only about 12k total deaths to go. Let's see how it plays out.
Intellectual Dishonesty: When someone compares number of pre-vaccine deaths to post-vaccine deaths as being equivalent.
Old 18th September 2021, 06:59 PM   #650
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Covid deaths as of Sept 17:

New York Covid Deaths: 7 day average 36
FL Covid deaths: 7 day average 353
Old 18th September 2021, 11:01 PM   #651
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Intellectual Dishonesty: When someone compares number of pre-vaccine deaths to post-vaccine deaths as being equivalent.
Not only that, we also knew almost nothing about the virus when it hit New York. We didn't have monoclonal antibodies yet. We didn't know about using steroids or have Regeneron either.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2021, 12:15 AM   #652
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Not only that, we also knew almost nothing about the virus when it hit New York. We didn't have monoclonal antibodies yet. We didn't know about using steroids or have Regeneron either.
But, but, but......you're using facts and logic! HOW DARE YOU!
Old 19th September 2021, 12:19 AM   #653
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Old 19th September 2021, 12:20 AM   #654
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

But, but, but......you're using facts and logic! HOW DARE YOU!
I know, I was naughty. I'm just a rebel with a clue.

Although, I meant Remdesivir when I wrote Regeneron. Regeneron is a monoclonal antibody treatment. I regret any confusion my mistake caused.

Last edited by Craig4; 19th September 2021 at 12:24 AM.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2021, 12:32 AM   #655
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Yeah, but Republicans have ALTERNATIVE facts on their side! And you can prove anything even remotely false with those!
Old 19th September 2021, 12:33 AM   #656
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Yeah, but Republicans have ALTERNATIVE facts on their side! And you can prove anything even remotely false with those!
My alternative facts have me making $3,000,000 a year. So far, my bank account has not agreed.
Old 19th September 2021, 12:44 AM   #657
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

My alternative facts have me making $3,000,000 a year. So far, my bank account has not agreed.
Peon. My alternative facts have me looking like Elizabeth Taylor in Raintree County and having an affair with George Clooney at Lake Como.
Old 19th September 2021, 12:45 AM   #658
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Peon. My alternative facts have me looking like Elizabeth Taylor in Raintree County and having an affair with George Clooney at Lake Como.
But, I don't want an affair with George Clooney!
Old 19th September 2021, 12:47 AM   #659
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

But, I don't want an affair with George Clooney!
I wasn't inviting you to a threesome. He's mine! All mine!!
Old 19th September 2021, 12:52 AM   #660
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

I wasn't inviting you to a threesome. He's mine! All mine!!
Been there. Threesomes are awkward anyway.

Not with Clooney, just to clarify.
Old 19th September 2021, 01:30 AM   #661
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Been there. Threesomes are awkward anyway.

Not with Clooney, just to clarify.
Threesomes with Clooney aren't awkward? You devil.....
Old 19th September 2021, 01:43 AM   #662
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Threesomes with Clooney aren't awkward? You devil.....
Old 19th September 2021, 05:38 AM   #663
slyjoe
Master Poster

I know, I was naughty. I'm just a rebel with a clue.

Although, I meant Remdesivir when I wrote Regeneron. Regeneron is a monoclonal antibody treatment. I regret any confusion my mistake caused.
Regeneron is a company.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2021, 10:32 AM   #664
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Don't try to confuse us with facts.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2021, 12:41 PM   #665
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post

And not only that, despite the current availability of vaccines and improved treatments, Mississippi has already pulled well ahead of New York in Covid-19 deaths per capita and is still "gaining" rapidly.
Old 19th September 2021, 02:19 PM   #666
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
And not only that, despite the current availability of vaccines and improved treatments, Mississippi has already pulled well ahead of New York in Covid-19 deaths per capita and is still "gaining" rapidly.
Yay! The South Rises Again!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2021, 06:03 PM   #667
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Not only that, in the ranking of states with most cases per capita, New York places a distant 31st.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg US Top Ten states per capita cases 09182021.jpg (74.0 KB, 10 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2021, 07:04 PM   #668
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I've heard a dozen hospital directors state that they have no ICU beds occupied by anyone vaccinated.
Old 19th September 2021, 07:09 PM   #669
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I've heard a dozen hospital directors state that they have no ICU beds occupied by anyone vaccinated.
But they're not a threat to the common good or affecting anyone else!
Old 19th September 2021, 07:49 PM   #670
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

But they're not a threat to the common good or affecting anyone else!
I just read this story about a Florida man who didn't get vaccinated. 11 of his family members became infected in July. NONE of whom were vaccinated. This despite his wife getting COVID in December.

Five of them developed full blown COVID-19 and became sick to varying degrees. This particular Florida man was hospitalized and was intubated and also was put on ECMO machine. But only after finding a hospital in Connecticut that would take him. 169 hospitals said they couldn't help.

ECMO is another term for a heart lung machine. It takes blood from your veins and oxygenates it and then returns it to your body. It is usually used for patients requiring heart bypass, heart transplants or lung transplants.

I have a friend who sells supplies for these machines. Ordinarily he makes a very good living. COVID has resulted in him making a killing excuse the expression. But he hates it. The doctors that make the purchasing decisions are being run both physically and emotionally ragged. These people are not only his customers, they are his friends.

The other dark side is that people who need heart bypass surgery cannot get the needed ECMO treatment.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/09/19/h...ons/index.html
Old 19th September 2021, 10:04 PM   #671
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I just read this story about a Florida man who didn't get vaccinated. 11 of his family members became infected in July. NONE of whom were vaccinated. This despite his wife getting COVID in December.

Five of them developed full blown COVID-19 and became sick to varying degrees. This particular Florida man was hospitalized and was intubated and also was put on ECMO machine. But only after finding a hospital in Connecticut that would take him. 169 hospitals said they couldn't help.

ECMO is another term for a heart lung machine. It takes blood from your veins and oxygenates it and then returns it to your body. It is usually used for patients requiring heart bypass, heart transplants or lung transplants.

I have a friend who sells supplies for these machines. Ordinarily he makes a very good living. COVID has resulted in him making a killing excuse the expression. But he hates it. The doctors that make the purchasing decisions are being run both physically and emotionally ragged. These people are not only his customers, they are his friends.

The other dark side is that people who need heart bypass surgery cannot get the needed ECMO treatment.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/09/19/h...ons/index.html
Given US medical insurance costs, it probably cost them a fortune that they don't have. And yet the vaccine is being supplied free...
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2021, 03:50 AM   #672
catsmate
No longer the 1

Not only that, in the ranking of states with most cases per capita, New York places a distant 31st.
Again, Republicans (especially Trumpettes) are uninterested in facts that contradict their opinions.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2021, 11:45 AM   #673
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

For the first time in its history, Alabama had more deaths than births in 2020. Seven thousand deaths were from Covid.
Old 20th September 2021, 12:01 PM   #674
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Casualties from Covid are forever going to be part of US history, and history will not be kind to those who should have done much more to protect their fellow Americans.
Old 20th September 2021, 03:47 PM   #675
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Yay! The South Rises Again!
An apt comparison.

At least 75 thousand Confederate soldiers died of wounds suffered in combat. Estimates of the number of Confederate soldiers killed by combat or by disease range from about 260 to 300 thousand.

Thus far, COVID-19 has killed about 233229 people in states of the Confederacy. It seems likely that COVID-19 will soon have killed more Southerners than the American Civil War.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2021, 04:47 PM   #676
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by W.D.Clinger View Post
An apt comparison.

At least 75 thousand Confederate soldiers died of wounds suffered in combat. Estimates of the number of Confederate soldiers killed by combat or by disease range from about 260 to 300 thousand.

Thus far, COVID-19 has killed about 233229 people in states of the Confederacy. It seems likely that COVID-19 will soon have killed more Southerners than the American Civil War.
Rather than the word "killed", perhaps "suicided"??
Old 21st September 2021, 05:09 PM   #677
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Governor Death just appointed an anti masker/Anti Mandate doctor as FLorida Surgeon General.
Man, he really thinks he can ride this to the 2024 nomination.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2021, 05:35 PM   #678
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Governor Death just appointed an anti masker/Anti Mandate doctor as FLorida Surgeon General.
Dr. Death?

Dr. Ronny Jackson?

Dr. Tenpenney?

Dr. Doolittle?

Dr. Jekyll?

Last edited by Stacyhs; 21st September 2021 at 05:37 PM.
Old 21st September 2021, 05:43 PM   #679
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
For Veep? Cause Donny's got the top spot sewed up, if he wants it.
Old 21st September 2021, 06:05 PM   #680
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
For Veep? Cause Donny's got the top spot sewed up, if he wants it.
That is what is bizarre;I think De Santis really thinks Trump will not run but will annoit him as the holy sucessor.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics