IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd September 2021, 01:06 PM   #1
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

"return service requested" on mail ballots?

California has sent mail ballots to all registered voters for this recall election. They are printed "return service requested". That means the postman is supposed to send them back if the addressee is not at that address.

How did the Dems in power let this form of Voter ID get past them?

I wonder if we will ever hear about the returned ballots? Which party has the most spurious voters? Will they remove the names from the registry? or will anybody check returned ballots against actual in person voters, look for spurious registrations? 🤔
Old 3rd September 2021, 01:07 PM   #2
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

What?

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2021, 01:09 PM   #3
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
What?
I second that "What?"

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2021, 01:12 PM   #4
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

This might help:

https://findanyanswer.com/what-does-...vice-requested

No big deal. Most official mail and most bills I get have Return service requested on it.
THE OP has never gotten Mail with his on it before?????

But trust a right winger to take a standard USPS term and turn it into some evil liberal conspiracy.

Basically it replaced the old "Return to Sender" but pretty much means the same thing.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 3rd September 2021 at 01:14 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2021, 01:20 PM   #5
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
But trust a right winger to take a standard USPS term and turn it into some evil liberal conspiracy.
What are you talking about? I'm pretty sure casebro isn't a right winger. And he's clearly saying this is an evil right wing conspiracy that the liberals in California failed to stop. I don't really see the "voter ID" angle though.
Old 3rd September 2021, 01:52 PM   #6
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
What are you talking about? I'm pretty sure casebro isn't a right winger. And he's clearly saying this is an evil right wing conspiracy that the liberals in California failed to stop. I don't really see the "voter ID" angle though.
It amounts to verification of the voter's registered address. Hence Voter ID.

My question is, will they actually use it as such? Will they EVER prune the roles of bad registrations?
Old 3rd September 2021, 02:00 PM   #7
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

What are you talking about? I'm pretty sure casebro isn't a right winger......
Like everybody else, I don't buy into all the planks of any party. I am a Capitalist/Meritocracist, and I believe in property rights and in the right to self defense. So, GOP has my planks. So to some I am Racist, Nazi, Trumpist, ass hat. But in the election in the op, I voted for Elder.(NOT 'cause I am old )

Last edited by casebro; 3rd September 2021 at 02:02 PM.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2021, 02:17 PM   #8
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Like everybody else, I don't buy into all the planks of any party. I am a Capitalist/Meritocracist, and I believe in property rights and in the right to self defense. So, GOP has my planks. So to some I am Racist, Nazi, Trumpist, ass hat. But in the election in the op, I voted for Elder.(NOT 'cause I am old )
What do you mean "but" you voted for Elder? He's not exactly the opposite of right wing.

Larry "Shes Too Ugly To Sexually Harass" Elder.

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/lar...sment-comment/
Quote:
If youd seen her, youd know that the picture [of her] would be a complete defense, Im just saying, Elder said during the 2011 show.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/31/polit...ren/index.html
Quote:
Larry Elder, the leading GOP candidate vying to replace California Gov. Gavin Newsom, said he doesn't think it's necessary for young people to get vaccinated against Covid-19 or for children to wear masks at school, and he vowed to repeal any mask or vaccine mandates for California's state workers if he is elected to replace the Democratic governor in the September 14 special election.

No thanks.
Old 3rd September 2021, 02:40 PM   #9
crescent
Illuminator

My question is, will they actually use it as such? Will they EVER prune the roles of bad registrations?
This sort of voter verification is part of the reason voter ID seems unnecessary. Because there are other ways of verifying who is who for voting purposes, and requiring ID just adds an unneeded layer on top of that.

You might be conflating voter verification with voter ID. They're not the same. Related, but not the same.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2021, 03:03 PM   #10
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

California has sent mail ballots to all registered voters for this recall election. They are printed "return service requested". That means the postman is supposed to send them back if the addressee is not at that address.

How did the Dems in power let this form of Voter ID get past them?

I wonder if we will ever hear about the returned ballots? Which party has the most spurious voters? Will they remove the names from the registry? or will anybody check returned ballots against actual in person voters, look for spurious registrations? 🤔
What do you think this means? It does not mean that there are "spurious registrations" or fraudulent voters. It just means that the mail piece will be returned to the sender if the addressee is no longer at that address, even if a forwarding address is on file. Do you think some people might move in the two years between elections without remembering to update their registrations, and that ballots shouldn't be forwarded to them in other jurisdictions? What do you think is the issue here?
https://pe.usps.com/text/qsg300/Q507.htm
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2021, 03:04 PM   #11
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Right. Because 'lefties' vote for Larry Elder.

Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2021, 03:09 PM   #12
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
What do you think this means? It does not mean that there are "spurious registrations" or fraudulent voters. It just means that the mail piece will be returned to the sender if the addressee is no longer at that address, even if a forwarding address is on file. Do you think some people might move in the two years between elections without remembering to update their registrations, and that ballots shouldn't be forwarded to them in other jurisdictions? What do you think is the issue here?
https://pe.usps.com/text/qsg300/Q507.htm
Yes, it means they are no longer legitimately registered.

The issue is whether the registrars of voters will do anything with the info.
Old 3rd September 2021, 04:24 PM   #13
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Have you never voted?

In case you didn't notice, that is why people register to vote. It's also how the system works and how it has always worked.

The idiots pusing for voter ID ignore this step in voting as if people can just show up and vote. No, you show up, review/confirm your registration then vote.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2021, 04:25 PM   #14
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
This sort of voter verification is part of the reason voter ID seems [is] unnecessary. Because there are other ways of verifying who is who for voting purposes, and requiring ID just adds an unneeded layer on top of that.

You might be conflating voter verification with voter ID. They're not the same. Related, but not the same.
ftfy
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2021, 05:57 PM   #15
Sherman Bay
Master Poster

I don't think post persons are useful as ID or address verifiers. I get mail addressed to several different names, some of which don't exist and never did. But I imagine if you asked my mail delivery person, they would not know that. It's not their job to verify the occupants of an address, and there's no penalty if they goof.
Sherman Bay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2021, 07:01 PM   #16
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Sherman Bay View Post
I don't think post persons are useful as ID or address verifiers. I get mail addressed to several different names, some of which don't exist and never did. But I imagine if you asked my mail delivery person, they would not know that. It's not their job to verify the occupants of an address, and there's no penalty if they goof.
The idea is the person who now occupies the address returns the mail writing forward on it and the post office returns it rather than forwarding it. You know, like the vast majority of us do when we get mail addressed to a past or wrong occupant.

Honest you guys, what is the problem? The system works, has worked for decades and decades. This is a ginned up voter fraud claim and people should use their heads before sucking the big lie up.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 3rd September 2021 at 07:02 PM.
Old 3rd September 2021, 11:18 PM   #17
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

It amounts to verification of the voter's registered address.
Nope, it verifies that and address is NOT the voter's address.

I suppose you could argue that it verifies the voter's address as being one of the other 161.4 million deliverable addresses in the US
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2021, 06:13 AM   #18
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sherman Bay View Post

Someone with the same name as me lives in the city that contains the company where I work. Once in a while, mail addressed to this guy's home gets sent to my work. Whoever sorts the mail sees the name, apparently thinks "Oh yeah, mail for John Doe goes to Company X" and tosses it into our mail without looking at the actual address.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2021, 07:50 AM   #19
Sherman Bay
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Someone with the same name as me lives in the city that contains the company where I work. Once in a while, mail addressed to this guy's home gets sent to my work. Whoever sorts the mail sees the name, apparently thinks "Oh yeah, mail for John Doe goes to Company X" and tosses it into our mail without looking at the actual address.
In this day & age of automated sorting, I find it amazing how much hand work is a factor to the mail delivery. Normally, that's a good thing.
Sherman Bay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics