IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th March 2017, 09:50 AM   #41
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
You clearly have never had a teenage daughter!!
I was more thinking of two hours with the doctor!!! On the phone!!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2017, 10:20 AM   #42
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Interesting... those Islamic 72 "virgins" are originally supposed to be not the souls of humans but some other kind of entity that never lived on Earth in material bodies, and their actual Arabic name refers to their eyes being all black, like a gazelle's.
Funniest "paradise" myth ever! 72 unearthly virgins...

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2017, 10:30 AM   #43
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
Fight harder! We're lucky if we get past 15 minutes, and that's usually only if one of the kids has done something utterly daft while I'm away.

Quite. I mean how long does it take to ask when you're going down the pub?
I'm strictly a text-man, I find that texting eliminates the "uhhming" and "ahhing" of people trying to remember the topic or fill any silences. If I'm going anywhere then it's a simple text from me, if they choose to call me instead of texting back, I don't answer, lol. It should only go beyond texting onto calling if there's a specific piece of information to pass on.

If I do have to talk to anyone who isn't my other half or my family, then I basically grunt a few times and hang up!

The worst kind of people are the ones who call you just to "have a chat" or "just to see what you're up to."

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2017, 02:04 PM   #44
TripleScorp
New Blood

At least they were friendly black-eyed children.
TripleScorp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2017, 02:32 PM   #45
Praktik
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
The "black eyes" thing has been used in all manner of TV shows and movies to indicate some sort of paranormal activity going on.
The X-files made extensive use of it.

Such images get into your memory as "tropes" and often get figured into dreaming.

Do not bother to try to analyze dreams.....They essentially mean nothing. Dreaming is how your brain does housekeeping.
This.

UFO phenomenae are another way to track this kind of dynamic in modern myth making - it takes popularization of a certain story for it to take root in the cultural hive mind. You can see the introduction of concepts leading to reports of similar experiences and nothing before that TV show covered it or a big story went around about "little grey men" with "long heads and huge, deep, black eyes".

Which kind of reminds me - the "black eyes" thing in horror movies kind of has a common thematic element there with the classic alien face - which also has all black eyes.
Praktik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2017, 03:01 PM   #46
baron

Best 'black eyes' scene in the movies - Jacob's Ladder. ANYBODY HOME?
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2017, 03:15 PM   #47
Venom
Philosopher

Originally Posted by FormerBeliever View Post
Hi, I'm someone who tries to rationalize or get answes, and at times trying to find answers will consume me. I am aware that sometimes there aren't answers to be found at this point in time, but I would still like your ideas on matters. And maybe there are answers out there.
A few years ago, I was on the phone with a friend and my phone kept glit hing out. A while later (we were on the phone 6 or 7 hours total), probably about 2 hours in, she hears a child say "hello." A couple more hours go by and I hear the same thing. I didn't hear it when it happened to her, but only when it happened to me. We freak out and she later dreams of two children with all black eyes. I see on social media about a week later of the same thing happening to other people. Thoughts? Non-paranormal potential answers? I don't believe in ghosts, but that is still something in the back of my mind.
I've read these stories about black eyed kids in this big book of paranormal or strange stuff...I forgot the title.

It just reminds me today of rumors about "dancing Israelis" or other such claims involving ostensibly real people.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2017, 09:57 PM   #48
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

It's frustrating that the OP hasn't been back to reconcile all of this.

Are black eyes even possible from a biology standpoint? It seems like the eye is pretty well suited for its task. I can't imagine what blacking out the entire white part would do.

ETA: I can imagine what black contacts would do. Several actors have said they render them more or less blind.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2017, 12:07 AM   #49
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

I personally think "black eyes" just seems more supernatural sounding, more "horrific" for someone to witness. Of course a spooky child would have black eyes, why not? Makes sense in the movies.

Not only that, but it's a common theme among folklore for an unearthly being to possess something black or to actually be black, Black Shuck, men/women in black, Beast of Bodmin, etc etc.

When people claim to see something supernatural, it's eyes are almost always either black or red, same as in the movies. Oddly, the Village of the Damned actually has children with white eyes, which isn't nearly as obviously supernatural when being spoken about over a few whiskies.

Old 9th March 2017, 12:12 AM   #50
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Are black eyes even possible from a biology standpoint? It seems like the eye is pretty well suited for its task. I can't imagine what blacking out the entire white part would do.
I'm not sure if it's necessary to wonder such things, as I've not read a single "Black-Eyed Child" story that seemed based in any reality. It's usually a "friend of a friend" kind of story, vague and clearly fictional.

It seems like it became a popular enough bit of fiction to be spread about a bit in varying tales, fitting in nicely with whatever piece of myth you were into, be it UFOlogy, aliens, ghosts, etc.

It probably has vague roots in some older tale, but from what I can tell, as others have said, it's likely a product of television.

Old 9th March 2017, 06:40 AM   #51
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

2D the singer in 'virtual band' Gorillaz is depicted as having all black eyes.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/WXR-bCF5dbM/maxresdefault.jpg
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2017, 09:24 AM   #52
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

As is this artist from Limp Bizkit. The conspiracy widens...

Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2017, 01:28 PM   #53
kali1137
Master Poster

So it was Limp Bizkit on the phone?

So aside from the fact that we don't have near enough information to begin giving reasonable answers, is this another drive-by poster who just started this topic for kicks?
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2017, 03:23 PM   #54
JesseCuster
Graduate Poster

THEN WHO WAS PHONE?
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2017, 07:22 PM   #55
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

I'm afraid this thread going to end with the operator saying "THE CALL IS COMING FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE!"
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2017, 12:20 AM   #56
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MostlyDead View Post
I'm afraid this thread going to end with the operator saying "THE CALL IS COMING FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE!"
The bugger would be lucky to get signal in my house!

"I'm in the house...I can see you! ... What? Oh, sorry...Can you hear me now? How about now?"

Old 14th March 2017, 07:02 PM   #57
tinribmancer
Hasbarian NWO Templar Cattle

Cool

What you saw in your dreams weren't children, but Greys that escaped from one of our secret experiment labs on B8F.

"And belief in conspiracy theories is not the function of a higher intellect." - BStrong
tinribmancer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2017, 08:57 PM   #58
Pianoro
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
There are quite a few animals that have eyes that appear, under normal viewing conditions and distances, uniformly black. For example rodents such as rats, mice and squirrels.
Pianoro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal