IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th August 2021, 09:59 PM   #161
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
You forget: anything outside the US is superfluous and meaningless. USA! USA! USA! USA!

In the context of this thread, and regarding the question posed, you are correct.
Old 29th August 2021, 10:02 PM   #162
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
In the context of this thread, and the question posed, you are correct.
No, it's not because there are Americans who vote that live outside the US as is their right as US citizens. Your dismissing them is both illogical and irrational. Par for the course.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 10:03 PM   #163
Warp12
Master Poster

No, it's not because there are Americans who vote that live outside the US as is their right as US citizens. Your dismissing them is both illogical and irrational. Par for the course.
I'm sure that everyone commenting from abroad here, is certainly a registered Democrat.
Old 29th August 2021, 10:06 PM   #164
Warp12
Master Poster

For someone who was whining that I wouldn't answer his question (which I did and linked to), Warp has still failed to answer mine.
I'm still waiting for a direct answer, where you don't tap dance and juggle.
Old 29th August 2021, 10:10 PM   #165
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I'm still waiting for a direct answer, where you don't tap dance and juggle.
I gave you an answer. If you don't like it, that's not my problem. Why don't you answer mine just once?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 10:20 PM   #166
Warp12
Master Poster

I gave you an answer. If you don't like it, that's not my problem. Why don't you answer mine just once?
Because this thread isn't about you and any superfluous questions you might construct. You have yet to answer the question posed in the OP, to my satisfaction.
Old 29th August 2021, 10:41 PM   #167
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I'm sure that everyone commenting from abroad here, is certainly a registered Democrat.
You moved the goalpost. Your original question asked:
"My question is, as a Democrat, what do you think of the trade off? Which would you choose, the current Covid death toll (and a Dem in charge), or a country without the virus, and Trump still ruling?"

You didn't stipulate they had to LIVE in the US.

You also said:

"If you are living abroad, I lump you into the "International" contingent. Like it, or not. Because, it seems unlikely that you would be voting Democrat here, while taking up residency in a foreign country. Although, it wouldn't surprise me...these are Democrats, after all."

Apparently you don't realize that US citizens legally can, and do, vote, while living abroad. In fact, ex-pat voting hit a record high in 2020. But why let facts get in the way of what you think?

Last edited by Stacyhs; 29th August 2021 at 10:45 PM.
Old 29th August 2021, 10:45 PM   #168
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Because this thread isn't about you and any superfluous questions you might construct. You have yet to answer the question posed in the OP, to my satisfaction.
Oh, I see. It has to be to your 'satisfaction'. Talk about tap dance and juggle!

Old 29th August 2021, 10:48 PM   #169
Warp12
Master Poster

Oh, I see. It has to be to your 'satisfaction'. Talk about tap dance and juggle!

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...c7060de935.jpg
Yet another way to avoid answering the simple question.
Old 29th August 2021, 10:49 PM   #170
Warp12
Master Poster

Apparently you don't realize that US citizens legally can, and do, vote, while living abroad. In fact, ex-pat voting hit a record high in 2020. But why let facts get in the way of what you think?
I bet it did.
Old 29th August 2021, 11:07 PM   #171
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Yet another way to avoid answering the simple question.
Sigh. The fact that you have to constantly fall back on this sad, tired line only confirms that ya got nuthin' else. No surprise there. But very boring. I suggest you might find what you're really looking for over on the OAN board or maybe Gettr because you're not going to find it here. Buh-bye!

Old 29th August 2021, 11:15 PM   #172
Warp12
Master Poster

Sigh. The fact that you have to constantly fall back on this sad, tired line only confirms that ya got nuthin' else. No surprise there. But very boring. I suggest you might find what you're really looking for over on the OAN board or maybe Gettr because you're not going to find it here. Buh-bye!

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...c74b2a9838.jpg
I'm not quite sure what you are babbling about. But I am glad to see you skulk off. And, not surprisingly, you still didn't answer the question at hand.
Old 29th August 2021, 11:23 PM   #173
Susheel
Master Poster

I'm not quite sure what you are babbling about. But I am glad to see you skulk off. And, not surprisingly, you still didn't answer the question at hand.
Problems with reading comprehension? That is not a cross others should be bearing for you.
Old 29th August 2021, 11:25 PM   #174
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
Problems with reading comprehension? That is not a cross others should be bearing for you.
Are you a registered voting Democrat who can answer the question posed, or are you just here to add some quips?
Old 29th August 2021, 11:41 PM   #175
Warp12
Master Poster

I admire the couple of posters with the sack to admit that they hate Trump so much that they would sooner see 600k dead, than have him in office again.

The true number of those with such an opinion will never be known, even in this forum, or thread.

Last edited by Warp12; 29th August 2021 at 11:42 PM.
Warp12 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2021, 12:31 AM   #176
Susheel
Master Poster

Hating Trump or someone like Modi is a perfectly valid political stance. We don't need "a sack" to admit that.
Old 30th August 2021, 12:32 AM   #177
Warp12
Master Poster

Hating Trump or someone like Modi is a perfectly valid political stance. We don't need "a sack" to admit that.
My question is, as a Democrat, what do you think of the trade off? Which would you choose, the current Covid death toll (and a Dem in charge), or a country without the virus, and Trump still ruling?
Can you answer the question posed, as a registered Democrat? If not, why are you here?
Old 30th August 2021, 01:27 AM   #178
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Luckily, we already know the answer from the inverse question:
Trump did absolutely let hundreds of thousands die in order to boost his re-election chances.
Old 30th August 2021, 01:32 AM   #179
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Can you answer the question posed, as a registered Democrat? If not, why are you here?
As a person with no skin in the game on this one, the question is improperly formed, so cannot be validly answered. It's both a false dichotomy and presupposes conditions that are not in evidence.
Old 30th August 2021, 01:34 AM   #180
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Kid Eager View Post
As a person with no skin in the game on this one, the question is improperly formed, so cannot be validly answered. It's both a false dichotomy and presupposes conditions that are not in evidence.
Can we thus "cut to the chase"? So, what is your answer?
Old 30th August 2021, 01:38 AM   #181
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Can we thus "cut to the chase"? So, what is your answer?
Not a registered Democrat, so why do you ask?
Old 30th August 2021, 01:39 AM   #182
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Not a registered Democrat, so why do you ask?
Is that true? A simple declaration of such does invalidate the opinion, certainly.
Old 30th August 2021, 02:40 AM   #183
Susheel
Master Poster

Is that true? A simple declaration of such does invalidate the opinion, certainly.
You question is just as valid as "When did you stop beating your wife?"
Old 30th August 2021, 02:47 AM   #184
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

why would it?

Plenty of Republicans hate Trump, and plenty of Dems are ambivalent about him.
Why are certain opinions only valid if you have a certain party affiliation?
Old 30th August 2021, 02:53 AM   #185
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
why would it?

Plenty of Republicans hate Trump, and plenty of Dems are ambivalent about him.
Why are certain opinions only valid if you have a certain party affiliation?
Because of the constraints of the question that I posed.
Old 30th August 2021, 03:28 AM   #186
sphenisc
Philosopher

A lot of otherwise rational people do seem to have a blind spot in that regard.

https://www.lesswrong.com/posts/s9hT...e-hypothetical
Old 30th August 2021, 03:45 AM   #187
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Not all Dems voted for Biden, and not all Republicans voted for Trump.
So by your own standards, your question is meaningless.
Old 30th August 2021, 03:49 AM   #188
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
A lot of otherwise rational people do seem to have a blind spot in that regard.

https://www.lesswrong.com/posts/s9hT...e-hypothetical
I don’t think the initial post is expressed as a hypothetical.
Old 30th August 2021, 04:02 AM   #189
Warp12
Master Poster

How could the question posed not be as such?
Old 30th August 2021, 04:34 AM   #190
sphenisc
Philosopher

Do you think you have the actual power to choose 'a country without the virus, and Trump still ruling' ?

Don't you think there is an implied "In a hypothetical scenario where you have the power to alter time-lines, would you..."
Old 30th August 2021, 05:15 AM   #191
dirtywick
Illuminator

Ok, here's a good one: would you rather be ruled by Joe Biden, or have voted for Trump and then have to go to message boards online and invent fictitious scenarios where theoretically had Trump been a good president maybe you could find others to agree that they too would have voted for that idiot to justify your poor choice in candidates?
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2021, 05:26 AM   #192
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

I believe that Trump was well on his way to a second term, prior to Covid. That seemed to be the way the wind was blowing, despite 3 years of witch-hunting by butt-hurt Dems. The gamechanger was Covid, which openly exposed Trump as the idiot that he is.
So Trump is an idiot, but people opposed to his presidency are "butt-hurt".

How does one object to an amoral moron in the executive office without being labeled with some political buzzword meant to demean differing viewpoints without addressing them while signaling group identity to like-minded persons? I mean, while neither Republican nor Democrat, I'd like to be able to state my loathing for Trump without also having to be labeled a social justice warrior, or being accused of virtue signalling, and without mention of liberal tears or fixations on my anus.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2021, 05:35 AM   #193
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
Do you think you have the actual power to choose 'a country without the virus, and Trump still ruling' ?

Don't you think there is an implied "In a hypothetical scenario where you have the power to alter time-lines, would you..."
Don’t laugh, but I read it a a statement of belief that by having Trump still ruling there would have been no Corona deaths…. In my defence, I’ve recently have been in discussion with a sovereign citizen with a dash of 5G paranoia, so this interpretation didn’t seem at all odd.
Old 30th August 2021, 06:12 AM   #194
sphenisc
Philosopher

Don’t laugh, but I read it a a statement of belief that by having Trump still ruling there would have been no Corona deaths…. In my defence, I’ve recently have been in discussion with a sovereign citizen with a dash of 5G paranoia, so this interpretation didn’t seem at all odd.
No worries.

(I only laughed a little bit.)
Old 30th August 2021, 06:21 AM   #195
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Two disturbing scenarios to contemplate...

1. Meanies on a discussion forum take your asinine bait concerning an absurd, alternate reality scenario.

2. The gross negligence of a sociopathic wannabe fascist who caused lots of people to die.

Which of these concepts should I allocate my time to? I must ponder this conundrum further.
Old 30th August 2021, 06:24 AM   #196
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Two disturbing scenarios to contemplate...

1. Meanies on a discussion forum take your asinine bait concerning an absurd, alternate reality scenario.

2. The gross negligence of a sociopathic wannabe fascist who caused lots of people to die.

Which of these concepts should I allocate my time to? I must ponder this conundrum further.
Couldn't we just strangle baby Hitler instead?
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2021, 06:30 AM   #197
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Right now, anyone who does not kiss Trump's rump ring is probably not just liberal or lefties, but a commie. I always have to suppress a laugh when people refer to Democrats as liberals or leftists.
That's what kills me. To many other countries, our "pinko-commie ultra-left" is actually right of center.
Old 30th August 2021, 06:58 AM   #198
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

So, given the choice...our current administration with Covid, or Trump without, which would you choose? I have a feeling that a lot of Democrats would rather see Trump out of office, given that choice. and are quite happy about their Covid windfall.
At this time, I care less about covid than I fear civil war - not that the two can be fully separated either, as the virus and its effects are a massive part of what's destabilizing society. (But the windfall you speak of is almost 100% self-imposed by Trump supporting anti-vax people, so I don't know why your model assumes that Trump being in power would stop the covid problems either. He even told them to get the vax, and they said he was a clone or had been paid off by the Deep State.) When pondering your hypothetical, I can't decide if the crazy seditionist-types are more likely to start a war with Trump in power or without. I want an administration that settles them down se we can all go back to our lives. Climate change really is going to kill us soon (or kill our way of life, anyway), and I'd really just like a few more years to experience some good. I'm getting worried I will not have that chance.

I also disagree with your last sentence, but it kind of serves to illustrate why politics are so useless. People treat them like sports teams. Voters should vote on policy, period. Not individuals. That will never happen, though, so I'm just building my bunker.

Aren't you glad you asked?

Last edited by Butter!; 30th August 2021 at 07:06 AM.
Butter! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2021, 06:59 AM   #199
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Wow. You really have some dumb views on how reality works.
I had drafted a post talking about how I actually voted for George W Bush while living abroad, as well as receiving my Bush stimulus check (!) to my overseas address, etc. etc. etc.

But your response is more concise and captures my thoughts pretty well.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2021, 07:00 AM   #200
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
How could the question posed not be as such?
I could be posed not at all, but alternative facts do seem to have a "conservative" bias.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics